Rio Portable Dab Rig by Stache Products

Evacipate

High guys! Been lurking for many years on and off as a busy GM and finally have some time to register and participate now that I'm not working due to pandemic.

This thread has been immensely helpful in determining my next cannapparatus! Thank you everyone for all this info!

I've been using cannabis since I was 13 due to epilepsy and ADHD. I was a major blunt guy until 2009 when I smoked my last one after I decided to purchase my first vaporizer, a Silver Surfer, which lasted until 2016. I loved it so much I just bought a cheap factory markdown SSV from 7th floor ($160 total due to maybe a microscopic scratch I couldn't see, still works great nearly 5 years later). I also bought an Iolite (I know, it was terrible....) in 2012 and a Pax in 2013 which I used for about a year and eventually bought a S&B Mighty last year. I liked both at first but over time, less and less so. I haven't used my Mighty in months as I've been growing away from flower and preferring concentrate to ease my epilepsy, ADHD, PTSD, and other afflictions.

In 2015, I went through a big concentrate phase but with terrible and wasteful wax atomizers and expensive carts, eventually returning to primarily flower for the next couple years. Then in 2017, I used concentrates almost exclusively again after I invested in an enail from High5 and which gave me good relief but also anxiety because of the relative danger it posed (compared to SSV or PAX). It lasted about a year before it died and then I went back to flower for the last two years again. For the past couple months, I've been using carts and a pretty basic wax pen from Elev8 (SSV company) and while it is ok in a pinch, it's really annoying to try to use as a primary device.

The learning curve on pretty much any device has never been much of an issue (maybe the Iolite lol) but I always felt like I wasn't doing something right with the enail; it felt wasteful. Though it always seemed to work well enough it was just an anxiety inducing ordeal, especially if I fell asleep with it on, I'd wake up in a panic... Edibles are effective but the delay, offset and the next day linger effect are cons that concentrates don't seem to have yet remain similarly medicinally effective.

My biggest issue with concentrates is efficiency and ease of use. It can be such an inconsistent, sticky, messy, hot and dangerous ordeal which is exactly the sort of environment I wish to avoid when reducing my reaction time and getting high. I am also the kind of user where I like to take a nice moderate first hit and then sustain a high over time with smaller hits, maybe even over the course of a few hours vs just doing one massive glob and putting everything away.

Therefore, most non-battery powered electronic solutions have always been lacking because I don't want to, for instance, leave an enail on for hours and hours, especially just due to the relative danger when needing to leave it unoccupied or having to constantly turn it off and wait for it to heat up when you turn it back on.

This lead me here as it seems like the RiO might be the near perfect solution, though I will admit holding a large butane tank to my face is a little scary, I also know how well regulated such devices and valves can be so I'm not really worried. Having cold start dabs with fast, on-demand heating and minimal interaction in a self contained unit just seems perfect.

I ordered one from caliconnected today for $165. Anybody done business with them before?

Thank you, Robert Paulson for this information! (nice FC ref handle btw!)

Great company to order from. Great customer service.

Thank you, Kins! It's my birthday tomorrow so yesterday, as a gift to myself, I originally had the $295 holiday bundle from Stache's website ready to order (though I admittedly wasn't "thrilled" with the value as I was trying to pay less than the $250 asking price), then when they updated their website with the BF deal today, I switched to PIU for $225 for a more basic offering as I know they're reputable. I literally had my CC info entered into PIU form and ready to hit confirm when I decided to re-watch RiO youtube/vimeo videos and re-read this entire thread again and saw your response to Robert. Had I not seen that, I would have thought it was a "too good to be true" scam and just went with PIU.

Pulled the trigger earlier today on the Teal version and the age verification process for Cali Connected was a little strange, but I'm guessing that is because it's an incendiary device? Either way, thank you for your vouching as you saved me $60 (which, if I end up liking the RiO as much as I anticipate, I'll invest towards a round bottom banger and hopefully a teal frosted glass bubbler when back in stock).

You guys all rock! Big shout out to FlyingLow for all his contributions to this thread! Happy holidays everyone! Stay up!

LabPong

There is a 50% off deal over at dabnation.com

They show all pics of the makeover unit, but do not state that in the listing. I found this and had a few people order it without knowing for sure it's a make over.....but if you want to contact them to make sure.....do it fast.

