Pot by noids

Mr Turnip

Anyone use one of these?.

Bought one a few months ago and not bothered with it to be honest.

Just interested to see how others are using and guidance on doing an alcohol run.

Jess

Hey, did you ever end up using it? I'm curious about it and if it's worth it say compared to the Herboven.

Thanks,

Jess,
Reactions: shredder

condition

I am going to bookmark this. I am between pot by noids and magicalbutter. The pot decarbs also.

I am interested if it is worth to use it with ABV & the alcohol option?

condition,

Jess

So I purchased the Pot by Noids. My initial concern was that it's made in China. I wanted to get the Ardent FX Decarboxylator, which is supposed to be made in the USA and I did. But they sent the wrong thing, I know weird. So Pots it is. I bought it directly from their company as the exchange rate made it a little cheaper than Amazon. They charged CA taxes and shipped it from the Amazon distribution center in Ontario. It got here the next day after it was shipped.

My concerns on the quality was quashed once I washed it. The quality seems very high. My wife works in the medical industry (surgery) and many of the tools they use are made elsewhere but the USA so it can be of medical quality and I think It is. It's pretty hefty and very easy to use. I just set it and forget it. LOL. It does it's thing. I decarbed flower and sometimes mix that into my shakes. I made some infused MCT oil. It was very easy and extracting up to the last drop of oil is achievable with the small glass pipette that's included.

I want to make tinctures and extracts but I need 95% food grade alcohol and alas it's illegal in CA. So that's on hold for now until I can figure something out.

I can take pics if you guys want, but their website and videos are pretty thorough.

condition

Hi guys, I purchased pot by noids around 6-7 months ago. So far, I have very tasty results, only with ethanol extraction though. I create a very strong spirit, tasting very good if mixed with a juice or soft drink. I haven't produced any cake or butter so far and I am willing to do so but I am not very sure about the procedure. I like to abstain from daily alcohol consumption.

So I first decarb for couple of hours, then soak decarboxylated herb into pure ethanol. After couple of hours of soaking, I choose ethanol extraction, filter the herbs from the alcohol and wait for the evaporation procedure to finish, drop by drop.

condition,
Reactions: Jess

Roffa

Finally I bought one. So far I've infused 200ml of ghee with 5 g of herbs and I'm condensating some reclaim in ethanol now, so we'll see.
The ghee infusion was incredibly easy. Everything happens in one pot, first decarbing then infusing. You can just set the machine and leave it alone. The filter is genius. So easy. All in all, very happy so far, of course longevity is something that only time can prove.

The THC-ghee I made is excellent.

AndyO

Saw this thread and had to sign up.

I don't know if this is a really dumb question, but they promote being able to "reclaim" the alcohol from your tincture for re-use. Given the expense of everclear where I am (Australia) it kind of makes the POT a no-brainer.

What I don't understand:
- how does it evaporate off the alcohol while retaining the alcohol content?
- does it lose much alcohol content going through the evaporation phase?

That's the idea, right? That you keep infusing and re-using the same everclear?

AndyO,

StellarLarve

As this thread popped up in New, I had been vaguely looking for an excuse to dive into DIY edibles for a while. I made a little research on the different decarb/infusion machines, The Pot seems nice enough, is available in my country without shipping from the other side of the world… so I have just bought one yesterday. First batch hopefully this week-end, I'll let you all know how it goes.

StellarLarve,
Reactions: Cheebsy

Roffa

I bought mine for edibles, and I find that infusing oil or making feco is much more efficient and direct than creating some sort of fudge. And so easy to do.

@AndyO there's an evaporation attachment that turns your Pot into a little still. That's how you can reclaim the alcohol: it's distilled out of the flower/ethanol wash.

Roffa,

StellarLarve

So, I received the Pot by Friday, and made a tiny test yesterday. I realized I am running dry, so I made a very small batch, with 1g of random weed, and 1g of high CBD flower, and 100 ml of olive oil.

I think I will really like that thing! :D

I have no comparaison with other machines, but I have had a few experiences with oven decarb' and double boiler butter, that will very soon be forgotten as prehistoric and tedious methods. The Pot makes it soooo easy… I initially hesitated between a dedicated weed machine and a sous-vide set up. The sous-vide would certainly have been more versatile in the kitchen, but in the end, I have decided I did not want to mess with bags, plus the alcohol tincture set up in addition of decarb/infusion really won me over.

Quality and build seem really good. Design is good. Really not a fan of the huge logo on the silicone sleeve, but that is my usual pet peeve… No buttons, to select between settings you rotate the whole device on its base.

