Schwarzenegger Signs Marijuana Infraction Measure!

thedeserttortoise

I always say..."just follow the money". This is a classic case. Californians just lost the true legalization they were seeking...guess what? Can't tax it now... AND... the cost of prosecution and incarceration (even overnight) previous to this bill just weighs down the already sagging economic conditions in CA. SO... whats the next best thing... you got it. Cut out the logistics's of criminal possession, streamline the method or protocol of the citation process...and get a hundred bucks to boot. Your still involved in a criminal act (hence the fine) which realistically opens your doors to more scrutiny. Remember, it just takes one good dog to lead a herd of sheep..... MJ is safer than alcohol and medicinally beneficial. It would be legal if big brother wasn't making zillions off it already. The infrastructure built up around it is disgusting. 78% of the DEA's budget is used in combating pot... and your border patrol stops... they used to be worried about illegal immigrants. Not anymore. The signs at our BP stops boast of pot seizure's now days. We live in a culture of corporate control that is hid in the haze of smoke and mirrors. Wherever there's a way to punk the average Joe or Jane out of money you'll find a politician and corporation holding the reigns... the bureaucracy's that have been built up over the criminalization of pot are so profitable that it's legalization and taxation would actually be a step backwards for the corporations profiting from it... the fine is wrong. It's just being served up with a spoonful of sugar to make it easier to swallow. Pot needs to be decriminalized completely. In closing, I really do agree with all of you here. Yes. A hundred dollar fine is a lot easier to cope with than spending thousands in court fee's. And, yes. It not going on your record is a grand step forward. But do me a favor. Remember that it's just a way for the state to continue to rip you off for an action that truly falls outside the realm of government jurisprudence in an ideological sense. Since our beginnings as a country and a culture, we have seen the deterioration and degradation of liberty and freedoms that made this country special. In the spirit of liberty and freedom, we are all right and our views are valid. It's our leader's that suck, and the ease in which they are manipulated by interest's other than the people's. OK, OK... I'm dancing around on this soapbox and the nails are about to fall out. I'll take my leave.... but oh wow.. that really felt good to get off my chest...

thedeserttortoise,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Please riddle me this (residents of the afore mentioned state).

I heard today (in a poker chat room) that people are being busted left and right for DUI of cannabis now. Are they basing this on some sort of blood test rated scale? Or just metabolites in the wee wee?

Id really hate to think they have substituted one low hanging fruit for another.

AGBeer,

Beezleb

Yes AGbeer, it has been an issue in more than a few medical marijuanna states. Beware the blood test or so I hear. In my circles, it is somewhat commonly reported but I have not seen any figures from law enforcement.

Beezleb,

finchrock24

Proud MMJ Patient
AGBeer said:

I heard today (in a poker chat room) that people are being busted left and right for DUI of cannabis now. Are they basing this on some sort of blood test rated scale? Or just metabolites in the wee wee?

Id really hate to think they have substituted one low hanging fruit for another.

I have not idea if this is true or not, but I don't think it would be a bad thing. Listen, people should know by now that you can't be under the influence of anything and drive a car, IMO. I love pot as much as the next person here, but it would be silly to say that it is okay to smoke and drive (which I'm not saying that is what we are conveying) but not okay to drink and drive. I think that if you drive under teh influence, you should get busted. I know MMJ is different the alcohol and driving under the influence of one is completly different then the other but I think as an overall regards to saftey, its a good idae to bust all intoxicated drivers. Fuck, I see people who can JUST barely drive right now sober in CA...let alone fucked up.

finchrock24,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
finchrock24 said:
AGBeer said:

I have not idea if this is true or not, but I don't think it would be a bad thing. Listen, people should know by now that you can't be under the influence of anything and drive a car, IMO. I love pot as much as the next person here, but it would be silly to say that it is okay to smoke and drive (which I'm not saying that is what we are conveying) but not okay to drink and drive. I think that if you drive under teh influence, you should get busted. I know MMJ is different the alcohol and driving under the influence of one is completly different then the other but I think as an overall regards to saftey, its a good idae to bust all intoxicated drivers. Fuck, I see people who can JUST barely drive right now sober in CA...let alone fucked up.

I agree 100% here, but my question pertains to the 'low hanging fruit' comment as the 'real time field tests' for UtI of cannabis is still in its infancy.

Sure there are saliva tests, and of course the blood test (which gives more accurate readings) but both are more expensive and there is no real baseline of what under the influence enough to not be driving is. (Or is there?) Not to mention, this seems like a convenient excuse to haul you into jail to be processed. (Just to find out)

Whether I committed a crime or not, I still have to go through the motions of defending myself and proving otherwise just because an officer had 'probable cause' merely because I was in possession - making the transition to under the influence (in their opinion)... You get where I am going correct?

I ask these questions coming from a state that has the 'per se' laws enacted. You PEE hot and they can use that as 'evidence' of being under the influence. (Or another charge to 'stack' against you) :mad:

AGBeer,

Beezleb

States vary on how they handle dui with weed. The issue is not as simple as actually being intoxicated as thus far vagueness seems to rule the issue regarding how to identify if someone is intoxicated and on the level of intoxication represents a dui.

For example, I have seen more than a few discussions where a marijuana metabolite was found in the blood test from a day or so prior and saliva tests detects up to around 12 hours or so if I recall correctly and was charged as if they were currently under the influence at the time of the traffic issue.

I have no sympathy for anyone getting high and jumping in the car potentially causing serious dangers but as of right now due to ambiguous and vague legal terminology and the like more than a few states are having issues interpreting dui laws for medical weed. I will feel better about the issue once they determine realistic and appropriate testing levels for being under the influence and not simply having it still floating around in our blood/spit.

Beezleb,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
lwien said:
^^ This is kind of interesting >> http://www.wimp.com/marijuanadriving/

There are some things I would never attempt while stoned: fly my sailplane (when I had a sailplane), ride my motorcycle (when I had a motorcycle), SCUBA dive (I still dive). I have, however, driven halfway across Canada while completely ripped (hey it was the 70s) and both I and my driving partner agreed: being stoned made us concentrate harder and drive more carefully. This is pretty much what Gavin in the video says. I'm not saying it would be the same for everyone and I certainly am not advocating doing it, but I've heard this comment from others who do it routinely and I think it has some merit.

One thing I have done frequently while stoned that requires concentration and good reflexes: play pinball. I don't mean to boast but when straight I always was a really good pinball player, but when stoned I was unbeatable. I never got into the console video game thing (came along too late for me to be interested) but I wonder if anyone here is sharper playing video games after vaping.

pakalolo,

Nosferatu

pakalolo said:
lwien said:

There are some things I would never attempt while stoned: fly my sailplane (when I had a sailplane), ride my motorcycle (when I had a motorcycle), SCUBA dive (I still dive). I have, however, driven halfway across Canada while completely ripped (hey it was the 70s) and both I and my driving partner agreed: being stoned made us concentrate harder and drive more carefully. This is pretty much what Gavin in the video says. I'm not saying it would be the same for everyone and I certainly am not advocating doing it, but I've heard this comment from others who do it routinely and I think it has some merit.

One thing I have done frequently while stoned that requires concentration and good reflexes: play pinball. I don't mean to boast but when straight I always was a really good pinball player, but when stoned I was unbeatable. I never got into the console video game thing (came along too late for me to be interested) but I wonder if anyone here is sharper playing video games after vaping.

I am, same with driving, and most things. If I smoked though it would be a different story, its a shame the effects of smoking plant matter are confused with the effects of cannabis.

Nosferatu,

Nycdeisel

You are so right, masbanji, I agree, STILL there is lots of media BS about smoking, but those ignoramuses need to wake up and realize that not everyone uses cannabis via smoke and that not everyone can physically handle the smoke. I think vapes and edibles are slowly becoming more out there, a bit more mainstream.

the effect I get from smoke just brings me down, I mean couchlock, droopy looking eyes, and it just fucking tears my throat up, which I hate the most.

Nycdeisel,

Carbon

pakalolo said:
I never got into the console video game thing (came along too late for me to be interested) but I wonder if anyone here is sharper playing video games after vaping.
I am into console gaming and I can say that I am worse after vaping than sober. Even when my tolerance was pretty high, this was true. I'm sure I could get quite good at playing stoned if I did it enough, but it would be a separate learning curve. Movements just aren't quite as precise, and reaction time suffers just that much that it doesn't help, only hinders.

I'll reiterate this separate learning curve thing. When I first started getting high, I would say to myself that driving was the last thing I'd be able to do, but one day I found myself needing to give some people a ride home and it went flawlessly. Once I was over the psychological hump, it didn't really hurt my driving that much. A lot of cannabis consumption is less dangerous to driving than heavy alcohol consumption (if the person is fairly familiar with either substance) I would say. That however does not mean you are as alert and aware as sober. Most of us could probably drive drunk and high just fine most of the time, but as soon as something unexpected happens, that's when you're really tested. It's that split second decision making that your brain must do that will suffer the most. We can all probably cruise around just fine.

Carbon,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Carbon said:
Movements just aren't quite as precise, and reaction time suffers just that much that it doesn't help, only hinders.

It's the opposite for me, which is why I mentioned pinball. My anticipation is better so reactions are quicker. My judgment of when to flip the ball is more precise. It just makes my game better.

pakalolo,

jambolaya

Didn't this bill get signed in June?

pakalolo said:
lwien said:

I am way better at cod when I am high

jambolaya,

finchrock24

Proud MMJ Patient
danielofski said:
Didn't this bill get signed in June?

pakalolo said:
lwien said:

I am way better at cod when I am high

Went into affect as of Jan. 1st 2011. Thought I'd throw it out there as a reminder to all my non-medical CA pot users!

finchrock24,

Pappy

shmaporist
I know Arnold and Jerry. :p
Sorry to namedrop but it's pretty cool knowing the outgoing and incoming Govs.

Pappy,

thedeserttortoise

Carbon said:
pakalolo said:
I never got into the console video game thing (came along too late for me to be interested) but I wonder if anyone here is sharper playing video games after vaping.
I am into console gaming and I can say that I am worse after vaping than sober. Even when my tolerance was pretty high, this was true. I'm sure I could get quite good at playing stoned if I did it enough, but it would be a separate learning curve. Movements just aren't quite as precise, and reaction time suffers just that much that it doesn't help, only hinders.

I'll reiterate this separate learning curve thing. When I first started getting high, I would say to myself that driving was the last thing I'd be able to do, but one day I found myself needing to give some people a ride home and it went flawlessly. Once I was over the psychological hump, it didn't really hurt my driving that much. A lot of cannabis consumption is less dangerous to driving than heavy alcohol consumption (if the person is fairly familiar with either substance) I would say. That however does not mean you are as alert and aware as sober. Most of us could probably drive drunk and high just fine most of the time, but as soon as something unexpected happens, that's when you're really tested. It's that split second decision making that your brain must do that will suffer the most. We can all probably cruise around just fine.

What a truism. I drive while stoned quite often. I've always felt that I do quite well... but that split second thing is the real killer... it's hard enough while straight... add substance, add trouble. I'll probably still drive.. been doing it for 45 years without incident... maybe not the way to act but it is reality. I do know that I slow down and take things slower when stoned. Maybe one action counters the other reaction time thing? By the way.. lived in Calif most my life....loved diving stoned. A joint, a couple beers, and 20 minutes below the waves..... the closest thing to being truly spaced out... well almost the closet.. "I get on a bus that take's me to you", "two bucks,,,the Magic Bus". ;)

thedeserttortoise,
Top Bottom