Powdered cannabis

shredder

cannabis-oil-powder-for-edibles-that-kick-at-15-minutes

I make mine a little different. I use a decarbed concentrate, and mct oil with the tapioca maltodextrin. I can use it in drinks, and in food but most often I take it by the spoonful and chase it with a drink. The drink chaser flushes any weed taste. I feel it quick, like in 15 to 20 minutes, and it peaks at 2-4 hours. I store it in glass jars not refrigerated and it keeps well. My first batch lasted about a year.

bizwaxzion

Enigmatic Cannabist
cannabis-oil-powder-for-edibles-that-kick-at-15-minutes

I make mine a little different. I use a decarbed concentrate, and mct oil with the tapioca maltodextrin. I can use it in drinks, and in food but most often I take it by the spoonful and chase it with a drink. The drink chaser flushes any weed taste. I feel it quick, like in 15 to 20 minutes, and it peaks at 2-4 hours. I store it in glass jars not refrigerated and it keeps well. My first batch lasted about a year.
Do you use the ratio of cannabis to oil & lecithin in the article? An 8th (or 1g of concentrate ~700mg) seems a bit light in my book.

shredder

Do you use the ratio of cannabis to oil & lecithin in the article? An 8th (or 1g of concentrate ~700mg) seems a bit light in my book.

I have not written down a recipe, but from memory, I used 3ml of feco, a little liquid lecithin and 1/4 cup of mct oil in about 1 cup of tapioca maltodextrin.

Then added more maltodextrin as I mixed it in a large bowl. The maltodextrin is white, and my finished product is an off white, darker is obviously stronger. I probably used 2.5- 3 cups of maltodextrin total.

Too thick and it can be clumpy and hard to force through a collander, too thin and it's not strong enough. So I played with it, and added the powder to get the look and texture to my suiting.

When I looked right, and mixed well, (I used a fork) I forced it through a collander, with the back of a large spoon to bust the clumps up, and make it somewhat of a powder again.

The final product almost filled two quart jars. A tsp is a dose for me, and I'm guessing 40-45mg.

shredder

I'm not sure if this would work for you but I use a pestle & mortar to turn my potions from clumpy to smooth (obviously I pretend I'm a wizard in Ye Olde Apothecary Shoppe while I'm doing it🧙‍♀️)

I think a pestle would make it denser. But then I never tried it either. The collander is to make it somewhat powdery, or at least fluffy.

I tried a wisk first for mixing in a big bowl, but it quickly got all gummed up. A fork worked better.

With the oil in it, that's why I start with one cup of tapioca maltodextrin and add more while mixing. Too dense and it's harder to work with and too light, it's weak. You have to find your balance, and a dosage. I most look at the color. I like an off white, not yellowish. But again I'm using a concentrate. I've used rosin and feco.

The taste isn't bad, it's a sweet taste at first as it melts in your mouth but it has a weed aftertaste.

I don't taste it in a smoothie and just a little in coffee.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
This is a very interesting technique that I'm gonna have to try. Thanks @shredder.

Right now my easiest method is just dissolving decarbed shatter with everclear and titrating with a 1ml syringe. But I like the idea of the dry powder and the faster onset. I use the everclear tincture like an edible and add it to food or tea rather than under the tongue. The tincture under the tongue thing is too burny and I don't notice the quick effects that others mention. Sounds like you get that faster effect with the powder.

From what I understand, you combine the decarbed concentrate/lecithin/mct mix, then add enough MD until you get something that resembles dry, but slightly moist clumps of sand which you then force through a sieve.

I do have maltodextrin from the beer brewing process. I'm curious about the benefit of the tapioca variety?

shredder

This is a very interesting technique that I'm gonna have to try. Thanks @shredder.

Right now my easiest method is just dissolving decarbed shatter with everclear and titrating with a 1ml syringe. But I like the idea of the dry powder and the faster onset. I use the everclear tincture like an edible and add it to food or tea rather than under the tongue. The tincture under the tongue thing is too burny and I don't notice the quick effects that others mention. Sounds like you get that faster effect with the powder.

From what I understand, you combine the decarbed concentrate/lecithin/mct mix, then add enough MD until you get something that resembles dry, but slightly moist clumps of sand which you then force through a sieve.

I do have maltodextrin from the beer brewing process. I'm curious about the benefit of the tapioca variety?

You need tapioca maltodextrin. Other types of maltodextrin don't work well. Tapioca maltodextrin is extremely light, it's like fairy dust. I use the modernist pantry brand.

The first time you might want to try first and adjust for effects. I go for an off white color, and I use concentrates.

To be clear, I feel it in 15-20 minutes, but it takes me an hour to peak, and for me the peak lasts for several more hours, then winds down like other edibles.

Last edited:

BabyFacedFinster

I am also looking for some different affects from edibles. I have tried sativa vs indica, longer vs shorter decarb times, and some different types of solvents. The best use so far is as sleep medicine. I find edibles in general can give my a somewhat woozy, out of it feeling which is a problem during the day but not an issue right before bed. The times I've tried to make day time medicine, like sativas with short decarbs, I will also battle around some anxiety from it. In particular the high will increase at a steady rate and feel ok, then hit a half hour peak where it can be uncomfortable and then a quick decline. I am looking for an edible high that finds middle ground, with a hybrid-feeling high that is more spread out rather than the sharp peak.

