Sodastream Tincture Extraction

I am currently makeing a batch tinctures Using 190 proof EC. I was wondering carbonating the solution durring the extraction process with a sodastream soda maker (www.sodastream.com) would have any effect on getting more goodies out or getting them out quicker. I know that CO2 is a great solvent and I was thinking that increasing the pressure of the solution may aid THC extraction. Anyone with any chemistry experience have idea if this would be a good idea or advise. I am not sure if I should try it or not.

the-vapist,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I have a Sodastream, and I make tincture. I've never heard of combining the two, though.

Fully Melted

It's OK to enjoy your medicine.
CO2 isn't a solvent.

If you are thinking of "CO2 extraction" by supercritical phase transition using CO2 under huge pressure, it's the phase change and not the CO2 that acts like a solvent. So, no it won't help improve your tincture..

Best case scenario: You waste a sodastream charger and wonder why the experiment?... or
Worst case scenario: You blow a mass amount of pressurized flammable alcohol spray (picture a gasoline shower) and hash oil that blinds you and starts a fire when you aren't watching. No shut off valve either if a seal fails. Are the seals in your sodastream alcohol proof? Sometimes "tried and true" is the best path. I do love the idea that you are thinking "out of the box". Just please be safe.
Alcohol spray isn't just flammable, if you get the right air/fuel mix, it explodes with the force of TNT.
Plus the neighbors just get pissed when the fire department asks for some marshmallows. ;)

Where my primary home is in California, the local paper posts pics of exploded and burnt down houses EVERY week.
All from solvents and hash making.

Think about it...

Best,
FM

I have used my sodastream before to make carbonated whiskey before which is great by the way. I am not worried about spraying alcohol vapor everywhere. I am more worried it could possibly reduce potency.

the-vapist,

farscaper

I agree with FM i think your risk is greater than the potential profit from it. I really dont see any benifit from using a pressurized "alcohol of anykind" extraction. In fact, if ur concidering using pressure and flamable liquids why not take the plunge and just use butane? Using a turkey baster is quick ,easy, and painless... Unless you are not careful...

We dont want to increase bad publicity for solvent extractions, so whatever your decision...

Be safe

farscaper,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
My son uses a soda stream but I agree I wouldn't use it with my tinctures.

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
I think the only thing that adding carbonation would do is make the tincture 'funner' to drink. Its one of the reasons we like carbonated beverages - drinking cola flavored syrup water is just blah. Add some bubblies and it becomes a Coke/Pepsi/RC/COLA :D

Cereal_MF

Green goes to brown, n that's what I stand for.
CO2 isn't a solvent.

If you are thinking of "CO2 extraction" by supercritical phase transition using CO2 under huge pressure, it's the phase change and not the CO2 that acts like a solvent. So, no it won't help improve your tincture..

Best case scenario: You waste a sodastream charger and wonder why the experiment?... or
Worst case scenario: You blow a mass amount of pressurized flammable alcohol spray (picture a gasoline shower) and hash oil that blinds you and starts a fire when you aren't watching. No shut off valve either if a seal fails. Are the seals in your sodastream alcohol proof? Sometimes "tried and true" is the best path. I do love the idea that you are thinking "out of the box". Just please be safe.
Alcohol spray isn't just flammable, if you get the right air/fuel mix, it explodes with the force of TNT.
Plus the neighbors just get pissed when the fire department asks for some marshmallows. ;)

Where my primary home is in California, the local paper posts pics of exploded and burnt down houses EVERY week.
All from solvents and hash making.

Think about it...

Best,
FM
fuck. this is why im not going to boil down my first ever batch of green dragon.

Cereal_MF,

farscaper

fuck. this is why im not going to boil down my first ever batch of green dragon.

As long as there is no flame when you go to evaporate some of the alcohol out of the green dragon you should have no issue... just make sure your using a flame less electric heat source and preferably go outside to prevent vapor buildup.

farscaper,

Cereal_MF

That's my issue; all I've got is a gas burner. I could simply just solve the issue by buying a hotplate (I will probably have to do this eventuallyif I delve into the world of concentrates), but theres other household equiptment that I want first for specific purposes; namely a coffee grinder!

