Rating butane for torches

Mr. Me2

Hi all, and happy new year!

I started another thread asking fc'ers to post their favorite torches. As I learn about torches, I quickly learned that there is a difference in quality of butane.

So what's the best, what's the worst/should be avoided, and is there a "best value" butane? Also, if anyone knows, what makes one brand better than another?

To help me and others, your answers may depend on which country you live in. So can you identify that? It may make a difference. And btw, I'm in the US...

Thanks!

FreddieFresh

Here's a chart @Vapor_Eyes has posted a few times.

Butane Purity:

yG05Bei.jpg

Source

Mr. Me2

Thanks for your post and attaching the chart! I haven't seen it before (guess I'm late to the party).

Not sure I understand the chart, but guess the fewer/lower the residuals, the better the butane.

I think many of the listed manufacturers have multiple types of butane (basic, and various levels of filtered/refined). This chart doesn't seem to distinguish.

Do I have that right?

Last edited:

FreddieFresh

Thanks for your post and attaching the chart! I haven't seen it before (guess I'm late to the party).

Not sure I understand the chart, but guess the fewer/lower the residuals, the better the butane.

I think many of the listed manufacturers have multiple types of butane (basic, and various levels of filtered/refined). This chart doesn't seem to distinguish.

Do I have that right?

Pretty much. I've only used Vector which claims it's 14x refined. It's been good so far but obviously I haven't done any comparisons with any 5x refined butane from any other manufacturers. And besides the torch test on glass to see if anything is left behind, I lack the knowledge to prove the accuracy of that list.

2clicker

Observer
what about Glow brand? anyone have any experience with Glow butane?

i can get these "buy one get one" for $7.99 a can locally. its just for a torch.

2clicker,

just_the_flu

they say im crazy but i have a good time
...what is the pros/cons for butane that contains 70%n-butane & 30% propane vs. 100% n-butane???

just_the_flu,

just_the_flu

they say im crazy but i have a good time
...thanks but i was more after the pros and cons of straight butane vs butane/propane mixed... besides cost... does it work in torches better, worse or indifferent?

just_the_flu,
Top Bottom