Remove combustion scent/taste from wood stem?

virtualpurple

Anyone know of a safe way to do it without damaging the precious wood? I accidentally combusted while using a wooden stem made from a friend and I'm not really sure how to go about fixing this. I wiped it down with iso and then wiped down again with water but that didn't really seem to help at all.

My only experience in removing the scent of combustion has been with glass and was done with either iso or PBW.

Anyone have any thoughts?

virtualpurple,

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
Hydrogen peroxide will probably have a bleaching effect on the wood.

Some things to try.

1) let it sit in a bag of baking soda, covered for a week. You'll be surprised what baking soda can do by way of smells.

2) ground coffee, same method as above, but masks smell rather than leaches it out.

3) activated charcoal, use same as baking soda.

Not necessarily in that order. ;)

virtualpurple

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I will check these out!

Is activated charcoal something that can be picked up from a convenience store or hardware store? The only places I've seen it before is in supplement aisles or at work in the ER (We commonly give it to drug overdose patients, but it is mixed with sorbital (which makes you shit your brains out). I doubt the sorbital would have any effect on the wood or the user, but I dunno if it would impart some odor of its own).

@DDave have you checked out the Apollo vape yet? I'd love to see some sort of DDave mod for it and a few of us over there are experimenting often with ways to make the chamber smaller for smaller loads and denser vapor.

virtualpurple,
Reactions: DDave

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I will check these out!

Is activated charcoal something that can be picked up from a convenience store or hardware store? The only places I've seen it before is in supplement aisles or at work in the ER (We commonly give it to drug overdose patients, but it is mixed with sorbital (which makes you shit your brains out). I doubt the sorbital would have any effect on the wood or the user, but I dunno if it would impart some odor of its own).

@DDave have you checked out the Apollo vape yet? I'd love to see some sort of DDave mod for it and a few of us over there are experimenting often with ways to make the chamber smaller for smaller loads and denser vapor.

Activated charcoal can be obtained from any aquarium store, or less expensively on amazon. It's used in fish filters.

Re Venus, What kind of population are we talking about? This is a newer vape?

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Its happened to me on several of my eds (shit happens) and IMO the best thing to do after a thorough cleaning, is simply vape more. the cleaning never really takes the stink of combustion away, but loads and loads of loads will eventually bring it back around;)

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
I would say covering it with bicarbonate/baking soda for a week & then a quick water rinse & dry will sort it. Should be able to get it at any grocery store too.

virtualpurple

Activated charcoal can be obtained from any aquarium store, or less expensively on amazon. It's used in fish filters.

Re Venus, What kind of population are we talking about? This is a newer vape?

The demand probably isn't as strong as what you currently supply. It is kind of a new kid on the block. Here is a link to the thread if you want to have a look at it.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-venus-apollo.17905/

It seems to be growing a pretty decent fanbase, and the current owners are all pretty attached. It's a Halogen powered portable, pretty nifty. However, alot of us would like to enhance the convection properties of the vaporizer and utilize a smaller

jojo monkey

Manufacturer
Hydrogen peroxide will probably have a bleaching effect on the wood.

I can find posts where people are using h202 to get the piss smell out of wood from a dog and to clear up dark stains, but can't find anything about bleaching wood. Unless you mean where people use 35% peroxide and bleach to lighten wood. I am talking the shit that is mostly water and 3% peroxide that you put on a cut. Maybe if you soak it for a long ass time?

jojo monkey,
Reactions: DDave

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
The demand probably isn't as strong as what you currently supply. It is kind of a new kid on the block. Here is a link to the thread if you want to have a look at it.

It seems to be growing a pretty decent fanbase, and the current owners are all pretty attached. It's a Halogen powered portable, pretty nifty. However, alot of us would like to enhance the convection properties of the vaporizer and utilize a smaller
That unit does sound sweet! I need to go through the thread to extract info needed to even start to think about a mod. If you're familiar with it, maybe PM me so not to derail this thread...

I can find posts where people are using h202 to get the piss smell out of wood from a dog and to clear up dark stains, but can't find anything about bleaching wood. Unless you mean where people use 35% peroxide and bleach to lighten wood. I am talking the shit that is mostly water and 3% peroxide that you put on a cut. Maybe if you soak it for a long ass time?
No disrespect to your suggestion. Just another piece of advice.

Like polishing a car, sharpening a knife, or trying medical treatments.... always try the least damaging possible first. Hmmm. Damaging is probably a poor choice of words... How about the least harsh?

Whatever I'm trying to say... Since the wood type isn't mentioned, unsure of how soft/hard it is and least impact next to sitting out in fresh air would be sitting in a bag of something known to leach smells... if that didn't work, then one could work their way up to h2o2 or other method...

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
I've had success removing unwanted scents in a wood stem by applying a small amount of lightly scented, liquid hand soap to a Q-tip and then applying that in scrubbing fashion to the inside of the stem. Then, dampening slightly with water, use the other end of the Q-tip to "rinse" the inside of the stem and then eventually dry with a new Q-tip; you can even use a piece of tissue attached to the Q-tip, much like cleaning the inside of a rifle barrel, during the drying process. I have no special insight on this but I would avoid soaking wood in any liquid unless you had the advice of someone like @edsTnT who could probably advise as to what specific woods can handle in terms of prolonged moisture.

Last edited:

Wizsteve

Anyone know of a safe way to do it without damaging the precious wood? I accidentally combusted while using a wooden stem made from a friend and I'm not really sure how to go about fixing this. I wiped it down with iso and then wiped down again with water but that didn't really seem to help at all.

My only experience in removing the scent of combustion has been with glass and was done with either iso or PBW.

Anyone have any thoughts?

When it comes to cleaning wood olive oil and ivory soap mixed together works wonders if its bad use that orange hand soap they use for grease first give a good scrub rinse with water and towel dry.

At this point you should coat the stem in bee's wax this will protect and give a nice taste.

Wizsteve,
Reactions: grokit

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
Bury the smoke particles with reclaim. No escaping particles means no taste or smell.

Winegums,

Shannock

Vapman says acetone is safe for wood and evaporates when left to dry but I've never wanted to try that!
High proof rum is also mentioned in the Triihouse threads quite a bit for cleaning the wooden pieces but to be honest when I once combusted in my Daisy it went away fairly quickly by just having a few more bowls!

:peace:

Shannock,
Reactions: Seren

SilentRunner

Bury the smoke particles with reclaim. No escaping particles means no taste or smell.
the best thing to do after a thorough cleaning, is simply vape more. the cleaning never really takes the stink of combustion away, but loads and loads of loads will eventually bring it back around;)

It is true, vaping solves all problems ....

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker

@virtualpurple Just reached out to Venus to see if they're interested. Stay tuned... :rockon:

DDave,

Wizsteve

:) If all else fails you could get some fine sand paper roll it up rim the inside some till its removed. :)

Wizsteve,
Top Bottom