Recommendations on a visit to Denver, CO?

MinnBobber

There are two main dispensaries there, Maggie's Farm and Emerald Fields.

I myself have only shopped at Maggie's Farm and have been very happy with their full selection of flower, concentrates, and edibles.

I have not yet shopped at Emerald Fields but after looking at their menu today, my plans are to pay them a visit this weekend!
....................................................................................................................
I won't be trekking to CO for a few months but want to see what's good too.
Went to Maggie's Farm website:
didn't they get the memo that CO prices are falling?? $380/ oz PLUS 25% tax, yikes....
Emer Fields had a Platinum shelf at $460/ oz and not sure if that included tax. WTF?

Is this a function of not much competition there or what???
Looks like Denver/Boulder/ Central City (my fav) have bargain basement pricing compared to Manitou Springs???

MinnBobber,
Reactions: kellya86

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
Actually, wholesale cannabis prices are on the slight upswing overall in Colorado.

Maggie's is a Clean Green Certified grow which basically mirrors USDA
Organic Criteria. Outdoor-grown, certified-organic cannabis, that is also cured properly, VERY FEW places in Colorado(or California), can make, and back up that claim. You don't go to Whole Foods and complain about the higher prices lol. Especially when there is like only one other competitor nearby. I haven't shopped at any of Maggie's Farms six locations, but know they have a pretty solid industry rep. Obviously with the limited amount of shops there, you are paying much more than an area that has mega competition. Go to any of the ski resort towns and you will see similar prices and few competition.

BUT, it could be much worse...what if the only stores were WalMart of Weed corporations who grew shitty, indoor product that wasn't grown to full potential(ie; harvested early to maximize bottom dollar) not cured properly AT ALL, and grew with banned pesticide use, AND still expensive. From industry friends and, reading, Maggie's seems like quite the product, albeit pricey. To get a "truer" price, look at the other menus/prices at Maggie's othe locations in Pueblo, and even in the Springs, much lower.

Also remember taxes, taxes, taxes.
If you are shopping as an out of state visitor, I recommend calling the shop you want to visit and ask them the out the door price(taxes included) to avoid sticker shock.

Some info those may not be aware of:

As of October 1st, 2016 the following rules took effect in regards to recreational sales (medical sales remain unchanged):

• 1oz Flower = 8g of Concentrate (Shatter, Wax, etc)
    • 1oz Flower = 800mg of Edibles
You can still mix and match, but it gets confusing. For example, you can purchase 2 grams of concentrate, but then you will be limited to buying an additional 3/4 oz of flower (as 2 grams of concentrate is now equivalent to 1/4oz of flower). These laws will be a big challenge for budtenders as they attempt to sell combinations of products while ensuring that the buyer is within the legal limits.

One important thing to note is these restrictions only apply to retail sales, not possession. You can legally possess up to 28 grams of concentrates or THC as defined in the Colorado Constitution.

The budtenders WILL error on the side of caution(as they should), so don't stand there and cry and scream because you feel your calculations show that you should be able to buy another gram of wax or such. The potential of the fines levied against a store who doesn't follow guidelines, WILL most assuredly always outweigh the "customer is always right" bs.

FOLLOW the rules and regulations, don't be a dick to Colorado's beautiful outdoor areas, and have a HELLA-Good, safe Time!!!!!

P.S.--And please responsibly ingest your cannabis while there and DO NOT use this as a place to discuss How to Bring Some Home...it makes us who have strived so hard to get to this point ALL...LOOK...BAD. Be smart enough to keep that to yourselves, if that's a path you choose.
Also, Stay off my damn lawn, and Turn down that damn music:myday:.

Last edited:

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Back settled at home. Helluva work trip in paradise...

4 different dispensaries
5 shopping sprees/visits
LOADS of reviews coming!

Live concentrates, waxes, carts, shatters, sugars, and more!

I definitely have my favorites and loo forward to sharing once i get to a keyboard...

MinnBobber

I totally understand that premium products command a premium price BUT Maggie's premium price step seems pretty big :)
Maggie's Farm may have great organic bud BUT at $22/gram and $470/ OZ , it seems like they are out of touch, at least for most folks.
I found superb bud in Boulder and Central City, like best I've ever had, and prices have fallen since I shopped them, so current prices are around $180/OZ versus $470/OZ at Maggie's.

I just want to make sure visitors are aware of the situation. If I was visiting in Manitou Springs, I'd stock up in Denver area and maybe try a Maggie's $22/gram bud for a splurge ;)
From recommendations here, just checked out menu from High Level Health in Denver and their OZs are $169 and sounds like a great place for concentrates too.

You lucky b#astards that live in CO.
Hey FlyingLow, I was just going to ask what happened to you and you posted---waiting on your reports.....

