Portable Dry Leaf/Herb Vaporizer w/ Strong Hits??

Status
Not open for further replies.

skiddaz

I hate starting another "what's the best vaporizer?" thread, but I believe my preferences for one aren't as universal. I've done a lot of research and there doesn't seem to be a consensus #1 portable vaporizer for flowers / dry herbs. When I say portable, I mean something that is somewhat pocketable. Doesn't have to be a pen or something terribly small.

Here's my criteria in order of importance. Would love to hear some suggestions.
  • Ability to truly vaporize dry herb / loose leaf / flowers (don't want to use oils or concentrates)
  • Strong hits or draws
  • Low resistance with draws (don't want to feel like I'm sucking a thick milkshake thru a straw)
  • Discrete (this is my least important criteria, but something reasonable)
I DO NOT care much about cost, efficiency, whether it uses a removable battery, or anything not listed above. I was leaning towards the Pax but from what I've read it has a pretty high draw resistance. The Persei looks like it takes strong hits, but I'm not sure if it handles flowers well and meets the other criteria. Would love to hear your input! Thanks

skiddaz,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

JCat

Accessory Maker
Problem is your "strong hits" and "low resistance" criteria go directly against the "discrete" criteria.

I've owned a MiniVAP, Solo, INH004, Cera, Pax, VaporGenie Glass Bat, Vapir NO2, ...

I am yet to find one that fits into the criteria you are after (its actually exactly what I'm after ... but haven't been able to find)

- Best discrete dry herb decently heavy hitting vaporizer I've tried is the INH. (the Solo is good, but has high resistance for draw but better taste than the INH)
- MiniVAP meets all of your criteria except discrete (which is why its my primary portable right now)

Because I haven't been able to find a discrete heavy hitting dry herb portable, I've settled for a non-discrete heavy hitting dry herb portable (MiniVAP) and use concentrates for discretion (my current setup is eGo C style battery with a ThermoVape Dart LV setup ... works great for when discretion is of essence ... everyone just thinks you're using an eCig)

I have high hopes for my Ascent though! Should be here next week with any luck!

skiddaz

Thanks for the reply. Very helpful info. I put discrete as being my least important quality, since I am willing to sacrifice some of that for having a good hard hitting, low resistance, dry herb vaporizer. The MiniVAP looks OK by my standards as for as portability and discreteness go. The INH is the Inhalater XP?

skiddaz,

JCat

Accessory Maker
Yes ... Inhalater's previous model was the Inhalater INH004 ... the new model is the Inhalater XP INH004 ... basically the same unit except more dependable from what I've read ... found the taste was not great out of the inhalator and it irritated my mouth at the temperatures I wanted for quick extraction unless using water or was great outdoors in the winter :)

I sold the Inhalater to help fund my Ascent purchase but up until that point, if discretion was required, I would use the Inhalater, if not, the MiniVAP is much heavier hitting, smoother, ...

JCat,

skiddaz

Cool. Thanks. Would love to hear how the Ascent works out. Maybe I should hold off and see.

Also, any suggestions on where to get the best deals on the Inhalater or MiniVAP to the US? (I see you're in Canada)

skiddaz,

JCat

Accessory Maker
For the MiniVAP, you could try vaporizeite.com (that's where I got mine). You might want to just go direct as well as I've heard good things for their pricing and International shipping etc.

I'll be posting my thoughts on the Ascent once I get it ... I doubt it will hit heavy like the MiniVAP, but I have high hopes for it being pretty decent. (the MiniVAP is the only portable I've ever tried where the hits compare to those of a plug-in device ... no matter how hard you draw the MiniVAP keeps up)

The biggest drawbacks for the MiniVAP for me are the size as well as the relatively long heat up time (5 minutes and it's good to go but 7-8 minute heat up time is ideal)

JCat,

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
The Original DaVinci really meets all your criteria . Great with Bud , Big hits , unrestricted draw and small size . it is a very high quality vape IMHO. Check into it , there is a reason some people are waiting on the ascent but a lot have no idea why it got all the attention in the first place.... The DaVinci Is An Awesome Vape .

RUDE BOY,

skiddaz

I should clarify and say that what I truly want are potent hits. Yes I'd prefer big clouds, but if the hit is more subtle but just as potent than that's truly what matters to me. I tried someone's portable vape and I felt like I was sucking so much and getting very little out of it. And it never really hit me.

skiddaz,
Reactions: Roger D

Katysax

One vaporizer is just not going to be everything. Design is always a tradeoff. I've tried a lot of vaporizers, and while it isn't discrete I believe the Arizer Solo is the best all around for herb and it is relatively inexpensive. There are enough aftermarket options for stems that it is possible to adjust the type of hit that you want to get. It's got shortcomings which I won't go into here - you can find them in the forum - but to me it delivers the best experience with the least struggle.

However, I'm not that fond of using it as a portable out of the house. It's a lot easier to use oil pens for discretion. For herb out of the house I tend to use the DaVinci - about which I have a lot of criticisms - but it is more discrete, gives good hits and to me is good enough. I don't vape very often out of the house though.

