Still consuming too much

stuartambient

I've had DBV now for 6 weeks. Done lots of knob dialing and various inhalation techniques but I'm finding consumption still pretty high. No pun intended.

If I set the temp for moderate like a 1/3 - 1/2 heat I can taste the weed in my throat which I think is vapor yet on exhalation nothing generally comes out. So is this correct ? It seems to make the material last the longest. Yet my satisfaction level just doesn't seem to be met. I feel med-ed but there is something missing. Maybe I'm too jaded :cool:

Turning it up 2/3'rds I get the white misty vapor on exhalation, a pretty strong hit to handle. Sadly though I can only get about 2-3 decent hits that way till it's browned.

Generally I fill the wand up 1/8 - 1/4, not packed too tight , though I've experimented.
Also will spill it out and crush it more, though usually by then it's pretty well cached. Most of it is flour, but it will usually get another hit.

It seems though I've doubled my consumption since using this thing primarily. I've done a few tests using the pipe instead and it's a huge difference. I can load a 1/16'th equivalent of the wand into a little short glass thing and I'm there.

I enjoy the vaporizer though, yet it's a more involved process, then a quick pinch into a pipe. Maybe I'm whining .

What to do what to do.
I need to read more here. I used search and thread reading quite a bit prior to my DBV purchase but less visiting since then.

Peace
SA

stuartambient,

Beezleb

It sounds about right for a DBV wand filled so low. The older wands held more so for example if you was to read one of my early post you would see I and others then got more draws then versus now. I am only a few weeks if that into using the newer DBV, only new to me as I was using the older wands still, and I liked the older ones better operationally but I do like using a bit less than before.

All I can tell you is to give your vape a better test drive. You seem to understand the light vapor, the part where you taste it and not see any. I know of a few people who only use that temp, I am with you on that not being satisfying. Reminds me of being hungry and smelling good food hehe. But it works for some.

I prefer probably an average high temperature. While my dial setting will probably be different from yours I tend to vape at 2pm and when I use a bong I put it at 3 pm.

Vaping is certainly not a quick process but using a bong will speed it up but still its not like firing up a pipe for a quick bowl and running out the door. Vaporizing is just a slower process, even when a vaping process is streamlined, it is still longer than smoking.

It is folly to "believe" that you will lower your consumption. Mine has decreased but only slightly and not enough to impact my pocket book. While some people do find savings it is not true that all people do. I constantly say this. If you usage was high when you smoked, it will likely remain high when you vape. Usage depends on more aspects than just the medium for which you imbibe.

Do not feel bad, it is not uncommon for me to get pm from people asking me why do they not obtain the less usage benefit others get. In many instances, I see that they were viewing peoples usage who was dramatically different then themselves. I advise that when listening to people about saving on herb, look to see if their style and needs matches your does. If it does, then maybe you can obtain similar results, if you are different in usage than the person than it probably wont work out.

It is nothing you are doing wrong I can see. I personally believe the amount you put in the wand is low and would only give a few good draws.

Be sure to stir after every few draws. I would also try using a full bowl, medium size bowl and your size bowl and then decide which is better for you.

If your trying to lower your use, first find out what best works for you. Be it larger bowl, medium bowl or small bowl. Then work on way to lower it from their but I highly recommend you get to where you are satisfied with the vapor and then work down.

Now

That I have said that not all people obtain reductions in their use is true but their are other ways to stretch your stash. You can reuse the abv through various techniques from a tincture to cooking to smoking it. The strength varies on the quality of your ABV. You can also make wand hash from the condensed THC in your wand. Simply scrape that out and that is highly prized stuff. In those way you will get back a measure of bonus or savings depending on how you look at it.

Beezleb,

lwien

It has been proven in many scientific tests that vaping will draw more THC out of your bud than smoking will because as soon as the flame touches your bud, it immediately destroys some of that THC. So with that being said, you should get higher using less weed when vaping than when smoking.

Now, if you CHOOSE to use more because you like the taste better that vapes provide, or you CHOOSE to use more because you just like the act of vaping more than smoking, that's a different issue. You may also vape more because you are chasing after that sedative high that smoking provided due to some of the CBN/CBD's and toxins that are in smoke but missing in vapor. But, with all that being said, being that vapor pulls more THC out of a given amount of bud, I would say that most people would realize a savings in weed purchases. Not all, by any means, but most. I don't believe that it is "folly" to believe that your consumption will go down, because for most people, it does.

Be that as it may, Beez gave you some excellent advice above on DBV use and stretching your stash.

