Seeking vape buying advice.

Attack of the vapors

Magic Flight Attendant
I have looked over this site (and others) and I am about to purchase my first vaporizer. I thought it would be wise to ask for help in choosing here, if for nothing other than having you guys confirm my leanings. I do have some ideas, but I'll keep them to myself so I can get unbiased opinions.

First about me and my usage:
I smoked a fair amount when I was young, but gave up smoking for various reasons in my late 20s. Since then I have only occasionally smoked, but I would like to return now (15 years later). Vaping looks like the way to go.

When I used to smoke, I was very frugal with herb. I used very little and tried to take very small hits to make it last. I never enjoyed getting totally destroyed, though I did on occasion.

Here are my priorities in descending order.

Efficiency is of paramount importance. Frugality with the weed is number 1.

Second, I am not looking for HUGE hits. Smaller hits are better for me. And I won't smoke much at a sitting.

Third, 95 percent of the use will be by myself or with one other person. So I don't need a party machine.

Fourth, price is important but not crucial. I prefer to spend under 200 but the less I spend, the happier I am. But I am mindful that one of the reasons to get a vape is that an efficient one saves money in reduced usage for equal effect. I could also spend more if someone makes a great argument for doing so.

Fifth, I will be using small amounts of herb occasionally. I will not be using all day, or even every day.

Sixth, I have no need for stealth, but I would rather not have something that screams, "Weed apparatus", sitting in the corner. I won't be showing it off. Discreet is better.

Seventh, I like craftsmanship. Wood especially, but any kind of simple, understated beauty in an object is a plus. Not fancy though. But I am willing to sacrifice beauty for efficiency or a considerably savings.

Eighth, I would like it be reliable and durable and safe both from accidental fire hazards and as free of health hazards as possible given the usage.

Ninth, I don't know if a temperature control is necessary. What do you think?

Tenth, Ease of use is great, but I am willing to learn how to use something if it satisfies the above criteria.

Lastly, portability might be nice, but it is really not a big factor for me.

I intend to buy in the next week or so.
Thanks for all your previous postings here, I have learned a lot and been fascinated by this site and its contributors.
I appreciate your help making the right purchase decision too.

Attack of the vapors,

Beezleb

Look into, in no particular order of, Purple Days, Myrtlezap, Woodeez.

You might consider the magic flight launch box.

Beezleb,

lwien

Purple Days Pandora if you enjoy building kits and like the custom wood and custom leather options that are available and take pride in something that you built yourself.
MyrtleZap if you don't like building kits and could care less if you built it yourself or not.

Both of these vapes will fulfill your priorities mentioned above.

lwien,

Lo

Combustion free since '09

Exactly my thoughts :D

Also, If you're into projects/building things that Pandora PD kit is a fun build too! Then you kick back and take pleasure that you had a hand in the making of :2c:

Lo,

indigal

Amongst the corn
Beezleb said:

Vapors- you sound very much like me, and I agree 100% with Beez. I have a PD, MZ, and LB.. and love them all. If you were to get one, I'd get a home unit first.. but soon you may decide you need a portable.. and though I have an Iolite (my first vape) and it works great, the MFLB is so fast, tiny & discrete, it sees a lot more love than the IO.

If you have a little time, you may want to look into the PD Pandora kit. The options are fantastic!

On some of your points- efficiency, my PD & MZ beat out all others I've tried. I don't think you'd be disappointed at all.

The temp control, for me- not a biggie. But I do note, I can hit the higher temps with the MFLB just fine and that opened up a new exp for me. High temp vaping of some nice indica = good zzz's. :) Plus it is lower $ and has a lifetime warranty.

indigal,

GreenLeaf

Look into a Magic Flight Launch box. I'm also very into conserving Ms. Green and the LB is great at doing that while providing me with an excellent, powerful, discreet, and portable vaporizer which is what I wanted. It also gives off excellent vapor hits and you do not even have to use the stem that comes with it to inhale them.

GreenLeaf,

lwien

Being that efficiency is at the top of his priority list and portability is at the bottom, wouldn't that favor the PD/Zap vapes over the LaunchBox?

lwien,

Lo

Being that efficiency is at the top of his priority list and portability is at the bottom, wouldn't that favor the PD/Zap vapes over the LaunchBox?
I don't know about that Lwien....

You know I love my PD's but I find the LB to be in that very efficient range as well.

I can keep crumbling it and the trench's go and go. If I was trying to strictly conserve I'd stick with the PD/MZ and the LB for portable. I love my IO's for boating and driving but I can go through way more stuff with less of the effects. With the LB I can vape it down to powder if I want. If you haven't tried one - you don't know what you're missing :) Really a neat little block of wood.

Lo,

lwien

I was really thinking of getting one Lo, but from what I read in previous threads, the efficiency didn't compare to the PD/MZ at all. Not even close. But if they are close, then I gotta reconsider.

lwien,

Lo

I would say that effiency lies with the method of use. If you use your own vape, crumble, re-vape method I think you'd be really pleased with the effiency of the LB. Also - you can get a bit of the higher temp "help you sleep" goodies if you want to.

Lo,

lwien

Yeah, I use the crumble, re-vape method with my PD as well. Provides another hit or two. Don't think I'd want my ABV to come out any darker than it comes out in my Cherry PD. Comes out a very, very dark brown..........about the color of dark chocolate, just a shade or two below black and is the reason that I got the Ash PD for when I wanted lower temp vaping.

But if the LB comes really really close to being able to squeeze out the same amount of "high" from a super small load (0.025g), than I gotta seriously take another look at it.

lwien,

Beezleb

I do not see as giving advice as absolutes but as direction for the individual to then look into for themselves.

The PD/MZ/WDZ and the LB all match the ops parameters. In my opinion, the LB would fit the portability aspect he is looking for. I would not consider the LB as a desktop style vape for his parameters but it is an excellent portable vaporizer that works very well and as discussed, the amount used and efficiency of it is dependent upon the user but I would not personally consider the LB as an overly efficient vape as it does have a large trench in comparison to other vapes and the battery aspect is limiting but with that said I want for no other portable.

Beezleb,

max

Out to lunch
The fixed temp on the PD/MZ type of vape (as well as the iolite) makes for 'easy' efficiency. You'll tend to use more with the iolite, due to the bigger bowl, but the temp limit makes for long lasting bowls with no attention needed for any of these models. I agree the LB can also be very efficient, but unlike the others mentioned, it requires attention and some practice to get that efficiency. How much you load and the condition of the battery also has to be considered. Personally, I've found the best efficiency from the LB by using small loads. Seems like every time I load it up, I go through the bowl/trench a lot quicker.

Attack, judging by your priorities, I'd say the LB is your best bet. It CAN be efficient, does well with small loads, can't beat the price and warranty, and is an excellent portable, no matter what vape you may buy in the future.

max,

Aidac

I'm in almost the exact same situation as the OP, and can't decide between the Purple Days Pandora or Myrtlezap. I've read through nearly all the threads and am still having trouble deciding. I think putting together the pandora kit would be fun. I also like the appearance of myrtlewood but I'm wary because I've read it runs a few degrees cooler than alder/cherry/walnut.

Any advice?

Aidac,

lwien

Aidac said:
I'm in almost the exact same situation as the OP, and can't decide between the Purple Days Pandora or Myrtlezap. I've read through nearly all the threads and am still having trouble deciding. I think putting together the pandora kit would be fun. I also like the appearance of myrtlewood but I'm wary because I've read it runs a few degrees cooler than alder/cherry/walnut.

Any advice?
If you like building kits, if you take pride and enjoy using something that you built with your two hands, if you like the idea of custom woods and custom leather bottoms and if you prefer stainless steel over brass, get the Pandora.

If you don't like those things mentioned above, but instead, would like to get a unit that is pre-built, with a warranty, get the Zap. The Zaps with the redesigned heat exchanger seems to be running a bit warmer from the reports that I've been reading.

lwien,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
As an aside, I do not crumble a load for the extra hit or two with the PD; I save the hidden THC for future brownies.

jeffp,

lwien

jeffp said:
As an aside, I do not crumble a load for the extra hit or two with the PD; I save the hidden THC for future brownies.
I hear ya, but even when I do crumble, I can still get blasted from 3gr of abv in some honey/cinnamon graham crackers and TJ's organic peanut butter.

lwien,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
You know something, I don't even own a scale; I don't know from grams. I like firecrackers also but I use fresh bud for firecrackers, ABV for brownies.
I was thinking, again as an aside, that the effect I get from eating suggests that it may in fact be extremely efficient. Let's say you make a firecracker with one joint's worth of fresh bud.
Forgetting about vaporizing for a second, would you say that you would get much more fucked up from that firecracker and for a longer period of time than if you smoked it?

jeffp,

lwien

jeffp said:
You know something, I don't even own a scale; I don't know from grams. I like firecrackers also but I use fresh bud for firecrackers, ABV for brownies.
I was thinking, again as an aside, that the effect I get from eating suggests that it may in fact be extremely efficient. Let's say you make a firecracker with one joint's worth of fresh bud.
Forgetting about vaporizing for a second, would you say that you would get much more fucked up from that firecracker and for a longer period of time than if you smoked it?
Good question. Not knowing the definitive answer, I would assume that you would get more fucked up on a given amount of bud from smoking it versus eating it only because with smoking, you have a more direct flow into your bloodstream versus eating it. Got a lot of digestive juices going on when you eat it so I would think that it may not be as efficient. And I also realize that I could be totally wrong about all this.

lwien,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
It's all subjective but we know that the high we get from eating is a lot more significant and all encompassing than any other delivery method, at least it is to me.
A few weeks ago I told one of my delivery guys that I'm looking for quantity this time, not quality; it's for brownies, I'd like the most that you can give me for $50.
(I didn't have enough ABV and I was having a little party.)
So I got what he said was the "bottom of the bag" with seeds, etc., but a relatively significant amount.
Realistically that represents 15 heavy MJ trips considering what I still have left in the freezer against what's already been consumed.
Those crazy brownies were fantastic!

jeffp,

Attack of the vapors

Magic Flight Attendant
Wow! Thanks to all for the thoughtful, reasonable replies.

When I originally posted, I was leaning very hard toward the PD, MZ end of things. But now I think I will go with the LB. But I am still not 100% sure if anyone wants to make a further case.
Here is why:
My main concern with the MZ is the time it takes to heat up. I know you can leave it on, but since I am just returning to smoking, I don't know how often I will want to use the machine and I hate to leave something burning.
After folks here suggested the LB, I really like the idea of instant on. My only real concerns with the LB are over its efficiency and its durability. But from comments here, it looks like I could learn to make the LB very efficient. If it turns out that I am a more frequent user than I now suspect I will be, I can always get a Zip or get on the list for the PD.
As for durability, I like the lifetime warranty, but I still think the LB looks like it will have a shorter lifespan than the MZ just because of a less robust design, but that is a guess, but I am not too worried about durability.

I have never vaped before and who knows, I may not like it. In that case I could easily give the LB to my sister who I think would love it (in fact if I like it as much as I suspect I will, I am going to get her one of her own).

I also like the fact that I can easily keep it in a drawer rather than sitting out on a counter or desk. And as a bonus I could take it out while walking the dogs at sunset on occasion....

I think my mind is made up, but I thought the same thing two weeks ago (vapor bros), one week ago (Buddha), 4 days ago after finding this site (PD) and yesterday (MZ cause I don't want to wait 3 months and I really don't want to build anything if I can help it..). So, I am going to sleep on it for a day or two and if I still feel the same, I am going with the Launch Box. (anyone who side bets that I change my mind before pulling the trigger should be getting even money...)

Again, thanks to all the fine folks here who are taking the guesswork out of this for me, and helping me find the perfect apparatus to suit my needs.

:peace:

Attack of the vapors,

Attack of the vapors

Magic Flight Attendant
Hearing no other objections.
Going once.
Going twice.
SOLD to the idiot in the corner.
(I ordered today, Friday, from Vapeworld @ 2:05. It will really test their ship by 2:30 commitment...)
Magic Flight, on the way.
Again, thanks all.

Attack of the vapors,

Beezleb

Attack of the vapors said:
Hearing no other objections.
Going once.
Going twice.
SOLD to the idiot in the corner.
(I ordered today, Friday, from Vapeworld @ 2:05. It will really test their ship by 2:30 commitment...)
Magic Flight, on the way.
Again, thanks all.
The wonderful game of waiting for the deliveryman is on! Congrats on your choice.

Beezleb,
Top Bottom