Discontinued Splinter Z by RBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Summer

Long Island, NY
I don't know how long Ryan will keep up his IG stream that he put up 12 hours ago, but in it he demos the repairing of the bowl glass that becomes dislodged.

Summer,

Hammahead

Would you have a link for that video? I have no idea about social media in general and Instagram is especially enigmatic to me.

Hammahead,

HerbieVonVapster

Howdy folks! I am looking for some advice of running the Splinter Z in TC mode. I recently received a DNA75C mod (Hcigar VT75D) and loaded the theme and profile from @HerbieVonVapster w/ the cold resistance locked in. This combo works, but not nearly as well as I was hoping

Try unlocking resistance. Also depending on stem size what screen used can effect temperature readout. Best bit is to just use temperature readout as a guild. Once you find the range that works there only numbers. Try cranking it up to 435

CL52613

Please forgive my ignorance and do not think I am cracking wise. I have noticed some Splinter/Z users mention cruise mode and this is kind of confusing. If I understand correctly, this basically means powering the heater constantly so there is no need to hit the power button on the mod. Some claim this eliminates hot spots and/or the need for stirring. What I find confusing is this; in cruise mode the Splinters are now operating like a Solo, IQ, or Mighty; no longer an on-demand vaporizer, which I thought was the attraction of a Milaana, Splinter/Z, E-Nano, Lil Bud, etc; in additional to being convection. Also, and please correct me if I am wrong, if a heater, placed below the load chamber is energized constantly, it will be vaporizing the load constantly? For sure this would negatively effect the flavor and efficiency. Hot air rises, and an energized heater in TC mode or whatever, would vaporize the load; wouldn't the terpenes be cooked since they vape at a lower temperature? Anyway, is there something about cruise mode I am missing? The Splinter/Z is so much better than any non-convection vaporizer when it comes to flavor and longevity of that flavor through out the load. The first two or three draws of conduction vapes can good, after that flavor is mostly an afterthought. IMHO, only "on-demand" convection vaporizers can produce flavor until the load is thoroughly baked. One last thing, the Splinter/Z's what is the difference between V1, V2, and simple Splinter? I understand V1 = RBT; V2 = China; both have ceramic heaters; simple Splinter = RBT with Mica heater?

Mangu

Please forgive my ignorance and do not think I am cracking wise. I have noticed some Splinter/Z users mention cruise mode and this is kind of confusing. If I understand correctly, this basically means powering the heater constantly so there is no need to hit the power button on the mod. Some claim this eliminates hot spots and/or the need for stirring. What I find confusing is this; in cruise mode the Splinters are now operating like a Solo, IQ, or Mighty; no longer an on-demand vaporizer, which I thought was the attraction of a Milaana, Splinter/Z, E-Nano, Lil Bud, etc; in additional to being convection. Also, and please correct me if I am wrong, if a heater, placed below the load chamber is energized constantly, it will be vaporizing the load constantly? For sure this would negatively effect the flavor and efficiency. Hot air rises, and an energized heater in TC mode or whatever, would vaporize the load; wouldn't the terpenes be cooked since they vape at a lower temperature? Anyway, is there something about cruise mode I am missing? The Splinter/Z is so much better than any non-convection vaporizer when it comes to flavor and longevity of that flavor through out the load. The first two or three draws of conduction vapes can good, after that flavor is mostly an afterthought. IMHO, only "on-demand" convection vaporizers can produce flavor until the load is thoroughly baked. One last thing, the Splinter/Z's what is the difference between V1, V2, and simple Splinter? I understand V1 = RBT; V2 = China; both have ceramic heaters; simple Splinter = RBT with Mica heater?

Hey man. I agree on the whole cruise thing; Haven’t used my RBT vapes in cruise at all since I acquired any of them because I thoroughly enjoy the on-demand feature. When I feel like doing a session I’ll fire up the Crafty, instead.

The V1 was the first round of Splinters with all parts manufactured in China, they were all Bubinga 2-hole. The V2 is round two of the Chinese Splinters made from Blackwood with Smoked glass stems.

