Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

br34kthr0ugh

Purple-Days said:
br34kthr0ugh says, "I read the instructions for the reseating of the clip, and noticed it mentioned something about some tool, but I just can't seem to find it. " :cool:

C'mon , br34kthr0ugh , you gotta laugh along with us on this one. Those instructions you read had a picture right next to them.

http://i54.tinypic.com/9h73nn.jpg
Hahahaha :). Forgive me, you are very correct. Am I meant to use the opening to re-seat the clip, or am I to use the solid part of the tool? I just tried a few times with the opening part, and tried hitting it fairly hard. I can still feel something in there sort of sliding around, but it doesn't feel as loose as it was prior to use of the tool. However, I don't want it to break at all, so I'm wondering if you're really supposed to put a nice "sharp" hit on it or not too hard in case it could damage it further?

Sorry if I'm making such a small thing such a big deal, $180 isn't cheap for me and it'd be a shame to have broken it further by my own actions.

br34kthr0ugh,

Purple-Days

No problems, any time you need help just write us. Our e-mail link is right there and we want to help.

I'll explain here how the unit is built to help you visualize what is happening.

The wooden body has a 1" hole in the top. That hole stops about half way through the body and is solid on it's bottom (except for two small wire holes). Inside that hole and resting on the solid wood bottom is a 1" stainless steel sleeve (that you can't see). Resting on the top of that sleeve is the top disk of the heat exchanger. Over that top disk, is a c-clip, that secures the top disk in place. A sandwich... Sleeve / Top Disk / Clip .All resting firmly on a solid wooden bottom.

The key here is to set the unit on something solid. Actually solid ;) . Not the center of a counter-top that will bounce. Go to the corner if you must use a counter-top. Solid . . . Set the unit upright on the solid surface. Put the dowel in the top hole of the unit with the hole down. Corresponding to the protruding 3/8" heat exchanger nipple. This places the perimeter of the wooden tool against clip. Now give the thing a very solid whack. As described above, the wooden hole has a solid bottom. You won't hurt it. If you have questions, write us and I will try to describe further.

We have never charged for a clip tool and the instructions say, if you have lost the tool, contact us. This applies to all who have older PDs that didn't come with the tool, also. Glad to send one out.

Purple-Days,

br34kthr0ugh

Nycdeisel said:
That happened to my friends PD, there was a rattle(meaning the clip got dislodged) when I turned it upside down, so I sat down with the wooden tool piece and followed the instructions that were included with the kit and after a few attempts it was fixed and there was no more rattling.

Your problem about receiving no power is most likely due to something being wrong with the transformer. Try using the car adapter and if that works you know thats the problem, and MyrtleZap site is selling transformer repair kits, which is better then having to replace the entire cord, cheaper as well.

This part of the reply is directed to Purple-Days. I have tried giving it a VERY solid whack, and there still seems to be a very slight rattle.

The rest of the reply is directed to anyone and Purple-Days. I am beginning to believe it is my transformer that has failed on me, because I let it stay in a working outlet for over 30 minutes and still felt no heat from the transformer. I will try to test it in a car later when my brother is home with it. Otherwise, would anyone confirm MyrtleZap's transformer repair kit as working for the Purple Days as well? I see the designs are virtually the same so I assume so, but I'd rather know before hand. Have others used the repair kit successfully and did your PD continue to work as promised?

Edit: When I move the Purple Days very slowly without speedy movements, I dont really feel it moving nearly as much as it was before, so I imagine the tool has helped. Another improvement is being able to feel heat from the metal parts of the PD, although I only plugged it in 15-20 minutes ago. I will post another update on how a session with it goes so I can test if it is getting up to the full temperature etc. Thanks so much for the help so far! You guys are so quick in your responses, it makes me satisfied that I chose a vaporizer from people who actually care about customer support and make it a priority to help those having trouble. Thank you once more!

br34kthr0ugh,

lwien

br34kthr0ugh said:
Have others used the repair kit successfully and did your PD continue to work as promised?

That's kind of an odd way of wording this, eh? Continued to work as promised? Who's making these promises and under what conditions are those promises made?