The MiniVap to me looks like an Arizer Solo on steroids. It's probably very good but it costs 5 times as much. It's still not going to be the end all and be all. Nothing is.

max

Out to lunch
I should clarify and say that what I truly want are potent hits. Yes I'd prefer big clouds, but if the hit is more subtle but just as potent than that's truly what matters to me. I tried someone's portable vape and I felt like I was sucking so much and getting very little out of it. And it never really hit me.
It would help to know what portable you tried, and what your vaping experience is. Many people find they have to adjust from smoke to vapor. The high isn't exactly the same. Vapor is much cleaner, and some of the smoke byproducts are mistakenly considered to be part of the mj experience, whereas they're really just related to the smoke itself.

Potent hits are pretty much the same as big clouds, in that both mean you're getting a lot of vapor. No vape is really capable of providing 'better' vapor than another. Some just make it easier to zero in on a particular temp and/or maintain a steady temp. And obviously small portables will have a lower ceiling on the size of hits you can get. You only get big clouds when you exhale a lot of vapor. If you hold a big hit long enough, there'll be little to no cloud of vapor on exhale.

Adobewan

@skiddaz I have to respectfully agree and disagree with my distinguished colleague JCat, I recommend the INH as well, but love the taste. Thinking he may have gotten a bad capsule.

Based on your criteria Skiddaz, my recommends, in order, would be:
-Solo- Not pocket friendly, but absolutely portable. Best clouds, killer price!
-Inhalater- Pocket friendly, big clouds, excellent extraction.
-Original Da Vinci- Pocket friendly, big clouds, beautiful finish, currently suffering serious sibling rivalry!!!
-I haven't used the Firewood, but from what I've read, I might put that here on the list(based purely on what I've read here on FC, not experience)
-I haven't used a Palm 2, nor a Battery Vapor Genie, but I would imagine they are worth considering.
-PAX- Although it cooks the load too much for my taste, it's the most pocket friendly and clouds abound!
-Once G gets the washers worked out on the Hercules attachment for the Persei, that may be a contender as well. He's done a revolutionary thing or two in the vape industry, interested to see where this one will land.
-?The Ascent? I'll let you know in a few days.

Adobewan,
Reactions: Katysax

vaporonly

living in a van down by the river
i'll add the thermovape T1 just because nobodies mentioned it and you can get clouds with it and it's an american made product using only the best materials.

vaporonly,

skiddaz

It would help to know what portable you tried, and what your vaping experience is. Many people find they have to adjust from smoke to vapor.

I have little to no vape experience. I mostly smoke at home, so I think I'm gonna go the route of getting a solid, affordable plugin vape, like the Da Buddha, and spring for a portable once I hone in on the right one. I guess more than anything I want to avoid frustration constantly puffing and not getting a strong enough hit where I feel a strong high.

All of your suggestions are a big help! I'm curious to see how the Ascent pans out, but for now I'm leaning towards the Inhalater XP once they overcome some of the reliability issues with the first 2 iterations of it.

skiddaz

COUGHsolodoesboth!

I guess I'm concerned about the draw resistance on the Solo. If I get a solid home unit that I use as my primary vape, then I can spring for a smaller, more stealthy portable vape that may fall short in other areas, since I won't be using it very often. I'd even consider the PAX (despite its higher draw resistance) since it is stealthy and small. But it seems to be a nightmare to clean, and why get it when I can get the Inhalater XP for the same price that offers much lower resistance?

skiddaz,

Enchantre

Oil Painter
I'm curious as to why no one has recommended the Magic Flight Launch Box, as a small, portable, easy to use, effective herb vape.

It does take a bit of technique to learn, but nothing really difficult. I found the draw on it to be quite easy, when I tried one. I'm just a klutz, and the battery thing bothered me. If it is not a bother, or you get the power adapter (PA), then no problem. At this point, I could probably use one without any problem. I gave mine to my son, who uses it frequently and loves it (he would otherwise smoke).

ou812?

Solo well rounded, get some glass,you can have your cake and eat it too w/solo, at home w/PA or on the road w/batts = awesome. I have a PN/WT ,stealth little water tube which 5 inches by 1 inch you can take anywhere for when Im out and about and there is no resistance w/ the tools IMO, seems to be the larger mouth piece and the extra volume just multiples the effort of your pull.I cannot begin to tell you how many other buds who saw mine have put volcano's away,Buddhas, etc only because of its fast heat up time and efficiency and all around ease of operation & clean. Plenty of options thru water, simple GONG and you can vape thru any water tool you desire It can do BOTH with ease, a work horse IMO great value by very reputable company in Canada, who stands behind it. BEST bang for your buck :rockon:

vapirtoo

Enchantre,
The OP wants a hard hitting vape.
The general consensus around here is that the LB is not that potent.
While I can make the LB do whatever I want ,from monster clouds-( wasteful )- to
oh so wispy hits, most people do not want deal with artistry, time honed technique
when they vape. They want to turn it on and let the vape flow. To each there own. :2c:

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Check Lotus and Vapman if you ask me :p ! Even with the use of torch u get stealthier experience than many other "big" battery portables and you get clean air (no butane inhaled ) so no health sacrificed ;)

Abysmal Vapor,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom