Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

WelshBrok

What size screen are you using to make dry sift?

I use a tumbler with a 145 micron screen. I never got a 50% return making hash rosin. Bubble hash yes, tumbler hash no.
Oops, forgot to reply to this. I don’t make the hash myself but it’s what they call triple filtered (silly name) over EU ways, which actually means 73u and is already pressed into a block (or in this case egg) hence the darker colour as more trichome heads pre-broken and more oxidisation before pressing

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
@Chicken No Name

That looks wonderful, i have the same experience with long term storage, even in the fridge i feel like it stays pretty much the same as when it went in, given that its stored in a good container or a air sealed plastic bag atleast!
Cheers.
I generally store 2g amounts between a fold of grease proof paper. This is put in one of those little sealable bags used for herbs etc.
Many of these bags are placed together in a sort of freezer bag, and this is then put in the freezer.
These precautions keep freezer burn away and seem to maintain freshness fairly well.

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
IMG_20211026_163606869.jpg

IMG_20211030_191744426.jpg

Bro Grimm c99 bubble hash rosin. 120 and 45 bags combined and pressed in 25 micron for 90 secs at 80c approx 2.5t at plate.

I've come to the conclusion over the last year that I'm going to go full bubble rosin. I find the taste, effects and smoothness much superior to plain rosin.

More work, less return but more than worthwhile imo.

Wish I could afford a freeze dryer...

So half of future grows to the washing machine and half kept as cured flower.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Wish I could afford a freeze dryer...

You might be interested in some of the Wine Cooler modifications people have done to do live rosin without a freeze dryer. I’ve seen a few vids on YouTube about it, but my buddy has a freeze dryer so I haven’t tried it.

I agree with everything you said about hash rosin + !!

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
You might be interested in some of the Wine Cooler modifications people have done to do live rosin without a freeze dryer. I’ve seen a few vids on YouTube about it, but my buddy has a freeze dryer so I haven’t tried it.

I agree with everything you said about hash rosin + !!
Interesting. Thanks.
Heard of folk converting to dry herb at perfect temp/humidity but not for bubble so will have a look....
Good to have buddies like that....

anda1anda2

What is the minimum amount of material recommended for a bubble run? I’m always tempted to try, but I grow in a small tent so my yields are usually in the 8oz range.

For reference with an 8oz harvest I’ll press half into flower rosin and keep the other half for dry herb vaping. That keeps me with more than enough supply between harvests. I’m scared with bubble i would burn through my harvest too quick.

shredder

What is the minimum amount of material recommended for a bubble run? I’m always tempted to try, but I grow in a small tent so my yields are usually in the 8oz range.

For reference with an 8oz harvest I’ll press half into flower rosin and keep the other half for dry herb vaping. That keeps me with more than enough supply between harvests. I’m scared with bubble i would burn through my harvest too quick.

Even though you will lose some volume making a concentrate you gain quality. I think most growers concentrate their trim and popcorn buds, and save their buds for vaping/smoking. But it's a personal choice. For me I use a tumbler to make sift hash from the popcorn buds, then squeeze that for a high end rosin. Hash rosin relegates flower rosin to second place.

As to a minimum amount to make bubble hash, for me personally I wouldn't bother with less than an oz. You can do less, but it's a lot of fiddle fucking around for a small amount. For what it's worth maybe consider squeezing that bubble for a high end hash rosin.

anda1anda2

Even though you will lose some volume making a concentrate you gain quality. I think most growers concentrate their trim and popcorn buds, and save their buds for vaping/smoking. But it's a personal choice. For me I use a tumbler to make sift hash from the popcorn buds, then squeeze that for a high end rosin. Hash rosin relegates flower rosin to second place.

As to a minimum amount to make bubble hash, for me personally I wouldn't bother with less than an oz. You can do less, but it's a lot of fiddle fucking around for a small amount. For what it's worth maybe consider squeezing that bubble for a high end hash rosin.
Right on. That’s helpful. Thanks man. Maybe next grow I’ll set aside a couple ounces to experiment.

what tumbler are you using? How does the yield compare to bubble?

