Specific, somewhat complicated question about the iolite

Merkley

I have been a very regular user with the iolite.

A while back I was sharing it with some friends and they passed it to one another using the mouthpiece.... you know what happens then! The unit disconnects and drops hot herbs all over the lap and the other person is left holding the mouthpiece.

So we put a rubber band around it long way (top to bottom)..... behind the mouthpiece looped down around the start trigger.

Now my vape has a slight discolouration on the white colour strip. It's on the top open part in the lower corners nearest the bowl and it's on both sides. I also "think" I can taste a little rubber taste to it... so I stopped using it as soon as I thought that, mid-bowl and the whole bit.

I don't know how to clean the color strip, it seems like the discolouration is under the surface (which makes sense if the heat could not dissipate because of the elastic). I'm concerned that some of the rubber band has somehow melted to the clear top of the colour piece, or something. I've wiped with water and 99% ISO but it's still seems to be there, very faint. I don't get any headaches, blurred vision, etc (other than the normal stuff)

Right now I am trying to do a full burn; no bowl, mouthpiece and just let it run a whole tank to see if i can cook off any remaining residue, imaginary or real.... :/

Questions (so they are clear):

1) Anyone else ever use the rubber band thing to hold the mouthpiece on? If you did, what happened to you (ie, discolouration, taste, etc)

2) Everything I find says that rubber bands are not toxic, but if anyone has more info or knowledge I would appreciate it.

3) Has anyone ever removed the colour strip from their unit? I'm thinking of doing that because this smell/taste messes with my head.

4) Anything else you care to share, I'm always open for advice and opinions....

Merkley (long time reader, first time poster!!!! woot!)

Merkley,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
I have removed the colored pads (only problems are some sticky glue under it to remove and maybe a hint of suspicion about whether you opened the unit if its returned for repairs--neither which worry me).

I have also rigged units to prevent spilling but have used a hairband without a metal connector or a silicone ring because the fins of the unit can get somewhat hot.

I hope that this helps.

Progress,

niall

Don't have any answers for you mate, just a solution: get some stainless steel fishing wire (7 strand is nice and flexible), and a stainless steel wire crimp (also from a fishing supply store).

Loop it through the top-most vent near the bowl, then loop around the mouthpiece stem and crimp in place. You can have it tight, forcing you to unscrew the mouthpiece if you want to empty the bowl, or make it a bit looser to the point where you can get the bowl off with a bit of jiggling but it doesn't come off accidentally.

niall,

ttomo

i'm picky about taste and usually more sensitive about smell than most - i use a regular rubberband on my iolite because of this dumb design flaw (imo-like a gas tank on a car that flies open and shoots out all your gas randomly while you drive around). the same rubber band has been on my iolite for many months, and i nor others have noticed it, but i also dont use it too much (see sig)

you may have a stinky rubberband?

i dont think that it could leave a residue that you would not be able to see, or one that alcohol would not be able to clean. discolorations, though, can be from a few things, but in this case might be some sort of chemical reaction to the plastic and maybe something on the rubberband, not sure how an ordinary rubber band would do that.

If you're thinking it strongly enough in you're head, you're going to smell it, real or not.

Taste is supposedly 80-90% smell. smell is linked closely to memory and placebo is on the rise. if this is the case, then i would suggest finding a rubber band you can't smell, or the stainless steel suggestion because you'll need to fight off your placebo thoughts but still enjoy yourself.

you're not smelling burning rubber when not around the io are you?

ttomo,

max

Out to lunch
I have one of the first units they shipped. Ordered it as soon as the first dealers were offering it for pre-sale.

1) Anyone else ever use the rubber band thing to hold the mouthpiece on?
My :2c: - just recognize it's a weak point of the design and let your friends know it's not a good idea to hold the vape by the removable part of it. Don't fuck with a rubber band.

2) Everything I find says that rubber bands are not toxic,
Whatever was left is probably gone by now. The outside of the unit isn't in the vapor path so I wouldn't worry about it.

3) Has anyone ever removed the colour strip from their unit?
It's been done, and the company rep has had no issues with it. May make the unit hotter to hold in that area.

max,
Top Bottom