All pre-V1 Splinters used Mica in the heater compartment. One of the upgrades from older generation Splinters to the V1 was that they replaced the Mica in the heater with Ceramic. Keep in mind the actual heater is not all-Mica or all-Ceramic, this is just one of the components in the heater.

The Splinter Z is simply a larger heater. It’s pretty much identical to the Splinter in terms of assembly except that the larger heater has more surface area, and thus, produces bit more heat. RBT just recently (like this week) introduced the V1 Z....which simply means it’ll be a Bubinga unit made from Chinese components, includes the upgraded ceramic bits, and will be more affordable than the home-made (AKA “Custom”) units... Hope that all makes sense.

Monkeyhouse

Accessory Maker

I use my splinter Z on a 30 second cruise in wattage mode. This is mainly because the button on my VTC Dual gets warm to the touch when it's held down for long periods of time, and it is a bit more convenient when using the Z through water. Keeping the cruise at 30 seconds keeps the device on demand so I still get those nice flavors and the herb doesn't cook between hits.

Last edited:
Monkeyhouse,

Hammahead

I started using my Z at 60 watt and just take one good, but short hit at a time, pretty much like toking on a joint, and I get immediate (!) large hits of thick vapor. For that, I don't even mind the stirring. Just like @CL52613 pointed out, I love the fact that not even the basket is heating up considerably when I take just one short toke, so every toke is pretty much like a first one.

I didn't like TC mode, it took longer to get clouds and it seemed it drained the battery way more. For me it turned out to be high watt mode. It takes more attention then TC but I get so much fog in one toke, it's pretty much like smoking.

Grifo

Everyone vapes different what works for others might not work for you. I use TC mode and get vapor really fast so that doesn't match up to other peoples experience with with TC. Id like the option to cruise when I'm using rigs.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

It is still on demand, because it is pure convection and only vaping when you inhale. If the heater is left on a high setting for a long time there could be some radiant heat to lightly toast the herb, but it really shouldn't create any vapor unless it is a very high setting for very long time. As others said, you can set it to cruise or autofire for a short time, and either way it is still ready to hit after a second just like standard mode, instant on demand. The benefit is not having to hold the button, and not having to worry about any short auto shut-off. You can also set the wattage very low in cruise and use it like a log vape, which is still on demand so those heat up slower than Splinter. So it is still not like a Solo or IQ or Mighty at all, since each of those have a fair amount of conduction with their sessions and are all much slower to heat up as well. Even in Cruise or Autofire the Splinter is still 100% pure convection, way more efficient and flavorful regardless.

And yes, V splinters are made in China, 19/19 glass vs 19/22, and the V1 actually has mica insulators in the heater like the US splinters. The new V2 and ZV1 use ceramic insulators in the heater, while all recent versions have a ceramic disk as an insulator in the 510 deck as well.

Finally if you are using temp control on a DNA mod it should be simple and effective, equal for everyone. If you are using temp control on other mods, like with FJ's Tubo software or surmyevic or arcticfox etc, the temp control is a total guesstimate. That is why you will see inconsistent reports here, but power mode should work the same for everyone as these were really designed to be run in straight wattage only, temp control is something we users have played around with to varying degrees of success.

Last edited:

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Haven't used any other than watt mode to be honest. Cycling through watts from 31 to 34 with my Z and and a little bit less with the Splinter gives me exactly what I like :)

I use my splinter Z on a 30 second cruise in wattage mode. This is mainly because the button on my VTC Dual gets warm to the touch when it's held down for long periods of time, and it is a bit more convenient when using the Z through water. Keeping the cruise at 30 seconds keeps the device on demand so I still get those nice flavors and the herb doesn't cook between hits.

My broken record advice: everybody with a Splinter and especially folks with a Z should try it on a DNA with the appropriate ecigprofile.

I'm curious about the best way to use wattage and wondering if my TC mods should be relegated to that purpose since in TC mode I've only managed to get uneven heating compared to my cheap dna250.

