Question re fungus for scientific types

Wahiker

I was reading about how some weed is contaminated with fungus, mold or mildew. I have no idea to what extent this is true, but it seems plausible. My question: assuming you vape some of this, would the heated fungus/mold/mildew also vaporize to some extent? Could there be ill effects from this? Or do temperatures sufficient to vaporize effectively kill off these contaminants?

Last edited:
Wahiker,

nacho257

@Wahiker I'm definitely no expert (Chem undergrad), but I don't think it's anything to worry about. From what I know, any grower worth their salt shouldn't be selling anything with mold or mildew. They'll be very aware of how to prevent these and how to tell if a strain is contaminated.

That said, bacteria and fungi don't survive at high temperatures. So even IF they somehow ended up in your bud, they'd be killed and turned into a harmless vapor. Just my thoughts, like I said I'm just using intuition

nacho257,
Reactions: Wahiker

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
I have found there's a lot of conflicting data on this subject. Do a search and you'll find half a dozen FC threads where this is discussed.

What I do know....fungal spores can survive high temps, so don't assume even high temp vaping can kill them. They may or may not be dangerous...most healthy folks breathe in spores everytime they step outside with no negative effects. You are unlikely to experience problems unless you have a compromised immune system...but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to consume moldy weed.

If in doubt, throw it out. Better safe than sorry. You can also buy a UV light pretty cheaply, and check your weed for mold that way (any biologic growth will glow bright green under a UV light).

Wahiker

Good tip on the UV light. I have no reason to suspect it's contaminated, but it would be nice to be sure. But I agree that people unknowingly inhale all kinds of stuff from the air and if this was a big problem, it would have shown up long ago. I'm still wondering if they can actually become vaporized, as opposed to just giving off a little water vapor and then drying out in the ABV.

Wahiker,

djonkoman

@Wahiker I'm definitely no expert (Chem undergrad), but I don't think it's anything to worry about. From what I know, any grower worth their salt shouldn't be selling anything with mold or mildew. They'll be very aware of how to prevent these and how to tell if a strain is contaminated.

That said, bacteria and fungi don't survive at high temperatures. So even IF they somehow ended up in your bud, they'd be killed and turned into a harmless vapor. Just my thoughts, like I said I'm just using intuition
the problem is that some fungi produce toxins, wich stay behind even if the fungus itself is killed. I have no idea what the vaporisation temp of those toxins is though.

djonkoman,
Reactions: zymos
Top Bottom