Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

Nycdeisel

Indeed! the flow is always changing around here, I think a lot are thinking like myself which is shutup and see all the nice photos :lol:

Nycdeisel,

oldfart

th_PA050068.jpg

oldfart,

implied

Long time lurker, finally finished reading the thread (over 9 months after getting my beloved PD :cool:)
Lotta wisdom been dropped which I couldn't add to, but registered an account to join in the photo fun.
Vive la PD

PA240027.jpg

implied,

Purple-Days

There isn't so much to talk about around here. I'm making the same product, since the beginning. A slight tweak here or there in the last few years, a PD from 2008, is pretty much the same as a PD from 2011 or 2012 etc.
Certainly the same materials and philosophy. :)

I'm not chasing rainbows, except with a camera. :cool:

2iuyu78.jpg

This was from early this week, on our 19th wedding anniversary. A nice morning present for us. And a great little overnight trip to celebrate.

We bugged out early and got to the Grand Canyon a little after noon. After figuring out where all the tour buses and tourists were, we got over to the less crowded areas... and went back early next morning, to places that were too crowded that afternoon. Great weather, as there was rain which made all the colors of the rock very vibrant.

huqgec.jpg

15wl6qd.jpg

2hgu3jr.jpg

Wish I would have had time to get a 55mm UV filter for the the altitude (blue cast)... next time for sure...

Purple-Days,

zmurder

Hello!

This is my first post here, but have been lurking for 6 months or so. I have a VB Hands-free, DBV, Vapman portable, Essential VAAAPP, Myrtle PD, and MFLB.

The Myrtle PD is beautiful, but there's been a bit of a learning curve ... but I think I've discovered the biggest factor: my PD is significantly hotter (both hitting, and to the touch) at night. Obviously this has nothing to do with Tom's work on my particular PD, and everything to do with the outlet I'm plugging it into --> for some reason it's giving out more volts at night than during the day .... specifically I believe it's at the "correct" temperature at night, and below temp during the day.

Does this make sense? Have others experienced this? My apologies if I've missed it in this thread. Quite simply, my night clouds are beautiful, but my day clouds disappoint. At first I thought I was imagining things, but have made a point to hold the vape during the day and at night in recent weeks to get a better sense of its external temperature.

Best,

Zachary

!!! Edit !!!

Should add -- I can't think of any obvious reasons why my outlet would be giving out more 'juice' at night than during the day ... of course we (and the 1 other apartment in this building) use lights and small appliances more during the day, but this is nothing major. Just thought I should add that!! I lack the tools necessary to A) actually verify an internal or external temperature difference daytime/nighttime with the PD or B) test the output of the outlet. So I'm strictly going on my subjective hit and external temperature sense. And again I know this isn't the PD's fault ... just wondering if there's a solution. Thanks!

zmurder,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
Wow! That trip to the Grand Canyon sounds awesome. Happy anniversary! :D

I am sure that a flood of technological advancements is exciting, but there is definitely something to be said about a design that has stood the test of time.

I wonder if a purple days has ever broken down before the end of the warranty period?

As for the temperature issue. It could be due to the room temperature being warmer in the evening after a warm day and cooler in the morning after a cold night. If too cool you could use a beer can coozy with a hole poked for the plug to warm her up. There is also a thread about a completely manual (but also pricey and complicated) variable voltage/amp/watt outlet plug.

I hope this helps.

Toke it easy. :cool:

Progress,

Purple-Days

Welcome to the forum, Implied and Zmurder and thanks for choosing us.

Zmurder, a couple of things come to mind.

A bit on Voltage etc. :science:

Resistance is set, therefor Voltage controls heat output with all other factors held steady... Higher Volts = Higher Heat, Lower Volts = Lower Heat. The OEM power supply (Jameco #10081) is an Unregulated Power Supply. ie. Output Voltage is determined by Input Voltage. An example ... if your mains are running at 120V and your output is 12V then, when the mains are at 115V your transformer will output 11.5 V. This is a simple induction transformer (unregulated).

The Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_induction on Electromagnetic Induction may give you a better understanding of this type of transformer, but the little picture may do as much...

ix8hf5.jpg

Put 100 coils on one side, 10 coils on the other, as an example... 10:1 ratio 120:12 115:11.5

So resistance (PD) is fixed and the induction ratio (transformer) is fixed, leaving Line Voltage (mains) as a variable. It is possible that your line Voltage drops, either Grid wide or locally (in home) during the day. Not so likely, but possible.

( Just to finish the lesson on transformers... A Regulated Power Supply has a fixed output. ie. Input Voltage might be 100V - 240V but output will be a steady X Volts . . . )

There are other possible factors. Since you perceive a temp drop, by feel, we assume there is an actual temp drop. Of course lighting can make a huge difference in the visual perception of 'clouds'...

Room temps are first suspect. Does the room temp change? Another related factor that can make a PD cooler are drafts. Using a fan during the day to stay cool? It will cool the PD too, even a ceiling fan can make a difference. Not saying you can't use a fan around a PD, just saying a drafty room will lower temps a bit.

We just learned a new factor this week... We were using Pammy's Sapele unit for travel, it runs cooler because of the denser wood, great for Pammy's asthma... and under normal circumstances just fine for me. But at the motel I noticed a considerable drop in temps... :uhoh: we were setting the unit on a cool tile floor. The cool tile was sucking some of the heat right out the bottom of the unit. Moved the unit onto a room temp wooden coffee table and soon temps returned to normal.

Grinding your tobacco daily? How long it is sitting after grinding may be another factor... Moisture content affects vapor production...

There are other factors to be considered, I'm sure. Hope that points you in the right direction. :)

Edit: composing while you wrote that. Thanks, Prog, it was nice. I have never been to the South Rim, was sure there would be a lot of tourists and there were, but mostly in one or two spots. We saw the North Rim in October of 2001, less folks on that side. But either side is worth the visit ...

Sure Prog, there have been a few warranty fixes. But only one or two un-explained resistor failures. A few pieces of wood have mis-behaved (in all species), as wood will do sometimes... With double clips and a clip seating tool, loose heat exchanger issues are rare (unless neglected). A bit of re-enforcing heat shrink tubing on the transformer power plug stress relief (PD Land installed) helps prolong the life of the weakest point in the system...

Little things to improve, nothing radical. I don't read the other vape threads these days, maybe they will come up with an instant heating, portable, variable temp vape, that requires no power and fit's in your palm for only $5.95, but wait, if you call right now...
I won't know, I'm gonna keep doing what I do... :cool:

Purple-Days,

zmurder

Thanks for the responses re: my temperature issue. Have to say -- it's hard to determine the issue when I'm not 100% sure there is an issue. I've simply noticed, subjectively, that my PD seems significantly hotter (to the touch) at certain times, and the hotter times seemed to be mostly at night.

I was concerned about variable voltage output over the course of the day from my outlet; I probably should have considered environmental factors first. The temp in my office does indeed vary over the day, and I sometimes have the window open or a ceiling fan on. I didn't suspect that my office was hotter at night, but I suppose this may be true, what with the stored up heat from the day. As Tom suggested, it's possible that my office is warmer during the day, but the ceiling fan I use more during the day may be offsetting this and cooling the PD slightly ... or I could be completely imagining things.

Anyway, I'll write more if I notice the issue or have any firm readings. Either way, the PD performs like a champ, even if I perceive it to be slightly cooler at times.

zmurder,

iMilky

Heck ya! Havnt been on in a while do to college but just went back and saw two of my photos as winners! Thanks very much Tom and Pammy, you guys are very good people, ill get to you through email. Thanks again!

iMilky,

Purple-Days

I thought a couple of folks hadn't responded. If you win, it's your prize, no matter how long you wait to respond... Congrats ! :)

I should probably post the Grand Prize for the current contest... ;)

Purple-Days,

Nebulous

Tom, wonderful pictures, I went to the Grand Canyon as child but I had forgotten how beautiful it is.

The grand prize is some sort of custom Purple Days, right? And after that comment, it would be cruel not to show us... :cool: :lol:

IMG_3893.jpg

Nebulous,

ThCombustion

Hey guys, is there anyway to re-seat the clip that's affected when the heat exchanger becomes loose without the tool? I have misplaced it at the moment. Thanks

ThCombustion,

Purple-Days

Just write Pammy with your request for a new tool, give her your shipping info. Post Office is back open in the Morning...

Purple-Days,

Purple-Days

acwql2.jpg
x55bo8.jpg

33mboec.jpg
33ys46d.jpg

11izqkg.jpg

I enjoy woodworking. Have since I was a kid. Lathe work is lots of fun. This morning was prize time. These will be awarded at random to the winners. All about the same size... all Black Mesquite.

These are the consolation prizes for the Purple-Days Summer Photo Contest. It's a real pleasure to turn them for Purple-Days customers. Our contests are about giving something back to the Purple-Days Family. Congrats to the Grand Prize Winner, these Category 'Cup' Winners and all the Runners-up who got prizes too. :party:

Stay tuned for a peak at the Halloween Grand Prize. If you are a PD customer, check the rules and enter, as usual there will be a random drawing from all entries for one of the Grand prizes. Leaving Pammy to judge for the other... expect a few other prizes. Thanks to all who have joined in the fun so far.

Purple-Days,
Top Bottom