Poll: How Many People Think Legalization Is Just About Revenue?

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
how many of us think it's just about revenue.

We bandy about different reasons why it's kept illegal, and we know the official stances of the different government agencies, but could it just be about the buck?

they currently get over 80 billion a year on alcohol taxes

the rich have a smaller tax burden because that money comes mostly from the poor (or cuts across society)
bottom line, legalize weed and you seriously effect your relationship with the rich and your ability to collect revenue

and they get it by just marginalizing a villifiable percentage of the population

what do you think?

ps: "Costs" of Prohibition far outstrip the alcohol revenues i believe.

VWFringe,

gobbly

Don't forget about the thousands of people directly or indirectly employed by the DEA, the DOD anti narco budget, the billions in federal subsidies used to employ local narcotics enforcement, the billions spent on prisons to house drug offenders, the list goes on and on. Prohibition is big money, and we've lived in the United States of Money for quite a while now...

gobbly,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
gobbly said:
Don't forget about the thousands of people directly or indirectly employed by the DEA, the DOD anti narco budget, the billions in federal subsidies used to employ local narcotics enforcement, the billions spent on prisons to house drug offenders, the list goes on and on. Prohibition is big money, and we've lived in the United States of Money for quite a while now...

Thank you very much.

For as many jobs raising prohibition will create, a good handful will be lost from these folk as well. It sucks, but thats the price you gotta pay when you say 'Hey, this battle might be over but the war isnt'

AGBeer,

rotax

Zaporist
The $ our government makes w/ it illegal isn't as much as it'd make with it legal. And I'm factoring hemp, and all the possabilities that would add.
However, government can EMPLOY thousands w/o an income, since apparently debt is errelivant to government, and gov can continue to operate indefinitely w/o an income...because they have bigger guns.
But when gov and big pharm/doctors are in each others pockets/beds, big pharm has a LOT to lose from legalized cannabis.
Why would you be on 15 different prescriptions if all you had to do was use some cannabis, and have the side effect of being "hungry" or "blood shot eyes".. So maybe eye drop usage will increase.. But at least eye drops don't have side effects like suicidal thoughts/tendancies, or increased chances of this, or that, or the other..or who knows what else until 10 years later and they find people dying from the prescriptions they used for their acne, and so forth.

With legal cannabis distribution of wealth could change...or has the potential to. Farmers can make a buck once again.
With it illegal, rich stay rich, poor stay poor.

The almighty dollar (or currency in general) has ruined America and most of the world IMO.

The drug testing, the stigmas, the out right hate are all issues of prohibition.
A normal person can't even get a job anymore w/o a pee test, even if they were completely capable of doing so otherwise.
But you can be a chain coffee drinker/smoker, and get shit faced (drink alcohol) every night of the week if you want and get the same job.

Not only does America need legalization, but the world does too. After seeing how other countries/regions are treated in regards to marijuana, its quite simply a sad state. When your civilization/culture/religion etc relies on the cannabis plant (and i mean beyond the smoking of the herb), and because the USA says "cananabis is bad and we'll come and cut all your crops down, we dont care if its industrial or not"... Something is seriously wrong when a government has that power to control not only its own people, but the world in such a way. Let alone it being a government that claims to be the "Freeest" (is that a word?) and "Of the People".

While I can see why it still looks 'wrong' to some, to 'sell-out' and legalize/regulate/tax, its quite honestly a helluva lot better than its current state. But there is absolutely no option of it being completely free in this day n age. Comprimising will be required to move forward.

I think it being about Revenue is what will give legalization its best chance at this point. And I think thats honestly a very sad state to be in.

This is getting too long and I should stop ranting now...

~Legalize Friends, we need to come together as one, or we'll spend another 40 years in this same situation. Somethings gotta change.

rotax,

Qbit

cannabanana
And of course there's the pharmaceutical industry. Weed is far too easy and cheap to produce, and far too effective for treating various medical issues.

Qbit,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
OH, my, what if all the farmers switched to growing pot?

no more broccoli, gasp!

farmers all over the world are switching from local food crops to "cash crops"

--------------------------------------
there's several things here i didn't consider, thanks for the inputs

VWFringe,
Top Bottom