suggestions on how to better balance my bubbler?

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
As the title. I replaced the standard sherlock mouthpiece from 7th floor with this other piece- god knows what you call the style, but i prefer that loose lipped bong position for inhaling rather than the purse lipped position of the standard mouth piece. However, it's thick, heavy glass and really doesn't balance at all and falls over if unmodified. I currently use a lump of 'blu tack' (it's a brand- not sure what it's called over seas- it's for sticking posters to walls and other various shit), but it's not really satisfactory; it collects dust, feels tacky (strange that :p) and is not really user friendly. It also moves over time and needs remodelling every now and then to rebalance. And for some reason my partner still has difficulties balancing it even now :rolleyes:. I'm frightened that it's going to break the glass weld near the mouthpiece joint if it topples over properly.

So I'm looking for a better solution. But I've no idea what? Could I glue something there with epoxy resin? Does anybody know of any other more suitable material, and maybe more aesthetically pleasing? Clay? Car exhaust repair putty? (not really, just found some this afternoon... could use it I supppose) Or perhaps have some kick ass innovative solution that will remedy this?

Here're some pics, so you get an idea of what I'm on about......

dscf0373.jpg
dscf0372c.jpg

dscf0371r.jpg

WatTyler,

max

Out to lunch
I've been using this for years, for wrist support. You could secure it around the top with needle and thread (sew a strap on). It's all that popped into my mind. IMAK

max,

Sour Deez

I use a water filter from 7th floor but have the standard mouthpiece. I would love to get that one but cant find it anywhere in 18.8 other then threw weedstar and shipping is insane according to them.

But i also have the same problem. I got the 19mm joint and 6arm hoping it would add weight so it would not tip, but it still does. Sometimes it holds itself up, sometimes doesnt. The only thing I could think of is along the same of what you have done. The bubbler itself is pretty solid, im surprised it cant hold itself up. Ive considered finding a ash catcher to use instead cause it does get very annoying always having to lean it against something.

Sour Deez,

crumped

If you are feeling crafty (and I know you are), you could get some Sculpey, and craft it into whatever aesthetic and functional shape you wanted -- Boris the Spider, the triangle of doom, whatever.

I don't what Sculpey is made out of, but it is cool stuff. Basically, modeling clay that sets into a semi-rigid form when baked in the oven.

crumped,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
Thanks for those ideas guys.

Unfortunately my other half broke my 7th Floor bubbler a few of weeks back. Not really her fault- more the dodgy foot and poor balance- but she can carry the blame. She had used it and left it connected up next to the SSV on the shelf, and the tension in the whip caused it to tip over 10 min later, right off the shelf into pieces on the floor. I've bought and broken 2 now from 7th floor, and each time it comes to something like $120 with shipping. Too much really for those pieces- for the price of the 2 I could've got something really nice. But I still had my new mouthpiece, and I wanted to use it. So I ordered this Blaze Glass 11 Arm tree precooler from Grasscity. Highly priced, as always with GC, but I had to get something as seeing the mouthpiece without a partner was reminding me of my loss.

Came back from my holiday yesterday to find it waiting for me, kindly left in my shed in my absence by the postman.
010ykd.jpg
011zh.jpg

I had hoped that this new one might be weighty enough to stand alone, but not quite. I just grabbed an old champagne cork and have cut it to size with a groove for the tube and sanded the bottom flat. Used a bit of household glue- stuff that doesn't seem to set hard but has a bit of give. Seems to have stuck to the glass OK, although it's only been a couple of hours. Balances quite well, although it doesn't take a lot to tip it sideways. I'm thinking some kind of lateral extension to the cork foot somehow- maybe another cork cut to shape stuck one each side? It would probably look horrendous then....

The piece works a treat though- completely drag free (virtually completely :/) :lol:

WatTyler,

djonkoman

I think something heavier with a wider part that touches the ground(or wich surface is neneath it) would help better for tipping over, cork is really light
maybe yu could look for a flat piece of stone(slate for example), cut the thickness of that stone off the underside of the cork and glue the stone/part of the stone, bigger in diameter is the cork, to the cork

or if you can't get a good stone, you could make a mold and use plaster

djonkoman,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
Nycdeisel said:
Im not sure why you dont just buy a different j hook?
J-hook eh? I didn't even know what it's called :lol:. I'm stuck with this one simply because it's all I can find. Not many places sell them it seems. At least, not with the wide mouthpiece. Seems to be a few more with a close lipped position, but even then, not much variation in sizes. If you know where there're more variety on offer I'd love to know.

djonkoman said:
....maybe yu could look for a flat piece of stone(slate for example), cut the thickness of that stone off the underside of the cork and glue the stone/part of the stone, bigger in diameter is the cork, to the cork ....
A nice small piece of slate could look really nice, I think. I'm going to look into it....

WatTyler,

Sour Deez

good luck finding a different j hook that wont be to heavy. I looked everywhere.

My solution was to buy a bong, stands up just fine by itself lol

Sour Deez,
Top Bottom