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused

Minimum?

Depends on your bubble bag size.
When I do a run, I use the 19l bags and a small camping washing machine.
I tend to wash about a minimum of 100g but generally 150g at a time (dry weight).

And I use primo buds. My trim goes to making canbabutter etc. But I'm not dissing using trim. It's just I have enough product.....

So your 4oz harvest for rosin would give you a good bubble run.

In terms of return. For ref.
For my c99 (which after 4 years I have just finished with her. Time for a change) I get 25% pressing for rosin.
For bubble, combining all bag sizes together, I get about 18% to 20% return.
When pressed in 25micron, I get about 65% return.
So for 100g dried herb, I get about 25g of plain rosin or about 12g of absolutely gorgeous bubble rosin.

Ive only been pressing for the last 18 months so am still a complete novice.

But in this time my preference is now totally for bubble rosin.

Smoother, tastier and stronger.

I need less product to get me where I want. The biggest issue is it is so moorish.

Good luck....

Edit. Never used tumbler or dry ice. My understanding is quantity goes up (and ease of extraction) but quality goes down.
I think if you favour quality over quantity then washing machine and bubble bags are the way....

Psychosis bx2 bubble hash rosin I made couple weeks ago......

IMG_20211026_163853823.jpg

MegaMan2k

Minimum?

Depends on your bubble bag size.
When I do a run, I use the 19l bags and a small camping washing machine.
I tend to wash about a minimum of 100g but generally 150g at a time (dry weight).

Amazing quality you are producing, "Only been doing this for 18 months, still a novice!" :D

When you do a 100gram wash do you prefer hand stirring in a bucket or do you use the washing machine always?

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
Amazing quality you are producing, "Only been doing this for 18 months, still a novice!" :D

When you do a 100gram wash do you prefer hand stirring in a bucket or do you use the washing machine always?
Cheers. Kind words. But when you see what some of the crazy cats on here and elsewhere are making.....but I'm happy enough!

I use the machine only. When I did smaller amounts in the little bags I hand stirred but it is too tiring and too cold so now a little camping machine does the job.
I do a few runs and keep the first for special.

Tbh, I can't see much difference but that's me. Probably why I never achieve the next level of quality.

Wish I had access to some pro product to compare as mine is the only concentrate I have ever consumed (I'm not including the shite hash Ive consumed in the past).

Have done live once now. Lower yields but wonderful taste. Subtle notes come through that you don't notice with rosin.

Hah. I better shut up now else I may wax lyrically on the wonderful flavours and notes that become more apparent with bubble rosin. My younger self would have a right laugh at such guff whilst sucking on a dirty spliff and coughing a lung up....

shredder

Right on. That’s helpful. Thanks man. Maybe next grow I’ll set aside a couple ounces to experiment.

what tumbler are you using? How does the yield compare to bubble?

I use a bubble magic tumbler with a 145u screen. And I get a roughly 30% return using bone dry, frozen buds. I stop tumbling at about 30 minutes or when the color starts to change. And I press that in 20u bags.

Bubble hash generally returns less with higher quality depending on the screen sizes. But the fiddle factor is quite a bit higher. The tumbler is pretty simple, load it close the cover and start it. I made 3 batches for a total of 92grams in about 2 hours a couple days ago.

MegaMan2k

Cheers. Kind words. But when you see what some of the crazy cats on here and elsewhere are making.....but I'm happy enough!

I use the machine only. When I did smaller amounts in the little bags I hand stirred but it is too tiring and too cold so now a little camping machine does the job.
I do a few runs and keep the first for special.

Tbh, I can't see much difference but that's me. Probably why I never achieve the next level of quality.

Wish I had access to some pro product to compare as mine is the only concentrate I have ever consumed (I'm not including the shite hash Ive consumed in the past).

Have done live once now. Lower yields but wonderful taste. Subtle notes come through that you don't notice with rosin.

