Road trip- 19 states in 2 weeks: Iolite or MFLB?

eboy

Uh, I'm just gonna go find a cash machine.
the mission: 2 week road trip photographing america- NYC to Louisiana and back

the luck: I have a driver who will do all the miles

the choices: MFLB or Iolite

question #1: which would you take? (stealthiosity and reliablity are key issues for me)

question #2: grind it all (around 7 gr.) before leaving or grind as I go?

my thoughts:
1) Iolite doesn't have that 'built in a prison wood-shop' look, BUT MFLB with power adapter in car could be so nice

2) Iolite needs a few cans of butane, extra screens, etc... but MFLB needs batteries (which i already have) IF my (off-brand*) MFLB car adapter doesn't work

* = car we are taking isnt mine, so cant check car adapter till day of departure.

eboy,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Just me but I would take BOTH :D ROFL!!

If I HAD to choose ONE.... Man, I think I'd go with the LB as there is less chance of vape troubles but the Iolite is great for road trips or boat trips. I'm OCD so I take 2or3 Iolites with me when I road/boat trip...backups for my backups lol.

Lo,

eboy

Lo said:
Just me but I would take BOTH :D ROFL!!

If I HAD to choose ONE.... Man, I think I'd go with the LB as there is less chance of vape troubles but the Iolite is great for road trips or boat trips. I'm OCD so I take 2or3 Iolites with me when I road/boat trip...backups for my backups lol.

in a perfect world i would too!
just....tryna keep off of a chain gang here (actually, more there than here).
stealthnicity is key!

eboy,

eboy

aesthyrian said:
MFLB w/ PA

thanks for your quick response!
as the MFLB crew were sold out of the car apapter, i got mine from
aromazap. i sure hope it works, but i have plenty of 2700's just in case.

oh yeah- what about grinding? do it all before or as i go? (regarding stealthiosity)

eboy,

Purple-Days

I'm more interested in the trip. I used to lug around an old medium format and ancient GE light meter, both still work and I have them and a sturdy and simple Nikon with several lenses for each. They have been to most of the states.

Film or digital doesn't matter, best of luck with weather and all. Take two vapes is good juju, same reason you are taking two or more cameras. One of each seems reasonable advice.

Give us a hint of where you are going, there are lots of folks here who might steer you to something the guidebooks might miss. And what season are you going?

I'm jealous :cool:

Grinders are dirty, stealth??? Grind ahead and put in a container you can stash or dispose of quickly.

Purple-Days,

eboy

hey Purple D,

Thanks for your speedy reply!

Mid March- April 1st or so. NYC to southeast Georgia, over to the Mississippi Delta (Clarksdale, Ms) then west to Louisiana. I am looking for vacant buildings, junked cars and ghost towns/cities.

I shoot Nikon as well- have been since 1971. if you'd like to see my stuff, you can check out my site (I think you can click on it on the left in the box by my name)

eboy,

steiner666

Serial vapist
I personally would just order a spare set of batts with the LB and 4 a day should be plenty. I'm guessing you will be staying at hotels at night, so just charge there and you're good for about a dozen trenches the following day. IMO anything more isn't necessary, because you shouldnt even be going through 2 a day more than likely, unless your herb is poo or your tolerance is huge. Only other thing you want to make sure you bring is a nice 2 piece metal teeth grinder, or as PD said, pre-ground, powdery fine bud.

steiner666,

eboy

steiner666 said:
I personally would just order a spare set of batts with the LB and 4 a day should be plenty. I'm guessing you will be staying at hotels at night, so just charge there and you're good for about a dozen trenches the following day. IMO anything more isn't necessary, because you shouldnt even be going through 2 a day more than likely, unless your herb is poo or your tolerance is huge. Only other thing you want to make sure you bring is a nice 2 piece metal teeth grinder, or as PD said, pre-ground, powdery fine bud.

thanks for replying!
i have 8 powerex 2700's and a maha c-9000 charger, so i should be fine but.....
no car/power adapter? i havent used a battery since i got my PA 3 weeks ago but
i guess regarding stealthiosity you are leaning towards battery power?

eboy,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
eboy said:
aesthyrian said:
MFLB w/ PA

oh yeah- what about grinding? do it all before or as i go? (regarding stealthiosity)

I believe the car adapter from Zapville will work with the MFLB power adapter, I remember reading this in the MFLB thread.

As for grinding, yeah definitely do it before hand. Take as little paraphernalia with you as possible, no reason to get busted with a grinder when you really don't need it. Just keep a nice sized container with herb ground up nicely for the mflb. This will save you so much time and hassle, as will be easy to conceal and hide in case of any emergencies.

I really do this the MFLB with the PA is the ultimate car vape, and I can't wait to test that claim out this April. I hope your trip goes well, nothing beats a nice, long, heavily medicated road trip with good company.

aesthyrian,

Revvy

I took the MFLB with me to Texas from California and back last Christmas. Along with four 2700s, the two batteries that it came with, and a power inverter for the charger. The setup worked very well with charge times being trivial compared to use time.

I'd recommend pregrinding. I ground up a gram before leaving but that ran out sometime during the second day. After that, vaping became a much more arduous process.

Revvy,

GreenLeaf

Magic Flight Launch box FTW.

Take some extra batteries, the battery charger, and get the power adapter for when you stop in hotels/motels.

Grind the material beforehand but you should be doing this anyway with the MFLB.

At least you're not vaping and driving.

GreenLeaf,

Purple-Days

I liked some of that. A bit fast pace, mod mode presentation, I understand. I need some time to examine a composition. Hope you find a way to share a pic or two , to study, there is a Picture Thread in the Vapor Lounge. Some are by the poster some are just interesting posts. Please contribute. And post pictures here too, please. :2c: :cool:

OK plotted on my map and I will give a couple of suggestions after review.

Purple-Days,

eboy

Purple-Days said:
I liked some of that. A bit fast pace, mod mode presentation, I understand. I need some time to examine a composition. Hope you find a way to share a pic or two , to study, there is a Picture Thread in the Vapor Lounge. Some are by the poster some are just interesting posts. Please contribute. And post pictures here too, please. :2c: :cool:

OK plotted on my map and I will give a couple of suggestions after review.
fcpic2.jpg

eboy,

eboy

aesthyrian said:
eboy said:
aesthyrian said:
MFLB w/ PA

I believe the car adapter from Zapville will work with the MFLB power adapter, I remember reading this in the MFLB thread.

As for grinding, yeah definitely do it before hand. Take as little paraphernalia with you as possible, no reason to get busted with a grinder when you really don't need it. Just keep a nice sized container with herb ground up nicely for the mflb. This will save you so much time and hassle, as will be easy to conceal and hide in case of any emergencies.

I really do this the MFLB with the PA is the ultimate car vape, and I can't wait to test that claim out this April. I hope your trip goes well, nothing beats a nice, long, heavily medicated road trip with good company.

thanks! i got the car adapter from aromazap. i read about it in the MFLB thread. hope it works!
i am taking to heart your advice about extraneous paraphernalia and pre-grinding.
your help is much appreciated.

eboy,
eboy said:
hey Purple D,

Mid March- April 1st or so. NYC to southeast Georgia, over to the Mississippi Delta (Clarksdale, Ms) then west to Louisiana. I am looking for vacant buildings, junked cars and ghost towns/cities.

I shoot Nikon as well- have been since 1971. if you'd like to see my stuff, you can check out my site (I think you can click on it on the left in the box by my name)

Stop by Morgan freeman's ground zero blues club, its the shit my man. Your gonna love the delta so much bro, lots of beautiful scenery, nice stuff. You ought to get some nice shots in down south. Good luck! O yea, I got the mgflb and it works great, just make sure you getta good stock on batteries.

PanicFreak,

eboy

PanicFreak said:
eboy said:
hey Purple D,

Stop by Morgan freeman's ground zero blues club, its the shit my man. Your gonna love the delta so much bro, lots of beautiful scenery, nice stuff. You ought to get some nice shots in down south. Good luck! O yea, I got the mgflb and it works great, just make sure you getta good stock on batteries.

thanks i shall look for ground zero. was in clarksdale last spring. hired some guitar player i met at the Shack Inn (I think- the place with the shacks for rent) to show me around. some fotos from the delta are on my site if you'd like to have a look. thanks for the help!

eboy,

gettin lifted

psychonaut
do you really need a few cans of butane for your iolite? my norm sessions with the iolite is about 20-30 mins depending on bowl pack. get about 4 or so good sessions from a filling. small can of vector would last me like a month if the iolite was the only vape i used.

also be careful and don't forget to share you photography with everyone when you get back.

happy trails.

gettin lifted,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
mflb with pa for sure, iolites are too unreliable imo. Agree with Purple D, grind before hand for sure and take along the kief as well.

DeepFried,

eboy

gettin lifted said:
do you really need a few cans of butane for your iolite? my norm sessions with the iolite is about 20-30 mins depending on bowl pack. get about 4 or so good sessions from a filling. small can of vector would last me like a month if the iolite was the only vape i used.

also be careful and don't forget to share you photography with everyone when you get back.

happy trails.

of course you are right, but on road trips i like to have backups of everything!

eboy,

eboy

DeepFried said:
mflb with pa for sure, iolites are too unreliable imo. Agree with Purple D, grind before hand for sure and take along the kief as well.

yes and thank you.
your help is appreciated.
and that should mean a lot as i am kinda
important around here now. yes, it is true: i have achieved
double digit post numbers.
look out, world.

eboy,

eboy

herbgirl said:
Centralia PA may be worth a look for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralia,_Pennsylvania

the town was abandoned after a mine fire that is still burning from what i understand. Never been there but have seen friend's pics.

hi and thank you VERY MUCH for your help.
i shall certainly check this town out, if not on this trip then definitely
the next!

eboy,
Top Bottom