Retail states: how's the weed?

panasonic

I'm finding better cured stuff. I've picked my preferred brands, and the product is consistently good.

Label reading has replaced "grower stories"... and I like it better. I'm getting a clearer idea of what strains I really do like, as in the "good old days" the weed was inconsistent.

A good dry/cure takes 6-8 weeks from harvest. I do prefer better handled stuff. Hate the packaging.

I have also seen quality go up in the last few months as more growers come online. Up until this fall I was not able to walk into a shop, pick a random product without looking at it off the shelf, and be satisfied. Now I can do this at a small number of stores.

I do think it will get better over time, but I'm not sure prices will drop. That depends on many factors.

Beer prices didn't drop with microbrews either

thisperson

Ruler of all things person
I live in So Cal and I mostly don't go to the shops. I shop around and get from growers or processors directly when possible.

Like my next purchase, it'll be a half oz of some first run stuff for 200, usually comes out blonde and shattery. So that comes out to 14.28 per gram at 14 grams. The only pre-requisite I made was that it be a sativa dominant hybrid this time.

The downside I really see to what we have here is that there is no secure knowledge about the sourced product, as someone earlier pointed out.

I do like that of WA. Label and test everything!

panasonic

The downside I really see to what we have here is that there is no secure knowledge about the sourced product, as someone earlier pointed out.

I do like that of WA. Label and test everything!

I got bad news for you bud. WA lab results are third party and not QC'd by anyone. There is no step in the chain to prevent anyone from falsifying lab results and in fact, several of the labs have never failed a sample....if you were a grower, and one lab said your product was 25% THC, and the other 19%, which result would you submit?

Last edited:

sanfranciscosadhu

In San Francisco I go to a dispensary where all the product is lab tested, so that it's labeled with both THC and CBD percentages. As I use small amounts at one time, I love to have the immense variety. Also happy to see that a lot of outdoor grown strains have become available and popular once again.

sanfranciscosadhu,

Krazy

Update for NM; currently medical.

Picked up 3 separate 1g samples today just to try out new strains. Chaos Kush, Sinmint Cookies, and Iforget. Prices at the warehouse style dispensary favored by vets currently average $9g; $11g for THC powerhouses. Vet discount takes of a further 10%. Quality is consistently Kick ass.

Other places run a bit higher as they have decor but even the priciest tops out at $11.50g.

seaofgreens

My Mind Is Free
Luckily in CO, we don't have as much restriction around being able to open the jar, take a look at the buds, smell the terpene profile etc. so that is what I take advantage of.

One thing I like doing (to the annoyance of bad budtenders anyways) is ask them to pull all the jars I am interested in, sometimes all of them out and let me check them out individually. If I don't like what I am seeing, I just shake their hand and leave. I only treat myself 2 or 3 times a year though, so perhaps etiquette is different for regulars?

I have been in shops though, where all the product looks absolutely disgusting, even years after retail availability. (nearest example to me is a place called 3D Cannabis in Salida. Avoid that place if you are passing through.) This is why you should always be willing to walk away. Always someone better if you don't like what you see. As time and competition goes on, things get better, medical or recreational.

One thing that people seem to confuse is that just because marijuana can survive many conditions, just as a "weed," doesn't mean it is easy to get greatness from. It takes love, passion, knowledge and experience. People figure this out in all medical/retail markets, but it takes the time you would expect to make it happen.

Hang in there if you don't feel your markets options are up to par, demand will make it so eventually. Quality is self-evident in marijuana after all. :)

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
In WA state you also need to be careful you aren't getting weed that has been packaged and on the shelf or left in boxes for many months. I've gotten some pretty dry weed until I started checking in the beginning for harvest dates. Nothing wrong with dry weed if you know what you are getting and are getting it at a discount.

I question the cannabinol levels. I would like a close monitor watching over that stage in particular. Often the higher THC or CBD levels are more expensive. Different companies charge different amounts for the same product and that's OK.

With the childproof packaging, are they afraid a baby is going to eat the cannabis? I guess you would know if your child got in your stash with the sealing of jars and packages.

I understand the childproof packaging for edibles. For sure you wouldn't want a baby, child or an animal to eat it. A dog could tear up a package probably easily.

I've found a couple of awesome shops. There are some shops that I won't go back to because of ambiance, customer service and products or lack of. Still keeping track of the better cannabis companies / brands that I look for. Willies Reserve is always $14 a gram. It's the name is why it's so expensive. I've only seen Sativas.
There are so many strains and new names to choose and that's really an excellent place to be.

The states are making a lot of regulations attached to cannabis so the Feds won't mess with them, is what I understand. Hopefully with the new administration things will continue to advance in the various states so they can get their cannabis system up and running.

Last edited:

Enchantre

Oil Painter
I'm now able to get Canna-Vita's dabbable and regular RSO for $22-27 a gram (slightly less, as I have "the card") at our favorite place, Elevations which is owned by a local Indigenous tribe! All the taxes ARE KEPT BY THE TRIBE!

Okay, that felt good. whew. :)

Anyway, Canna-Vita is a good brand (I've known some of them for a few years now).
I also really like Wild Bill's Kick-Ass Buds shatter. I get the basic grower's run, for about $20 a gram. It has test results on it around 69 - 72 percent, which is decent enough for my usages.

For sheer quality of buds, and incredible concentrates, anything by Rogue Raven Farms. I get my Lambsbread from them. It's treat time, though.

Elements, a brand name of Green Freedom, LLC, has Really Fucking Amazing concentrates. Beyond amazing.
My current favorite is something called Ghost Train Haze. OMFG. Sativa Heaven. I love it. I would marry it. Don't tell my hubby. That runs pretty spendy. I'm seeing more "half gram" offerings for what I consider full gram price, like currently, Elevations has some stuff that's $33 a HALF gram. ouch.

Anyway, we found a gem of a place, with truly quality product available, and it benefits NATIVES! :)

Win-FUCKING-win!!

Top Bottom