Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

BoogerMan

So is it possible that with enough pressure, no heat would be needed.

This was discussed in about the last 10-15 pages. IIRC the biggest concern was the material. We don't have a material that can withstand pressures to test this theory of super high pressure and no heat. Parchment just won't work for this test.
Other believed that a little heat is needed to help create a little steam from the moisture in the bud to help the rosin flow out. They believe if you use all pressure and no heat, the rosin will just be squished straight into the bud and it will not flow outwards.

Only way to really find out is to test :science:

Monsoon

I've been seeing people doing squishes at between 150F-180F on hydraulic presses and mostly getting budder as a result which I find interesting. It would mean you could alter the end consistency using temperature similar to vacuum purging.

D-Nail bought some sort of industrial heated press for experimenting so hopefully some new info will make it's way out of that.

BoogerMan

@Monsoon I might try low temps like that this weekend since the CuNi roundbar seems to be able to withstand 10 tons of pressure :tup:
I just hope the parchment can withstand that pressure too :ko:

Linked from @Joel W.'s thread.

Oh and isn't this a pretty picture :tup: thanks again @Joel W.! Looks better and cleaner than I could have imagined!

993960E9-2218-4E82-AA81-CF10C45F3C78_zpsnnqlm2el.jpg

Monsoon

@Monsoon I might try low temps like that this weekend since the CuNi roundbar seems to be able to withstand 10 tons of pressure :tup:
I just hope the parchment can withstand that pressure too :ko:

Linked from @Joel W.'s thread.

Oh and isn't this a pretty picture :tup: thanks again @Joel W.! Looks better and cleaner than I could have imagined!

993960E9-2218-4E82-AA81-CF10C45F3C78_zpsnnqlm2el.jpg
Sweet can't wait to see it squishing! The new plates look sweet too.

BoogerMan

5 ton press. Parchment test.

Using Albertsons Essential Everyday (store brand) parchment.

And 10 ton press. Parchment test.

5 ton parchment on left. 10 ton on right. The 10 ton looks like it did a little more damage, but not a huge difference!
726C6890-EAD5-498E-B82B-4AA01C9A0D07_zpslrnejd9s.jpg

EDIT:

I love the noise the press makes when you release the pressure. Especially at 10 tons. Sounds super futuristic like a door opening on an alien spacecraft :lol:

EDIT 2:

Ohhhhhhhh check this out. There is a dark spot on the plates. So is it silicon from the parchment or did 10 tons push a tiny bit of oil through the parchment without tearing it? Or maybe there are micro tears. I sure can't see any though.
D5C7E4F4-00D7-438C-AAF6-7F8BC1CC8AD1_zpsrbwx7046.jpg

Last edited:

ReggieB

I wonder if the faces on your plates need some lapping like they do for cpu coolers?

ReggieB,

zach707

hey how many post do you have to do to be able to upload a pic.I would like to see a pic of your discs from that "baker". something doesn't seem to be adding up

zach707,

BoogerMan

@BoogerMan , Maybe try pressing just parchment and see if the jaw get any new "material" on it again?

I'd like to see what just the parchment looks like after 5-10tons without herb oil?
Did 8 tons on just parchment after cleaning the plates with 91% iso

The plates were only warm to the touch though (shut the heaters off a little bit ago).

Before press
00F830CE-72EF-4B63-A919-4D5EE5F5EEA0_zpsgmq4zggi.jpg

After:
92E2B779-537B-41F3-A18C-B3A7F15EA312_zpsr3hm1lrm.jpg

The parchment:
4EB4D092-970F-4FCE-BFDC-4B9F42722BA9_zpsv37rnd2x.jpg

So it must be a tiny bit of oil seeping through the parchment?

I'm going to stick with around 3-4 tons of pressure. I don't see any reason to go any higher for now. The oil tastes damn good at <220F so I'm happy :D

EDIT:

10 tons at 76F doesn't do shit haha. Just a flat, flimsy, still moist and oily left over nug. Some stuck to the parchment when I was removing the nug (I'm assuming from the sticky oil haha).
CEF07162-B3A4-45D9-8A36-DC3871B0733B_zpssi7hhjj4.jpg

Last edited:

EpicNameGuy

The plates were only warm to the touch though (shut the heaters off a little bit ago).

Before press
00F830CE-72EF-4B63-A919-4D5EE5F5EEA0_zpsgmq4zggi.jpg

After:
92E2B779-537B-41F3-A18C-B3A7F15EA312_zpsr3hm1lrm.jpg

The parchment:

I'm going to stick with around 3-4 tons of pressure. I don't see any reason to go any higher for now. The oil tastes damn good at <220F so I'm happy :D

EDIT:

10 tons at 76F doesn't do shit haha. Just a flat, flimsy, still moist and oily left over nug. Some stuck to the parchment when I was removing the nug (I'm assuming from the sticky oil haha).
CEF07162-B3A4-45D9-8A36-DC3871B0733B_zpssi7hhjj4.jpg

Nice! Did you ever end up determining an estimate on yields for your current set up? Not that yield is then be-all-end-all, but I am getting OZ for 230 that get me about 10-14, but 14 is a bit rare.

Provided a perfect world at 14% every squish throughout the OZ, that's be 3.9 out let's say. At that yield, I pay roughly 58-59 a gram. Your average gram of oil around here goes for 60 or more these days, so this would justify more investment.

However, if I have a decent likelihood of being below 14%, I'm paying more to squish than I am to get more traditional wax or shatter so it starts making a little less sense.

On the other hand, I am having decent luck making use of my chips so that's definitely an edge, but it's more of a novelty than anything. Average yield is key for me at the moment, but I only need a modest number I can achieve consistently to make it a done deal.

I definitely should look into @Derrrpp suggestion and JBWeld the heaters. If I can get a reliable efficient setup, I'd really like to submit some to the lab for testing as I doubt they'd really charge me for a one off here and there. Very interested to see in detail what's coming out.

poonman

Before press

After:

The parchment:

Just a guess ,
I'm thinking it's some kind of thermal condensation
left from the press buds . And it's left an imprint on
your plates . Notice it is Not the entire piece of parchment
that has thinned out , just 2 spots where the previous buds
were pressed .

I've had to clean my hair straightener plates with 99 % iso
after a few presses , to remove the leftover film . There is def.
some transfer of sorts thru or from the parchment paper .

ReggieB

@BoogerMan I think the plates are causing damage to the parchment, if you look at your parchment pics vs your plate pics there is a very distinct pattern in the middle of the nug spots that look incredibly similar to the finish on the plates, imho those plates need lapping, then polishing, then see how you get on.

Joel W.

Deplorable Basement Dweller
Accessory Maker
I think it's the 16,000 pounds of pressure (12,000 extra) messing with the paper. Polished blocks may help with the pattern left, but I don't think it is going to stop oil from being pushed through the paper at those pressures. My opinion anyways. ;)

It happens even with baby smooth, polished hair iron plates also, as previously stated by others here..

Last edited:

Monsoon

Nice! Did you ever end up determining an estimate on yields for your current set up? Not that yield is then be-all-end-all, but I am getting OZ for 230 that get me about 10-14, but 14 is a bit rare.

Provided a perfect world at 14% every squish throughout the OZ, that's be 3.9 out let's say. At that yield, I pay roughly 58-59 a gram. Your average gram of oil around here goes for 60 or more these days, so this would justify more investment.

However, if I have a decent likelihood of being below 14%, I'm paying more to squish than I am to get more traditional wax or shatter so it starts making a little less sense.
I'm getting 14-16% with QWET right now and with alcohol my cost is around $40 a gram now. Been seeing lots of people online get 20%+ yields depending on squish tech using the 10-20 ton presses. Hopefully BoogerMan has the same luck, those test presses look promising.

ReggieB

I think it's the 16,000 pounds of pressure messing with the paper. Polished blocks may help with the pattern left, but I don't think it is going to stop oil from being pushed through the paper at those pressures.

It happens even with baby smooth, polished hair iron plates also, as previously stated by others here..
I hadn't read that far back to be fair, point taken :)

ixtapa

@ReggieB Of course! Heat transfer! That explains the improved results with moisture!

Assuming some amount of heat is necessary to induce the flow of oils, imagine pressing bone dry material. Even once the air pockets have compacted away, the dry cellulose is still a poor conductor of heat. As a result, the oils will remain in a viscous state, and will thus be resistant to flow. At the other extreme, imagine material overly rich in water. Upon compression, the excess water pools and absorbs energy from the heating plate, again limiting heat transfer into the material and thus limiting flow.

But somewhere in between those extremes lies a moisture level that does not cause liquid to pool - this moisture level would most efficiently allow heat into the material, thereby reducing the viscosity of the oil and ultimately improving flow.

If this hypothesis is correct, then @BoogerMan should see improved performance by lapping his plates - or at least the same performance at lower temperatures. Heat transfer is all about surface area, and imperfections on a plate greatly reduce the contact surface area. If any of you have built computers/installed CPUs you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Thinking in terms of heat transfer opens up new avenues of thought: What if water was not the ideal thermal interface material??? Need to think more on that!

ReggieB

@ixtapa @Joel W. yup, that's what I was thinking with lapping, you're compressing the heck out of the parchment and parchment isn't stronger than the plates, at some point, it's going to stretch, possibly tear depending on what's underneath the parchment and how it moved during compression.

As soon as I saw the plates I thought of cpu coolers and heat transfer.

BoogerMan

e7djzq.jpg

seems like a butterfly?

boogerman can i see some of your disks u extracted?

Haha I love seeing the butterfly's.

Yeah I'll post some pics of the chips after I do some more presses tonight.

As others have said, I think the wrinkles in parchment is cause by the plates moving as they are getting squished together. I've never had my parchment look wrinkled after a press in the vise or H press with the CuNi plates, however it did happen a couple times when I had my hair straightener setup in my vise.

Nice work Boogerman!
It's fascinating to see how this is turning out.

You've probably already thought of this, but how about re-pressing your 75'F nug at progressively higher temps to determine the 'sweet spot' at your chosen pressure?

Yeah I'll be messing around with trying to find my sweet spot on the H press this weekend (calculating yields and such as well).

On the other hand, I am having decent luck making use of my chips so that's definitely an edge, but it's more of a novelty than anything. Average yield is key for me at the moment, but I only need a modest number I can achieve consistently to make it a done deal.

I definitely should look into @Derrrpp suggestion and JBWeld the heaters. If I can get a reliable efficient setup, I'd really like to submit some to the lab for testing as I doubt they'd really charge me for a one off here and there. Very interested to see in detail what's coming out.

I've gotten 10-20% yields with decent home grown.

The main factor people need to realize is the material going in is the most important.

If you are putting in some 30% thc nug that was hand trimmed, I'm sure you would get a 20%+ yield even with a hair straightener and clamp! Maybe even 25%+ with more pressure!

So if I do some tests tonight and report <20% yield, don't be discouraged. It is just the bud I am using :)

A little while back I made some BHO with a high CBD strain and got like a 11% yield. I squished the same bud in my vise press and got a 14% yield IIRC which was fucking awesome!

Even if you lose a couple % yield compared to QWISO or BHO, I still think rosin is better because it is tastier, quicker, healthier, and just a lot more fun to do IMO :D

Just a guess ,
I'm thinking it's some kind of thermal condensation
left from the press buds . And it's left an imprint on
your plates . Notice it is Not the entire piece of parchment
that has thinned out , just 2 spots where the previous buds
were pressed .

I've had to clean my hair straightener plates with 99 % iso
after a few presses , to remove the leftover film . There is def.
some transfer of sorts thru or from the parchment paper .

Thanks for the input man! Good to know :)

@BoogerMan I think the plates are causing damage to the parchment, if you look at your parchment pics vs your plate pics there is a very distinct pattern in the middle of the nug spots that look incredibly similar to the finish on the plates, imho those plates need lapping, then polishing, then see how you get on.

I wonder if the faces on your plates need some lapping like they do for cpu coolers?

I think it's the 16,000 pounds of pressure (12,000 extra) messing with the paper. Polished blocks may help with the pattern left, but I don't think it is going to stop oil from being pushed through the paper at those pressures. My opinion anyways. ;)

@ReggieB like @Joel W. said, I think it was just the pressure I was using (which was 20,000 lbs when I was doing 10 tons) and that was forcing some oil through the parchment. It definitely does the same thing with a hair straightener that has smooth plates like Joel stated.

I really think the next main goal is to find a better alternative to parchment and maybe start using SS plates to withstand higher pressures, but Joel said SS isn't the easiest to cut and drill (so labor cost will increase) so without breaking the bank, we may have to stick with CuNi for now.

I think @Monsoon posted a website selling SS plates for like $300 :uhoh:. My CuNi plates were 1/3 of that cost.

I'm getting 14-16% with QWET right now and with alcohol my cost is around $40 a gram now. Been seeing lots of people online get 20%+ yields depending on squish tech using the 10-20 ton presses. Hopefully BoogerMan has the same luck, those test presses look promising.

Yeah I seem to be getting yields that I expect (comparing to BHO with the same bud).

Again, anyone seeing the dudes on IG getting 20%+ yields means they are using some fire bud!

If my home grown is only 15% thc then a 20% yield isn't really possibly no matter what pressure or temp I use ya know? Haha.

Remember that starting material is probably the most important factor for yield. Then pressure, heat, moisture, etc. all start to become factors in how to get maximum yields with the material being used ;)

@ReggieB Of course! Heat transfer! That explains the improved results with moisture!

Assuming some amount of heat is necessary to induce the flow of oils, imagine pressing bone dry material. Even once the air pockets have compacted away, the dry cellulose is still a poor conductor of heat. As a result, the oils will remain in a viscous state, and will thus be resistant to flow. At the other extreme, imagine material overly rich in water. Upon compression, the excess water pools and absorbs energy from the heating plate, again limiting heat transfer into the material and thus limiting flow.

But somewhere in between those extremes lies a moisture level that does not cause liquid to pool - this moisture level would most efficiently allow heat into the material, thereby reducing the viscosity of the oil and ultimately improving flow.

If this hypothesis is correct, then @BoogerMan should see improved performance by lapping his plates - or at least the same performance at lower temperatures. Heat transfer is all about surface area, and imperfections on a plate greatly reduce the contact surface area. If any of you have built computers/installed CPUs you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Thinking in terms of heat transfer opens up new avenues of thought: What if water was not the ideal thermal interface material??? Need to think more on that!

Moisture is definitely important! Squishing bone dry bud does not work nearly as well.

Moisture seems to help the rosin flow away from the bud!

All my bud I press is at 64% humidity.

I'm going to get some humidity bags so play with higher humidity levels at some point but I honestly think any more than 65ish% will just result in more moisture in your oil (which will also increase yield slightly but it's a fake increase since moisture doesn't get us high haha).

I already get a little sizzle sometimes when I dab my rosin, so even 64% humidity leaves a little moisture in the oil. That's why I say I don't think anything above 65% is really needed.

Great to see this progress. Thanks for the notes @BoogerMan, and the pics and vids. @ixtapa I agree that there must be an optimal moisture level as well for the same reasons you stated (enough to facilitate heat transfer, but not too much to insulate).

Thanks boss! See my reply above that discusses humidity/moisture :D

Top Bottom