(Beez, I realize it may look like I am challenging you a lot lately, but it's only because I disagree with some of your long-standing opinions on issues regarding bud consumption. Please don't take offense. I am totally open to be proven wrong on any statements that I make and welcome your input and hopefully the OP gains a bit of insight from a different pov.)

lwien,

Beezleb

Iwien, I stand by my views and state my reasons. As long as you do the same, I welcome it. I also am not closed minded and am open to any views that have merit.

You use the word "Choose" in a manner to describe a persons style or preference in a manner that dissuades these aspects as if they unimportant or play not true role. I find this strange as I see those aspects as just as important to someone as the effect.

In addition, all things are not equal from tolerance, strength of product, temps etc, so one size does not f it all as your stance seems to indicate by you an example of weeds effects by burning.

While it is true burning does decrease the amount of actives you will get, it is only part of the story and it does not necessarily mean that vaping will give you the full spectrum of the plant and is wholly dependent upon the temperature used. So you cannot say with absolute certainty that vaping will give you what was destroyed by smoking.

In truth, vaping is not very efficient in terms of obtaining all the benefits. If one truly wants to do this, eat it. Otherwise, every time we process the plant, something is lost in the process.

I find it inappropriate to dissuade someones preferences in their usage in terms of efficiency as they play a direct role in the persons usage. While on black and white paper it may seem these aspects are less important, reality and experience I believe shows different. To me this is vital information that should not be dissuaded. People do not seem to take up vaping and completely swap out their style. People are unique and will remain so. I think you would find many vape makers are surprised by all the ways people use their vapes.

I have no problem with ideology, but this is not ideology. I help people select vapes based on their needs, wants and preferences. Those are the only parameters and hence why I do not blanket recommend one vaporizer over another. It is also the only reason people care about my opinion. It is not because I talk a lot or whatnot. It is because I explain my reasons to them and they relate to what I am saying as I am speaking to them and not at them. Which I believe is what you are doing when speak about efficiency while playing down aspects such as personal preference when it comes to efficiency.

I just look to see what is effective. That is the only right answer I can see and finding what is effective for a person has to include their preferences in my opinion. I would like to see your views on that.

I do not want to caste throw stones and this is not an accusation and is discussion only. It appears to me that at times you are more interested in supporting a particular vape over the preferences of a buyer. I constantly see you say the same thing without molding it to the person. So to me you come off more as a cheer leader for a specific product than a true vapist helping vapist. Not saying this is true, but it is the appearance you have given by your past actions and statement. In fact it would take minimal effort to illustrate that, which I have interest in but am illustrating my reasons to you why I am saying what I am.

I am here to help people, nothing more, nothing less. I do answer pm's but I am not a friend to anyone here and yet I am a friend to everyone here so to speak. I do not care if I am popular, right or wrong. I will say my piece, I will give my reasons and people can decide that for themselves.

I have not taken any offense Iwien, I welcome genuine discussion and I welcome anything that may be learned from such discussions.

Happy Vaping.

Beezleb,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
Another thing that has to be taken into account. A large amount of people who own vaporizers own more than one type of vaporizer. For me at least this is so I can obtain different effects. If I want to feel a certain way I know which vaporizer to grab.

DevoTheStrange,

Beezleb

I own a few myself. They each fill niche. But when people are starting out, they are not going to be open up to getting a bunch of vaporizers.

I believe helping them find satisfaction with their first vape is the key.

Updated, sorry Devo, I updated instead of editing before you posted,

I added
"I believe helping them find satisfaction with their first vape is the key."

Beezleb,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
Beezleb said:
I own a few myself. They each fill niche.
And I think for those that can afford it, that is the way to go. Each vape does not cover all situations.

DevoTheStrange,

lwien

Beez, I guess the only issue that I disagree with here is your statement of, "It is folly to "believe" that you will lower your consumption." The reason that I take issue with that statement is the fact that there are more people that will experience a lower consumption when they vape, versus those that don't. If you worded it to say that "It is folly to believe that "everyone" will experience a lower consumption", then it is a statement that I am in full agreement with.

I also got to take issue with "It appears to me that at times you are more interested in supporting a particular vape over the preferences of a buyer. " That is simply false. I NEVER recommend one vape over the other without first getting them to qualify what their priorities are. If efficiency was at the top of their list, I will suggest a Purple Days or possibly a Zap if they needed it sooner than later. If super rich bong like rips was at the top of their list, however, I would suggest something else entirely. Same goes if they wanted a vape to use in party situations. But I'm not quite sure what this has to do with anything within the context of this thread, unless it's just to raise a credibility issue.

lwien,

Beezleb

lwien said:
Beez, I guess the only issue that I disagree with here is your statement of, "It is folly to "believe" that you will lower your consumption." The reason that I take issue with that statement is the fact that there are more people that will experience a lower consumption when they vape, versus those that don't. If you worded it to say that "It is folly to believe that "everyone" will experience a lower consumption", then it is a statement that I am in full agreement with.