You said that your PD "....has been dropped a decent number of times...". Under those circumstances, I don't know of any vape manufacturer (other than possibly MF) that would promise that their vape would work under those circumstances.

lwien,

br34kthr0ugh

lwien said:
br34kthr0ugh said:
Have others used the repair kit successfully and did your PD continue to work as promised?

That's kind of an odd way of wording this, eh? Continued to work as promised? Who's making these promises and under what conditions are those promises made?

You said that your PD "....has been dropped a decent number of times...". Under those circumstances, I don't know of any vape manufacturer (other than possibly MF) that would promise that their vape would work under those circumstances.

Sorry if you mistook my wording as offensive. I meant none at all, I was simply asking if the transformer repair kit worked and if their PD resumed its use problem free. I personally think you're sort of overreacting about my wording. No need to sound hostile over some words :peace: I already admitted having dropped it knowing full well that abuse (even accidental) of the PD is not covered under the warranty, just trying to fix my own problem at the moment. You didn't see Purple-Days over analyzing my post to twist around some words into making it sound like I'm trying to get a free PD ^^ , I'd much rather fix my own than have to wait for the vaping awesomeness that the PD brings to the table.

br34kthr0ugh,

lwien

A few things.

One, is that I don't find your post as offensive at all. Nor, do I think my post was hostile. Nor, I don't believe that I was trying to make it sound like you were trying to get a free PD.

What I didn't understand was the "as promised" statement and indicated as such. That was my only intent.

lwien,

Gunky

The repair kit should be applicable to a PD, since the Zaps and the PD ship with the same Jameco adapter. If I'm not mistaken you cut off the adapter wire near the tip and it's a type of 12 volt plug where you attach the bared ends of the wire with screws, and typically on this sort of thing the screws etc are covered by a top or rubber sheathing or something. This only works if your problem is a failure in the 12 volt wire near the tip that plugs into the vape. If the transformer coils have a broken wire or something wrong inside the housing you have to replace the adapter. Not that expensive.

Gunky,

br34kthr0ugh

lwien said:
A few things.

One, is that I don't find your post as offensive at all. Nor, do I think my post was hostile. Nor, I don't believe that I was trying to make it sound like you were trying to get a free PD.

What I didn't understand was the "as promised" statement and indicated as such. That was my only intent.
That is fair. My only reasonable response is I was high and trying to sound intelligent when I shouldn't have. I was just wondering if the transformer repair kit worked and if someone was able to continue their PD use regularly after repairing the transformer.

br34kthr0ugh,

Purple-Days

As Gunky says, "This only works if your problem is a failure in the 12 volt wire near the tip that plugs into the vape."

If the trouble is a non-functioning transformer this fix won't work. If you have rolled over the wire and broken it in the middle or flexed the wire at the transformer, well... expect a very short leash.

On to troubleshooting. If you are getting intermittent power, as you suggest, first off the wall wart is working (99% ;) ) so it's likely a broken wire issue. And since almost always (but not always) at or near the wire end, I think Rick may have a solution. I haven't seen it in action, but for $8 what the heck. Likely (but not always) a good solution for wall power wire repairs.

I think you can get 2 brand new #10081 transformers at www.Jameco.com for about $27.

Purple-Days,

br34kthr0ugh

Purple-Days said:
As Gunky says, "This only works if your problem is a failure in the 12 volt wire near the tip that plugs into the vape."

If the trouble is a non-functioning transformer this fix won't work. If you have rolled over the wire and broken it in the middle or flexed the wire at the transformer, well... expect a very short leash.

On to troubleshooting. If you are getting intermittent power, as you suggest, first off the wall wart is working (99% ;) ) so it's likely a broken wire issue. And since almost always (but not always) at or near the wire end, I think Rick may have a solution. I haven't seen it in action, but for $8 what the heck. Likely (but not always) a good solution for wall power wire repairs.

I think you can get 2 brand new #10081 transformers at www.Jameco.com for about $27.

Regarding the transformer repair kit, is the output plug's size the same as PD's? (5.5 x2.1 mm) I will definitely consider this option if the size is the same, but don't want to get it if it won't fit.

Thank you for a direct link to that specific transformer, that is a very good option as well. Was the $27 including S&H? If so the pricing sounds correct since 2 is about $20, $7 for shipping sounds reasonable.

br34kthr0ugh,

Gunky

br34kthr0ugh said:
Regarding the transformer repair kit, is the output plug's size the same as PD's? (5.5 x2.1 mm) I will definitely consider this option if the size is the same, but don't want to get it if it won't fit.
The repair kit repairs the same Jameco 12 volt transformer used by all 3 log vaporizers. In other words the 12 volt plugs are all the same, as are the sockets on the vaporizers.

Gunky,

Purple-Days

It might depend on your location, but 2 for $27 was with shipping to somewhere in the USA (maybe not everywhere). Jameco sells the transformer for 9.95 and charges $5 for orders under $10 (reasonable), so order 2 (or some useless transistor for 6 Centavos :cool: )... And / Or get the Rick Fix, too . :peace: Back to work.

Oh, p.s. It's a bit of a tribute to the Jameco #10081. We all use it ! :D Very reliable.

Purple-Days,

Nycdeisel

Gunky said:
This only works if your problem is a failure in the 12 volt wire near the tip that plugs into the vape. If the transformer coils have a broken wire or something wrong inside the housing you have to replace the adapter. Not that expensive.

Good to know, I was wondering exactly what the problem would be that the repair kit would fix.

But thats just what I thought, for the low price of the repair kit I dont see how you can go wrong(unless the problem does not concern the wire but the housing).

Im always learning something new from PD! thanks for the info!

Nycdeisel,

panasonic

It's been a long time since I last posted, but a while ago I lost some bits to my PD and Pammy made replacement super duper easy! If you're on the fence about the kit because you're afraid you'll lose or break something, I wouldn't worry too much.

panasonic,

mlo4sho

Hey folks. Looking for some input/advice on what glass you like to use with your PD. Had my eye on the EHLE tube on Everyonedoesit because it seems like a good piece for a good price. Would this be recommended for use with the PD? Also would I be better off with the 100ml or the 250ml as far as being able to get a good rip and being able to fill the whole tube with vapor? I'd imagine something on the smaller size would be good for the PD but not sure how small to go. Also, on a slightly side-note, in your experience have you had better results with a bong or bubbler with the PD? I'd like to try vapor bonging sometime in the near future but I want something that's going to be 'just right' and not too big or not too small. Sorry for the mass of questions, feel free to answer anything you can based on your knowledge/experience.

mlo4sho,

hereatlast

I think the Ehle's are a great start (and maybe finish). I personally have a 250ml Ehle and it serves its purpose well, it works quite nicely with the PD as well. I can't speak on the 100ml version but I think it would be a tad small for my preference. Ultimately these are questions of personal preference but I understand its hard to know what you prefer in advance.

As far as bubblers vs. bongs, I don't think too much can be said without overgeneralized blanket statements. I've got a couple bongs and had a couple bubblers and they all performed differently, my current favorite piece is a bong/tube (with a fairly small volume FWIW).

Also, again and this is only personal preference, I don't think as much about being able to fill the whole piece up as opposed to getting a nice hit (big or small, whatever the pref.)...that said, the nature of the PD allows a very nice and high vapor:air ratio IME, makes it very nice to use with water filtration IMO/E.

In either case I'd say that an Ehle is a very solid starting point. There are a host of other artists/companies that put out similar and competitive products, e.g. HVY or lots of etsy artists. I'd say the biggest question you should consider is whether you want a beaker or straight tube like the Ehles.

hereatlast,

Nycdeisel

Hereatlast pretty much hit the nail on the head. Glass pieces are so subjective its kind of hard to talk about and advise when not talking about a specific model of glass.

Do some research so you at least have a general idea of what YOU would like...

size is really all preference, since you want something not too big nor too small...
For example: I, personally, have cut myself off at pieces that are more then 16" tall. Thats just my personal limit, but everyones different.

However, I will say that a tube such as the Ehle 250ml seems like a good 'in the middle' choice. As already said there are similar pieces out there like HVY and some others in the lower price range.

Nycdeisel,

Purple-Days

Looks just like a Telefunken U-47.

Sapele was a joy to work in the shop. Well it was hard, as reported, but I can deal with that.

It has been running since yesterday evening (first heat). I tried it last night and today. It has a Mahoghany odor / taste . Just like other woods have their own odor or taste at first. Most woods have a distinct flavor and odor, when used in a PD in the beginning.

Wood flavor is subtle, but I can remember Ebony, Rosewoods, Tea Tree, Cocobolo, Tasmanian Blackwood, Pink Ivory, Bocote, Alder, Ash, Oak and Maples, all tasting different (for a day or several). If a wood is too strongly flavored it won't work for us. But a slight pleasant odor in the beginning is OK. Maple may be the least distinct I have used. Walnut is like Walnut, Myrtle is like light Bay Leaf, Cherry is a traditional pipewood. All of these have pleasant odor that diminishes quickly.

So what is a 'Mahoghany' taste? If you have ever worked in a woodshop, you know all woods smell different. Each is distinct in my experience, and I have smelled lots more than listed here. They are like wines, all have subtle (or even blatant) odors. Rosewood really smells like old fashioned roses. Anyway Sapele has a very mild incense spice aroma IMO. Pammy can add her own evaluation later

+++

It was fun, went through some of the same kind anticipation that our customers go through. Pammy called Grace to place our Cherry and Walnut order and asked about other woods available in our size and specs. 1/4 sawn Sapele... Well, you can only try... We were pleasantly surprised at it's good looks. It behaves well in the shop. It has a slight and pleasant odor which is diminishing on schedule. I will hold my comment and rely on Pammy for temperature evaluation (yet to be done). I am using it with satisfaction. ;)

+++

So, it's just another vape... well except for the 1/4 sawn Sapele. Well, almost.

This one is for Pammy's collection and for her Valentines Day. :love:

So a little extra went into it. Standard PD logo on the front, Bison on the Bottom (tomorrow) ... And, rear mounted, recessed, mini purple LED, just above the jack to cast a very cool light to the rear, away from your eyes. I'll try to get a picture.

Purple-Days,

hereatlast

Hand-made presents always go over well IME :D

Sounds beautiful, I bet the grain/pattern is really cool because of the way its cut? Sounds great, have fun testing and working with it.

hereatlast,

Balkhan

Hello,

How is the availablility of the PD these days? I really want one as soon as possible. I have to send my vape back to get fixed.

Also need one that is efficient and I hear the PD is very efficient.

Thanks,
Balkhan

Balkhan,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Wow, I am sad. I replaced the whip on my Q and am soaking all the glass. So, my PD was gonna get a workout this afternoon. Except when I grabbed it, it was cold. Sad and cold. I assume it is a problem with the cord. I un-kinked it and plugged it back in. It seems like it is warming up, now. I guess I'll have to look into a new power cord...:|

Tstat,

Purple-Days

Tstat, if the break in the cord is near the plug end the Aromazap folks have a cord repair kit that may work for you, $8 ... http://www.aromazap.com/shop/transformer-repair-kit.html .

Radio Shack has the Type M plug ends 2 for $2.99 if you can solder http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103614

Jameco sells the original equipment 10081 transformer 2 for about $27 w/ shipping to most of the USA. http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/st...amecoall&ddkey=http:StoreCatalogDrillDownView

Purple-Days,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Thanks Tom, it is hot again, so I am not worried. I love this thing and I'm glad it's warm again as it should be.

Tstat,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
It could be that the connection was bad, or not pushed in all the way. It ran fine all night and is nice and warm this morning for some sativa with my coffee. It is so awesome to have this thing always warmed up and ready.

BTW, I popped the screen out of one of my stems and put it back without the clips. It certainly makes for an easier draw. Are there any drawbacks to not having the clips in?

Tstat,
Top Bottom