SSV ( Silver Surfer Vaporizer ) Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenShadows

Retailer
IMHO, the SSV reviews are scattered and have no single unifying thread. I think its time we had that Unifying Thread. Charge!!!

[I mean no offense to the moderators and how things are and an admin might even have a better idea of how to go about this]

Silver Surfer Vape
Editorial Review
For the Company: _________
Company Name will be withheld pending decision from the Administrators

The bulbous glass mouthpiece is great for sanitation. No need to stop carrying your bic lighter yet, youll need it to sanitize the mouthpiece. A few seconds of flame and you are hospital clean. This might not matter to you, but it should. No need to get sick when you have the chance to prevent it. As someone with a impaired immune system, I appreciate the mouth piece being clean.

For all those people like me, The Compulsive Perfectionist, who have fully dived into this science information sector of vaporizing. You look at the digital temperature readout on many vap models, and you are intrigued. You go searching for the proper temperature to vap your herb at, which most likely you will end up with multiple temperatures to go through to vaporize each desired chemical of your herb.
Heres the catch. Eventually that is not going to be a big of deal. Because youll discover the sweet spot range on a manual temperature knob of a vap like the Silver Surfer. AND that sweet spot range will cover the multiple temperatures that you wish to go through. AND ONCE you figure that out, life is simpler.

The construction of the Silver Surfer Vaporizer is solid, and is made in America. The shaft is a nice solid aluminum fixture. The base is not very thick, but certainly nothing to worry about, it still feels solid.

The SSV whip is commercial grade food product tubing. Some whips are medical grade plastic tubing. But I dont like medical grade whips because they get dirty enormously faster than the food grade whips. And I figure that if something is good enough to ingest something through, it should be good enough to ingest vapors through it.

The glass parts of the SSV are tough. These glass pieces are not going to crack if they happen to be dropped. I cannot say the same for other vaporizers, especially some whip models.

The SSV will award those who concentrate on their breathing. With the SSV you can zone out for a bit and have your herb still be good. Not all whip models are like that.

Peace Out,
GreenShadows

P.S. I will be back to tweak this review properly.

GreenShadows,

GreenShadows

Retailer
I'm hoping that other reviewers will post their review here.

So that someone looking at buying a vaporizer can just go to one thread and read all the reviews for the SSV, easily. As it is now, a person has to hunt and search and skim through threads and post to find golden nuggets.

GreenShadows,

GreenShadows

Retailer
GreenShadows said:
I'm hoping that other reviewers will post their review here.

So that someone looking at buying a vaporizer can just go to one thread and read all the reviews for the SSV, easily. As it is now, a person has to hunt and search and skim through threads and post to find golden nuggets.
Nevermind

GreenShadows,

max

Out to lunch
GreenShadows, a suggestion for consolidating reviews would have been better than announcing your review as the 'official' collection thread. We just recently got an upgraded version of the software, which now allows us to merge/split threads and posts. So we've just arrived at the point where we can more easily organize threads.

Good idea. Have patience. ;)

max,

The_Algebraist

Broker404 said:
It is such a PITA to search through that thread and others like it trying to find the few actual reviews among so many pages of posts.
This is the BEST official SSV thread EVER!

The_Algebraist,

choding

BenTokin said:
I ordered a Silver Surfer Vaporizer last night (Sunday) after several hours of researching. In the end, it was the SSV vs V-Tower Extreme.

I was pushing for the SSV because of it's reputed superior whip performance. My wife was leaning more toward the Extreme for the ability to do a bunch of things and have more features, although she was NOT happy about the price of either one!

She hasn't been impressed with my choices of vaporizers to purchase in the past: Dome-type Vaporizer , Aromazap and Vapolution. None of them really performed as well as smoking in her opinion and over time I tended to agree that they were not sufficient. After extensive begging, I was allowed to choose a new vaporizer.

I like the whip style and although I have never tried bags, I doubt I would use that feature more than a few times or to show off to friends. So at first Da Buddha appealed to me because of it's price $160 +/- and it's nice sturdy look and it's reputation from the forums. I almost ordered it, but kept thinking it was just too much like my Vapolution for me to be really satisfied with my new purchase.

(By the way, my 2nd (replacement) Vapolution is dying after maybe a year of use. Although this one was my fault: Left on 2/3 of that time, Dropped a few times, once breaking the top center section and spilling the mica insulation all over. I cracked open the bottom and laughed at what was inside: A frickin laboratory test tube crappily wrapped with some wire leading to the temp control and heater which is fully exposed to the mica insulation which grinds into the temp control wheel as you turn it which is what killed my first unit). CHEAP. It does work alright when you treat it right and have the temp dialed in and the bowl packed right and the height washer set properly and you inhale at just the right speed.....until of course your temp knob gets stuck!!! Way off subject, sorry, had to let that frustration out. I guess that is my mini Vapolution review. When I get the SSV I will take apart my Vapolution and post some pics of the GUTS! mwahahahaha!!!
ANYWAY....