I know there aren't quick answers, but this is another reason I keep trying different ways of making edibles. I would like to decrease the daily vaping routine as it's been hard on my throat and rely on some edibles more. My main time to medicate is around dinner time through the evening, and then sometimes for sleep. I got the sleep medicine down, now just looking for that vape high feeling for the evening. Maybe I should add some cbd medicine to my edibles. I have some pure cbd isolate powder around here somewhere.

I'm off to Amazon for tapioca MD. :tup:

Last edited:

shredder

I am also looking for some different affects from edibles. I have tried sativa vs indica, longer vs shorter decarb times, and some different types of solvents. The best use so far is as sleep medicine. I find edibles in general can give my a somewhat woozy, out of it feeling which is a problem during the day but not an issue right before bed. The times I've tried to make day time medicine, like sativas with short decarbs, I will also battle around some anxiety from it. In particular the high will increase at a steady rate and feel ok, then hit a half hour peak where it can be uncomfortable and then a quick decline. I am looking for an edible high that finds middle ground, with a hybrid-feeling high that is more spread out rather than the sharp peak.

I know there aren't quick answers, but this is another reason I keep trying different ways of making edibles. I would like to decrease the daily vaping routine as it's been hard on my throat and rely on some edibles more. My main time to medicate is around dinner time through the evening, and then sometimes for sleep. I got the sleep medicine down, now just looking for that vape high feeling for the evening. Maybe I should add some cbd medicine to my edibles. I have some pure cbd isolate powder around here somewhere.

I'm off to Amazon for tapioca MD. :tup:

A lot to respond to, hopefully I can.

As I mentioned more than once weed capsules IMHO more closely resemble the variety they were made from than any other form of edible.

If you want an uplifting g high, choose an uplifting variety. I call my comlumbian gold capsules, happy pills.

And cbd's can help, but I recommend cbda over cbd isolate. I find the isolate more sedating than undecarbed cbd. My thoughts are probably effected by growing cannatonic 4 for years though. Other cbd plants could be different idk.

If your looking for a perfect fit for you start with tiny batches and different dosages and experiment.

I know that nice ramp up, then a little panic or feeling overwhelmed followed by a slow decline. I think it's mostly finding your dosage, and really that type of buzz is similar to a dab session, at least for me. I only dabbed 3 times last year, but I do edibles daily.

Lately though because of circumstances I mostly just medicate at night, and when on a free weekend I use some of my edibles daytime I get totally trashed because my tolerance went down with my usage. Most of our edibles are in the 45mg range, but 25-30mg would probably be more appropriate now.

A sugary edible like infused honey or chocolate (or powdered cannabis) can be uplifting because of the carbs, and of course coffee, but you said evenings.

Hopefully this helps, the edible thing has been great for my lungs and asthma.

Last edited:

BabyFacedFinster

Thanks for the good points.
20mg seems to be a good dose for me right now. It's almost time for bed here and I just had some chocolate myself. It helps me stay asleep after the first 3-4 hours so I don't wake early.

The dextrin should be here next week so I hope to have some powdered cannabis soon.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
20mg seems to be a good dose for me right now. It's almost time for bed here and I just had some chocolate myself. It helps me stay asleep after the first 3-4 hours so I don't wake early.

I'm jealous. I wish I could do that. Edibles have always required significantly higher doses for me to get the same level of effect than pretty much everyone else I know. And it's not because I eat edibles all the time. I don't, and it's been that way since I first consumed edibles, so it's not a tolerance thing.

It takes me at least 50mg to have enough effect to be worth the time, and I prefer to dose at 100mg initially.

shredder

I'm jealous. I wish I could do that. Edibles have always required significantly higher doses for me to get the same level of effect than pretty much everyone else I know. And it's not because I eat edibles all the time. I don't, and it's been that way since I first consumed edibles, so it's not a tolerance thing.

It takes me at least 50mg to have enough effect to be worth the time, and I prefer to dose at 100mg initially.

Were the edibles you tried homemade? I ask because dispensary edibles around me are not even close to what we make in effects.

I've eaten well over 50mg of store bought gummies and chocolates with very little effects, but our homemade edibles at that dose rock me.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Were the edibles you tried homemade?

Both. I've made my own and I've purchased name-brand store-bought. I get about the same experience from either.

Don't get me wrong, I have had crappy store-bought that I know wasn't as strong as it was labeled, but I'm usually careful to research the brands I'm buying before I buy. The times I've gotten crap was a cheap brand that I bought on impulse while checking out, having not looked the brand up previously.

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer

If you vape a lot the efficacy of edibles falls way, way off since they produce the same metabolite ( thus tolerance) AKA vaping weed affects edible tolerance about as much as eating edibles.

It took me a long time to figure this out as it’s not talked about much.

vapirtoo

I vape all day every day, and 20mg. dispensary edibles are pretty weak.
I can swallow a handful of ABV and get stronger results. ( .5 gram? )
I tend to stay away from edibles as the effects are hard to modulate.
I will be taking some gummies to Aruba.

vapirtoo,
Reactions: shredder
Top Bottom