Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

jawsh

Hello Everyone!!!

I'm writing you guys today to let you all know that if you are thinking of getting a PD, it is WORTH THE WAIT and amazing. Not only that, but Tom and Pammy's customer service is second to none!

I bought my PD in May of 2009. Roughly 2 months ago or so my PD began to 'rattle' inside. It stilled worked, so I just sort of ignored it. I don't come here often, and I didn't know about the clip that could dislodge and screw with the heat exchange. Anyways, about 3-4 weeks ago my PD finally died on me and no longer produced heat or vapor.

I shot Tom an e-mail to let him know what was up and to see if they'd honor their 3 yr warranty (one of the big selling points for me in the first place). Tom/Pammy e-mailed me within a couple of hours letting me know where to send the unit.
After Tom got the unit and inspected it, he immediately sent me an e-mail to let me know what was wrong. The PD was unrepairable (the heat exchanger shorted out due to the clip being dislodged i believe)

Tom built me a brand spankin new PD that works amazingly well. Furthermore, I had asked him if it was at all possible to get me the new unit for a trip I had planned to Montreal (in 3 weeks). He got me the unit in 2 weeks with 1 week to spare and sent me a tool to reseat a dislodged clip should the problem arise in the future.

I'm just here to let you guys know that Tom and Pammy really care about their customers and the product they send out. Also, they absolutely and 100% back their product and honour their warranty. Moreover, when it comes to inhaling something into my body and my overall health, there is just no one else I would really trust more than Tom/Pammy as their lead free design and overall health benefits seem to be their top priority besides craftsmanship.

If you're thinking about getting yourself a 'log' vaporizer do yourself a favor and get a PD. Tom/Pammy are the best and I wouldn't want to deal with anyone else.

PS: I'm not in any way affiliated with PD or Tom/Pammy. I just speak as an incredibly happy customer that could help others who need a good vape and have found their way here (as i did!)

jawsh,

oldskool

hi, you say power consumption is less than 8 watts - am i correct to assume that's at 12 volts?

thanks

oldskool,

tomitface

Good Afternoon all.

I am not sure if i missed this in the thread somewhere, but i probably did, and so early apologies to all in advance.

With that being said i just stumbled upon these around the forum - http://edstnt.com/index_files/VaporTokenTubes.htm

I was wondering if anybody here has tried these out, and if so to share their experience. I just don't know how i feel about them :ninja:

:peace:

tomitface,

Purple-Days

Please, don't link to other (non-PD-endorsed) products through our official thread. There probably should be a rule. please delete that info. It is not welcome. :2c: It brings up Brass/Lead (Pb) issue again... Hope you understand. ;)

Purple-Days,

stinkmeaner

Purple-Days said:
Please, don't link to other (non-PD-endorsed) products through our official thread. There probably should be a rule. please delete that info. It is not welcome. :2c: It brings up Brass again...
I don't feel that is right, this is an open forum for members to share experience and ideas, manufacturers should not in any way moderate the content of a thread. People are going to get the idea that this is a manufacturer owned site. All in all, I say spend less time worrying about what is going on in this thread and just get back to answering questions and general chit chat, I have never seen a manufacturer argue on a forum as much as I have seen in this thread.

All the guy was trying to suggest a simple add on to a product they already bought the vaporizer from you so your not loosing any business.

On a side note, here is another idea for a cheap glass stem. Go buy a Glass Bat (available at any local headshop) with one of the metal stems, to hold it in place they could use a little non toxic sealant, an example: Magic High-Temp Red Silicone Sealant (Available at major hardware stores)

stinkmeaner,

Purple-Days

BTW , No they didn't suggest they had bought it. Also there was no demand, or mandate, I asked (please), but you jumped in and made it something else. ;)

+++

Also are you familiar with red Brominated caulk used as fire stop and looking much the same??? When things look the same it's hard to tell what they are. And when they are used in unintended ways, well, Caveat Emptor.

+++

Why would any mfg. want a product, they don't endorse... using Brass supplied by another mfg....
who has used Leaded Brass ... in the past, to be associated with their product?

