Question for the chemists re decarboxylation in air vs in oil/fat.

Qbit

cannabanana
I've read a couple of posts recently (which I can find at the moment) suggesting that decarboxylation of weed doesn't work properly when the weed is in hot fat or oil, and that it should be pre-decarbed in air (ie in an oven or a vape).

I've cooked weed many times in oil, but a few days ago I tried pre-roasting it at 120C/250F in an oven for an hour, as per a method described in this patent here for the extraction of actives for medical purposes:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7344736.html

And then I cooked my decarbed weed in oil. The result seem a fair bit more intense than usual.

So I'm wondering if there's any truth to the claim that you should decarb in air.

Qbit,

HighlyEducatedScholar

Student of Vapor
this may depend on your method when using MJ and oil for the decarb process. How long do you cook fresh MJ in oil without pre-carbing? if it isn't for at least an hour on a low simmer then it could definitely lead to a less potent product. many people on FC have used a crock pot left on low for over a day to make cannaoil. some may tend not to expose fresh MJ to heat for enough time when cooking so the air decarb process helps ensure proper conversion of the compounds.

HighlyEducatedScholar,

Qbit

cannabanana
HighlyEducatedScholar said:
this may depend on your method when using MJ and oil for the decarb process. How long do you cook fresh MJ in oil without pre-carbing? if it isn't for at least an hour on a low simmer then it could definitely lead to a less potent product. many people on FC have used a crock pot left on low for over a day to make cannaoil. some may tend not to expose fresh MJ to heat for enough time when cooking so the air decarb process helps ensure proper conversion of the compounds.

Well, going by the patent, I would cook it at 120C/250F (with a thermometer, no double boiler) for an hour, but in oil. I had assumed this would decarb the weed, but now I'm wondering.

Qbit,

weedmon

When I decarb dry first and then cook in oil, it tends to knock me out. Great for sleeping.

For being high during the day I prefer to not decarb dry. I cook in oil at 220f for a few hours. This makes me feel like I'm taking the occasional bong hit throughout the day, but without the bong hits.

Top Bottom