Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

Joel W.

Deplorable Basement Dweller
Accessory Maker
I'm pretty certain you'll already know this, but just in case:
Please be aware that those g-glass screen protectors have a very thin layer of silicone material on the contact side to adhere to the screen.

Apologies if you've alreadyconsidered this!

Brilliant idea BTW.

Yes, the adhesive side went to the jaws. It was worth a shot. :).

Pyr0

Stoned Roses
My first Rosin extraction :) and also my first concentrate :)
Fq6tjbD.jpg

I should have used scales, but I was too excited to try it out lol
I set the cheap hair straighteners to 220F and squashed a small piece of Holy Grail, using an Irwin clamp for a minute or more.

I've just put it in a nail for my EVO...

[edit] that was really tasty :science:
[edit] the taste is lingering in my mouth, it's like i've been chewing on the plant or something.

Last edited:

iDRINKBLEACH

knowing is half the power - Gi-JOE
Accessory Maker
...you just quoted all the information available on it. Uses air or steam to help remove the oil. No feasible idea of going about it.
was wondering about a video. I do get the process but wanted to see it in action because buying an espresso n putting herb in it is to expensive just to see. I looked for a rosin tech group and I'm not sure which one is the right group and fear joining a group that isn't private because of laws.

randomtoker

My first Rosin extraction :) and also my first concentrate :)
Fq6tjbD.jpg

I should have used scales, but I was too excited to try it out lol
I set the cheap hair straighteners to 220F and squashed a small piece of Holy Grail, using an Irwin clamp for a minute or more.

I've just put it in a nail for my EVO...

[edit] that was really tasty :science:
[edit] the taste is lingering in my mouth, it's like i've been chewing on the plant or something.
Nice one! So, overall did you like it? Will you do it again? Did you do the rest of your bud?

Pyr0

Stoned Roses
Hi @randomtoker :wave:

Yeah I did enjoy trying concentrates for the first time :science: :ko:
I've been squashing a few more buds, but just as needed as it seems to change if I leave it.
The first night I squashed another with the straighteners set to 220F but I left it on parchment overnight.
When I came home from work the next evening I found the rosin had turned opaque and the texture had changed to a more waxy feel. It wasn't as tacky any more and didn't want to leave the parchment cleanly.
I should have taken pics but instead I managed to roll it up into a ball and drop it into a nail :p

I'm trying 225F today and it feels a bit stiffer/harder.
http://i.imgur.com/VkSuPwP.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/o0S705T.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/cZL8SYs.jpg

At this point I wish I had straighteners with wider plates. (these plates measure approx 25mm x 90mm)
I did start searching but not many list the minimum temperature setting.

It is extra work torching/cleaning the glass nail for the EVO after each use but I find I need to if I want to be able to enjoy any sort of flavour instead of having the taste remind me of reclaim.

Also I find it hard to judge how much to put in the nails. Too little and not enough cloud and an unpleasant taste at the end, or too much and it's still going after I've filled my lungs lol

[edit] Not sure how long these "thc professional" straighteners are going to last for, I've just noticed the outer casing cracking already and the plates move side to side lol

If anyone has any tips or advice, I'm here to learn :D

Last edited:

randomtoker

Sweet pics!

If you look at the previous page in this thread, I posted a pic of my clamp. I have the same Irwin as you. Different straighteners, but they're all pretty similar. I started by putting the straighteners right in the clamp just to try it out, but then I stripped them down. It's a lot better now.

I took apart my straighteners and attached them directly to each of the clamps with double sided tape. Each heating element already had a solid hard plastic base behind it, so I only had to remove all the extra plastic around those and the handles, then tape that right to the clamp.

It took a small screwdriver to pull a couple of the screws out. Then I used a flat-head screwdriver to pry some plastic parts apart. And finally, cut some parts off with a Dremel tool. It's not too difficult if you take your time and look at it carefully. Be cautious to not break any of the wiring connections while taking it apart. I taped the handle that has the power control and power lead right to the clamp as well. Also, I covered the metal rail of the clamp with electric tape just in case any of the wires ever touch it. The wires that go from the power lead to the heating elements were already covered, but I taped the rail anyway to be certain.

Someone else, maybe @heady blunts ? posted some pics a few pages back of similar breakdowns that took apart the straighteners and put the heaters right on the clamp as I did. Looking at those pics also could help.

I suggest it. It makes pressing with the clamp much easier because you're just dealing with one 'tool' instead of juggling the clamp plus the straighteners.

Pyr0

Stoned Roses
I thought about the just attaching these plates to the clamp but I've just found some 1.5 inch wide straighteners that say they do 80-230C on Amazon for £9.99 delivered :)

I've started using a piece of parchment like a joint paper to roll my bud into sausages before I press it.
It was squeezing outside of the heaters and actually burst the parchment earlier :doh: lol

randomtoker

Hmm, I haven't tried that. I had issues when I tried to use the full rectangular length of the heaters but I wasn't prepping it so well. That sausage tek (lol) could help me.

So far, it's been easiest for me to just do a little piece (like half gram) instead of trying to fill the rectangle length of the whole heaters. I pack it into a tiny round puck then stick it in my folded parchment. I then close the clamp slowly (just partially) to mash the bud and let it all settle so it won't move anymore during the real squish. Then I start the real press to mash it. I've been able to keep it all under control pretty ok like this (keeping it in the heaters, and preventing parchment tears). But I think I'll give the sausage a try next time.

farscaper

I thought about the just attaching these plates to the clamp but I've just found some 1.5 inch wide straighteners that say they do 80-230C on Amazon for £9.99 delivered :)

I've started using a piece of parchment like a joint paper to roll my bud into sausages before I press it.
It was squeezing outside of the heaters and actually burst the parchment earlier :doh: lol
when you use that tech, take another small piece of parchment and wrap it around the first tube of parchment. This will prevent blowing out the side.

I prefer this tech cause it leaves the flowers dry where as all other techs have had an edge that had a little rosin on it. with the tube tech I didnt ever have that leftovers issue but I did blow out a tube or two until I started putting a jacket around it.

randomtoker

when you use that tech, take another small piece of parchment and wrap it around the first tube of parchment. This will prevent blowing out the side.

I prefer this tech cause it leaves the flowers dry where as all other techs have had an edge that had a little rosin on it. with the tube tech I didnt ever have that leftovers issue but I did blow out a tube or two until I started putting a jacket around it.
Ooh, I'm glad you brought this up. I was looking at pictures and some videos and I still can't really figure this out. So you roll a tube of parchment around the flowers? So sort of like a joint almost? And you leave it on when you press? So the rosin flows out each end of the tube when it's pressed? You even double wrap the tube? Sorry for all the questions, I'm trying to figure this out and pics and videos haven't clicked yet for me.

farscaper

Ooh, I'm glad you brought this up. I was looking at pictures and some videos and I still can't really figure this out. So you roll a tube of parchment around the flowers? So sort of like a joint almost? And you leave it on when you press? So the rosin flows out each end of the tube when it's pressed? You even double wrap the tube? Sorry for all the questions, I'm trying to figure this out and pics and videos haven't clicked yet for me.
I think you have got it down right.

fold your parchment like a zigzag comes out of the box and then roll a tube.

pack the ends with a pencil or something to get the mass in the middle. just make sure your mass stays completely inside the plates and the only areas sticking out are the open ends.

iDRINKBLEACH

knowing is half the power - Gi-JOE
Accessory Maker
Sweet pics!

If you look at the previous page in this thread, I posted a pic of my clamp. I have the same Irwin as you. Different straighteners, but they're all pretty similar. I started by putting the straighteners right in the clamp just to try it out, but then I stripped them down. It's a lot better now.

I took apart my straighteners and attached them directly to each of the clamps with double sided tape. Each heating element already had a solid hard plastic base behind it, so I only had to remove all the extra plastic around those and the handles, then tape that right to the clamp.

It took a small screwdriver to pull a couple of the screws out. Then I used a flat-head screwdriver to pry some plastic parts apart. And finally, cut some parts off with a Dremel tool. It's not too difficult if you take your time and look at it carefully. Be cautious to not break any of the wiring connections while taking it apart. I taped the handle that has the power control and power lead right to the clamp as well. Also, I covered the metal rail of the clamp with electric tape just in case any of the wires ever touch it. The wires that go from the power lead to the heating elements were already covered, but I taped the rail anyway to be certain.

Someone else, maybe @heady blunts ? posted some pics a few pages back of similar breakdowns that took apart the straighteners and put the heaters right on the clamp as I did. Looking at those pics also could help.

I suggest it. It makes pressing with the clamp much easier because you're just dealing with one 'tool' instead of juggling the clamp plus the straighteners.
I have a little clamp setup. As soon as I get to the bank I will have a lot better setup but this has been working atm.
20151213_201308.jpeg
Wet to straight remington straight minimum is about 240-250 was going to upgrade it but decided to get a vise here real soon. Its clamp is 600 lbs

Monsoon

My plates arrived and my press is setup and already spitting out rosin! I did some naked squishes and got some to try out. It was very flavourful, maybe a tad too much, even and gave me a flower high which hit me hard since I'm not used to it. Might change, but at the moment I still prefer my QWET over flower rosin. I'll try some dry sift when my bags show up, I'm thinking I might prefer that and it will be easier to press out in quantity anyway.

ZSjDqLH.jpeg

Pyr0

Stoned Roses

Ah, I haven't been leaving the tube around the sausage... I've just been rolling the sausage, then putting it between a folded piece of parchment and flattening it a little bit before I put it in the clamp.

It was before I started rolling the bud into sausages that I had the blowout. It just spread too much into the fold.

Ideally I'd like to use as little paper as possible really as I think the way I'm doing it at the moment is quite wasteful imho. I've even been trying to re-use pieces

I was wondering if the oil slick duo pad set would be any good for pressing with.
Does anyone know how thick the pads are please?
[edit] ordered a pair from ebay anyway as I figured they'd probably be useful :shrug:

Last edited:

farscaper

Ah, I haven't been leaving the tube around the sausage... I've just been rolling the sausage, then putting it between a folded piece of parchment and flattening it a little bit before I put it in the clamp.

It was before I started rolling the bud into sausages that I had the blowout. It just spread too much into the fold.

Ideally I'd like to use as little paper as possible really as I think the way I'm doing it at the moment is quite wasteful imho. I've even been trying to re-use pieces

I was wondering if the oil slick duo pad set would be any good for pressing with.
Does anyone know how thick the pads are please?
[edit] ordered a pair from ebay anyway as I figured they'd probably be useful :shrug:
when pressing gold out of flowers I dont care how much parchment is needed as long as everything comes out in 1 pressing. ironically I dont use much more parchment with the tube tech over individual folded squares. I just have alot less work to do since I can press more at a time. collection is easier to imo. since everything ends up on one side or the other.

you will also find that once used... a second use with parchment often yields difficulty in removing all the rosin from the parchment.

plus, parchment is cheap and biodegradable.

:peace:

Pyr0

Stoned Roses
Yeah, I just hate seeing the little pile of parchment squares building up lol
I'll give the extra tube of parchment a go when I get home from work this evening, thanks :)

Pyr0,
Reactions: VegNVape

farscaper

Yeah, I just hate seeing the little pile of parchment squares building up lol
I'll give the extra tube of parchment a go when I get home from work this evening, thanks :)
the extra parchment jacket is reusable time and time again. as long as you dont bust it. I reused a piece til I lost it... thats the only reason I ever replaced the second layer "jacket" I used a jacket on REGULAR squares as well. more paper means less likely to blow out.

Joel W.

Deplorable Basement Dweller
Accessory Maker
got some to try out. It was very flavourful, maybe a tad too much, even and gave me a flower high which hit me hard since I'm not used to it. Might change, but at the moment I still prefer my QWET over flower rosin.
. Interesting. That might be the first I have heard that preference. I have only made qwet* once though.

I tried some forgotten amber bho shatter (used to love it) from back in June yesterday and there is no going back for me.
Maybe rosin is an acquired taste? Nice looking plates BTW. :)

*fixed

Last edited:

Monsoon

. Interesting. That might be the first I have heard that preference. I have only made qwet* once though.

I tried some forgotten amber bho shatter (used to love it) from back in June yesterday and there is no going back for me.
Maybe rosin is an acquired taste? Nice looking plates BTW. :)

*fixed
My current QWET process has yielded fully dewaxed shatter with amazing flavor everytime so far (8-ish runs) so that's what it's competing against. But I also use oils for edibles and lotion so even if it's not my preferred for dabbing I still have a use for it.

randomtoker

I know a couple of people here have tried pressing fresh/frozen buds to try to emulate 'live resin' without success (too watery?).

I was just wondering if anyone has done this:
Fresh frozen -> dry ice sift -> press the sift (bubble, whatever you want to call it)

Seems like removing the plant matter and having the freshest trichs would provide the best possible rosin. Sorry if this was already discussed. I've seen people talking about pressing fresh frozen buds and pressing sift/bubble, but not this particular process I think.

Top Bottom