I also got to take issue with "It appears to me that at times you are more interested in supporting a particular vape over the preferences of a buyer. " That is simply false. I NEVER recommend one vape over the other without first getting them to qualify what their priorities are. If efficiency was at the top of their list, I will suggest a Purple Days or possibly a Zap if they needed it sooner than later. If super rich bong like rips was at the top of their list, however, I would suggest something else entirely.
My issue is that people "bank" on that saving to a degree and when they use that as a main factor to switch. When they do not see those results we potentially lose that vapist. That person then potentially will do more harm to potential future vapist by them telling of their "poor" experience with it.

Where I would rather have someone pick up vaping with a better understanding on what to expect based on their needs, wants and preferences as it will potentially further success in their vaping and hopefully in turn they will be able to spread vaping in their circles and whatnot.

I treat it like I teach quality management principals and practices. Go for effectiveness over time the rewards are more than quick sales now so to speak.

I understand you do not like my reference about one vaporizer, but you have to understand that is what happens when you speak how you have in the past in various threads, while lately I would agree that you are doing better at saying maybe a whip based vape or bag vape might better meet their needs when they define it but I still see you go into other threads and make remarks about efficiency and your vape even when the discussion is not about that particular vape. I am not saying lets get into a peeing contest on this. You have angered many based on your actions, I am not out of place to state what I did and I do not say it lightly and I did state my reason. No need for us to drama this as it will only deflect the discussion.

I will say as of recent, the only thing I disagree with on is that I believe a persons preferences and style should be considered when selecting vape. Heck I feel so strongly I made one of the videos in my sig. In fact its in the fourth version, all together, approximately 4k in views on them so far, though I did just add another vaporizer to it and tightened up a few thing.

Beezleb,

stuartambient

Guys - thank you for all the feedback.

Few things -
One , I just learned that if you turn around to type don't let a wand of bud and hash face the floor directly :mad:

The seemingly overwhelming myth that vaping will cut your intake down was in the back of my mind. Maybe even a reason / a con (like pros and cons), that I considered. It's not so for me right now, not expecting but not predicting. I became legal a few weeks before getting the vape. Free grams and those treats might have had an effect on me as well. First time I got to really see so oh so many strains. That might have upped my amount. Still judging my fills in a med session I am using more.

Beezleb - I'm in agreement with you on 2:00, but like I said still playing for different experiences. I don't know about the older wands, I got the hands free, but that was just coincidental,didn't really matter to me.
I've even gone to 1/2 fill of this one a few times, very enjoyable, but then I find the need to empty it out and then only refill it with half of the amount to kill it. Ya know :cool:

I like it, I'm sticking with it, but with the occasional bowl when necessary or curious.
I'd be into multiple vapes, came close to the magic , duh , can't remember full name, but the little stealth one. Maybe an iolite in the future but probably won't get a volcano. Besides, on it's own DBV seems a very formidable contender.

SA

stuartambient,

mnmlh

If you are looking for efficiency, the MZ/PD/WDZ vapes have a proven track record with consistent reports about lower consumption.

mnmlh,

PerseusStoned

I use a DBV almost daily and I've learned a few tricks on managing it. I set mine for about 12:30 with a wand that is loaded halfway to the thick, white glass at the bottom (the technical name escapes me, but since you own the piece I'm sure you know what I mean). I generally do 8 moderate rips, stir, 6 moderate rips, stir, 4 moderate rips, stir, then see what else I can get and abort. I do not always see my hits, but I always feel them.

My question to you is how are you preparing your bud pre-vaping? Is it ground especially thin? I like to double-grind my herb sometime and I can tell it helps. Is it especially wet or dry? Maybe your herb needs to be stored better. I keep mine in a sealed plastic container made to keep vegetables fresh in a drawer in my disconnected fridge. Let me know if you can think of any other questions, I hope this helps you.

PerseusStoned,

fail

DevoTheStrange said:
Beezleb said:
And I think for those that can afford it, that is the way to go. Each vape does not cover all situations.
Just a question... I have never tried a vaporizer before and currently waiting(week 2) to receive the orderd PD.