To this point I've tried my VTC Dual in low wattage cruise. It works great except it gets too hot after a few minutes at 11W and then I'm not sure how to manage the heat soak or preheat for subsequent use. I wanna be safe of course.

My rx gen3 dual is a good size and shape for the Splinters but can't come close to the performance of the DNA. I saw Ryan using one yesterday to wattage cruise with sur_myevic so I'm thinking I'll try putting that on mine instead of Arctic Fox, which is nicely laid out but creates way more hot spots in TC and can't cruise.

VelocityREST

I'm new to the splinter, it seems like a great idea but not that portable IMO. Still I'd love to try it.
What is the difference between the Z and normal version? The Z looks larger, but is there a technological difference between the two?
I also have a Voopoo drag, do I need to get a better mod? I mean I might buy a cylinder shaped mod so both of them go together. I don't vape nic anymore and I'm not sure investing in another mod is worth it for me.
I might choose the Milaana after all. I can put the stem inside joint tube which will make it more portable .. ideas?

VelocityREST,

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
I'm new to the splinter, it seems like a great idea but not that portable IMO. Still I'd love to try it.
What is the difference between the Z and normal version? The Z looks larger, but is there a technological difference between the two?
I also have a Voopoo drag, do I need to get a better mod? I mean I might buy a cylinder shaped mod so both of them go together. I don't vape nic anymore and I'm not sure investing in another mod is worth it for me.
I might choose the Milaana after all. I can put the stem inside joint tube which will make it more portable .. ideas?

I haven't used a Milanna so I'll leave that to someone else.

The Z is a bigger device with a bigger heater. For someone new I'd recommend the V1. You can start with your Voopoo and just use wattage mode. Get a cheap VTC Dual and you can mess with sur_myevic or the Tubo firmware. Spring for a dna mod and you can use the available ecigprofile for the Splinter or the Z. The DNA mod has given me the best results by far. Lots of folks stick to wattage too though.

Shit Snacks

Milaana definitely is simpler, more all in one vape, but maybe more learning curve in use (less so in that there is no tech or software, so simple, but there is a more manual technique involved as you also pay attention to battery level and button useage, aside from variables of how you load and draw)

And yeah not super portable, but new Splinter V2 will be moreso than the Z, and starting new it will be plenty strong so don't worry about that. You won't be missing much if you get a Milaana or V2 so don't feel like you have to spring for Z if portability is especially a concern for you.

Lot of mod choices, but yeah if you don't need TC (which you don't, these were designed for power mode anyway) you can find a mod you like for max portability. Or get a DNA mod for easy temp control.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
And yeah not super portable, but new Splinter V2 will be moreso than the Z, and starting new it will be plenty strong so don't worry about that.
The difference in size between a Splinter and a SplinterZ is only slightly more than 1/2" so, while there is a significant difference in power, the difference in size is pretty minimal. That is assuming the Splinter and the V1 and V2 are the same size, I haven't held a V1 or V2.

The Milaana is self contained and easier to carry around but doesn't have the control you get using a mod and is fully manual. It makes sense folks might prefer one over the other, but it could be either depending on the user.

VelocityREST

I need a portable vape that is both strong and efficient. In a perfect world it'll be easy to use, since I intend to share it with friends. The mighty might be a good option for that, but I can't justify paying 300+ usd for an old technology + bad form factor (the plastic feels cheap IMO). I don't know I'm really torn apart, I bet I'll wait till 4/20, but I need to make my decision sooner or later ...

analytika

I need a portable vape that is both strong and efficient. In a perfect world it'll be easy to use, since I intend to share it with friends. The mighty might be a good option for that, but I can't justify paying 300+ usd for an old technology + bad form factor (the plastic feels cheap IMO). I don't know I'm really torn apart, I bet I'll wait till 4/20, but I need to make my decision sooner or later ...
So portable, sharing/seshing, cost is an issue, get a Fury 2, or if that's not enough vape, maybe a Tera.

Shit Snacks

The difference in size between a Splinter and a SplinterZ is only slightly more than 1/2" so, while there is a significant difference in power, the difference in size is pretty minimal. That is assuming the Splinter and the V1 and V2 are the same size, I haven't held a V1 or V2.