Hah. I better shut up now else I may wax lyrically on the wonderful flavours and notes that become more apparent with bubble rosin. My younger self would have a right laugh at such guff whilst sucking on a dirty spliff and coughing a lung up....

ah lots of people just dress up their rosin for a good picture etc. so dont beat urself up over what people post :D
If ur goin thru the whole process of growin and extracting by urself i would very much say u already on that level for sure, now its down to the minor details in the grow to make further progress

Do you press the 1st wash alone, and then mix the rest of the washes for a combined press with the "rest" ?

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
ah lots of people just dress up their rosin for a good picture etc. so dont beat urself up over what people post :D
If ur goin thru the whole process of growin and extracting by urself i would very much say u already on that level for sure, now its down to the minor details in the grow to make further progress

Do you press the 1st wash alone, and then mix the rest of the washes for a combined press with the "rest" ?
Thanks again....

I generally collect 120 and then 45 (I used to use more bags but right faff).

If I'm doing say 2 X 100g washes, I will keep and merge both first washes of 45 bag.
I will probably get another one, maybe 2 more good washes before I see green tint. These washes I combine.
I generally get another couple washes with green tint so lower quality and these are combined.

So I generally end up with a first wash combo of 45 bags. 2nd and 3rd wash from 45 combined, last washes combined. So 3 grades of 45 bag.

I combine all the 120 first few washes together and then last few washes together. So 2 grades of 120 bag.

As I mentioned, I used to use more bags but you may end up with just a few grams of each quality making is more wasteful when pressing. I tend to press around 7 g of bubble at a time.

This seems to work for me. That's not to say it's the best method and I've only done 5 bubble runs so far. But I'm really into the results so I see more in my future!

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Was feelin like a dab, pulled out the Dabpress!

Some Strawberry Cough and KushWreck nugs juiced at 175. I call it... Kush Cough 😁

051908-B0-D568-40-E9-A393-971-E2923-BD96.jpg

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Of all the variables when pressing, one never discussed in any detail is temperature of your environment.

Has anyone studied this in any detail? Any of you in colder climates care to do an experiment keeping all other variables the same (amount, material, bags, press routine/times, etc.)? Thinking one press inside and another on a porch or in a carport.

I’ve always pressed with temps in my shop between 65-75*F. What changes when pressing in temps 40-50*F? Would it kill production?

On the other side, are there any significant differences when pressing in environments warmer than 90*F?

Just ruminating, appreciate any feedback.

shredder

Of all the variables when pressing, one never discussed in any detail is temperature of your environment.

Has anyone studied this in any detail? Any of you in colder climates care to do an experiment keeping all other variables the same (amount, material, bags, press routine/times, etc.)? Thinking one press inside and another on a porch or in a carport.

I’ve always pressed with temps in my shop between 65-75*F. What changes when pressing in temps 40-50*F? Would it kill production?

On the other side, are there any significant differences when pressing in environments warmer than 90*F?

Just ruminating, appreciate any feedback.

I press in a unheated pole barn and live in the north. Pressing in winter has never been an issue. The only difference is the rosin cools off quicker.

I've never pressed in the 90's.

I have noticed high humidity can make rosin kinda gooey, but not a heck of a lot of difference.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I had about 8g of various flower that had been sitting in different jars for about 2-3 years. It was kept well at cellar temps in masons with boveda packs and vacuum sealed lids. While old, the buds did smell pretty good and so I decided to just make a large puck and press it. I barely got the puck between the plates and did a first run at 180F for 3 min and a second at 200F. I don't have a pressure gauge. At 13% yield, what I got was a little over a gram of this dark brown rosin that doesn't taste that great when vaped. Even at some low vape temps, the taste is yucky and roasty tasting. Plus the high is this muddy, sedative blah feeling.

Now I'm wondering if I should make a tincture and try to use it as sleep medicine, or just figure that life is too short for bad weed and chuck it. It's a shame because it was some really nice bud when I first bought it, but I got into the resins and sauces and lost interest in flower.

Last edited:
Top Bottom