MinnBobber,
Reactions: kellya86

kellya86

Herb gardener...
Thats some unbelievable price difference there...
Maybe I'll shop in denver...

@FlyingLow I'm also waiting on your reviews....

kellya86,

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Will get back tonight with full review.

Need to say, my#1 experience had not been mentioned much, is a good 10 min from downtown, and scored tops in nearly every category.

So many factors to consider... wide selections of concentrates, flower and edibles, knowledgeable staff, levels of pretentiousness noted, quality of materials, wait times, location, etc.

I learned a lot in the process, so much to say but i need a full keyboard.

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral

Need to say, my#1 experience had not been mentioned much, is a good 10 min from downtown, and scored tops in nearly every category.

So many factors to consider... wide selections of concentrates, flower and edibles, knowledgeable staff, levels of pretentiousness noted, quality of materials, wait times, location, etc.

:popcorn:

Silver420Surfer,
Reactions: MinnBobber

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Sweet Leaf in Aurora has $150/oz, that's generally my go to shop when heading to or from the airport. I think it may be the closest shop to the airport as well? Maggie's is great, I can attest, having shopped there almost exclusively for the past year or so. Retail their prices are insane. I always want to recommend them for rec users but ounces of flower could be had for 1/4 the price almost just down the street!

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral

???? Where's the review?

Silver420Surfer,
Reactions: MinnBobber

tblast

Just landed in Denver, any quick recommendations?

tblast,

nickdanger

Collector of Functional Art

Interested to hear your review, as I'm heading up that way first week of July. We will be in Boulder for a couple of days, Denver a couple of days. Really looking forward to it!

nickdanger,

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Dayum, tried posting 3-4 times and I keep loosing the post before it is published... trying to get this out fast, pardon any grammatical errors. Sorry for not getting it up earlier.

I was a kid, the state was my candy...Stop. That is a bad metaphor. I got meds and I got an education.

I had 5 visits to four dispensaries: Smoking Gun, Helping Hands, The Farm... and one other I can't recall at the moment.

Between them all, I experienced not all but a good taste of Co.

So lets get to it. I found I classified my experience down to two different kinds of dispensaries in Co. Ones with a 1-on-1 bud tender experience, and those without. From my LIMITED experience, I really preferred those without. That said, I found killa live resin in all locations!

Lets start backwards and work forwards. First example- he two opposite ends of the spectrum are The Farm in Boulder Vs Smoking Gun in Denver.

FARM: Waited 15-20 minutes before I was allowed back to meet one on one with a tender. Totally felt like a tool sitting around but I figured what the hell. It felt a bit scripted, but I did not fall for the bad retail store side of things. Go into the back and you are in a voting booth like environment, only seeing what the bud tender brings out to show you. Now, you do get to tell them what you like and they bring out products accordingly, but it is not my ideal shopping experience. I cringed when in response to my first questions, the tender responded, "I only do edibles and not any flowers or concentrate." FUUUUUCKKK this pour soul tried but was simply ignorant to anything outside edibles and only showed me limited examples of what I was looking for. Had I not been to The Smoking Gun and Helping Hands, the experience may have been more fulfilling.

In spite of the different guided experience, I got a ton of great product here and went back into the mountains with beautiful concentrates. (I just failed to note which ones at the bottom were from here, I will try to get a review of those out tomorrow.)

SMOKING GUN: Is the experience I was seeking. Tons of strains on the middle of the floor in jars (multiple stations of 8 each) with magnifying glassies, smell holes, lab results and full descriptions. The staff was helpful, they had excellent local deals, and rewards programs for every cent$ spent. I liked it so much, I brought another first time visiter with me on my second visit to let him see every edible, cart, flower, etc. on the floor. On my first visit I picked up Chronic Creations live resin Night Berries 79.46%, Concentrated Love Jeti Kush (I) shatter 74%, The Clear Red Apple cart 61%. Tree House Berkel (forget % but it was their strongest I or H flowers in the house at the time).

Love the Night Berries Live, it was really a wax stability. Smells great, love the flavor at low temps, really berry like but not unnatural terps- HUGELY recommended. Fuck Quartz atomizers, putting this on a pen does it no justice. A rig at low temps brings out the fruit.

Concentrated Love Jeti Kush, beautiful and bright. Appears stable but will turn you into a tar-baby if you try to handle it. It was a great shatter, sedative effect. This is all subjective but I found Concentrated Love extracts to be more of a woodsy and earthy flavor than I am familiar with.

The clear red apple cart... meh. unimpressed with this one, perhaps it was just my selection? strong reintroduced terps in this cart but not in a great way IMO. I would not get another from this company after finding Chroma carts (the last ones I got tested at 90%+).

Tree House Berkle~ This was a fun flavored fresh flower. Slight skunk, but not overly powering. I found this strain to taste and give the most effect out of vapcap (vs enano and minivap)

HELPING HANDS- felt like my neighborhood pizza shop. Walked right in, got great service and picked up some KILLA live resins. LOVED the experience but I do think it helped that I knew their menu and went in knowing exactly what I wanted to get. Here I picked up my first Chroma Cart (87.42%), ridiculous Botanica Live Bio-D and Botanica Lucky Charms. And a Boulder Bar.

Chroma carts- I can't say enough great things. Brilliant unrestricted airflow with a variable airflow valve. Amazing flavor, I found the flavor to be somewhat natural terps but really strong without being overly flavored. These were the most effective potency of any other carts I have had (knuckles aint got shit on these!).

Botanica- Super GASSY live resin (will post numbers for the two later when I look at notes). Lucky charms is darker than I typically prefer but flavor was off the charts just like the tender told me. The Bio-D was a huge fast head rush, real heavy but it got me just LIT. The Bio had some ridiculous numbers, knockout gas smell, and was stable like a crumble. Looks like a bright clear golden yellow live resin, but handles like little pearl balls of delicacy. They mush if you squish them but are totally manageable without getting sticky fingers. Never had anything quite as wonderful as the BioD from this group....

Boulder bar left something to be desired, but edibles need a real punch to be effective for me. I ate 9/10 for a good night sleep and gave one square to a buddy.

Will try to get up some more info tomorrow night on:
Harmony Extracts, Viola Extracts, Craft 710 PHO, Stillwater, more Concentrated Love, dubstix, and cheebas... I am not sure which of these were from Farm, anyone know?

Last edited:

kellya86

Herb gardener...
I too found I didn't like the one on one bud tender thing. Especially when they know fuck all about the product they are selling....
Terrible sales approach...

I was much happier to mooch about and look at all the products on offer. Not be recommended whatever they need to get rid of at the time...

nickdanger

@FlyingLow, thanks for the detailed report on the CO dispensaries you visited. I especially appreciate your take on the one-on-one budtender thing, as that would probably not be my cup of tea either. I have been there since they began selling legally, but it was about 3 years ago, and I'm sure a lot has changed as they became more organized and familiar with the rules. I'm starting a list of places to visit based upon these reviews and weedmaps.com.

nickdanger,

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I absolutely use the maps as a litmus test to see whats on a menu before I went anywhere. I found it was the best approach to know as much of the menu as possible when at the one-on-one places...ymmv.

I did not put much weight into the maps reviews as I did the menus.

I have a ton of work on my plate right now but will try to post up Part 2 later.

FlyingLow,
Reactions: HSIHP

nickdanger

Some of the menus I have looked at have not been updated in quite awhile and some appear to be updated daily. The thing I found most interesting in the reviews were places that sold product in pre-measured and sealed bags, which I will avoid. The consensus was the quality was not as good, and the bud was too dry.

nickdanger,

nickdanger

We went on our four day excursion to the Boulder/Denver area. What an experience! I had been there three years ago, but the industry has exploded since then. We went to several dispensaries in both the Denver and Boulder areas.

The craziest part of the trip was one of the 420 tours to a grow operation and a dispensary. Best I can figure, the grow operation owns the dispensary, and undoubtedly the tour operation is either owned by the same umbrella, or most certainly have some financial interest in it. Think along the lines of the cruise industry, where the parties own or have some partial interest in the stores they promote and refer you to, offering specials for the cruisers.

Anyway, you could smoke as much on the bus as you could consume, and you wouldn't believe how much was combusted! There were probably 20-30 folks on the bus. All I could think of was how many bowls I could vape with all that was consumed. I've never seen anything like it, even back in my heavy partying days 40 years ago. I vaped a couple of hits but passed on all the combustion items that came my way, as it didn't sound good at all and smelled nasty, especially in a closed bus. I'm sure I was the oldest person on the bus, haha. It was a little uncomfortable for me, as I'm not used to, and don't particularly enjoy partaking around a bunch of people I don't know. And I'm also germophobic in my old age, and the idea of swapping spit with 20-30 folks I don't know turns me off. However, it was quite the experience!

The grow operation was really interesting, however. It was not a huge one, but very nice. It was not hydroponic, but indoor soil grown and only had 6 people working there. It was completely automated and could be operated by smart phone. Smelled heavenly!!

The dispensary was really nice and had the bud that was grown by the grow house we toured. It wasn't the cheapest, but also not the most expensive we found, but had a nice selection. All the flower was prepackaged which is not my favorite, but the flower we purchased is very nice. They had tablets set up so you could read about each strain, and jars by each to smell. I didn't look at the concentrates because we had a limited amount of time, and I had purchased some the day before at the Honey Cellar in Boulder, which was really nice. Prices were a little higher than some places, but in line with many of the others we went to. It was Wax Wednesday so it brought the price down since it was buy one, get one half off. The tender was very knowledgeable about the products and very helpful selecting things that would work for me.

