Reefer Cupcakes - Please Critique

Nesta

I’ve been making edibles for a few years now but I’m isolated- I don’t have anyone else to bounce ideas off, so I’m always wondering if there’s room for improvement with my technique. Please let me know what you think of my method, negative or positive. It works well but perhaps, with your input, it could be a lot better.

I used to mix raw bud into a batch of brownies or cookies but if I didn’t mix/distribute the herb very well the dose could vary widely. So now I measure an amount of herb, half a teaspoon, for each cookie/cupcake. [I’ve never weighed it, I don’t have a precise scale]. It’s a kind of single, controlled portion.

I start with cookie dough, chocolate chip if I make it from scratch. Chocolate chip or white chocolate macadamia- if I buy the dough. I make sure there’s butter in the batter, and some nuts, usually walnuts or pecans. Years ago I heard that butter is essential to draw out the potency of the pot. Recently I’ve been reading that it’s not just butter, almost any fat will do the trick. But I’m in the habit of using butter. [The other day on FC/Cooking with Cannabis I was reading some praise for coconut oil in this regard].

I use a grinder, but don’t chop it too finely (there are some small chunks in there). Then I measure out half a teaspoon - level if it’s potent, heaping if it’s not- into a small bowl.

I break up the dough into small pieces & press the dough into the reefer. Layering the small pieces into a ball until it’s one and a half to two inches across. This would make a large, unwieldy cookie, so instead I bake it in a cupcake pan at 325 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes. Let it cool & eat it. (Or it freezes really well, it keeps for months).

It’s pretty simple & very potent. I like the way it comes on, more like a trip. I usually feel it in 20- 30 minutes. I used to make sure to eat it on an empty stomach but I’ve discovered that even after eating a small meal, it still hits hard in about half an hour. And lasts for 6-8 hours. I ate a cupcake at 1pm the other day & was so buzzed that I had trouble getting to sleep at midnight. [I do have a quick metabolism, so YMMV].

Please let me know what you think. Do you cook like this? Do most people use cannabutter rather than raw herb? I’m kinda lazy, have never tried making cannabutter, & don’t mind little bits of bud in my teeth. And I like the taste, at least in a big sweet cupcake. This recipe eliminates the, to me, intimidating process of cooking up the cannabutter. And unlike making butter you don’t need a large amount, only ½ a teaspoon for each cupcake, which equals a joint, maybe two.

Here’s a question I have regarding ABV. I only discovered vaping 6 months ago - so I now have some ABV in my freezer. I assumed cooking with the ABV would be much less potent than raw herb. My regular recipe (above) really kicks my ass. Sometimes I’m on the boarder of functionality – if you know what I mean. So recently, cooking only with ABV, I intended to create half my normal dose, hopefully just a pleasant buzz. So thinking that ABV is less potent, I used a really heaping half teaspoon. And bam! Kicked my ass as well. I should point out that I don’t indulge that often, 2-3 (4-5?) times a month. So my tolerance is probably low. >> So, when baking, how does ABV compare to raw reefer, potency-wise? In a recipe would you use the same amount of ABV as bud? Or a little more of the ABV? [I should note that I’ve generally been vaping at low temps, ~165C to 175C, & my ABV is not totally toasted, so it probably contains some extra goodness].

SSVUN~YAH

You Must Unlearn, What You Have Learned...
What you have discovered is decarbed herb (pre heated plant material) helps the potency. Your abv is stronger to you bc it's already been decarbed. You've come to the right place though. If you decarb your "raw" herb properly you should/could get even better results than abv. I use abv for edibles, coffee grinder, coconut oil (expeller press, organic, non refined), and lecithin granules. Mixed together on keep warm setting in a crockpot for days sometimes...

Nesta

What you have discovered is decarbed herb (pre heated plant material) helps the potency. Your abv is stronger to you bc it's already been decarbed. You've come to the right place though. If you decarb your "raw" herb properly you should/could get even better results than abv. I use abv for edibles, coffee grinder, coconut oil (expeller press, organic, non refined), and lecithin granules. Mixed together on keep warm setting in a crockpot for days sometimes...
So the ABV is decarbed during the vaping. And obviously, heating it twice (the 2nd time while baking) doesn't diminish it's potency.
But doesn't baking the raw bud in the dough decarb while cooking? I thought that you didn't need to decarb if you're heating/cooking. Maybe baking is not the optimal decarboxylation process. If not, what is the best way to decarb?

Top Bottom