RIO DAB RIG AT 50% OFF

That price is ridiculous. From the picture it looks like its the rio makeover. Wish I could have got a flat and round banger before they sold out. My rio shipped yesterday from caliconnected. This deal could have saved me 40 more on my rio.

Robert Paulson,
Reactions: LesPlenty

Evacipate

Wow that is a really tempting deal and I even started to order after seeing that Cali Connected is really cool with returns and cancellations but then I looked at DabNation's policy and it states this:

Refund policy​

All Sales Are Final.
Dab Nation does not offer Exchanges, Refunds, or Returns of any kind on any items offered for sale in our stores.
If there are any shipping issues with your order, please contact support@dabnation.com

By comparison this is from Cali Connected:

CaliConnected Return Policy 📫

If something in your order arrives broken, damaged, defective, or perhaps you just changed your mind, we are always happy to accept returns and accommodate exchanges. We cover any associated shipping costs with your return, and accept all unused & unopened products for up to 10 days after the delivery date of your order.

Changed your Mind?

We get it, sometimes you simply change your mind. If you’re having second thoughts and your item hasn’t shipped, we will provide a full refund for a prompt cancellation.
If you changed your mind while the product is in transit, please let us know and accept the package. In order to expedite your refund, please do not “return to sender” or “refuse upon delivery,” as this will send it back to the fulfillment center. We cover all shipping costs on returns and provide a label that mails your product back to our customer care team so that the item(s) can be properly inspected before restocking on our website.

IDK guys now I'm thinking that extra $40 is well spent for the CS? Especially when $165 is a great deal already...

LabPong

Wow that is a really tempting deal and I even started to order after seeing that Cali Connected is really cool with returns and cancellations but then I looked at DabNation's policy and it states this:

By comparison this is from Cali Connected:

IDK guys now I'm thinking that extra $40 is well spent for the CS? Especially when $165 is a great deal already...
exactly

DVision44

That price is ridiculous. From the picture it looks like its the rio makeover. Wish I could have got a flat and round banger before they sold out. My rio shipped yesterday from caliconnected. This deal could have saved me 40 more on my rio.
It's definitely the makeover... the listing states it has the showerhead perc. Great price!

Last edited:
DVision44,

Evacipate

I'm even happier I stuck with CaliConnected now since I sent them an email on Saturday inquiring if it was possible to adjust my order after having seen the better deal on DN. They're refreshingly closed over the weekend but my RiO thankfully shipped yesterday and they responded saying that while they couldn't quite match DN's price, they are including a $20 gift card to "meet halfway" so I'm pretty content. Their CS was very nice and even followed up to my reply shortly after despite dealing with tons of holiday volume. Good luck to everyone getting an affordable RiO from a great vendor!

Nice, they seem like a great company! I saw that price match on their website and I thought about sending them an email about the DN 50% off. Never did though. I'm still waiting for my Rio to show up. Shipped on the 27th Should have been here yesterday. No tracking updates since 28th. It says arriving late!

caseball2051

So I got my rio in the mail this AM and plan to use it later tonight after all my work is fine. But I've never taken a proper dab so this will be my first. This will also be my first cold start dab. My only other concentrate experience is with the boundless terp pens which is a different experience.

So can someone just confirm that my strategy for trying this unit out tonight is right?

1. Load my concentrate and then turn the flame on low-medium not too high.

2. Then watch the material until it starts to bubble and boil.

3. Wait a second for the vapor to start forming.

4. Turn off torch, inhale.

5. Repeat as necessary then swab out the banger.

Anything I'm missing here? Any other nuances or anything I should concern myself with? Thanks in advance!

shopdognyc

For those dabbing, is there an optimal color you want to stay with versus colors you don't going towards combustinng?

shopdognyc,
Reactions: Evacipate

Kins

I think my stock banger is shot. It fogs up when I heat it and I can't seem to get a decent hit anymore from it.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I replace when they get fogged/chazzed, but admit it has not happened in over a year of regular use .

Do you ever torch your banger red hot? Either to clean or during use? Proper cleaning is a must.

FlyingLow,
Reactions: LesPlenty

Kins

I replace when they get fogged/chazzed, but admit it has not happened in over a year of regular use .

Do you ever torch your banger red hot? Either to clean or during use? Proper cleaning is a must.

Yeah I did torch it to clean it before. At first I was using q-tips dipped in iso. I've been out of iso for a while though and just using dry q-tips.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I find a ton of bangers have aligned well with my Makeover unit, so don't feel obligated to get a Stashe.

That said, I do like the Stashe round bottom and my 710coil bangers the most. I go back and forth between the round bottom and my 710 25mm deep dish.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Candice at Dabnation is trying to help me buy a RIO from them, Australia is not on their dropdown list of countries (nearly every other country is on it). I will eventually get it for US$125 and she said it will be free post??? I find that hard to believe but if true the Rio will cost me less than what DrDabber wanted for postage alone for a Switch.
Looking forward to utilizing all the old bangers collecting dust since I got my Halo.

Evacipate

So my RiO somehow arrived early on Thursday, at like 10 am the earliest I think USPS mail has ever been delivered here haha. It all came looking great (I LOVE the pearlescent teal!), the quartz has a tiny bubble and small hair line in it towards the top but otherwise solid and great position over the torch, damn near 100% centered. The tank was empty but made a few small hissing sounds when I bled it just before filling with Vector I purchased at the local headshop and letting rest 10 minutes. First ignition and every ignition since has been flawless and oddly satisfying. The torch performs so well, it just blasts that poor banger so quickly. Hits like quite a little beast and so much more satisfying than battery limited solutions. I'm really not used to such hits with little wax pens and carts and even an enail years ago. I think the last and only time I had a true torch based dab was when I attended Cannabis Cup in CO back in 2014 and I did like 30 of them in one day since everywhere you walked they were just like "Dabs! Get your dabs here, free dabs!". I'm getting used to it fast though.

The banger is pretty easy to use for myself being kind of a novice (on my High5 enail a few years ago I did have a couple quartz bangers but eventually had to use inferior imo titanium since my roommate who also used the rig was a bit clumsy and kept breaking the quartz so it never lasted more than a week to retain much residue). However, as you can see in the 3rd picture below, I'm already having some buildup on the bottom despite thoroughly using a Q-tip after was has been 5 dabs so far. I'll probably just do an ISO soak now that for the first time in 6+ months I was able to buy 91% ISO.

Really happy with CaliConnect's service and BF deal; $165 flat and arrival in less than a week during immense holiday strain on so many seems like a great price for entry into such an effective experience. I wasn't able to find any gift card as promised, or even an invoice or anything other than the RiO itself in the package but that's not a biggie. I'm sure it's due to all the holiday volume and that they'll clear it up with a quick email.

Hope everyone is enjoying their new toys as much as myself!

ARgajcu.jpg
YRApUlw.jpg
wnj6wNK.jpg

Snivac

I find a ton of bangers have aligned well with my Makeover unit, so don't feel obligated to get a Stashe.

That said, I do like the Stashe round bottom and my 710coil bangers the most. I go back and forth between the round bottom and my 710 25mm deep dish.
I’ve been wanting to get a new banger for my Rio. I’ve been worried about finding one that would fit properly. Any tricks to finding ones that fit or is it mostly luck? I’ve also been looking for a spinner cap. Do you still use the standard carb cap? Thanks!

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I’ve been wanting to get a new banger for my Rio. I’ve been worried about finding one that would fit properly. Any tricks to finding ones that fit or is it mostly luck? I’ve also been looking for a spinner cap. Do you still use the standard carb cap? Thanks!

If you have an original unit, most all will fit and be close to centered. The real challenge with using non-Stash bangers on the original was there can be too little room between the torch and the bottom of the nail.

With my Makeover unit, everything I have tried fits and works well- even deep dish. I have an Evan Shore banger coming this week and look forward to seeing if the high dollar bangers line up as well as others I have tried.

Snivac

If you have an original unit, most all will fit and be close to centered. The real challenge with using non-Stash bangers on the original was there can be too little room between the torch and the bottom of the nail.

With my Makeover unit, everything I have tried fits and works well- even deep dish. I have an Evan Shore banger coming this week and look forward to seeing if the high dollar bangers line up as well as others I have tried.
Thanks! I’ve got the makeover so I’m glad to hear it shouldn’t be much of an issue. I’m thinking of trying a Bears Quartz because they seem rather inexpensive and well liked. Do you still use the stock carb cap? I’ve thought about adding a few terp pearls and a spinning cap

Top Bottom