It is a continuation of the same old stuff.

Dragged into this thread with a purpose. Get over it.

The Lead in Brass, that was used by another mfg., keeps getting dragged into this thread. Let it be, and it will die...

Aromazap and Myrtlezap have admitted using Leaded Brass (Pb) in the past. Keep bringing it up. :2c:

Purple-Days,

stinkmeaner

Typical response I would expect from you since it would be the opposite of any other manufacturer or customer service rep.

You will use any exuse to use the word "lead", rubbing the parts with a little kit is not proof that the amount of lead in the MZ will transfer to the air, until you send it to a credible lab to get it tested, why bother mentioning it?

I am sure you make a decent amount of the success of the PD, why not send a few dollars to back up your claim with real science.
While your at it why don't you test the stainless steel washers and hardware that you call a heat exchanger.

Plus you have much more in your air path than just the stainless steel, you have possible wood particles (some species can be toxic), the wire is in the airpath, the resistor is not certified to be in the airpath, and lastly the DC plug jack is exposed. And what about mold? Molds grow easily on exposed wood, any moister or humidity can cause airborne spores to grow.

Potentially toxic woods:
http://www.mimf.com/archives/toxic.htm
http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/hortcult/fruits/blkwalnt.htm
It is well known not to smoke foods with cherry woods, I could not find an appropriate temperature cutoff.

On your website it states: "Do you care what
goes into your breathing equipment?

My question to you is, do you know what is in yours? Above are questions raised in about 5 minutes, I could only imagine if I had more.

I imagine you are going to make a post in defense of your product but anyone with half a brain will know it will be BS claims unless you can show proof of a verifiable laboratory test of your product stating it is safe to inhale from, and even then there will be too much discrepancy due to the exposed wood, and wood being the natural product it is, comes from different trees, different batches, different grain patterns, dust particle size due to inconsistency of work.

This whole post is just to show you that if you look hard enough into any product you will find questions. :peace:

stinkmeaner,

Purple-Days

I have never hidden what was in the airpath of our product. Always, from day one, we have welcomed anyone to look at our order history and materials. You don't see that offer from others, do you? Enough said. You don't represent them and do them a dis-service bringing up their past and their material choices. BTW Read the PD thread about Walnut, educate yourself.

Purple-Days,

lwien

Stink, it is a common practice for manufacturers to find ways to differentiate their products from other similar products in the marketplace. Some will not be concerned with the brass issue, while others would be very concerned. Doesn't make either camp right or wrong, for it's just a matter of ones own self limitations of what they want or don't want to be exposed to here.

Personally, I don't see any reason for either camp to go into the others thread to start something like you did here. Let Tom and Rick battle it out. We, as users of these products should stay out of the others thread if it is your sole intent to defend the opposing manufacturer as you seem to be doing here. That's my take on it, for whatever it's worth.

(now I just gotta make sure not to do the same thing myself.......:uhoh: )

lwien,

Purple-Days

Hey it was a beautiful drive down the coast and back yesterday, un-expected Dental gig, 100 miles.

Saw whale spouts in the Port Orford sound. Pammy missed them, as the coast drive takes both hands and eyes. Nice day and lunch at Wong's.

Purple-Days,

tomitface

Tom, sorry about that. Although im still curious as to how something like that would be cleaned, and how resin would build on them.

Do you have anything of the sort that you endorse (wood stems)? or any new word on CD's pieces?

Just began the beginning of my overnight shift at the hotel, and i have my diffuser sitting right by my side (night auditor means being the ONLY one on the clock :cool: )

tomitface,

stinkmeaner

@lwien...I don't think you read the thread right, the only reason I said anything is because he is trying to dictate what goes into this public thread, while doing so he mentioned "brass" & "lead" which seems to need no excuse to bring up.

The poor above poster had a simple idea to use the Wooden Vapor stems from EdsTNT which would clearly work. People should be able to use anything they want without feedback from the manufacturer unless it is something that can potentially damage their product.

