Discontinued Sublimator XLR

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
It's things like this that have been said countless times in this thread and the original sub thread that deter me. If there is one thing I must have with a product I'm purchasing is good customer service. With enrico and the sublimator team, I feel like they could give a fuck less about making people satisfied and are just trying to cash in at this point...
The performance of the sub makes up for it :brow:

The little inconveniences of it are just more annoying because its so damn nice to use :D

brucee10

I sent an issue email last night. Heard back 2 hours later and have exchanged 3 emails this morning. They've been helpful for me personally.

grokit

well-worn member
I sent an issue email last night. Heard back 2 hours later and have exchanged 3 emails this morning. They've been helpful for me personally.
This is great news for 2.0 users,
perhaps they learned something from their 1.0 miscues :tup:

grokit,

Johatsu shita

The performance of the sub makes up for it :brow:

The little inconveniences of it are just more annoying because its so damn nice to use :D
I've read many comparisons @Frederick McGuire, but I was wondering if you have tried the cloud and can give me your opinion. I currently use an e-nano for home and arizer air for when I'm on the move, but I really been missing the big bong rips I used to do. I really can't make up my mind on which one is the true heavy hitter, maybe if you could add your two cents I can finally make my mind which to get first... I say first because let's be honest I'm gonna have to try both anyways to really know...:brow:

Johatsu shita,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
I used to have a fakexhale - an unauthorised but legitimate Cloud plus sold by the manufacturer.
It died on me after 6-12 months.
It worked well, and I quite liked it.

It was my daily driver that overtook my LSV for daily use.
I then pre-ordered the Cloud EVO...

After much waiting I received one of the initial batch of intl EVOs that went into meltdown...
The EVO was nice but IME I prefered the Cloud+ a bit more.
My Evo melted down, so I was back to waiting for an intl EVO...
after ANOTHER 6+ months, I got sick of it all and cancelled my EVO pre-order.

I used that cash to buy my Sub and I've been very happy ever since :)

I was kinda underwhelmed by the EVO, but that may have been because I had a semi-faulty unit...

The sub is the closest to an old school bong rip I've ever experienced with a vape. :brow:

Comparison wise, I'd say the sub hits a bit harder - its easier to get a big thick 1 hit extraction, I don't recall ever clearing a cloud load in 1 hit. I do it regularly with the sub...

The cloud has the edge on taste, but taste has never been a major concern for me, so I'm really not the best to do a proper taste comparison.

The cloud wins for ease of use - it's easier to load and attach to glassware, and heats up quicker.

The sub seems more sturdy, there's no glass etc to break, just the heater potentially failing.

Both have auto-off timers.

I personally kinda struggle to justify the price of the evo given how similar function I get out of my LSV...

The sub is its own beast and doesn't really seem to be as comparable to the LSV to me, so while I do think the sub is an expensive beast, it's more justifiable because there's not much out there that's similar...

:2c:
Hope that helps?
Let me know if there's any specific comparisons you'd like to know about :)

(BTW, the LSV is a great budget vape for awesome vape-bonging... Check out the last few pages of the LSV thread to see some recent converts :))

herbivore21

I've read many comparisons @Frederick McGuire, but I was wondering if you have tried the cloud and can give me your opinion. I currently use an e-nano for home and arizer air for when I'm on the move, but I really been missing the big bong rips I used to do. I really can't make up my mind on which one is the true heavy hitter, maybe if you could add your two cents I can finally make my mind which to get first... I say first because let's be honest I'm gonna have to try both anyways to really know...:brow:
The E-Nano and LSV each have similar performance IME in terms of clouds. If you are finding that they don't hit hard enough, you need a sub.

The only other way I have been able to get rips as big as the sub is to use bubble hash in the Vapman (which uses a lot of conductive/radiant heat like the sub, but due to lack of convection will not give one hit clouds like the sub with flowers!).

The Sub is the true heavy hitter of desktop vapes. Nothing compares to the sized hits you get from a bowl of flowers in the sub. If you want big hits with flowers - your decision is clear in the current market ;)

Just do keep in mind that the timer is a gargantuan pain in the ass and I largely abandoned flowers and sold my sub as a result.