The process is as simple as it could be. Apparently, the Pot analyzes the weight and humidity of the herbs, and adjust the temperature and the duration to optimize the decarb and infusion processes, and maximise conversion/extraction rates.

Grind flowers, put them in the glass beaker, select CBD/THC decarb setting. Ding-Dong-Ding, little chime, green glow, fan noise… and all you have to do is to do something else and wait. Dong-Ding-Dong, little chime. and it's done. Add oil. Select infusion setting. Ding-Dong-Ding. Wait. Filter. Done.

Smell… is present during the process. Certainly not as loud as oven/boiler, but definitely noticeable.
I was a bit surprised, but I think it is to be expected, fan noise is also quite present. I was cooking supper at the same time, so smell and noise were not a concern, but I would rethink my plan to run a batch during the night.

The "french press" style filter is brilliant. it comes with an additional glass dropper to water separate further the plant matter and the last of oil, but I did not bother for such a small test batch; I filtered what I could in a small bottle, and simply dumped the rest over a mesh strainer in another container.

The whole thing is really simple and easy to use, and all the parts that will get dirty/oily go in the dishwasher. I would say the whole process took maybe 4 hours.

I estimated my batch at ~ 1.35 mg of THC per ml. Not sure about that, but I tried 4ml, and the effect were "relatively" similar to 5 mg gummies I have. :shrug:

So, all in all, really great, I am really looking forward to make a "real" batch, and particularly the FECO process.

Roffa

Getting on with the Pot. So ridiculously easy to make a good full extract oil with ethanol extraction. That still attachment with the strainer is very efficient at distilling. First I run my 96% proof ethanol through the Pot to remove any impurities, and I freeze the distilled alcohol Then I decarb some flower, I freeze that too, and finally combine to macerate in the freezer, agitating from time to time. Then I distill the wash in the Pot until the THC oil is left. The extract I'm getting: very potent. No hassle involved. I already infused some MCT oil with cbd flower and I use that to dilute to the final oil that I then put in a dropper bottle. Couldn't be simpler

shredder

Getting on with the Pot. So ridiculously easy to make a good full extract oil with ethanol extraction. That still attachment with the strainer is very efficient at distilling. First I run my 96% proof ethanol through the Pot to remove any impurities, and I freeze the distilled alcohol Then I decarb some flower, I freeze that too, and finally combine to macerate in the freezer, agitating from time to time. Then I distill the wash in the Pot until the THC oil is left. The extract I'm getting: very potent. No hassle involved. I already infused some MCT oil with cbd flower and I use that to dilute to the final oil that I then put in a dropper bottle. Couldn't be simpler

How much herb can you do at a time?
To make feco do you have to first grind the herb, or can you use whole dried buds?
Pre decarb, won’t the evaporation cycle decarb also? I assume it uses heat in this process?

shredder,

Roffa

How much herb can you do at a time?
To make feco do you have to first grind the herb, or can you use whole dried buds?
Pre decarb, won’t the evaporation cycle decarb also? I assume it uses heat in this process?
I watched a lot of YT videos, there are 2 good ones on 2 methods you can use to make FECO. NOIDS itself has a good process included with their Pot instructions, and they also have a good video on this. Anyway, if you grind your flower, obviously the Pot's pot can hold quite a lot. I'g at m very comfortable with decarbing 10g at a time.

My very first run is just the alcohol, no flower, to go to 99% proof and to remove denaturing and coloring agents. It's the resulting distillate that I also put in the freezer for a night.

I haven't measured it, but I assume the distilling function sets the temperature to the boiling temperature of alcohol. The (rather brilliant) still attachment and filtering lid are quite adequate at producing a distillate.

AndyO

I did my first FECO this week. I put in 200ml of green dragon tincture (made in my Magical Butter machine), I yielded about 4.5 grams of FECO and reclaimed about 170ml of everclear. Not bad, but not quite the 90% I'd been told to expect. Couldn't have been easier though.

If the tincture is anything to go by, the gummies I used the FECO in are going to be nuts - they're currently cooling in the fridge waiting for me to write myself off tonight.

shredder

Who has the best price on these? Santa wants to know, lol. I see amazon has them at $299.99, is there a better price?

shredder,

Tellus

Human (H. sapiens x H. neanderthalensis)
I'm interested in getting one of these. What made you people choose the Pot instead of other brands? And how's it holding up? Anyone using it frequently? I've made edibles and infused oils on and off for years using an oven, always with good results! Hoping the Pot can do the same, just more effectively??

