Silver Surfer SSV Review: Ordering to Daily Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenTokin

I ordered a Silver Surfer Vaporizer last night (Sunday) after several hours of researching. In the end, it was the SSV vs V-Tower Extreme.

I was pushing for the SSV because of it's reputed superior whip performance. My wife was leaning more toward the Extreme for the ability to do a bunch of things and have more features, although she was NOT happy about the price of either one!

She hasn't been impressed with my choices of vaporizers to purchase in the past: Dome-type Vaporizer :mad: , Aromazap and Vapolution. None of them really performed as well as smoking in her opinion and over time I tended to agree that they were not sufficient. After extensive begging, I was allowed to choose a new vaporizer.

I like the whip style and although I have never tried bags, I doubt I would use that feature more than a few times or to show off to friends. So at first Da Buddha appealed to me because of it's price $160 +/- and it's nice sturdy look and it's reputation from the forums. I almost ordered it, but kept thinking it was just too much like my Vapolution for me to be really satisfied with my new purchase.

(By the way, my 2nd (replacement) Vapolution is dying after maybe a year of use. Although this one was my fault: Left on 2/3 of that time, Dropped a few times, once breaking the top center section and spilling the mica insulation all over. I cracked open the bottom and laughed at what was inside: A frickin laboratory test tube crappily wrapped with some wire leading to the temp control and heater which is fully exposed to the mica insulation which grinds into the temp control wheel as you turn it which is what killed my first unit). CHEAP. It does work alright :rolleyes: when you treat it right and have the temp dialed in and the bowl packed right and the height washer set properly and you inhale at just the right speed.....until of course your temp knob gets stuck!!! Way off subject, sorry, had to let that frustration out. I guess that is my mini Vapolution review. When I get the SSV I will take apart my Vapolution and post some pics of the GUTS! mwahahahaha!!!
ANYWAY....

Ok some actual REVIEW now.
Silversurfervap website gets a 7/10. All kinds of pics of stuff everywhere, certain menus for ordering didn't list anything*, when you miss an order selection it doesn't tell you which one... Basically it's functional, but could use some improvement. Also, posted pics of SOLD merchandise makes me think the company is really tiny any trying to say "Look we sold stuff before!" IMO....
*Ordering the SSV, there is currently a discount on a grinder and you have to pick which type/size but the menu shows about 6 blank spaces and you can't progress with your order until you (randomly) choose one. Annoying!!!
Also, they really promote the customization of the SSVs, which is cool, but the prices are a little high. I mean, overall I think all Vaporizers are way overpriced for what they are made of, but the SSV seems to be a bit more pricey than most whip vapes. They could make the prices of parts a little cheaper for those that invested in their expensive vape.:cool: They could really make ordering irresistible by updating the website so show your SSV as you build it: base color, top color, knob color, accessories, etc. That would be so cool. Right now, you REALLY have to use your imagination.

So you choose Standard or Ground Glass for $20 more. I chose Standard. If I wanted Ground Glass, I'd get Da Buddha and save $75+.

Then you can choose 110v or 220v. Nice option

Then there is the housing color/type selection. You have Silver or Black or pay $30 more for Green, Orange, or "Rainbow's End". Ok....I guess.

Then on to the base selection which reads: Blue, Yellow, Green, Purple, Red, Silver Metal, Black. I wanted all black, but I wanted metal. They are advertising all over the electrical process that coats the aluminum with this safe black stuff, but they didn't do it for the Metal Base? By the way all the choices are made of some kind of acrylic except for the Silver Metal. So I ended up picking the Silver Metal. I don't want any acrylic stuff any more. Not after my 4-foot Acrylic water pipe cracked in half.

Then you can choose a regular heater cover or add $25-$45 for a fragile-looking special heater cover. I think that should be the price to add a SPARE special heater cover. I tend to favor selling things cheaper to attract more customers, overall a faster, greater profit. Ideally. Anyway, I chose regular. They do have a box there that says "Color Preferences" there. I wish they gave some examples either pictures of the colors available or description examples like "Green and Yellow" or "Red and Green and Orange". Are they making these to order or are they rummaging through a bin of them looking for the closest thing? I typed in "Yellow and/or Blue".

Then you have the temp knob selection. Apparently they are randomly created and chosen as best as they can to match your SSV. BUT you can list color preference here too, IF you are adding a Mushroom Marble for $15 or a Flower Marble for $25. Kind of pricey for me so I skipped that.

I did go for the extra wand which is discounted to $11 when you buy the SSV. I added the $4 tubing and mouthpiece after looking at both of my nasty stained Vapolution whips. There really is no good way to clean them.

I got the 10 extra screens for the discounted $2 after remembering what happened with my Aromazap screens. They got nasty and i would try to poke stuff out with a pin and ended up ruining the screens, which is why I eventually had to stop using it. Also I wanted something that gave bigger hits, faster, with temp control. Again: ANYWAY....

They do offer some grinder deals when you are buying a SSV. A formerly $65 4 piece grinder for $25 was my choice. I've been eyeing them for a long time but they are so pricey. This one has the screen and collection thing. Nice :ko:

The aroma top option looks like a glass prep dish and a little metal insert to keep it sitting upright. I think I will fashion one myself and post a pic if I actually do it. $20 (with SSV discount!): I don't think so.

I bought the hands free attachment. Even though it was $13 for a piece of flimsy metal. I am slightly annoyed at myself but I did see a video of a dude yanking it side to side and stuff. It looked like it would work ok if you were feeling lazy. I do like to sit at the computer and vape while one hand clicks or types or ...... ANYWAY......

All that came to $305.96. Free shipping at least. Holy !#@$. This better be good.

It is also a pain to change your order or change an option for your SSV. You have to go through the whole order thing over again it seems. Oh well, I bought one anyway. A large part of my decision was based on watching TokinGLX videos. Unfortunately there aren't many others available that I have found.
***Hey*** If you have a digital camera, and have a vaporizer, I think you should have a useful picture posted. Pics of broken vapes, techniques, before and after pics, etc.

This is a great site but needs a bunch more content. I am new here but plan on contributing as much as possible to get people vaping and help people make a good choice buying a vape! I found it surprisingly difficult to find good info comparing vaporizers. Barely a worthwhile review anywhere. Most of the info I found was on this site. Let's all work to better vaping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :uhoh:

BenTokin

BenTokin,

Chubba

Vaporbonger
Indeed it is expensive, mine ended up costing $340 and they sent me the US plug to Australia so I had to spend any extra $80 on a step down transformer... so my SSV investment is a big one.

I've used mine for nearly a week now, 110% satisfied. Took me around 5 whips before I got my current technique down and found my favourite temp. This thing is just flat out enjoyable and gives a perfect hit every single time.

ssv005.jpg

I'm so glad I went standard joint and not GG/hands free, I just constantly swirl the wand around on the heater cover and get completely even vape. Also I stir the bowl every 2 hits at the start and between every single hit when I'm finishing the whip off... makes it very easy.

Can't wait to vapor bong it, but atm the SSV has completely sold me on vaporizing! Haven't smoked any tobacco in 6 days, first time tobacco free in 10 years.

Chubba,

BenTokin

It looks like you have the black coated metal base! That's what I wanted! Damn! I didn't choose it because it didn't say "metal" in the order form page. Oh well, it should still look good with black top, silver bottom.

Thank you Chubba for your vaping method description- This sounds like a good starting method to follow:

( "I just constantly swirl the wand around on the heater cover and get completely even vape. Also I stir the bowl every 2 hits at the start and between every single hit when I'm finishing the whip off... makes it very easy." --Chubba )

Great picture too.