I decided that I would prefer to use concentrates (in my case high end bubble hash in the vapman for lung busting rips with flower-like sleepy effects and beautiful pristine absolute shatters on the d-nail for that heady, clear, smooth, less sleepy and even more delicious effect).

If I use flowers, I use the Mighty which is tastier than the Sub, but will not give the same huge whitewall rips even at max temp lol

Basically, if you have more access to flowers than concentrates and want to use them as is and get huge rips, the Sub is what you need man.

By the way - the sub is not great for dabbing super tasty high end concentrates (because the sub makes them taste like everything else you have hit in it since the last time you cleaned it, as well as the inferior taste of metals to other substrates) but will give you huge rips with them nonetheless.

It is an AMAZING way to use reclaim though, you'll get massive rips and if anything, the tainting of the flavor from previous flower rips benefits you here over that bland reclaim/sublimate/avb oil taste!

Even before I sold my Sub I had a dedicated quartz dnail for the purpose of dabbing delicious shatters though. Titanium and especially SS just do not make the cut for high end concentrate dabbing in terms of taste IME, and I only dab the tastiest and cleanest shatters.

Last edited:

Johatsu shita

So @Frederick McGuire and @herbivore21, do you guys have the whole kit with the tube or just adapt-a-kit? I was wondering if I needed the whole thing or if I could get the same cloudage with just the adapt-a-sub. Oh and thanks for letting me pick your brains. There's nothing better than the opinions of those that are like minded and have already traveled down the path you seek.:tup:

Johatsu shita,
Reactions: Poostuff

herbivore21

So @Frederick McGuire and @herbivore21, do you guys have the whole kit with the tube or just adapt-a-kit? I was wondering if I needed the whole thing or if I could get the same cloudage with just the adapt-a-sub. Oh and thanks for letting me pick your brains. There's nothing better than the opinions of those that are like minded and have already traveled down the path you seek.:cool:
A pleasure my friend :)

I had the Ti dabmaster XLR 2.0 adapt-a-sub on my own Luke Wilson rig. You can absolutely get the same clouds with your own piece but if you choose to use your own glass, I really recommend a piece with a large can and perc with more diffusion if you wanna do huge hits. Also make sure to use a piece with a large, thick firm base so that the sub itself can sit on the piece without losing balance and falling ;)

Johatsu shita

I really recommend a piece with a large can and perc with more diffusion if you wanna do huge hits. Also make sure to use a piece with a large, thick firm base so that the sub itself can sit on the piece without losing balance and falling ;)
So something like this would probably be ideal then?:brow: Or maybe bigger...:evil:
DJwZ0Sv.jpg

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
I've got the same - Ti adapt-a-dabmaster.
I use it with my own glass, I honestly don't see much point at all in getting the sub tube thing.
A stereo matrix like that would definitely work :)
I've been using my sub with my FC-1000 matrix pillar bubbler almost exclusively for the last week or 2 :)

zippy

Just to point out i am disappointed now with this DabMaster. I have trieD to contact the vendor now by telephone and email several times to no avail. My issue is even at setting 4 i am getting dark leftovers and i am pretty quick at loading and dumping the atomiser,so this is annoying. I feel i have bought the most expensive vaporiser and it does not work properly. I have just posted up on the Sublimator Facebook page so will see if the maker can help even though i did not buy direct from them,i hope they value people who use their product's more than the people i bough it from. Its a shame as when it did not scorch the flavour was great and now i just get that scorched popcorn taste..
Sorry Just to add i have spoken to the vendor who was very nice about the situation,been advised to send it back as the voltage should change. So i have to send it back to them to send back to be tested. So i am now fairly satisfied with the service so far now.

Last edited:
zippy,

Poostuff

Please delete
So @Frederick McGuire and @herbivore21, do you guys have the whole kit with the tube or just adapt-a-kit? I was wondering if I needed the whole thing or if I could get the same cloudage with just the adapt-a-sub. Oh and thanks for letting me pick your brains. There's nothing better than the opinions of those that are like minded and have already traveled down the path you seek.:tup:
Good question & great replies Fred & Herb, clear & informative unbiased user feedback. Thanks guys I found that all really helpful.

herbivore21

Good question & great replies Fred & Herb, clear & informative unbiased user feedback. Thanks guys I found that all really helpful.
No worries man, glad to have helped :)

By the way all, 40 mins into this video is where Enrico clarifies that the timer is to extend heater life and reduce the number of warranty returns he has to replace.

Last edited:

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
By the way all, 40 mins into this video is where Enrico clarifies that the timer is to extend heater life and reduce the number of warranty returns he has to replace.

Hmmmm, personally I'm not sure that I completey believe that is a full explanation of why they made such a dramatic change and went from no timer to one that cuts off after only 60 minutes.

While there is likely truth to it, in my opinion I think it's much easier for Enrico to dodge the flak from EVERY Sub user he meets who moans about the 60 minute timer by saying that:

'It's there to protect the longevity of your beloved Sub'

Rather than:

'we incorporated a timer (which we know is really far too short) to safeguard YOU from your own stupidity and burning your house down and US from any potential court proceedings . . .'

That's just my feeling anyway.

My Sub certainly does see A LOT of air time, as I know do many others around here and elsewhere too . . .

Enrico even say's that they've had a Sub running non-stop at Al's place for 9 months solid.

Anyway, most interestings. Thanks for posting that @herbivore21.

SubLove! :rockon:

:peace:

Last edited:
VegNVape,

brucee10

While I'm waiting on my new controller can someone do a test for me? What happens if you power on the controller, set your temp, then unplug it from the wall and quickly plug it back in? I'm hoping it will power cycle the timer and keep the temp setting.

brucee10,

zippy

When mine was working i just switched the mains off for 5>10 seconds.That seemed to do the trick brucee10.

zippy,

brucee10

When mine was working i just switched the mains off for 5>10 seconds.That seemed to do the trick brucee10.

I think I'm going to order a wemo outlet and then script it to turn off and then back on every 50 minutes to defeat the timer. That's easier for a software guy to fix instead of trying to reverse engineer electronics.

brucee10,

Jazzah

No way, Zippy, are you telling us that you can just plug the sub 2.0 into a timer plug and have it turn of and on every 50 minutes in order to circumvent the timer? I feel like if that worked someone wouldve come up with it a long time ago...

Jazzah,

zippy

No i do not use a timer i use the knob first to switch off then i turn off the socket it is in,fill up my kettle switch that on.Then i turn the socket with back on then the monkey box and reset to where i was before.So it is off for a bit before i turn back on.Just to clarify my box may have been faulty so it has been sent back.

zippy,

Jazzah

Thank you for your quick reply, unfortunately I can't make any sense out of what you just wrote for the life of me ... Gogo tech geniï with that controller modification

Jazzah,

zippy

Ok i turn off the monkey controller first. Then the socket it is plugged into.I leave it for say ten seconds or so then turn the socket back on.Then i turn the monkey controller back on.

zippy,

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
While I'm waiting on my new controller can someone do a test for me? What happens if you power on the controller, set your temp, then unplug it from the wall and quickly plug it back in? I'm hoping it will power cycle the timer and keep the temp setting.

I think I'm going to order a wemo outlet and then script it to turn off and then back on every 50 minutes to defeat the timer. That's easier for a software guy to fix instead of trying to reverse engineer electronics.

No way, Zippy, are you telling us that you can just plug the sub 2.0 into a timer plug and have it turn of and on every 50 minutes in order to circumvent the timer? I feel like if that worked someone wouldve come up with it a long time ago...

Peoples,

If you remove power from the XLR Sub in any way whatsoever you need to manually press the knob on the monkey controller to power it back on. You are then required to set your desired temp. This goes for EVERYTIME you lose power.

And yes, if bypassing the 60 minute cut-off was as easy as buying a plug in socket timer, it would have been done. Trust.

:)

Good luck.

brucee10

Peoples,

If you remove power from the XLR Sub in any way whatsoever you need to manually press the knob on the monkey controller to power it back on. You are then required to set your desired temp. This goes for EVERYTIME you lose power.

And yes, if bypassing the 60 minute cut-off was as easy as buying a plug in socket timer, it would have been done. Trust.

:)

Good luck.

Thank you for answering a thought I had. My controller is out on an RMA right now and I couldn't test it. When it was working, I would use the knob to turn it off and then quickly back on and the reset the timer and the temp stayed set. I was hoping it would work the same way with removing power to the controller.

brucee10,
Top Bottom