P.S. I am not lobbying for either "camp" I am from the consumers and just trying to make people see that all of these claims are just propaganda because vaporizer companies don't have their products tested.

Purple-Days said:
I have never hidden what was in the airpath of our product. Always, from day one, we have welcomed anyone to look at our order history and materials.
Same old line different day. I never understood the airpath thing, in one hand you mention many times your stainless steel heat exchanger but on the other hand your airpath is open to everything else and it all gets hot since you use a resistor, that means the wire, solder, cir clips, and DC jack is also heated, so in essence they are also "heat exchangers" Whats the point of using some or even most stainless if there are other materials also in the airpath? I guess the other materials didn't have the same ring.

Purple-Days said:
You don't represent them and do them a dis-service bringing up their past and their material choices. BTW Read the PD thread about Walnut, educate yourself.
Reading a PD thread is not going to make your product or black walnut any safer, the PD thread is not the End All of information, other sites claim differently

I also don't think is is right to claim your product ROHS compliant unless it is certified, just because (some) of the parts are ROHS does not mean the finished product is as such, I have seen people assume your Vaporizer is ROHS. It is just like medicine, all may be safe to take but if you combine certain ones, they could be dangerous. This is a reason to certify the "complete package" Especially since you seem to feed peoples fear of toxins.

Telling me to "educate myself" what kind of company speaks like that? Then you turn to another and start sweet talking with stories of whale watching.
Probably the same company that would order a customer not to discuss accessories not made by you.
Purple-Days said:
Please, don't link to other (non-PD-endorsed) products through our official thread. There probably should be a rule. please delete that info. It is not welcome. :2c: It brings up Brass/Lead (Pb) issue again... Hope you understand. ;)
To those following this thread, this is the dubious statement or order that started this all. Imagine getting ordered not to mention attaching a waterpipe. No manufacturer should tell a member to delete a post.

stinkmeaner,

elmomuzz

That just happened...
Vapor Nazi. lol

mod note: no matter who your name calling is directed to, it has no place on the forum and is prohibited in the rules.

elmomuzz,

tomitface

i don't think anybody is trying to be a vapor nazi..:uhoh:

People are just expressing their views.

I didnt meant to stirr anything up in the first place.

Tom - Would you consider making wooden vapor tubes yourself? I can't think for an entire market but i think it would be something worth looking into.

tomitface,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
stinkmeaner said:
I also don't think is is right to claim your product ROHS compliant unless it is certified, just because (some) of the parts are ROHS does not mean the finished product is as such, I have seen people assume your Vaporizer is ROHS. It is just like medicine, all may be safe to take but if you combine certain ones, they could be dangerous. This is a reason to certify the "complete package" Especially since you seem to feed peoples fear of toxins.
I have to agree with this, the sum of the parts do not always make the whole IMO.

DeepFried,

Purple-Days

All of the metals are RoHS. All the electronics(including jacks and wire and solder and resistor) are RoHS (not just a few), the only other part is the wooden body and wood is not something that is certifiable. BTW my Fender Guitar is RoHS, and has a wooden body, so I apply the same standards as Fender, the electronics and all the other parts that can be purchased are RoHS.

The sum of the parts do make the whole. :2c:

RoHS is an EU standard, but is applied to parts for sale in the USA.

Stinkmeaner I don't "order" anybody. Your words, used to troll. And if it wasn't trolling you wouldn't use words like "order". "Imagine getting ordered not to mention attaching a waterpipe. No manufacturer should tell a member to delete a post." Again with 'order" and "tell". I asked, and said please, just to avoid having to mention Rick at Aromazap and Myrtlezap and Leaded (Pb) Brass that they have admitted using in the past. And that they supply (at last look) Ed's TNT brass parts. I shouldn't have asked and have apologized to Tomitface, I was wrong to ask.

Oh, and your big fear of Walnut dust? :lol: What do think a shop vac is for. All dust from woodworking is removed from the product.

And you were the one who suggested going back to chit-chat, but that doesn't seem to suit you. You are back here to stir more trouble.

++

Wooden tubes: I made a couple and showed them on this thread, quite some time ago. One Cocobolo and one in Figured Maple. I knew, when I made them, they were a novelty. No way to properly clean the wooden portion. They were a fun thing for me and Pammy to use for a while, but of course they (the wooden tubes) gunked up eventually and alcohol and water are not something you use on wood.

Mod note: Calling someone a troll is no different than other flaming, like vapor nazi. Only FC staff has the right to determine if someone is trolling.

Purple-Days,

Beezleb

I see nothing wrong with Toms ROHS terminology. He is not saying ROHS certified. He is misrepresenting nothing.

I also dont fault a manufacturer like Tom for wanting to control what is in the thread in terms of steering the discussion to their product. Perhaps another thread with the topic asking about it for log vapes generically would be better. I dont fault the poster for asking about it. Genuine question asked in a purple days thread but a bit more complicated than that and perhaps Tom could have been more diplomatic but that is asking quite a bit after all the peeing contest.

Rather than being backseat drivers, perhaps make a post asking the guy to ask his question in the forum about generic log style vapes and explore the issue. Stinkmeanor does have a point in how Tom worded it but life goes on and I would rather see positive discussion in something rather than more peeing contest. As in the end we only get covered in pee :uhoh:

I say, pick up question and move on over to its other thread. Honestly, cue in southpark cop, Move Along, nothing to see here.

Beezleb,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
FYI, the only log style vape i still use is PD. But, i still read both threads. That being said, i personally am not a fan of this back and forth stuff. Live and let live, IMO. I understand Tom you felt tricked and betrayed by the parts used in the MZ when you took a step back and wondered, what is best for Pam and I?? I think you made a great choice, and found a way to solve and improve on issues with the early MZ/AZ, and thus the PD was born. Furthermore, your persistence on the issue forced Rick into a change, even better, lead free MZ parts too. But i personally hate to see all the animosity between you two. I am VERY glad both of you are regular forum members/posters. But, i would love it if things stayed calmer in the future, just my opinion.

IAmKrazy2,

lwien

IAmKrazy2 said:
FYI, the only log style vape i still use is PD. But, i still read both threads. That being said, i personally am not a fan of this back and forth stuff. Live and let live, IMO. I understand Tom you felt tricked and betrayed by the parts used in the MZ when you took a step back and wondered, what is best for Pam and I?? I think you made a great choice, and found a way to solve and improve on issues with the early MZ/AZ, and thus the PD was born. Furthermore, your persistence on the issue forced Rick into a change, even better, lead free MZ parts too. But i personally hate to see all the animosity between you two. I am VERY glad both of you are regular forum members/posters. But, i would love it if things stayed calmer in the future, just my opinion.
Totally agree here.

lwien,

oldskool

wow, chilly in here today!

i love my new pd. not as big-hitting as my ssv but so much more efficient, and much tastier than my iolite. love to tom and pammy!

oldskool,

vap999

I'd like to see more such competitive spirit channeled into reseach and development, new products, improvements and product line extensions. I'd rather see vaporizer developers/companies bickering and battling it out on FC over who has the best new products and features, critiquing of technical aspects of each others' new designs, etc.

"Log style" vaporizers haven't changed much in years. And current products are basically, with minor differences, me-too/generic versions of each other. "Log-style" (hand-held, low-power, convection) vaporizers as a class are my and the preference of many others, and deserve more diversity - more choices for consumers. [Note, I am not criticizing the PD. On the contrary, it appears to be a mature and exemplary product that is hard to significantly improve upon, without coming up with something different (which is what I'm most interested in, and presumably many current PD owners and others would be interested in too)].

Now that the PD kit appears to have been successfully launched, are there any plans for a next-generation PD or other new hand-held, low-power (12 volt), convection vaporizers? [With demand for the current PD so high, I fully appreciate that there are economic and even moral/ethical imperatives to concentrate on manufacturing vs. R&D. But, I'd still like to see new products].

vap999,
Top Bottom