1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Study on cannabis + oxycodone use

Discussion in 'Medical Discussion' started by MinnBobber, Mar 1, 2018.

1. MinnBobber

MinnBobber Well-Known Member

Small dose of cannabis + small dose of oxy = pain relief like oxy without the addiction potential

"Both active cannabis and a low dose of oxycodone (2.5 mg) were sub-therapeutic, failing to elicit analgesia on their own; however, when administered together, pain responses ... were significantly reduced, pointing to the opioid-sparing effects of cannabis."

https://norml.org/news/2018/03/01/s...8&email_subject=norml-news-of-the-week-312018

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  2. C No Ego

C No Ego Well-Known Member

that is really interesting and shows how cannabinoids provide relief... looks like they used smoking in the study but vaping works just the same...

I know in my State if you are using prescription opioids and test positive for other narcotics they take away your opioids... so there is a still a long way to go with any real research ( sceeered people need get the hell outta the way LOL)

hibeam, grokit and MinnBobber like this.
  3. grokit

grokit well-worn member

Chronic pain patient here, my experience:

Opioids+cyclobenzaprine > opioids > kratom+aspirin+cyclobenzaprine >
    kratom > cannabis = aspirin+cyclobenzaprine > aspirin

The equal sign is highly subjective.

No pun intended :p

:myday:

4. analytika

analytika Well-Known Member

Bravo.

Don't know from kratom.

What's missing from the others is the dosage factor. Modest amounts (beyond microdosing) of cannabis seems ">" opioids at the most commonly prescribed *starter* doses. Both cause pretty rapid upticks in tolerance. cannabis is pretty much available in legal States in unlimited doses.

5. grokit

grokit well-worn member

Good point. I have much more respect for the opioids' ability to do me harm than I do for cannabis', because the kind of tolerance developed for these two substances (cannabis is not a drug in this sense of physical dependence/tolerance/toxicity) are vastly different. I have always microdosed with opiates (stuck with limited codeine/hydrocodone), because I understand both their power to destroy, and their limitations. Cannabis does not destroy, and as far as limitations go, we still haven't even seen the ceiling for medical cannabis yet, much less reached it. So I have much less control of my cannabis use, it's not necessary.

C No Ego, MinnBobber and analytika like this.
  6. analytika

analytika Well-Known Member

I'm surprised then by your relative ratings if you microdose opioids. 5mg oxy seems barely perceptible even without tolerance. Compared to a body melting indica? Maybe it's the category of pain in question.

grokit likes this.
  7. grokit

grokit well-worn member

edit: My pain is neuropathic in nature, exploiting musculoskeletal issues.

I use percodan, which is aspirin + 5mg hydrocodone.
    Oxycodone is significantly stronger than hydrocodone, and even morphine.
    Hydrocodone is about 1/10th the strength of morphine.
    Hydrocodone and codeine are so weak they're not even on the chart:

[​IMG]

Even still, my plan is to reduce my usage to 60 percodans every six months, starting next visit.

We're in the middle of a national freakin' emergency, after all :disgust:

:myday:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors