RIP Carroll Shelby

lwien

http://money.cnn.com/2012/05/11/autos/carroll-shelby-obit/index.htm?hpt=hp_c2

Fond memories. Back in 1966, I had a friend who's father owned a 427 AC Cobra. His father went on vacation so I talked him into taking it out for a bit of a test drive (a la Ferris Bueller..lol). Anywy, I will never forget it. Seems like yesterday. It was about 1 in the morning and we took it out on the Santa Monica Freeway. No traffic. I got behind the wheel. Took it up to 120mph. At 120mph, in fourth gear, I took my foot off of the accelerator and then floored it. The fucking rear tires broke loose. Un-fucking-believeable. Pinned us to the back of our seats as if I floored it in first gear at 20. Scared the living daylights out of me. Major adrenaline rush. LOVED that car. Looked exactly like this:

tranceporter

The Cloud Conductor
From one enthusiast to another. R.I.P Carroll Shelby. Your legacy will continue on and you will be missed.

tranceporter,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Hate mustangs, love your story :clap:

Breaking the tires loose at 120 is impressive as hell, especially on a car made over 40 years ago!

darkrom,

lwien

I agree! A car needs a tremendous amount of power to spin the tires in 4th gear.

HUMUNGOUS amount of torque combined with an all aluminum body did the trick. When it happened, I was soooo surprised, my eyes must have bugged outta my forehead. Kinda like this >> :o

When I pulled off the offramp and got out so that my friend could drive her home, my legs were shaking. It felt like I was falling into a never ending pit of speed.

lwien,
Top Bottom