Where would you position the PD? What kind of effect it has?
I like the psychedelic effect of the weed. Do you think that the PD was the right choice for this effect?

fail,

max

Out to lunch
fail said:
Because of the very small bowl that you can fill to capacity, this is a great vape for measured doses. Although you can get quite satisfactory hits from it, especially with an assist like this- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CyUO5o4HIw , a standard sized whip vape, or something like the VHW, will process a lot more herb per hit, and get you slammed in a hurry. With the PD, especially using just the vapor tube meets mouth system, most people find, after a few bowls (depending on the person and the herb you're vaping) that they're feeling pretty damn good and just don't need to load another tube for a while. So the PD ends up being great for stretching your supply, not because it has any advanced technology that provides more vapor per hit (vaporization is really a simple process), but it gives your body time to register the vapor you're taking in, kind of like eating slowly will give your body time to let you know you're full before you overeat. Of course 'overtoking' is usually preferable to overeating. And if you do want to get the big dose in a hurry effect with the PD, a 100ml EHLE (or bigger, if you prefer), as shown in the video, will turbocharge the PD just fine. ;)

max,

fail

max said:
fail said:
Because of the very small bowl that you can fill to capacity, this is a great vape for measured doses. Although you can get quite satisfactory hits from it, especially with an assist like this- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CyUO5o4HIw , a standard sized whip vape, or something like the VHW, will process a lot more herb per hit, and get you slammed in a hurry. With the PD, especially using just the vapor tube meets mouth system, most people find, after a few bowls (depending on the person and the herb you're vaping) that they're feeling pretty damn good and just don't need to load another tube for a while. So the PD ends up being great for stretching your supply, not because it has any advanced technology that provides more vapor per hit (vaporization is really a simple process), but it gives your body time to register the vapor you're taking in, kind of like eating slowly will give your body time to let you know you're full before you overeat. Of course 'overtoking' is usually preferable to overeating. And if you do want to get the big dose in a hurry effect with the PD, a 100ml EHLE (or bigger, if you prefer), as shown in the video, will turbocharge the PD just fine. ;)
Of course the small bawl was the decisive reason why I got the PD. I somoke in extremely small doses and was looking for an efficient vipe.

fail,

stuartambient

PerseusStoned said:
My question to you is how are you preparing your bud pre-vaping? Is it ground especially thin? I like to double-grind my herb sometime and I can tell it helps. Is it especially wet or dry? Maybe your herb needs to be stored better. I keep mine in a sealed plastic container made to keep vegetables fresh in a drawer in my disconnected fridge. Let me know if you can think of any other questions, I hope this helps you.
I remember reading somewhere on FC that some people prefer not grinding up as much first go around. I do not use a grinder but first time grind it down, removing stem, seed, but generally not into powder. I powder it after spilling it out to reload.

As for dry or wet, it varies on the herb. How do those 2 conditions effecting things ?

Stuart

stuartambient,

max

Out to lunch
fail said:
Of course the small bawl was the decisive reason why I got the PD. I somoke in extremely small doses and was looking for an efficient vipe.
Other than compounds released at higher temps than the PD reaches, which would give you analgesic, antiinflammatory, and sedative effects, there is no difference between vapes in what kind of vapor and effect you'll get, aside from the volume of vapor per hit, which I mentioned. The "psychedelic effect of the weed" is pretty much in the THC, which is an euphoriant. Any vape gives you that. The only varience is how much you can get per hit.

max,

PerseusStoned

stuartambient said:
I remember reading somewhere on FC that some people prefer not grinding up as much first go around. I do not use a grinder but first time grind it down, removing stem, seed, but generally not into powder. I powder it after spilling it out to reload.

As for dry or wet, it varies on the herb. How do those 2 conditions effecting things ?

Stuart
AFI being finer ground can only help the vaporization and efficiency. It can knock some THC crystals loose, but they'll be in your grinder, so that should be fine. I have a lot of trouble vaping unground weed, but I also don't have much experience having tried it (just twice). Additionally leaving the stem in shouldn't be too much of a problem, since they still have minimal amounts of THC ripe for vaping inside of them (I do set all of mine aside, however). I always preferred smoking drier herb, but vaping wet herb seems to enhance the high for me.

Again these are all just personal observations I've made in an intoxicated state, so if anyone can correct me or back me up stuartambient and I would both appreciate it. Try fiddling around for now man and see if any of that stuff helps you out.

PerseusStoned,

Beezleb

fail said:
DevoTheStrange said:
Beezleb said:
Just a question... I have never tried a vaporizer before and currently waiting(week 2) to receive the orderd PD.

I like the psychedelic effect of the weed. Do you think that the PD was the right choice for this effect?
Hello Fail, just saw this. I do not own a PD but I would say from reading your other post that you selected a vaporizer that seems suited to you. I have yet to see someone say the PD couldnt get them where they want to be so the effects your seeking are there a plenty and I believe you will enjoy the little amount as I see that was a factor for you. In my opinion, you chose one of the best for what your looking for. Bravo!

Beezleb,
Top Bottom