Portable, smooth convection vape for small amounts?

Splatterpop Circus

Hey folks,

A bit about me and my use first: I vape to treat my chronic fatigue, chronic pain, anxiety and insomnia. I have a very sensitive throat and typically need a menthol lozenge when vaping even the smallest amount, or I spend several minutes trying to cough out every internal organ. Likewise I can't take long hits.

I own a Vapor Brothers and an E-Nano and like both, though I only use the Nano these days as it seems the most reliable/efficient (took me a while to get used to it though, thanks @ folks in the Nano thread for convincing me to stick with it). I've also used an Ascent but I wasn't a big fan (don't like having breakable pieces on a portable, the flavor wasn't great, takes longer than I'd like to heat up, not very stealthy, vapor was hotter than I'd like).

Most days I don't vape except at night unless my symptoms are bad. If I do vape during the day, I use very small amounts, less than .05g, and only a puff or two at a time every hour or two, not enough to get me high but enough to mitigate my pain and fatigue. I take .09g at night. During the day I vape somewhere between 350-380f (6.25-6.4 on my Nano), and at night around 400f (6.75 on my Nano). Yes, I am super OCD about this stuff.

What I'm looking for is something to use during the day when my symptoms are bad but I need to go out, and ideally something I could use at night while traveling. It needs to handle .05g or less well (assuming it's as efficient as the Nano, which might be hoping for too much), the vapor can't be too harsh, it needs reliable temperature control so I can get my dosage right without accidentally getting stoned, and it needs to be an on-demand, one or two small hits at a time vape. I also appreciate stealth, fast heat-up time, a good warranty, ease of use and a stylish exterior 'cause I'm shallow like that. I think I want a convection vape, and I don't want something too big or with detachable glass parts.

I'm currently looking at the Grasshopper (looks great but the vapor might be too hot for me?) or the Firefly 2 (looks amazing but that price!), but I'm not sure about those so any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Splatterpop Circus,

Splatterpop Circus

The firewood sounds like it first your description perfectly. I had the original, but people rave about the newest one, which has temp control.
Yeah, I'd been looking at that one too, it looks pretty damn nice and I like the idea of the capsule system. Some folks are saying it's pretty hot though? And the temperature control doesn't sound quite as specific as I'd like. I'll look into it more though, thanks!

Splatterpop Circus,

Splatterpop Circus

Take a look at the Firefly 2. Largely fits your description.
The Firefly 2 seems really nice, but I'm a little concerned because the previous version seems like it had reliability issues. Plus the price is pretty intense. Still, it sounds like my best bet at the moment, seems like it ticks all my boxes... Since you own both, how would you compare efficiency, vapor heat/harshness, and using small amounts of herb between the FF2 and the Nano?

The Magic Flight Launch Box is a great little portable vaporizer that has been around for years. It does have a slight learning curve, however. The Arizer Solo is also a great portable vaporizer.
I've heard too many folks who were unhappy with the MFLB to want to try that, it seems like it's very much a love it or hate it kinda vape and I don't have the cash to buy something I might not love. I also have dexterity issues and arthritis so anything finicky is worrying for me.

The Solo's too big for my needs, and I don't like the glass "straw" on it or the Air. I'd also read that those two don't work as well with small amounts, but maybe I was mistaken?

Splatterpop Circus,
Reactions: Vicki

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
The Firefly 2 seems really nice, but I'm a little concerned because the previous version seems like it had reliability issues. Plus the price is pretty intense. Still, it sounds like my best bet at the moment, seems like it ticks all my boxes... Since you own both, how would you compare efficiency, vapor heat/harshness, and using small amounts of herb between the FF2 and the Nano?

I've heard too many folks who were unhappy with the MFLB to want to try that, it seems like it's very much a love it or hate it kinda vape and I don't have the cash to buy something I might not love. I also have dexterity issues and arthritis so anything finicky is worrying for me.

The Solo's too big for my needs, and I don't like the glass "straw" on it or the Air. I'd also read that those two don't work as well with small amounts, but maybe I was mistaken?

I always use smaller amounts in my Solo, usually 1/2 a stem, but I understand your concerns.

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
The Firefly 2 seems really nice, but I'm a little concerned because the previous version seems like it had reliability issues. Plus the price is pretty intense. Still, it sounds like my best bet at the moment, seems like it ticks all my boxes... Since you own both, how would you compare efficiency, vapor heat/harshness, and using small amounts of herb between the FF2 and the Nano??

Somewhat apples to oranges, given the desktop vs portable issues. But since you asked....

Efficiency: mostly a draw. The Nano works better for <.1 grams, but both are very efficient.
Heat/harshness:.FF hands down. Without water the Nano can be quite hot, even on 6. The FF is the coolest vapor I've tried (either version, though the 1 is slightly cooler).
Amounts: both excel in small amounts, but the Nano gets the nod, and is somewhat more flexible.

As for reliability, the FF2 appears to have fixed the major issues with the FF1, but we'll need a few months and a lot more units in the wild to know for sure.

Splatterpop Circus

Somewhat apples to oranges, given the desktop vs portable issues. But since you asked....

Efficiency: mostly a draw. The Nano works better for <.1 grams, but both are very efficient.
Heat/harshness:.FF hands down. Without water the Nano can be quite hot, even on 6. The FF is the coolest vapor I've tried (either version, though the 1 is slightly cooler).
Amounts: both excel in small amounts, but the Nano gets the nod, and is somewhat more flexible.

As for reliability, the FF2 appears to have fixed the major issues with the FF1, but we'll need a few months and a lot more units in the wild to know for sure.
Awesome, that's just what I was hoping to hear, thanks! One more question then I'll leave ya alone: have you had any luck with shorter draws? Not sure how it'd compare since the vapor's hotter, but with my Nano I can't draw for longer than 4 seconds or so without coughing. I keep seeing people saying 10 seconds is the ideal draw, but if I can get away with less that'd be great.

Splatterpop Circus,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Awesome, that's just what I was hoping to hear, thanks! One more question then I'll leave ya alone: have you had any luck with shorter draws? Not sure how it'd compare since the vapor's hotter, but with my Nano I can't draw for longer than 4 seconds or so without coughing. I keep seeing people saying 10 seconds is the ideal draw, but if I can get away with less that'd be great.

I do shorter draws on the Nano almost exclusively....of course I use it >7 most of the time, and usually 8ish. I never take draws more than 3 or 4 seconds on the Nano.

The FF requires long, slow draws. It's a completely different experience and approach from the Nano. Less cough-y, thanks to much cooler vapor, irrespective of draw length.

Not sure if that answered your question....

Splatterpop Circus

I do shorter draws on the Nano almost exclusively....of course I use it >7 most of the time, and usually 8ish. I never take draws more than 3 or 4 seconds on the Nano.

The FF requires long, slow draws. It's a completely different experience and approach from the Nano. Less cough-y, thanks to much cooler vapor, irrespective of draw length.

Not sure if that answered your question....
It helps, thanks! Sorry if I was unclear, I was asking about the FF2 so you covered what I wanted to know.

Thanks again for all your help.

OF

Based on your wish list I suggest you seriously consider ESV. I have many of the others suggested but as you've determined they are for the most part conduction with all that can bring to the party. GH is also convection of course, but ESV is available, and proven. It comes with 3 heat settings you adjust with 'an app' as you wish so your 'dual temperature' routine has a home as well. The vapor path is much longer (and therefore cooler) than GH as well.

It's designed to 'go cold' between hits, it's set up for 'a couple quick hits', it automatically heats very fast (a second or two) to working condition, you really don't notice it powers down completely.

You can also use a short piece of tube to couple one of the little bubblers used on 'vape pens' for even smoother use:
4o2FKQp.jpg

OF

RelaxedNow

I've found that the CFX handles small loads well. If used at higher temperatures and long sessions, it is definitely mostly conduction. However, I use the CFX mostly at 360F, taking just a few draws, then turn it off and take a few more. The extra draws provide light vapor, and I believe cool the unit down so the herb doesn't continue to cook through conduction. I may be wrong, but I believe this method actually keeps the CFX in the convection zone for the most part.

Also, some say the VapeXhale baskets add more convection to the CFX. I've ordered some, so I'll see for myself. However, I like it either way, as long as I don't crank the temperature too high.

Oh, I should mention that although it handles small loads well, I pack a full bowl, and am able to vape on it multiple times just fine. I might be wasting some herb, but I think it's minimal. I will admit though that smaller loads will provide better flavor, as you would be more frequently loading fresh herb.

Splatterpop Circus

I'll look into the ESV and CF more, I think I ruled them out earlier but I can't remember why 'cause my brain sucks.

I might just wait to see what the Indica O2 is like since it's supposed to be the successor to the ESV, and I'd like to see if the Firewood 4 improves on the stuff I don't like there, though it sounds like that won't be coming for quite a few months.

Thanks folks!

Top Bottom