recommend good musical computer speakers without overbearing bass?

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Well, my Harman Kardon HK695 Champagne 2.1 speakers that i bought about ten years ago have finally crapped out - at the same time I discovered the joys of Pandora.com.
(Perfect for when guests are over and you don't feel like digging through your CDs and perfect when you don't feel like moving period.)
Searching around I have found that it's impossible to find an unilateral or anything close to a unilateral positive consensus from reviews on a possible replacement for another 2.1 set whether it be from Logitech or whatever. Every model is always either "the best" or "the worst" for good reasons, which gives me pause.
So what do you have and like and recommend? Thanks.. usually I've gotten very good advice on non vaporizing items such as folding chairs, etc,. from fuckcombustion.
People here are smart and tend to be informed and discerning consumers.

jeffp,

george

I'm not too into this stuff, but i like my X-mini capsule speaker. Really portable and really loud. So check out X-mini speakers if you havn't already.

george,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
I looked at the logitechs and a few other models. I'm actually thinking of finding a used set of Altec Lansing ASC 45.1's unless I happen upon something else that's really good (I have a used set of the Altecs hooked up to my old TV - ghetto style home theater... with excellent results.)

jeffp,

audiodelic

... Boom Shiva !
i second audioengine a5 or a2 depending on budget but a5 is worth the extra bucks. I own both and their both stellar musical performers with absolutely none of the boomy overbearing bass, they are tuned like studio monitors but with a consumer edge so they are very transparent, musical and pure unadulaterated sound quality.

i would say rather go for a5 or a2 vs bx8 m-audio as those are studio monitors so might not be exciting at all, overly neutral for mastering purposes.

go read the reviews on www.audioengineusa.com lot of top audiophile magazines give them great ratings like audioholics.

audiodelic,

SmokingElectricity

i have these. nice and loud. inexpensive.
31mBTbqWD3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Altec-Lansing...QG/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1293440420&sr=8-21

SmokingElectricity,

djonkoman

personally I use headphones a lot(also because I'm an extreme eveningsperson), and the build-in soeakers of my laptop are crap
but if I want to listen to music without headphones, I'll just connect my laptop to the stereo(cd-input is the best input on my amplifier so I pull out the plugs for the cd-player, wich is a loose component, and put ib the plugs for the cord that has a headphoneplug at the other end)
I'll get great music that way
sometimes I also plug my ipod onto it, since it can be a bit annoying having my laptop plugged to the stereo and at the same time using the laptop(if I move often the plug in the laptop moves a bit or gets pulled out a bit resulting in distorted music), but the sound-output of the laptop is better(for playing on my stereo at least, it seems the ipod/itunes removes part of the stereo-effects in songs)

djonkoman,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I have an Altec set that you can control the bass on. They work very well and I've also hooked them up to my TV to listen to Sirius radio out on the pool deck as they have an aux input jack as well. Can plug an mp3 player into them too.

I think they were around $60 a couple years ago. Still work very well.

Lo,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
Elluzion said:
Audioengine A5 or A2's....

or BX8's BX5's (forgot what brand)

The BX models are from the Studiophile line of M-Audio brand studio monitors. I have the 8's they are great for my home studio, but probably way overkill for this scenario. Good price can be had though, especially if you buy the old model.

aesthyrian,

audiodelic

... Boom Shiva !
audio engines will beat all speakers mentioned in this thread in sound quality, m audio would be a close second.just read the reviews on audio engine website you will know yourself.

audiodelic,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
audiodelic said:
audio engines will beat all speakers mentioned in this thread in sound quality, m audio would be a close second.just read the reviews on audio engine website you will know yourself.

yeah i bought a pair of audioengines for a friend a few years ago. i doubt she ever used them, i never heard any comments from her one way or the other.
i'll drop a few hints that if she's not using them.... before i order a set. agreed, it's audio engine. additional side benefit is that it won't bother the apartment neighbor
downstairs because there's no subwoofer on the bare wood floor.

jeffp,

Carbon

I know you made the choice already, but I'll put in another vote for the A5 speakers. I got a pair of these for my kitchen and couldn't be happier. Sure as hell blows away a Bose Sounddock for around the same price. The only drawback to these is that there is no remote, so you have to go to the speakers to adjust the volume. It sounds like this won't really be an issue for you if you're using them as computer speakers, though.

I'm hoping when I get a new computer to just stick an airport express onto the back of the left speaker and stream music wirelessly from my laptop to the speakers.

Carbon,

Pappy

shmaporist
AL ASC 495s -- I've had a pair since the 90s that still rock. Try eBay.

Pappy,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Pappy said:

Yes, I love those speakers and I've never hooked them up to a computer, just my TV and I bought a set for $10 on craigslist.
it would be kind of silly for me not to switch them out to my computer just to see what they are capable of before going any further.
(haven't ordered the audioengines yet)
For the TV any decent enough 2.1 set would be OK, me thinks.

jeffp,

Pappy

shmaporist
jeffp said:
Pappy said:

Yes, I love those speakers and I've never hooked them up to a computer, just my TV and I bought a set for $10 on craigslist.
it would be kind of silly for me not to switch them out to my computer just to see what they are capable of before going any further.
(haven't ordered the audioengines yet)
For the TV any decent enough 2.1 set would be OK, me thinks.
You'll save yourself and trip and some coin, brother.

Pappy,
Top Bottom