**One thing I have been wondering about the SSV: Does the wand seal pretty well to the heater cover when you hold it up there and take a hit? It seems like it would be tough to make heater covers EXACTLY the right size as the whips (which could also be different sized/shaped slightly). Is there air bypassing the heater? ( You could test this by taking off your heater cover, plugging the bottom and intake holes with fingers while you hold up the whip like you are hitting it and inhale. If a lot of air goes through at the end of the whip area....well, that worries me a little about wasting my lung capacity on un-heated, un-medicated air. Can anyone test this please? Thanks!
BenTokin

BenTokin,

Chubba

Vaporbonger
**One thing I have been wondering about the SSV: Does the wand seal pretty well to the heater cover when you hold it up there and take a hit? It seems like it would be tough to make heater covers EXACTLY the right size as the whips (which could also be different sized/shaped slightly). Is there air bypassing the heater? ( You could test this by taking off your heater cover, plugging the bottom and intake holes with fingers while you hold up the whip like you are hitting it and inhale. If a lot of air goes through at the end of the whip area....well, that worries me a little about wasting my lung capacity on un-heated, un-medicated air. Can anyone test this please? Thanks!
The whips have a much larger mouth then the size of the heater cover, very snug.

I can only comment on mine, but it's completely sealed regardless of what angle you hold the wand at, so it remains a strong draw even when you're swishing the wand around to get an even vape.

The hits are very thick and concentrated

I think that base was just "black", no extra cost, $20.00 extra for the black casing though.

Chubba,

BenTokin

Thanks Chubba. I feel better.

REVIEW:

Well, I got the UPS tracking number now. It's been maybe 24 hours since I ordered it (which was on Sunday). Pretty good! It says it is scheduled for delivery on Thursday. That would be the 4th business day. Let's hope that is right. It says the weight is 5 lbs. I'm glad I didn't have to pay any shipping.

Anyone else have a good SSV picture for those considering it's purchase? There aren't many closeups of the parts in action.....
By the way, I can't seem to figure out how to post a pic. I need IDIOT proof instructions i guess. Let's not get this thread off subject, but a quick answer would be cool. ( I read the post, still no go. )

BenTokin

BenTokin,

Monsoon

For pictures, check out this thread started by TokinGLX:
http://www.marijuana.com/vaporizers/102808-official-ssv-dbv-thread.html

I've had my SSV for just over a year now using it daily and it's still working great. There is a visible crack(?) in the heater cover neck, no idea how it got there but it seems to just be inside the glass and doesn't affect it's use.

I'd suggest you pick up a can of compressed air and use it to clear any bits of material you can't scrape out of the bowl, just make sure to exhale through the whip so you don't breathe it in. Some ISO 99% on a piece of paper towel can keep the screen clean without having to replace it.

Monsoon,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
It looks like you have the black coated metal base! That's what I wanted! Damn! I didn't choose it because it didn't say "metal" in the order form page. Oh well, it should still look good with black top, silver bottom.
i think they actually changed it a while afo and now ALL bases are metal

Acolyte of Zinglon,

smokeandskate

Acolyte of Zinglon said:
i think they actually changed it a while afo and now ALL bases are metal
yes all the bases are metal now but idk if you still can but you can specify if you want the old plexi glass bottom

smokeandskate,

BenTokin

So i moved this and all my future threads to stonerforums' vaporizers section if you're interested. I posted A lot more info there. feel free to copy it back here. i just found their forum easier to use.

BenTokin,

tuttle

BenTokin said:
So i moved this and all my future threads to stonerforums' vaporizers section if you're interested. I posted A lot more info there. feel free to copy it back here. i just found their forum easier to use.
I saw over in the stonerforums that you where unhappy with the taste off of the supplied (food grade but still elgh) vinyl tubing. I lot of people, including me, really have enjoyed using silicone tubing instead. It doesn't impart any flavor to the vapor. The down side of silicone is that it picks up oils and odors faster than vinyl, so you are probably going to want to change it more frequently if you do end up combusting by accident or want to vaporize other things.

As for getting it, many people here order it from US Plastics, I order from McMaster-Carr because they are close to me. Just look for 1/2" OD 3/8" ID food grade silicone tubing.

tuttle,

CuttyBuddy

Get a new tube. No, for real the SSV is niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. I'm happy. 1 Week in....

CuttyBuddy,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom