Significance of shelves

Rise&Solo

So every dispensary I've been to here in CO has their product classified according to shelves. It boils down to a "top", "medium" and "bottom" shelf no matter what they call it.

So my question is, what is the significance (other than price, lol)? It is not strain-related, because sometimes a strain will be listed on the top shelf, sometimes on one of the other shelves - sometimes simultaneously. I.e., you could get top shelf Golden Goat or middle shelf Golden Goat - both being available at the the same time.

I gather that part of it is that the product for the different shelves comes from different parts of the plant. But what is the practical significance. Are the THC levels different?

Rise&Solo,

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
The overall quality is down to the growing of the plant. But some buds will be better than others.

Typically the smaller buds and those lower on the plant will have had less time to mature and gain a full Cannabinoid/terpene profile. This means they're less potent, less flavourful, lower density, and smaller in size.

This is in contrast with the larger main cola that grows at the top of the plant. These buds will be the most mature, the largest in size, the fullest resin development, the highest density and the best flavour. This is your top shelf bud.

With immature/lower quality buds you might not get the full effects of the strain and you will need to use more material.

Top Bottom