The Milaana is self contained and easier to carry around but doesn't have the control you get using a mod and is fully manual. It makes sense folks might prefer one over the other, but it could be either depending on the user.

the V1 and V2 actually are smaller I believe, shorter with the 19/19 glass. But my point was, for someone who hasn't tried either vape, and has portability as a priority, they are not missing out at all by going with the V2 imo. Though I have a V2 coming and will be able to compare directly with my Z soon enough, I feel confident making that claim now based on my experience with Zion and Milaana (yes Zion/Z heater is a bit better, but V2/Milaana's no slouch!) though you may disagree of course fellow Zteamer ;)

So I would say the Splinter is better for sharing than the Milaana, even more so with a DNA mod and temp control, but even with power mode for sure. There is a shocking amount of power and versatility available with the Splinter, especially compared to a vape like the Mighty, honestly these mod powered vapes are the latest technology in our portable world. They are extremely efficient and strong, with amazing taste and purity. There is some sacrifice on portability, potentially form factor and such, but the benefits in performance and vaoor quality is substantial most of us have found. Hit for hit, hard to compare.

Last edited:

analytika

the V1 and V2 actually are smaller I believe, shorter with the 19/19 glass. But my point was, for someone who hasn't tried either vape, and has portability as a priority, they are not missing out at all by going with the V2 imo. Though I have a V2 coming and will be able to compare directly with my Z soon enough, I feel confident making that claim now based on my experience with Zion and Milaana (yes Zion/Z heater is a bit better, but V2/Milaana's no slouch!) though you may disagree of course fellow Zteamer ;)

So I would say the Splinter is better for sharing than the Milaana, even more so with a DNA mod and temp control, but even with power mode for sure. There is a shocking amount of power and versatility available with the Splinter, especially compared to a vape like the Mighty, honestly these mod powered vapes are the latest technology in our portable world. They are extremely efficient and strong, with amazing taste and purity. There is some sacrifice on portability, potentially form factor and such, but the benefits in performance and vaoor quality is substantial most of us have found. Hit for hit, hard to compare.
I haven't, and wouldn't, hand a @RastaBuddhaTao 510 device, or a milaana, to an inexperienced person. Too much downside risk. For you, and for him or her. RBT doesn't sell a session device.

Last edited:

VelocityREST

I'm more convinced about the splinter now. I'll probably get one once planetvape has the version 2. I think I'll grab a small bag like the one in the bottom right corner of this photo.
d0ueu6jho3c21.jpg

I'm a factory worker, and while I can hide my vape/joints in my jacket, I don't believe I can have a small bag like the one bottom right in my position at the factory (I'm thinking about summer time). They open the bags regularly to check for such things in my workplace.

I just want to add that is it worth it at this point? (For portable dry herb vape)?

I have two sais and a yocan, I should probably use them at work or get an oil pen. ItllI be more limited options for strains, but should do the work.

I just realized that I have spent the last 10 minutes on a first world problem :$

Last edited by a moderator:

Mangu

I find the Splinter V1/2 on a small Mod like the Wismec RxMini is actually quite compact. And you can take the whole thing apart it’d be pretty tough to know exactly what it is unless you’re privy to it.

02-A54-CD3-8970-49-B5-8-FAB-98750-C24-EA20.jpg

Throw the stem in a 18650 battery tube and you have a fairly portable, high-power set up.

Shit Snacks

I just want to add that is it worth it at this point? (For portable dry herb vape)?

I have two sais and a yocan, I should probably use them at work or get an oil pen. ItllI be more limited options for strains, but should do the work.

I just realized that I have spent the last 10 minutes on a first world problem :$

Yeah these days I use pre-filled disposable oil carts when out and about where quick simple stealth is a priority. But the vapor from Splinter makes me want to go back making that work lol And yeah don't feel bad, you are in the right place for those problems haha

KidFated.

Unknown Member
So when the stem is in a container, what do you guys use to keep debris out of the heater when keeping the unit say in a coat pocket

KidFated.,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom