Ronda Rousey Comes Out Swinging In Defense of Weed

vapebuddy13

Your resident Super Hero
She's the bomb

http://www.maxim.com/entertainment/sports/article/ronda-rousey-weed-2015-9

"Ronda Rousey is smokin' mad about marijuana testing in her sport in the wake of the five-year suspension of UFC welterweight Nick Diaz, who tested positive for pot for a third time.

In an impassioned rant at the UFC 193 press conference in Melbourne Wednesday,Rousey said she was vehemently opposed to testing for marijuana, which she described as "an invasion of privacy" that "is only tested for political reasons." The UFC's reigning superstar also insisted that smoking weed has nothing to do with a fighter's performance in the Octagon.

Responding to a reporter's question about the hardships she endured early in her MMA career when she was dirt-poor and living out of her car, Rousey flipped the question to Diaz's pot-related suspension like the judo master that is.

"It really pales in comparison to how unfair it is that Nick [Diaz] got a five-year suspension," Rousey said. "I’m sorry, but it’s so not right for him to be suspended 5 years for marijuana. I’m against testing for weed at all. It’s not a performance enhancing drug. And it has nothing to do with competition. It’s only tested for political reasons.

"They say, It's only for your safety to keep you from hurting yourself.’ You know what, then why don’t they test us for all the other things that could possibly hurt us, that we could be under the influence of when we're out there.

"There’s NO reason that we should be tested for weed. It shouldn't be involved at all. Nick is a really close and dear friend of mine so of course I’m going to defend him. It’s so unfair!

"If one person tests for steroids, that could actually hurt a person, and the other person smokes a plant that makes him happy, and he gets suspended for five years! Whereas a guy who could hurt someone gets a slap on the wrist. It’s not fair! It’s not fair at all. I can’t believe its not being said more. And you know what, I think we should free Nick Diaz."

Turning to UFC boss Dana White, who was standing at her side, Ronda continued:

"It's not Dana’s decision either; he had nothing to do with it. I’m sure if he’d had the choice he would have given him a lot less. I don’t think marijuana should be a part of the conversation at all. I think it’s an invasion of privacy for them to test for it, and they have no right." Watch Rousey's full rant here:

Rousey's eruption came after The Nevada State Athletic Commission suspended Diaz for five years on Monday because of the third marijuana-related offense of his career.

"I'm pretty pissed," said Diaz after the hearing. "I got into this sport for this exact reason, being stuck in a room with people like that.

"I wanted to tell them what I think. I wanted to tell each and every one of them they're a bunch of dorks. Everybody who sees them or knows who they are should tell them that. I would if it weren't for my experts advising me to keep my mouth shut. I wanted to get up and say, 'Look. You guys are way the fuck out of line.' "

Diaz, who fights out of Stockton, California, tested positive for marijuana metabolites following a decision loss to Anderson Silva at UFC 183 on Jan. 31."

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
It seems like drug testing is rampant for everything. I don't agree with singling out cannabis but that's the rules. I live in the state of WA and cannabis is legal but many jobs require a clean drug test for employment. A job that you wouldn't even think that it would matter whether or not a person used cannabis, such as a desk job.

My husband has to take a drug test randomly every so often to keep his job, so he has chosen not to use cannabis. If my husband failed a drug test he would loose his job, he wouldn't get another chance. Years ago he used cannabis but when drug test were required he chose to quit.

These folks in sports know that drug tests are required, they also make really good money. I would think they knew the risks. It's too bad that cannabis has such a terrible reputation but they test for everything when you are in sports.

After 5 years that guy's career will probably be over, it was his third failed test.

Last edited:

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
I've posted this in another thread, but I don't think Cannabis will ever be legal on the federal level. Too much loss of control for the feds, if they legalize.

I'm betting many companies will restrict hiring based on positive test results long after all 50 states legalize as well.

Truly hope I'm wrong! :disgust:

woolspinner

It seems like drug testing is rampant for everything. I don't agree with singling out cannabis but that's the rules. I live in the state of WA and cannabis is legal but many jobs require a clean drug test for employment. A job that you wouldn't even think that it would matter whether or not a person used cannabis, such as a desk job.

My husband has to take a drug test randomly every so often to keep his job, so he has chosen not to use cannabis. If my husband failed a drug test he would loose his job, he wouldn't get another chance. Years ago he used cannabis but when drug test were required he chose to quit.

These folks in sports know that drug tests are required, they also make really good money. I would think they knew the risks. It's too bad that cannabis has such a terrible reputation but they test for everything when you are in sports.

After 5 years that guy's career will probably be over, it was his third failed test.
Until I found out that my company tests so they can get a reduced rate on their insurance, I did not understand why a software company should give a damn what I do in my off hours. Apprently, if they only hire "clean" employees, their health and liability insurance providers give them lower rates. Total bullshit because someone could be rampant alcoholic heading toward cirrhosis but be considered "clean".

Hashtag46&2

Trichome Technician
Nick , Nate (his Brother) and Rousey are 3 of my favorite athletes.

Nick and Nate both have MMJ Licenses in California, I'm assuming his legal team will fight this suspension.

The Diaz Bros are World Class Athletes that run marathons and decathlons for fun. They both speak their mind, and hold nothing back.

SOOO many MMA and other athletes alike test positive for performance enhancing drugs, trying to gain a physical edge on their opposition, essentially cheating, and penalized with minimal fines and slaps on the wrist.

Why aren't they tested for alcohol? A) Their largest endorsements come from alcohol.

Suspending one of the most entertaining fighters for 5 years for testing positive for legal cannabis use is absolutely absurd.

Especially having Joe Rogan, the very best MMA Analyst/Commentators (basically the face of the UFC) being very open regarding his use of Cannabis. (Also has a Black Belt in multiple facets of Mixed Martial Arts and a hell of an athlete himself)

It's simply PC at its finest .. The fact that Cannabis is still listed as a Schedule 1 substance is the reasoning behind this type of hypocrisy.

If Ronda wasn't so damn hot, I'd be boycotting the UFC, :rofl:and I'm one of those guys that orders 90% of their PPV events.

Last edited:

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
@vapebuddy13 - excellent thread! @Hashtag46&2 - Couldn't agree more. I had a great amount of respect and admiration for Ronda before this but this took it to a whole new level.....

Ronda is a rare breed for sure. Amazing athlete, intelligent, outspoken, strong willed and last but not least....very easy on the eyes. I love MMA and the martial arts in general but what I love most about Ronda's participation isn't her talent...it's how she is dominating a male oriented sport and blazing the trail for other young women to think their own way and succeed while doing it.

My favorite Ronda story line was when she described sex before a match as being good for women because it increases testosterone levels. I have to agree...hearing her say that definitely increased my levels.:rofl:

h3rbalist

I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too
Even snowboarding legend Ross Rebagliati got his Olympic gold medal back.

Everyone kn
ows it's not flipping performance enhancing.

I know little about this sport. (Although a McGregor fan lol) is there a chance someone within has a vendetta against this guy?

Didn't Jon Jones just get banned for a road traffic incident?

All seems a bit iffy to me.
:shrug:

Last edited:

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Even snowboarding legend Ross Rebagliati got his Olympic gold medal back.

Everyone kn
ows it's not flipping performance enhancing.

I know little about this sport. (Although a McGregor fan lol) is there a chance someone within has a vendetta against this guy?

Didn't Jon Jones just get banned for a road traffic incident?

All seems a bit iffy ot me.
:shrug:

Jones got stripped and suspended for a hit and run and I think a previous cocaine issue.

The Nevada State Athletic Commission is the bad actor here. Diaz is guilty of a lethal mix of MJ and disrespect for the NSAC and I have a feeling the larger part behind the scenes is the 'perceived' disrespect. This was Diaz's 3rd time getting caught.

There are several fighters backing up Diaz and saying they will refuse to fight in Nevada.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Olympian Michael Phelps was caught smoking pot (on camera) and all was forgiven. It wasn't like he failed a drug test he just got caught with his hands in the cookies jar. He was being stupid and careless. Not saying he should or shouldn't be using cannabis just he was being careless.

Top Bottom