Cereal_MF,

farscaper

i dont know if your actually trying to boil the green dragon or evaporate it so this info to follow deals with evaporation of alcohol not boiling. :2c:
so if you want to just reduce the amount of alcohol in the tincture you can use the same tech that people use for BHO purging. if you boil a big pot of water inside and then take that boiling water outside and set a container of your alcohol in the bigger pot and the alcohol will evaporate. the key with that is to increase the overall surface area so the most heat can come in contact with the container to heat the alcohol and evaporate it. Really though if you increase the surface area enough the alcohol can and will literally evaporate with zero heat, just a little wind. You dont want to use too much heat cause you will evaporate all of the good stuff out and be left with chlorophyll water (eww)

I also know that people use the sun to make their tinctures. it just takes a long time, but if your looking for the easy way, id say use a sunning technique. (which is basically just setting a bottle of it in the sun) but im impatient myself so id say try evaping it like above.

as far as boiling or something, you will prolly need like a good hot plate or an electric griddle that has a solid temp control (not a shitty one like mine that has gaps on the switch a mile wide only paid 20 though)

oh, and fyi... i make mine by evaping it like i said above.... the only difference is that i have an electric stove, so i just turn the burner on every so often to keep the heat up, but you could do the same if you just kept taking it in and putting it back on the stove.

Sorry i ramble and yammer in the morning before coffe cup X2 :rolleyes::wave:

Cereal_MF

Thanks for the advice! 1 thing about using the sun though is that I hear it destroys some of the psychoactive components of the weed.

Since im making weed-alc for the first time, I'm not gonna mess with heat (ill test that out next time!), but I will keep the lid of my jar open with a fan blowing air over it. How many hours would I need to do this for to get a noticible amount of alcohol to evap?

farscaper

yes you are right the sun will degrade the actives, but the the guy i learned it from was keeping his in a little brown bottle and that was supposed to slow the degradation process. I never used that tech. actually, i use everclear to clean up the last bit on my BHO purge dish (its an upside down pyrex pan lid) i added about a shot glass worth and it evaped from the dish that was just sitting on a pan of hot ass water (not heat going to the pan though just the pan and water had been boiling before i turned it off and placed the dish on top) that shot worth evaped in under 15 min with the heat and a small pc sized fan blowing at it. i had to add more alcohol cause it evaped so fast that it reconstituted on the dish (lol woops)

if were talking about a mason jar you could get some water boiling and then just turn it off and set the open jar in the pan. this will get the alcohol moving on a molecular level just stir it every so often. You may see some good results that way, and the thick glass of a mason jar will keep the alcohol from getting to hot. just hot enough to encourage the evaporation process. just make sure your jar is warm (NOT COLD) before you put it into the hot water and ease it in there, dont dunk it or you might have the glass crack n shatter (no good)

if your just gonna leave the lid off the jar with no heat at all with a fan blowing it might take a long time cause you will only be able to evaporate what is at the top of the jar. if you put the liquid in like a shallow but wide glass container (like the purging dish i described above) you could prolly reduce that to a couple of days or less. :clap:

lots of ways to skin that cat!:brow::science:

farscaper,
Reactions: Cereal_MF

Cereal_MF

Im gonna try the method of boiling a pot of water and then placing the jar in it. Does 1 to 2 inches of water sound right?

Cereal_MF,

Cereal_MF

I didnt know they generated enough heat to use for this purpose. Always assumed they were just for show. Good to know!

Cereal_MF,

farscaper

Candle warmers a great idea. I forget about those. They do get warm enough to heat a candle in a mason jar eough to completely liquify and evaporate the wax in it. It should be able to handle alcohol easy. :) If ur still wanting to try the hot water i would say submerge the jar as deep as u can. i have had great success making my bho turn to hard wax by submerging the bottom of a shot glass in this same manner. Just make sure not to get any water in ur jar.

farscaper,
Reactions: Cereal_MF
Top Bottom