Some white webs around bud

Used2use

Sometimes to stupid to become a fool
hard to say - depends on how it's been harvested and dried at the beginning, but generally keeping it to moist and unvented for to long risks mould. kind of leaving fresh bread in a plastic bag

stinkytofus

Dry it out then put it back in jar without boveda pack? My pack made it moist

stinkytofus,

Used2use

if it was dryer when bought, it's highly possible the mould was already there and the remoisturing revived the mould
clean the jar with h202 or iso, and throw away the boveda pack or leftover spores can eat the next load

KidneyStoner

White webs on the buds is usually spider mites.
Take a look at the leaves. Any spots on them? Now look at the underside of the leaf (closely), see any tiny bugs?

herbivore21

Just say NO to Boveda, it is not needed. I used to use boveda moisture packs for some time but discontinued the practice because of several mold occurrences. I have realized that I usually use whatever I buy before dryness ever becomes an issue. I take care of my herbs without boveda and it works out much better in every way.
What this tells me is that you are not the kind of person who needs boveda packs since you use your material too quickly. Your opinion could give bad advice to people who need to store material long term, for which boveda packs should be enlisted. IME if one gets mold when using boveda packs, it is likely that your bud was not dry enough yet when sealed in the airtight container. Boveda packs are for storage and curing - NOT FOR INITIAL DRYING AFTER HARVEST. Capitalization is for emphasis, I don't wanna look like I'm yelling at you bro :peace:

Mold is a much more serious threat to herb than dryness. You can still enjoy dry herb but you cannot enjoy moldy herb.
This is 100% true. Good advice!

White webs on the buds is usually spider mites.
Take a look at the leaves. Any spots on them? Now look at the underside of the leaf (closely), see any tiny bugs?
This. Webs are typically mites, not mold. If you have mites in your bud, then get rid of it. If you have access to macro/microscope imaging, you'll quickly see if there are bugs :peace:

BTW, good luck getting those things out of your grow room!
Oh man, I only hope that the OP does not have their own grow and just bought these buds. I would not wish a bad spider mite infestation upon anybody.

Last edited:

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
What this tells me is that you are not the kind of person who needs boveda packs since you use your material too quickly. Your opinion could give bad advice to people who need to store material long term, for which boveda packs should be enlisted. IME if one gets mold when using boveda packs, it is likely that your bud was not dry enough yet when sealed in the airtight container. Boveda packs are for storage and curing - NOT FOR INITIAL DRYING AFTER HARVEST. Capitalization is for emphasis, I don't wanna look like I'm yelling at you bro :peace:

This. Webs are typically mites, not mold. If you have mites in your bud, then get rid of it. If you have access to macro/microscope imaging, you'll quickly see if there are bugs :peace:

Spot on!

Most folk having issues with Boveda are putting the packs in too early.

Drying takes weeks and should be done in an area with good airflow.

Initial curing should be done in Jars but requires burping (opening the Jars) daily. Really a hydrometer should be used to assess the Relative Humidity. After a few weeks one can begin to burp the Jars less frequently. I wouldn't begin to use Boveda packs until maybe the third month of curing, and only if I planned on putting the jars away for longer with less frequent checking.

I use these as they are cheap so I can have one for each jar:

Mini Digital LCD Indoor Temperature Humidity Meter Thermometer Hygrometer Gauge

BTW, good luck getting those things out of your grow room!

Best resource I've found for that is: GWE

herbivore21

Spot on!

Most folk having issues with Boveda are putting the packs in too early.

Drying takes weeks and should be done in an area with good airflow.

Initial curing should be done in Jars but requires burping (opening the Jars) daily. Really a hydrometer should be used to assess the Relative Humidity. After a few weeks one can begin to burp the Jars less frequently. I wouldn't begin to use Boveda packs until maybe the third month of curing, and only if I planned on putting the jars away for longer with less frequent checking.

I use these as they are cheap so I can have one for each jar:

Mini Digital LCD Indoor Temperature Humidity Meter Thermometer Hygrometer Gauge
Words to live by!

BTW as an aside, attention must be paid to the vapor pressure of your environment, if you are in very humid conditions, you may find that initial curing without boveda packs may expose your flowers (during burping) to air which if too moist, will impart more moisture into your buds, rather than allowing some of the moisture to slowly leave them! This can lead to mold. We should understand that what works for most of us here will not work in every environment.

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
Very true, no point trying to reduce the moisture in the jar by opening it to a damper environment.

Personally I've not had to figure out a solution to that problem but I'm sure there are ways.

Used2use

Also take into account that warm air stores more water than cold air.
eg if a jar is opened on a hot summer day with 50% humidity and then stored afterwards in a cold place the relative humidity goes up inside the jar (same amount of water inside, but the air can hold less)

Used2use

Best drying is - spread it out in the sun and let the chickens pick the seeds out :D
World's best bio chicken meat :brow: colonel sanders would chop his fingers for that :lol:

vapirtoo

Chicken shit is great fertilizer!{ancient organic farmer } Back in the 70's we had
some moldy acapulco gold;
one hit and you were good.
It remains one of the best tasting and most effective
strains that I have ever experienced.
I do remember the guy selling this stuff had really bad
asthma and would cough blood sometimes. This particular
strain with the mold really hurt him, but did not bother the rest of us
in the least. I guess we dodged another bullet!

vapirtoo,
Reactions: steama
Top Bottom