Ok some actual REVIEW now.
Silversurfervap website gets a 7/10. All kinds of pics of stuff everywhere, certain menus for ordering didn't list anything*, when you miss an order selection it doesn't tell you which one... Basically it's functional, but could use some improvement. Also, posted pics of SOLD merchandise makes me think the company is really tiny any trying to say "Look we sold stuff before!" IMO....
*Ordering the SSV, there is currently a discount on a grinder and you have to pick which type/size but the menu shows about 6 blank spaces and you can't progress with your order until you (randomly) choose one. Annoying!!!
Also, they really promote the customization of the SSVs, which is cool, but the prices are a little high. I mean, overall I think all Vaporizers are way overpriced for what they are made of, but the SSV seems to be a bit more pricey than most whip vapes. They could make the prices of parts a little cheaper for those that invested in their expensive vape. They could really make ordering irresistible by updating the website so show your SSV as you build it: base color, top color, knob color, accessories, etc. That would be so cool. Right now, you REALLY have to use your imagination.

So you choose Standard or Ground Glass for $20 more. I chose Standard. If I wanted Ground Glass, I'd get Da Buddha and save $75+.

Then you can choose 110v or 220v. Nice option

Then there is the housing color/type selection. You have Silver or Black or pay $30 more for Green, Orange, or "Rainbow's End". Ok....I guess.

Then on to the base selection which reads: Blue, Yellow, Green, Purple, Red, Silver Metal, Black. I wanted all black, but I wanted metal. They are advertising all over the electrical process that coats the aluminum with this safe black stuff, but they didn't do it for the Metal Base? By the way all the choices are made of some kind of acrylic except for the Silver Metal. So I ended up picking the Silver Metal. I don't want any acrylic stuff any more. Not after my 4-foot Acrylic water pipe cracked in half.

Then you can choose a regular heater cover or add $25-$45 for a fragile-looking special heater cover. I think that should be the price to add a SPARE special heater cover. I tend to favor selling things cheaper to attract more customers, overall a faster, greater profit. Ideally. Anyway, I chose regular. They do have a box there that says "Color Preferences" there. I wish they gave some examples either pictures of the colors available or description examples like "Green and Yellow" or "Red and Green and Orange". Are they making these to order or are they rummaging through a bin of them looking for the closest thing? I typed in "Yellow and/or Blue".

Then you have the temp knob selection. Apparently they are randomly created and chosen as best as they can to match your SSV. BUT you can list color preference here too, IF you are adding a Mushroom Marble for $15 or a Flower Marble for $25. Kind of pricey for me so I skipped that.

I did go for the extra wand which is discounted to $11 when you buy the SSV. I added the $4 tubing and mouthpiece after looking at both of my nasty stained Vapolution whips. There really is no good way to clean them.

I got the 10 extra screens for the discounted $2 after remembering what happened with my Aromazap screens. They got nasty and i would try to poke stuff out with a pin and ended up ruining the screens, which is why I eventually had to stop using it. Also I wanted something that gave bigger hits, faster, with temp control. Again: ANYWAY....

They do offer some grinder deals when you are buying a SSV. A formerly $65 4 piece grinder for $25 was my choice. I've been eyeing them for a long time but they are so pricey. This one has the screen and collection thing. Nice

The aroma top option looks like a glass prep dish and a little metal insert to keep it sitting upright. I think I will fashion one myself and post a pic if I actually do it. $20 (with SSV discount!): I don't think so.

I bought the hands free attachment. Even though it was $13 for a piece of flimsy metal. I am slightly annoyed at myself but I did see a video of a dude yanking it side to side and stuff. It looked like it would work ok if you were feeling lazy. I do like to sit at the computer and vape while one hand clicks or types or ...... ANYWAY......

All that came to $305.96. Free shipping at least. Holy !#@$. This better be good.

It is also a pain to change your order or change an option for your SSV. You have to go through the whole order thing over again it seems. Oh well, I bought one anyway. A large part of my decision was based on watching TokinGLX videos. Unfortunately there aren't many others available that I have found.
***Hey*** If you have a digital camera, and have a vaporizer, I think you should have a useful picture posted. Pics of broken vapes, techniques, before and after pics, etc.

This is a great site but needs a bunch more content. I am new here but plan on contributing as much as possible to get people vaping and help people make a good choice buying a vape! I found it surprisingly difficult to find good info comparing vaporizers. Barely a worthwhile review anywhere. Most of the info I found was on this site. Let's all work to better vaping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BenTokin

Last edited by BenTokin (2009-05-04 09:15:18 pm)

choding,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom