Plug in vapes?

lookhigh

FC member
Never was too interested in plug ins. Is there an easy to use on demand model that is plug in and ready to go?
Are they better than the top portables?

lookhigh,

howie105

Never was too interested in plug ins. Is there an easy to use on demand model that is plug in and ready to go?
Are they better than the top portables? .... Plug ins can have different sets of features, strengths and weaknesses in comparisons to portables. Are those different better or worse, that is up to the user to decide. With that in mind, would you change about your portable vape experience?

Last edited:

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
I only have experience with a log, but yes I think in some ways they are better than portables. After powering them on they take a few minutes (I go with 10 to be sure things are up to temp) to heat soak and get everything to thermal equilibrium, but after that they're the definition of instant on demand. Plenty of people leave theirs on 24/7, I just power mine off overnight as its rare that I can wake and bake anyway when its not a weekend.

There is also the convenience factor and money savings of not needing to charge or replace batteries. I get along fine with my TP80 by having a 4 bay charger and 5 18650s (overkill for me, probably, but if I have friends over its more realistic). I could see rotating through batteries being rather a pita for a heavier user than me, and regardless batteries have a finite life span, so while its wonderful that these are replaceable at ~$5 a battery there's a small but ongoing cost here that I don't have to pay with my log.

The one thing I haven't seen a desktop offer just yet is the ability to quickly change temps the way my TP80 can. I love temp stepping with it, but that just isn't viable with my log. Most of the time I kill the small amount I pack in a single does, but if I wanted to start at 365 then move up to 385 then finish at 405 I'd need to wait a few minutes between adjusting the voltage for things to get back to equilibrium. I don't know the desktop market in depth though, maybe someone can tell me about an option offering this that I've missed. Personally I still think having my log is worthwhile for microdosing efficiency.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
I only have experience with a log, but yes I think in some ways they are better than portables. After powering them on they take a few minutes (I go with 10 to be sure things are up to temp) to heat soak and get everything to thermal equilibrium, but after that they're the definition of instant on demand. Plenty of people leave theirs on 24/7, I just power mine off overnight as its rare that I can wake and bake anyway when its not a weekend.

There is also the convenience factor and money savings of not needing to charge or replace batteries. I get along fine with my TP80 by having a 4 bay charger and 5 18650s (overkill for me, probably, but if I have friends over its more realistic). I could see rotating through batteries being rather a pita for a heavier user than me, and regardless batteries have a finite life span, so while its wonderful that these are replaceable at ~$5 a battery there's a small but ongoing cost here that I don't have to pay with my log.

The one thing I haven't seen a desktop offer just yet is the ability to quickly change temps the way my TP80 can. I love temp stepping with it, but that just isn't viable with my log. Most of the time I kill the small amount I pack in a single does, but if I wanted to start at 365 then move up to 385 then finish at 405 I'd need to wait a few minutes between adjusting the voltage for things to get back to equilibrium. I don't know the desktop market in depth though, maybe someone can tell me about an option offering this that I've missed. Personally I still think having my log is worthwhile for microdosing efficiency.

The now over 10 year old Arizer Extreme Q, has a digital readout, and you can temp step. I just ordered one, as they can be found for under $125.00.

RustyOldNail,
Reactions: lookhigh

gordontreeman

The now over 10 year old Arizer Extreme Q, has a digital readout, and you can temp step. I just ordered one, as they can be found for under $125.00.
Can you temp step in a reasonable time frame though? With the tp80 and similar mod-based vapes you can go from 360 to 380 almost instantly as the coils are relatively low mass. I can change the setting on my log like that, but it needs to reach thermal equilibrium at 380 before it’s really ready (e.g. the heater, cover, and in theory part of the body all need to stabilize at whatever temp they reach before they stop pulling heat/energy that ultimately comes from the air out of it). I would suspect that the arizer eq needs a few minutes to stabilize as well.

RustyOldNail

Can you temp step in a reasonable time frame though? With the tp80 and similar mod-based vapes you can go from 360 to 380 almost instantly as the coils are relatively low mass. I can change the setting on my log like that, but it needs to reach thermal equilibrium at 380 before it’s really ready (e.g. the heater, cover, and in theory part of the body all need to stabilize at whatever temp they reach before they stop pulling heat/energy that ultimately comes from the air out of it). I would suspect that the arizer eq needs a few minutes to stabilize as well.

I haven’t received it yet. But like most of these, heat soaking helps. This is an old AC wall powered unit, so can’t be directly compared to a TP80, or my RBA’s, or MODPOD.

Chainfish

Have always been of the opinion that the only bonus to a portable vape was portability and vape quality was always secondary to a plug in vape. Most of the good ones require leaving plugged in to achieve the on demand bit, but power wise there's no comparison. A da buddha is about 150usd so nowhere near top end, that plugged in @ temp, what portable would beat?

RustyOldNail

Have always been of the opinion that the only bonus to a portable vape was portability and vape quality was always secondary to a plug in vape. Most of the good ones require leaving plugged in to achieve the on demand bit, but power wise there's no comparison. A da buddha is about 150usd so nowhere near top end, that plugged in @ temp, what portable would beat?

My Tinymight is probably my best convection vape, and is very portable. It heats up super fast, as close as ON DEMAND currently. I’m surprised no one has sourced out where the TM heaters are made....?

gordontreeman

I haven’t received it yet. But like most of these, heat soaking helps. This is an old AC wall powered unit, so can’t be directly compared to a TP80, or my RBA’s, or MODPOD.
Yeah I can't speak to what is all out there, but that was the only point I was making--aside from portability, a big advantage that I see in some portables is the truly "instant" nature of their heat up allowing for temp stepping to be more practical. Taking a hit at temp a from my woodscents and then stepping up to temp b would mean at least a few minutes of waiting for temp equilibrium

Otherwise I'm inclined to agree with @Chainfish. Top portables will definitely get you excellent vapor quality (probably the equal of some desktops), its just that dollar for dollar most desktops can do it for a lot less. Arguably once you get into Vapdong/FP/E-43 territory the desktops eclipse portables, at least in their ability to evenly extract larger bowls, but I can't make that claim from personal experience.

Bad Dog

Yeah I pissed on the rug...... so what
I own a few of the top plugins and portables so I might as well say a little. I really depends on your usage OP? Are you a flavor chaser ? Or combustion line high temp vaper? What's your ideal size bowl? Do you want to take a hit and walk away or session a whole bowl? Ext.ext.

my favorite vape is my tinymight but my best vape is my VRod? Confused?!? Yes! Love my tinymight because it's basically ready when I am at a moments notice, has a very good efficiency at my preferred load size of .05 but I go up to .1 though it can do bigger loads just not super well imo. My original use was one hitters before I fell in love with temp stepping, really love the versatility and flexibility of the tinymight ❤️ it's a vape that can change and evolve with your habits.

So why do I think the VRod is a better vape? It also does a great job with my preferred load and better job with a larger one. It's also flexible doing herb and concentrate excellently and equally well and great efficiency from just a dusting on the screen to a full load.

So why isn't it My favorite? Is it just the heat up time? Won't lie the convenience factor of the nearly instant vapour at any given time without having to have on all day 🤔 does go a long way in why the tinymight is my favorite. Tinymight is also safer to be around so long as you practice some basic battery safety, that said I've burned myself a grand total of once with the Flowerpot so again a little common sense and precautionary approach go a long way to omit any perceived dangers. As I eluded earlier my habits are changing and how I use all my vapes has changed over time, if I were still a heavier user and needed the thickest density vapour riding that combustion line...... VRod all the way! But at the load size and temps I use now performance is very similar between the two, only the vape signature is really any different? So with such similar vapour the convenience of the tinymight wins the day for me but I'm very glad to have my VRod for when I do want to go up that next level here and there.

Hopefully you can glean some pearl of wisdom from the rambling of this madman

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
Sometimes when pulling on my tinymight I wonder if I should have bought my flowerpot it's that good.... paired with a decent stem/j hook it offers tasty cool vape nigh on instantly....

Then I fire up the fp and after 15 mins heat soak I can have a blast of the tastiest vape I have ever experienced. Flavour profiles pop out and a back ground sweetness has me reaching for another bowl ...

I then congratulate myself on having the foresight to purchase my fp before availablity and prices in the EU made it harder still to own one.....

With price and difficulty of purchasing in EU now I would go for one of those beautiful vapbongs. I've promised myself one for Christmas or next year......

