so, should i vaporize or smoke my turkey this year?

crawdad

floatin
just kidding, im smoking it.

i have fried a few birds and i have to admit its pretty damn good. hard to beat peanut oil fried turkey imho. gonna de-bone it first this year and then smoke it for a while.

so, how you doing yours or what are you having on the table during the holiday?

crawdad,

Nosferatu

Well now that peanut oil fried turkey is in my vocabulary, I will be having that. :)

Nosferatu,

Nycdeisel

Going to have dinner with my family(well, excluding my father, he wont be attending), not sure how its going to be prepared but Im damn sure going to get vaked and help out! :D

Nycdeisel,

george

good ol family stuffing recipe
butternut squash and apple soup
fingerling potatoes
braised escarole lettuce
yams
rice pudding cake

and of course, turkey prepared in some way

i'm very into cooking as you can see :ko:

george,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
So george.....rice pudding cake? Sounds delicious. Would love the recipe. If you feel like parting with it, shoot me an email. Or, of course, you could just post it here....

momofthegoons,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
How about a shot of Sage, Rosemary, Thyme and Fennel Tincture mixed in with a rub that is applied to the cavity of the bird and under the skin? :brow:

Good Gravy! :o

Progress,

crawdad

floatin
de-boning process was a bit interesting, i felt very close to the bird after it was all over. smoked it last night so its ready for a simple warm up...did a few turkeys and cut into one already, slices like a loaf. amazing. this method appears to get the most meat off the bird vs anything else i've tried. carcass and bones not used make good stock.

crawdad,

george

momofthegoons said:
So george.....rice pudding cake? Sounds delicious. Would love the recipe. If you feel like parting with it, shoot me an email. Or, of course, you could just post it here....

Mom, i'd love to share it. I'm actually making bread pudding cake today, instead of rice pudding cake. They are both delicious, but my sister asked me to make bread pudding cake specifically :)
Both are really simple as well.

Rice pudding cake- http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/creamy-rice-pudding/Detail.aspx

Bread pudding recipe (that i'm using today)

1 day old french bread-Cut this into 1/2inch cubes (Use whatver bread you want, but it shouldnt be to fresh)
1 cup milk
2 cups cream or half and half
3 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp vanilla
1/2 cup dried raisins soaked in 1/2 cup brandy or rum
1-2 tbsp sugar

Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a 95 inch loaf pan well, but do not flour it.
In a large bowl, beat together milk, cream, eggs, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. Cut bread into 1/2 inch cubes, add to mixture, just enough to soak up the milk/egg mixture. Stir in raisins. Pour into prepared pan and sprinkle top of loaf with 1-2 tbsp sugar.
Bake 50-55 minutes, until a knife inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean and the top is golden brown.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

george,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
just an oven baked one this year at Mom & Dad's, though when it's at my house i brine it. yum.
the deboning sounds like something i would like to try, but considering i can't even carve a cooked turkey properly, it may be a disaster waiting to happen :) sounds like a wonderful result though. i have however considered spatchcocking (hehe) like you would do a chicken. ya know, take the keelbone out and open it flat like a book.
as soon as i get the smoker up and running hmmmm......

i can cook one hell of a bird, but somehow can't manage the dis assembly!

poultry stock is reducing as we speak and the house smells amazing. my depression era grandmother is very pleased that i have finally started saving carcasses and making stock because "there is nutrition in there!"
and boy does that stock make some bad ass risotto.

herbgirl,
Top Bottom