Study: Cannabis Use Has "No Lasting Residual Effects On Neurocognitive Performance"

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Study: Cannabis Use Has "No Lasting Residual Effects On Neurocognitive Performance"

Thursday, 12 July 2012

http://norml.org/news/2012/07/12/st...esidual-effects-on-neurocognitive-performance

Orlando, FL: The use of cannabis is not associated with "enduring negative effects" on the cognitive skills in moderate to heavy marijuana consumers, according to a meta-analysis to be published in the journal Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology.

A pair of researchers from the University of Central Florida, Department of Psychology reviewed various, peer-reviewed studies assessing whether cannabis use is associated with lasting adverse residual effects on cognition. They reported that cannabis chronic consumption may be associated with "small but significant" effects on neurocognitive skills for limited periods of time lasting beyond the immediate hours of intoxication. By contrast, authors found "no evidence of lasting effects on cognitive performance due to cannabis use" in subjects whose abstention period was at least 25 days.

Researchers concluded: "As hypothesized, the meta-analysis conducted on studies evaluating users after at least 25 days of abstention found no residual effects on cognitive performance. ... These results fail to support the idea that heavy cannabis use may result in long-term, persistent effects on neuropsychological functioning."

Clinical trial data published in 2011 in the journal Addiction similarly reported "no significant differences associated with cannabis consumption" on various measures of memory and intelligence in over 2,000 self-identified marijuana consumers and non-users over an eight-year period. Authors of the study concluded, "[T]he adverse impacts of cannabis use on cognitive functions either appear to be related to pre-existing factors or are reversible in this community cohort even after potentially extended periods of use."

For more information, please contact Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director, at: paul@norml.org. Full text of the study, "Residual effects of cannabis use on neurocognitive performance after prolonged abstinence: A meta-analysis," will appear in Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology.

You're telling me the last 30 years of heavy cannabis usage have all been for nought and i'm stuck with this above average cognitive performance?!:rant: :lol:
Don't tell me i shouldn't have believed all the propagande,that stated it'd make me more stupid.:disgust:
Now how am i ever gonna fit in???:shrug:;)

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
You're telling me the last 30 years of heavy cannabis usage have all been for nought and i'm stuck with this above average cognitive performance?!:rant: :lol:
Don't tell me i shouldn't have believed all the propagande,that stated it'd make me more stupid.:disgust:

LOL, you'll just have to do your best. :lol:

Vicki,

Elluzion

Vapeosaurus Rex
the only side I effect I have found from cannabis withdrawal is the HICCUPS! :) lawl

Elluzion,
Reactions: Vicki

VWFringe

Naruto Fan

hahahahahaha

I still don't think I'd have enjoyed watching "Night Rider" without dumbing myself down first. (wish I could get that time back, lol, or that I'd had my present perspective that it was ADHD keeping me down, and Pot was just along for the ride helping me cope...or that my ADHD and the coping skills I developed are probably what gave me above average cognitive skills.

VWFringe,

DannielYS

Numerous studies have found that cannabis use affects memory, attention, perceptual-motor tasks, and other cognitive processes, but studies on how long these effects last has been inconsistent.

DannielYS,
I still don't think I'd have enjoyed watching "Night Rider" without dumbing myself down first. (wish I could
Don't worry,i enjoyed it too.:D
A large part of that was probably the concept(could i have one of those cars please!) and another great addition the theme music...
:lol:
Numerous studies have found that cannabis use affects memory, attention, perceptual-motor tasks, and other cognitive processes, but studies on how long these effects last has been inconsistent.
Maybe do a bit of source referencing on that,bit hard to just take the word of a new member(Hi and welcome btw:wave: ) in his or hers very first post ever...
In my experience the vast majority of studies involving the effects of cannabis are sadly lacking in rigourous scientific procedures and the outcome more often than not seems 'tailormade' to coincide with the pre-existing views of the people/body that either did or had these studies done.;)

Havelock Vetenari,
Top Bottom