I don't expect any improvements on vapour quality, I just fancy a useable work of art....

passenger

is this thing on?
I call my Tetra P80 Vapbong (sorry, Aromatizer...) in a pocket. But still, the Vapbong takes the cake in comparison- but the Tetra is so fast and convenient to use that it is quite the achievement in the portable area. Does the Vapbong have stronger effects? I would argue it does! The gap is not so very huge though.

lookhigh

FC member
I own a few of the top plugins and portables so I might as well say a little. I really depends on your usage OP? Are you a flavor chaser ? Or combustion line high temp vaper? What's your ideal size bowl? Do you want to take a hit and walk away or session a whole bowl? Ext.ext.

my favorite vape is my tinymight but my best vape is my VRod? Confused?!? Yes! Love my tinymight because it's basically ready when I am at a moments notice, has a very good efficiency at my preferred load size of .05 but I go up to .1 though it can do bigger loads just not super well imo. My original use was one hitters before I fell in love with temp stepping, really love the versatility and flexibility of the tinymight ❤️ it's a vape that can change and evolve with your habits.

So why do I think the VRod is a better vape? It also does a great job with my preferred load and better job with a larger one. It's also flexible doing herb and concentrate excellently and equally well and great efficiency from just a dusting on the screen to a full load.

So why isn't it My favorite? Is it just the heat up time? Won't lie the convenience factor of the nearly instant vapour at any given time without having to have on all day 🤔 does go a long way in why the tinymight is my favorite. Tinymight is also safer to be around so long as you practice some basic battery safety, that said I've burned myself a grand total of once with the Flowerpot so again a little common sense and precautionary approach go a long way to omit any perceived dangers. As I eluded earlier my habits are changing and how I use all my vapes has changed over time, if I were still a heavier user and needed the thickest density vapour riding that combustion line...... VRod all the way! But at the load size and temps I use now performance is very similar between the two, only the vape signature is really any different? So with such similar vapour the convenience of the tinymight wins the day for me but I'm very glad to have my VRod for when I do want to go up that next level here and there.

Hopefully you can glean some pearl of wisdom from the rambling of this madman
I am a flavor snob but looking for a vape that i can use straight away as soon as it is plugged in.

lookhigh,

passenger

is this thing on?
The Herborizer DigiTi should reach temp in a minute. But others have to verify that, mine has not arrived yet.

passenger,
Reactions: lookhigh

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I am a flavor snob but looking for a vape that i can use straight away as soon as it is plugged in.

Heat Islands only take about 5 minutes to warm up depending on the configuration... It is tough to use most plug-in vapes straight away after plugging it in, most are equilibrium vapes that need to get warmed up thoroughly to work to their full potential. Maybe you can try Hopper IO with MaxVaporPA set up, that would be the fastest plugin, in my experience at least!

gordontreeman

Yeah I have to agree with @Shit Snacks, not aware of any desktops that are ready to go as soon as they are fired on (Ed also claims 5 minutes for the woodscents up to 6 or 7 on the stock dial, I just prefer to err on the side of caution and give it 10).

Again, though, while I don't leave my log on 24/7 a toooooooon of users do. That would offer what you're describing aside from whenever you do power it off.

Bad Dog

Yeah I pissed on the rug...... so what
For desktops something like the addition of a smart plug can really add to the convenience if you don't want to run 24/7. Simply set to go off 10 minutes before your alarm clock and you can roll out of bed and wake and vape instantly! Or set it to go off 10 minutes before you get home from work or just activate it by wifi when you're close, and night time off time is also a good idea so if you forget to turn it off it can shut off a hour after you typically go to bed 😁

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I just can't fathom why anyone would have a problem with a ten minute heat up time. I mean, it takes me at least that much time to get my work clothes off and get comfortable when I get home.

But, if you are that impatient, then just get a smart plug like @Bad Dog said above. You can then turn it on and let it heat soak ten minutes before you get home, or otherwise ten minutes before you plan to use it...and you wouldn't have any wait time at all then.

Last edited:

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Just don’t ass-dial your home vape when you’re out with your on the go.

I've never ass-dialed a smart plug.

First, the phone would have to be ass-unlocked.
Second, the app would have to be ass-opened, even though it's on the second page of the home screen.
Then the proper button in the app would have to be ass-tapped.

Not gonna happen.
And even if it did, many people leave these vapes on 24-hours a day, and they don't have problems when on the go.

ChooChooCharlie

New-Vape-New-Twax-Presso.jpg

Top Bottom