Sanjay Gupta punctures the myth

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
Thanks for sharing, I've been meaning to check this out!

Very interested to see his documentary "WEED" I hear it will shine some much deserved positive light onto the medical use of cannabis.

aesthyrian,
Reactions: lwien

Kief

Medicated
This is a really great article that everyone needs to read. Too bad it's not getting many views here. If I was the social networking type, I'd be posting that link everywhere I could. This would be a great thing for all politicians to read/watch, could really open some eyes.

CNN's Dr. Sanjay Gupta is respected and trusted in the national spotlight, this could really make a difference. Spread the word, tell everyone you know to read "Why I Changed My Mind on Weed" and/or watch the groundbreaking new documentary "WEED" Sunday August 11 at 8 p.m. EST on CNN.

Gunky

Gupta is still somewhat under the influence of some drug war rhetoric, such as the way he talks about a percentage of cannabis users as dependant/addicted. As dependancies go this isn't much of one if you can kick it completely after a week of nothing worse than longing and yearning. All of us by necessity have experienced this numerous times - sometimes it wasn't available or you had to take a test...

Gunky,

Crohnie

Crohn's Warrior
This is an important story. Gupta is known and respected by millions. He is, arguably, the most well known doctor in the US. I respect him for admitting that he was wrong AND apologizing for it. How many public figures do that these days and actually MEAN it?

I'm looking forward to watching his special. Gupta could become the most influential advocate that MMJ has yet seen. Better late than never. Thank you, Dr. Gupta!

lwien

Yeah, I mentioned this awhile back, but apparently some didn't see it:

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/in-depth-discussion-on-the-benefits-of-weed.10334/

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/this-was-on-the-front-page-of-cnns-website.10463/

Thanks for spreading the word though, Gunky. CNN is really sticking their neck out on this one and I really applaud them for doing so. Looks like it's going to be a good documentary. CNN has been promoting the hell out of it on all their other programming.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Didn't Obama ask Gupta to be Surgeon General? It would be fucking awesome to have a Surgeon General with half a brain. If I was Surgeon General, I would make all the big pharma TV commercials - that already have to list all the possible side effects - to end each disclaimer with "..... and cannabis is probably more effective" :lol:

:peace:

lwien

Gupta is still somewhat under the influence of some drug war rhetoric, such as the way he talks about a percentage of cannabis users as dependant/addicted. As dependancies go this isn't much of one if you can kick it completely after a week of nothing worse than longing and yearning.

Gunky, there are some who have a lot more of a difficult time in putting down the weed than just a bit of longing and yearning for a week.

Didn't Obama ask Gupta to be Surgeon General?

Yes he did but he turned it down.

lwien,

Gunky

Gunky, there are some who have a lot more of a difficult time in putting down the weed than just a bit of longing and yearning for a week.

Yes he did but he turned it down.
Well, ok, but have you ever actually met anyone like that? He makes it sound like there are all these tormented addicts out there in withdrawal and it's not true.

Gunky,

lwien

Didn't Obama ask Gupta to be Surgeon General?

Well, ok, but have you ever actually met anyone like that? He makes it sound like there are all these tormented addicts out there in withdrawal and it's not true.

There are some here who have had a pretty difficult time putting down the weed and some can be really tormented about it. But regarding Gupta, I think he states that the addictive rate of MJ is something like 6%, which didn't sound to me like he was implying that there are "all these" tormented addicts running around out there foaming at the mouth.

Yes but if we are prohibiting substances because of how addictive they are then what about nicotine?

Yup, and that's one of the things that Gupta talks about.

On another note, I don't think that I have EVER heard ANY doctor making a public apology about anything, let alone their prior stance on weed. I heard him interviewed today and he said that he needed to apologize to all of those people who didn't get the relief that they could have got because of his prior stance on this subject, both publicly and in his private practice. You could tell by the look on his face that he really felt pretty shitty about this.

And............how many would want to bet me that the day after this airs, Fox News is going to attack CNN for drugging up America and putting it's kids at risk? I'd bet my last dollar on it.

Last edited:

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
I loved the video. There was a nice arguement and I like how media are beginning talking about the subject in the real light. Also it seemed to me that all the Howard S. feared about was the mass post-legalization craze especially in children community. This seems to be the one of the last anti-legalization claims that is going down. Maybe if he was told alcohol and cigarettes are actually harder for minors to obtain because they're legal and regulated. Yes it is as well illegal selling to children now, but now it's dealers doing the job, who are already outlaws, so selling to children doesn't bother them anymore. A law-abiding person would never sell pot to healthy minors. And the post-legalization craze is always temporary. Maybe if Howard was told this he would need some time of silence for rethinking.

edit: Also i don't get his support for decriminalization as opposed to legalization. If the craze a minor use is what he fears, than decrimi is not the way. Wouldn't that make it more available yet still the market would remain in criminal hands. Also dealers are everywhere, i think it would take a lot of time to build larger legal structure, i don't predict any immediate superavailability compared to today.

Last edited:

Crohnie

Crohn's Warrior
This story is really starting to get world attention. Make sure to watch Gupta's special "Weed" tonight on CNN. 8PM Eastern.

It's difficult to overestimate the positive influence Gupta and this special could have on MMJ in the US. "Weed" could easily become, IMHO, the most important and influential documentary on the subject. The sheer numbers of people who will watch it simply because of Gupta should be quite something.

Last edited:

lwien

That's 8:00PM both PT and ET, 7:00 Central.

CNN has been hyping the shit out of this the whole week. Glad to see that it's getting world-wide attention.

Enchantre

Oil Painter
Actually, as I read it, he was comparing the rates of addiction for schedule 1, 2, and other drugs, and pointing out that the possible addiction rate of MMJ is half that of a shed 2 drug, and less than a third of those that get addicted to nicotine.

He really said nothing about tormented addicts in withdrawal. You are reading in your own assumptions.

Enchantre,
Reactions: Kief

Gunky

Well, in the video he mentioned a 'dependancy' rate of 9%. Whatever that means. On the one hand he claims it's not medically addictive, on the other he says some people suffer withdrawal symptoms. Some could mean two - he never quantifies that. There is still some confusion about dependency/withdrawal which sort of puts it on a spectrum with narcotics - it's addictive, just less - but in my opinion there is an order of magnitude difference in the physical withdrawal (which I have never seen in myself or anyone I know putting down cannabis, unlike say, tobacco).

Gunky,

lwien

Well, in the video he mentioned a 'dependancy' rate of 9%. Whatever that means. On the one hand he claims it's not medically addictive, on the other he says some people suffer withdrawal symptoms. Some could mean two - he never quantifies that. There is still some confusion about dependency/withdrawal which sort of puts it on a spectrum with narcotics - it's addictive, just less - but in my opinion there is an order of magnitude difference in the physical withdrawal (which I have never seen in myself or anyone I know putting down cannabis, unlike say, tobacco).

This very well may be covered in tonight doc.

What he meant by that 9% is that 9% of those that smoke weed could develop a dependency and while MJ may not be physically addictive, it very could be psychologically addictive, which during withdrawal, can very well manifest itself with physical symptoms..........in that 9%.

lwien,
Reactions: Kief

Gunky

This very well may be covered in tonight doc.

What he meant by that 9% is that 9% of those that smoke weed could develop a dependency and while MJ may not be physically addictive, it very could be psychologically addictive, which during withdrawal, can very well manifest itself with physical symptoms..........in that 9%.

Have you ever experienced or known anyone to experience physical symptoms?

Let me just add this. Gupta's teaser article was right on and I'm looking forward to the big piece. However, he had some things wrong before and he is probably going to get a few things wrong now. It's a process. The big advance is somebody in the main stream media with medical credibility is detailing the absurdity of the federal schedule, the catch-22 of trying to do research, and the clear medical benefits with extremely low toxicity.

Last edited:
Gunky,

lwien

Have you ever experienced or known anyone to experience physical symptoms?

Sure. There are many here as well who have reported physical withdrawal symptoms when going on extended T-breaks from insomnia, to loss of appetite, to major anxiety attacks, to night sweats, to chills, to anger issues, etc........

The fact is, is that besides the total bullshit that has gone on in regards to the anti-mj stance, there is also a lot of bullshit with the pro-mj crowd as well. There are purveyors of myth on both sides of the equation.

Last edited:

Gunky

I'll take your word for it but I have trouble believing the rate of physical withdrawal symptoms is even 1%.

Top Bottom