Prices and selection at the dispensaries varied, and many of them offered specials on certain strains. Many of them had daily specials which were worth checking out. There are so many different stores that it would take a long time to visit them all, but it would be fun to try. And yes, the tax is around 25% for rec, but there were some specials that had prices quoted out the door. The additional 25% can be a shock!

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
I've been to a few of the rec dispensaries mentioned above, and some are great. Others? Not so much.

Last I was out was a year ago. It was still pretty much the Wild West with a lot of situations where the consumer needs to be really aware, and not get caught up in the excitement of the whole scene. Watch out for lots of flash, glass cases all over the place with lighting in them, pre-packaged nugs, scantily clad sales-women/budtenders that seem to know much more about flirting than most of the product = "uh, yeah (wink). I like, kind of like sativas - ya know? (wink with googly eyes and primping pose) this one is kind of expensive, but really good" (as she's trying to read the label to you!)), if there is a long wait with a waiting room full of t-shirts for sale, a "sales room" with glass cases on almost every wall and budtenders every 4 feet behind them, a bunch of people waiting around that look like they haven't indulged since 1977, or are obvious tourists that look like you may see them at Disney or another amusement park.

There is good and bad, overpriced for what you get, cheaper with not as good material, and better with the best nugs!

My favorite of the last type is L'eagle. Phenomenal product! Seldom a wait, great budtenders, awesome CO2 extracted trates. A buck or 3 more on some things, but have always found them worth it! They're a little tricky to find, but totally worth it IMO. A couple of the cool things they do that I saw some of at other places, but none done as well as here, and none doing all of these things:

All organic and long cured. They grow all themselves, and they grow most of the material that goes into their concnetrates - some processed by them (at least think they still do some) and others are sent out for processing by top places, then returned to them for sale.

Have only talked to one budtender there that had not yet tried everything I was looking at, and knew a good bit about it. The other 4 of 5 were great (and am OK with 5th because of honesty)! Bonus is that they all have asked me what I like and am looking for, and we discuss from there. Not just a canned statement for whatever particular strain.

Every strain has a spec & info sheet hanging on the wall on a clipboard. You can take the clipboard to the glass case and shelves with apothecary jars half full of every strain. Some places you can't touch bud at all, and you'll get hollered at if you try to stick your nose into a jar for a good whif. Here? The buds in jars are only for display. You're encouraged to take a good healthy whiff when they open one for you. They'll give you a nug to look at under their magnifier with florescent light in it (8" across like you sometimes see at a Dr.'s office), and may even let you give one a good squeeze to determine full scent and stickiness.

No worries about who else is sniffing, handling and squeezing your nugs! The nugs in jars are for display only. Your order will be packed out of fresh stock in back.

Bubble hashes are clean and tasty. Concentrates are divine and many are done by Evo Labs (one of the best and at forefront of CO2 extracts - the BEST!!)

Try to make a stop while you're out there, or if you live there and are looking for a top shelf dispensary that ISN'T a hokey tourist trap. I'm sure there have to be others in the Denver area and around the state that are doing as well as these guys, but none I could find. Someone I was meeting out there with suggested this place to me the first time I was out, and I was lucky I listened! I try to go every day for my max whenever I can get back. Always stop at least twice.

nickdanger

I've been to a few of the rec dispensaries mentioned above, and some are great. Others? Not so much.

My favorite of the last type is L'eagle. Phenomenal product! Seldom a wait, great budtenders, awesome CO2 extracted trates. A buck or 3 more on some things, but have always found them worth it! They're a little tricky to find, but totally worth it IMO. A couple of the cool things they do that I saw some of at other places, but none done as well as here, and none doing all of these things:

All organic and long cured. They grow all themselves, and they grow most of the material that goes into their concnetrates - some processed by them (at least think they still do some) and others are sent out for processing by top places, then returned to them for sale.
I'll have to look them up the next time I'm there. Sounds like a wonderful place. There are so many that it's hard to know where to go, and some of them that had high reviews on Leafly, I didn't think were so good.

nickdanger,

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Between the EvoLab and the GreenDot, I favor EvoLab.... but I have not tried the others you mentioned.

FlyingLow,

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
Between the EvoLab and the GreenDot, I favor EvoLab.... but I have not tried the others you mentioned.

Did you try Green Dot Labs Black Label(MED only-Top Shelf) or White Label(possibly made from flower or trim)? There is a BIG difference between the two. I should of noted Black Label in my earlier post.

But this thread is primarily for recreational tourists, whom, will never be able to buy as a MED patient anyway. So I will end my GDL Black Label rant before it ever starts lol.

Silver420Surfer,
Top Bottom