QWET question - what next?

Jimi759

So I did a QWET run and have a pie plate with a nice golden oil/wax. The alcohol should be totally evaporated out in a few hours. I'm not sure what to do from here. I'll have to scrape it up with razors, then how do I package up and store this stuff? Do I freeze it, should I press into a patty, do I have to heat it to make it malleable? Can this be made into a shatter-like product? My intent is vaporize it.

TIA
Jimi

Jimi759,

seaofgreens

My Mind Is Free
Scrape it and then put the scrapings onto a piece of parchment paper. In my limited experience, I like to fold the parchment over the pile and hand-press it for a bit, and then I take the pancake and place it into a pyrex dish heated over hot-water that I do not bring higher than a champagne bubble type of boil, even a tad less than that usually.

Since I don't have a pressure vac set-up right now, I just pick the parchment up every 10-15 minutes and again fold the parchment over the goo and flatten it out, reducing that thickness for any remaining ethanol to purge out a bit easier. Keep doing that a few times until you feel satisfied it is purged. I have honestly just hand-pressed qwet after thoroughly air-drying it and vaped that with great tasty results though, so I don't know if that heating step at the end can possibly be skipped. Your call.

The consistency of your oil is going to depend on a lot of things though. Generally to get shatter with qwet, you want to winterize everything through as much of the process pre-evaporation as possible, don't agitate the material too much when quick washing, and then you want to filter everything down to 10-15 microns. Otherwise, you are likely to pick up more wax/chlorophyll/tar than you want.

Jimi759

Thanks. Actually after sitting out last night, this stuff has pretty much hardened into shatter-like consistency. For what it's worth, I did winterize. I actually agitated the hell out if when washing. The source material was mid-grade buds.

Jimi759

So when I scraped my wax changed color. Some of it turned to a dark glassy brown. Other turned to a more caramel color with a thick caramel consistency. Is this because there was still ethanol present?

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
So when I scraped my wax changed color. Some of it turned to a dark glassy brown. Other turned to a more caramel color with a thick caramel consistency. Is this because there was still ethanol present?
That's because instead of it being thin and spread out it's now together and harder for light to penetrate. I bet if you threw it on parchment paper and pressed it out it would turn a bit lighter again. All you want to avoid is getting green concentrate or a tint of green because then you washed too long and started pulling chlorophyll too. I've had some dark amber hash oil that when you break a piece off and press it out it turns a little lighter. If most of it is hard shattery but parts aren't maybe it could be traces of solvent in there. Maybe a little more purging? As for storage I usually keep concentrates on parchment paper and then in a small airtight jar in a cool dark place for long-term storage, otherwise I just keep it on parchment with the rest of my stash (usually on my desk next to a window) in a small wooden box.

Quetzalcoatl,
Reactions: Jimi759

Jimi759

That's because instead of it being thin and spread out it's now together and harder for light to penetrate. I bet if you threw it on parchment paper and pressed it out it would turn a bit lighter again. All you want to avoid is getting green concentrate or a tint of green because then you washed too long and started pulling chlorophyll too. I've had some dark amber hash oil that when you break a piece off and press it out it turns a little lighter. If most of it is hard shattery but parts aren't maybe it could be traces of solvent in there. Maybe a little more purging? As for storage I usually keep concentrates on parchment paper and then in a small airtight jar in a cool dark place for long-term storage, otherwise I just keep it on parchment with the rest of my stash (usually on my desk next to a window) in a small wooden box.

Thanks. I've seen clearer stuff, but you're right it was always really thin. I pressed this on parchment and caught a whiff of ethanol, so I'm pretty sure that's what's causing the inconsistency. Gonna let it sit out a while longer and hopefully evaporate off a little more ethanol. Can't wait to give it a try.

DabComa

Stuck in Dab Coma
One of the most important things to do I always say is to keep the surface area of the fluid even until it stiffens up a bit after the initial run into the Pyrex , otherwise you wind up with areas that are plenty purged enough, but others where it was thicker that need more time and area to properly purge, once the initial pool of solvent is gone, it's so important to keep everything rocking so it spreads out evenly and thus all purges within the same time frame. The thicker the oil is in the pan the longer it will take to purge properly, the thinnest you can get it will reduce the time required.

Top Bottom