Screen Replacements for log vape stem?

SleepyHead

For some reason, I have a very hard time cleaning my stems. Even after soaking them in ISO for a week, the grunge just simply does not remove itself from the screen. This inevitably leads me to poking the screen out and using my "screen replacement kit" to put in a new one. Well imo buying the screens through this kit is just too expensive, and know that screens shouldn't cost this much. Just looking to buy a large quantity of them, as well as the clips that keep them in. Here is what I'm talking about.

photoon20110106at0845.jpg

Where else, other than the log vape sites, can I get these? Thanks!

SleepyHead,

max

Out to lunch
I've found that if you blow out the load while it's still hot, the screen stays pretty clean. If not, it's a different story. I've been using a PD regularly for going on 3 yrs., and I've never had to remove a vapor tube screen for cleaning. Between frequent ISO cleaning, and getting the ABV out when the bowl is done (and hot), I've avoided screen removal and replacement entirely.

Screens this size aren't used for much of anything but log vape tubes. Your best bet, for lowering cost, is to cut your own screens to size.

max,

SleepyHead

max said:
I've found that if you blow out the load while it's still hot, the screen stays pretty clean. If not, it's a different story. I've been using a PD regularly for going on 3 yrs., and I've never had to remove a vapor tube screen for cleaning. Between frequent ISO cleaning, and getting the ABV out when the bowl is done (and hot), I've avoided screen removal and replacement entirely.

Screens this size aren't used for much of anything but log vape tubes. Your best bet, for lowering cost, is to cut your own screens to size.

I try to keep it clean by blowing out the material, but if it ever gets grungy it one spot it snowballs from there. I'm trying to iso clean more frequently before it builds up, and have been having one soak for days (with little buildup) to see how that works out.

I considered cutting out my own screens, but would rather just buy them. If I did make them myself, then where would I find the clips as well?
Thanks!

SleepyHead,

max

Out to lunch
I don't know where you'd buy screens pre-cut to this size, other than from one of the log vape makers. Maybe contact them and see if you can make a bulk buy on screens. As for the clips, they're probably not in every local hardware store, but they're standard clips, with other uses, and they are available. Maybe someone else here can give you more specific info. I haven't been paying close attention to this stuff, since I haven't needed the info yet.

max,

djonkoman

can't you just burn them clean?
I do that also with the screen in my combustion pipe and sometimes with the screen from my VG(usually just blowing and rubbing is enough but for a torough clean I light it)
after burning just blow/rub and the bits in the mazes easily fall out

djonkoman,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
As far as getting the screens, you can purchase regular pipe screens and hole punch them to size. Depending on what size you start with, you will get several per screen. I don't think anyone stocks them this small. The clips are a different story. A simple Google search turned up this site:

http://www.cirteq.com/products.asp?s=2

If you can determine which size you need, I would think it might be pretty easy to buy these in bulk.

momofthegoons,

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
You can get retaining rings that small from any of the large industrial supply houses. One supplier I use daily as an engineer is McMaster-Carr. Check their website www.mcmaster.com and look up part number: 91580A115 it looks to be what you need and matches the size clip in my PD.

underdog,

hereatlast

Nice first post underdog! ;)

I'll echo max's sentiments. Also, if the screens are really grungy, try taking them out and soaking in ISO alone, i.e. outside of the tube. I do this from time to time and it definitely cleans the screens faster at least.

hereatlast,

FlapJack

use a small paintbrush and brush it off? i use a small paintbrush for my vapor bros and it works great. i understand that the diameter is much less on log vape stems but a super small paintbrush should work for you.

or even pull the screen out and use a toothbrush and iso and itll come right off.

FlapJack,

SleepyHead

Thanks for all the info guys! I was able to find this on Amazon, but not sure if it is the same one or not. Think it is because it says 1/4".
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FMWCEU/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Also I guess I could hole punch my own, I noticed the screens that came in the kit were bulbous rather than flat, but don't think that would matter. Will a regular hole-puncher be the correct size?

Thanks everyone!

SleepyHead,

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
SleepyHead said:
Thanks for all the info guys! I was able to find this on Amazon, but not sure if it is the same one or not. Think it is because it says 1/4".
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FMWCEU/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Also I guess I could hole punch my own, I noticed the screens that came in the kit were bulbous rather than flat, but don't think that would matter. Will a regular hole-puncher be the correct size?

Thanks everyone!

Yeah that should be the right size. A hole punch should be approx the right size too but you may not be able to get one to punch cleanly through screen. If you just need a few you can carefully cut them to size with scissors which is pretty easy to do.

-Dave

underdog,
Top Bottom