StellarLarve

I'm interested in getting one of these. What made you people choose the Pot instead of other brands? And how's it holding up? Anyone using it frequently? I've made edibles and infused oils on and off for years using an oven, always with good results! Hoping the Pot can do the same, just more effectively??

All in one device, that decarbs, infuses, and especially has a still adapter to make alcohol based FECO.
Nice design.
European brand, available readily in my country without having to deal with outrageous shipping from North America.

I can’t tell long term as I have only made two small batches so far, one with olive oil, another with coco fat. Could not be easier: grind, decarb, add oil, infuse, filter, done. All the greasy parts are dishwasher safe.

edit: I also quite like the «french press» filter process.

AndyO

When it comes to cannabis/edibles products and kitchen gadgets my Venn diagram is basically a circle.

I have an Ardent FX, I have a Magical Butter - but as I think I said previously, the ability to cook off ethanol to make FECO, while also reclaiming 80-90% the alcohol was the main thing that sold me, because the price of everclear (where I am in Australia) meant this thing should hopefully pay for itself within a year.

I think it's probably the best all-round unit, and it's easiest to use. There are things the FX does better, and the FX definitely has fewer breakable parts (whereas the Noids beaker is grossly expensive to replace if you break it) - but the FX manufacturer insists that you can't/shouldn't put alcohol anywhere near it.

Tellus

Human (H. sapiens x H. neanderthalensis)
All in one device, that decarbs, infuses, and especially has a still adapter to make alcohol based FECO.
Nice design.
European brand, available readily in my country without having to deal with outrageous shipping from North America.

I can’t tell long term as I have only made two small batches so far, one with olive oil, another with coco fat. Could not be easier: grind, decarb, add oil, infuse, filter, done. All the greasy parts are dishwasher safe.

edit: I also quite like the «french press» filter process.
Thanks! I'm also in Europe, did you buy directly from their site?
And we actually have a french press at home that I enjoy using. I'm not a coffee person usually though, so just sometimes.

When it comes to cannabis/edibles products and kitchen gadgets my Venn diagram is basically a circle.

I have an Ardent FX, I have a Magical Butter - but as I think I said previously, the ability to cook off ethanol to make FECO, while also reclaiming 80-90% the alcohol was the main thing that sold me, because the price of everclear (where I am in Australia) meant this thing should hopefully pay for itself within a year.

I think it's probably the best all-round unit, and it's easiest to use. There are things the FX does better, and the FX definitely has fewer breakable parts (whereas the Noids beaker is grossly expensive to replace if you break it) - but the FX manufacturer insists that you can't/shouldn't put alcohol anywhere near it.
Thank you, sounds like it should be a good machine. I was looking at the FX too but I'm more interested in the Pot. Too bad about the beaker, it's not a standard type maybe found somewhere else?

Tellus,
Reactions: shredder

Roffa

I chose it because ethanol extraction is so easy with it.
I'm in NL and I bought from Zamnesia. I bought 2 replacement beakers
I also found out that if you have lab glass, the still attachment just fits a 14/23 grind. If you get a flask, it's an almost closed system too. I measured how much alcohol I put in, and how much I got out, and I can reclaim 80% tops. And I did streamline my extraction method with an ISI easywhip and nitro haha

Last edited:

StellarLarve

A little thread bump / update… I have made two batches of ethanol extraction using the Pot.

One with a qwiso-ish method where I put the alcohol and the decarb’ ground flowers separately in the freezer overnight, then combine, shake, etc. then distill.

Another one where I soaked the decarb’ ground flowers in room temperature alcohol for a couple days, shaking occasionally, then distill.

The process with the Pot super easy. The still attachment is brilliant, and I am very happy with the device. My only small criticism would be the smell, one could absolutely tell what is going on during the decarb phase.

I’ll go and open a new thread about tinctures potency, I would like advices and experiences feedbacks, as it seems to me that my tinctures are not as potent as they should/could be.

AndyO

Man the tincture/alcohol of my first lot evaporated quickly! They were in the fridge, I covered them after about 2 days, it didn't help.

I don't think that's down to the POT - in fact I think it's probably more to do with my vegan gelatine replacement (agar powder) not acting as I expecting it to - it ultimately ended up a pretty crappy result though!

The stuff in the dropper bottles is obviously not evaporating, but similarly I don't know that I'm as happy with potency as I wanted to be.

AndyO,
Reactions: dimmusp
Top Bottom