Recreational user wanting to learn how to use cannabis medicinally

TheRamblingSoul

I've been a recreational user of cannabis for a few years now, but I really want to learn how to use it medicinally and to know how to dose it out properly with a medicinal focus.

I have had issues with depression and anxiety (pretty much only anxiety now due to major life changes such as living on my own and getting my family out of my life) due to a really toxic family upbringing. My left knee also got kind of fucked up doing political canvassing last Fall and pushing myself too hard to meet quota for my job then and it flares up whenever I try to run for exercise (which sucks because I enjoyed cross-country running in high school) and circumvent that by biking.

I live in a non-medical state and hate not having credible sources of medical authority who actually know what they are talking about when it comes to the medicinal use of cannabis. I plan on moving with my girlfriend to Seattle in about a year and would find it really helpful to have a legitimate medical dispensary to advise me and give me feedback on using cannabis for medical purposes.

My therapist has a number of clients who use cannabis and she supports me using it medicinally and doesn't have a problem with me using it recreationally while taking 20 mg of Prozac daily as compared to alcohol (as far as I understand, she's pretty well-read on the effects of cannabis and encouraged me to watch the Weed documentary by Dr. Sanjay Gupta). Still, for those who live in medical states, do you find you can get good counsel and medical advice with regards to cannabis in your state? What has your experience been like in that regard?

Appreciate the feedback! :)

P.S., as it stands, I vaporize about 90% of the time and usually only smoke when I'm out of fresh bud and only have ABV or the unusual happenstance when a friend comes over and wants to smoke a blunt.

[e]: Also, probably TMI, but I can get a little constipated trying to take a dump, but weed helps wonderfully in that regard too!

Tweek

You are fortunate that your therapist supports you. I have battled severe depression and anxiety for most of my life, and it has been difficult finding medical professionals who understand the value of using herb for our ailments.

That being said, what they say is not completely bogus. One of the things I have to be mindful of, is that too much Sativa will heighten my anxiety, and too much of an indica will activate my depression. As a result, I tend to stick to hybrids, with either a 50/50 mix or slight lean to Sativa. This can all be very difficult in a non medical state, as finding that one strain that works consistently will be near impossible, unless you locate a solid dealer.

Another thing to keep in mind, is all of this can be intensely personal, and will take a bit of experimentation on your part. So no matter what we recommend here, it will always come down to what works for you, and not everyone else.

Definitely wouldn't drink on Prozac or with anxiety/depression in general. It is a trigger for most people...I was starting to notice heightened anxiety and depression even after a couple beers, so I've elected to stop altogether. I've also made the mistake in my foolish youth, of mixing alcohol with a benzo and it's not fun and very dangerous.

TheRamblingSoul

You are fortunate that your therapist supports you. I have battled severe depression and anxiety for most of my life, and it has been difficult finding medical professionals who understand the value of using herb for our ailments.

That being said, what they say is not completely bogus. One of the things I have to be mindful of, is that too much Sativa will heighten my anxiety, and too much of an indica will activate my depression. As a result, I tend to stick to hybrids, with either a 50/50 mix or slight lean to Sativa. This can all be very difficult in a non medical state, as finding that one strain that works consistently will be near impossible, unless you locate a solid dealer.

Another thing to keep in mind, is all of this can be intensely personal, and will take a bit of experimentation on your part. So no matter what we recommend here, it will always come down to what works for you, and not everyone else.

Definitely wouldn't drink on Prozac or with anxiety/depression in general. It is a trigger for most people...I was starting to notice heightened anxiety and depression even after a couple beers, so I've elected to stop altogether. I've also made the mistake in my foolish youth, of mixing alcohol with a benzo and it's not fun and very dangerous.

Thanks for the input!

Also, I can definitely say mixing liquor with cannabis is a one-way ticket to Really Bad Trip town for me. The last time that happened, I got body jerks/twitching, numbness in my mouth and parts of my body, and triggered an anxiety attack. I had gotten twisted once or twice on beer + cannabis before with neutral to slightly positive results (it still wasn't that great and definitely not comfortable at all), but that delightful episode has dropped my interest in twisting to zero.

So, yeah. I pretty much only care for cannabis nowadays anyways, thankfully. I used to experiment more with various drugs in college (and before I was on Prozac), but no longer. I was also more reckless and admittedly suicidal then, too.

Tweek

Thanks for the input!

Also, I can definitely say mixing liquor with cannabis is a one-way ticket to Really Bad Trip town for me. The last time that happened, I got body jerks/twitching, numbness in my mouth and parts of my body, and triggered an anxiety attack. I had gotten twisted once or twice on beer + cannabis before with neutral to slightly positive results (it still wasn't that great and definitely not comfortable at all), but that delightful episode has dropped my interest in twisting to zero.

So, yeah. I pretty much only care for cannabis nowadays anyways, thankfully.

I was getting micro-seizures with the benzo's...add that to the fact they are highly addictive, I turned to MJ instead and it's worked much better. Just have to keep in mind that it can trigger negative cycles as well, depending on what you are sensitive to (In my case, too much Sativa or Indica)

Tweek,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

TheRamblingSoul

The worst I've really gotten from too much weed is body chills. Those are quite unpleasant. Still, a vast majority of the time I have a very pleasant and relaxing high as per usual.

TheRamblingSoul,

Tweek

The worst I've really gotten from too much weed is body chills. Those are quite unpleasant. Still, a vast majority of the time I have a very pleasant and relaxing high as per usual.

Yeah, it's pretty positive for me overall...I have had to be more structured these days in my usage due to finances, and I like it better. I was vaping way too much, and it was working against me. Now that I use on a schedule similar to my medications (three times a day/when needed) I find the effects much more effective and satisfying.

Tweek,

(We'll call him B)

PRACTICE YOGA or QIGONG whilst vapamatizing. Making green dragon teas also vastly increase the medical value of gods "earth" flower. But seriously strenuous stretching and meditation can do miracles for the experience.

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
I've been a recreational user of cannabis for a few years now, but I really want to learn how to use it medicinally and to know how to dose it out properly with a medicinal focus.

I have had issues with depression and anxiety
My therapist has a number of clients who use cannabis and she supports me using it medicinally and doesn't have a problem with me using it recreationally while taking 20 mg of Prozac daily as compared to alcohol (as far as I understand, she's pretty well-read on the effects of cannabis and encouraged me to watch the Weed documentary by Dr. Sanjay Gupta). Still, for those who live in medical states, do you find you can get good counsel and medical advice with regards to cannabis in your state? What has your experience been like in that regard?

Appreciate the feedback! :)

P.S., as it stands, I vaporize about 90% of the time and usually only smoke when I'm out of fresh bud and only have ABV or the unusual happenstance when a friend comes over and wants to smoke a blunt.

[e]: Also, probably TMI, but I can get a little constipated trying to take a dump, but weed helps wonderfully in that regard too!

I have a medical condition call ATAXIA (my cerebellum is shrinking).
Your cerebellum controls your coordination and speech.
I was a surfer my whole life so it was hard for me to accept.
Luckily I did see and do a lot of things before my illness arose.
The DOCTORS gave me all kinds of drugs.
Prozac, AMBIEN C and a few others.
I was a CANNABIS recreation user in the 70's.
Went corporate for over 3 decades.
2 years ago I returned to CANNABIS for medical reasons.
Never lost my ability to roll a joint however could not smoke like I did in my younger days.
VAPORIZING was the solution.
I VAPORIZE in private so my needs are a bit different than most.
The marijuana business is mainly focused on the recreational user.
This is there business however I have to fight to get my needs met.
Even the dispensaries are making a nice business and becoming main stream.
However for those of us who need cannabis to replace drugs it can become very costly.
If you move to a CANNABIS friendly state you can grow your own medicine.
Hydroponically small space with proper ventilation and lighting.
PURE MEDICINE!

I haven't used even over the counter medication since I got my MEDICAL MARIJUANA LICENSE.

Control you MEDS!

Legally!

Last edited:
Top Bottom