Please recommend a vaporizer for small quantities, super safe, etc.

MoeOnTheMoon

Medical Marijuana Activist
Company Rep
Okay, I HAVE read about various vaporizers and I have yet to see the ONE that fits my needs specifically. Frankly, being new to vapes, it's overwhelming to look at dozens of models and choose the ONE to buy for a first vaporizer. So I hope I'm not too out of line by asking such a personally specific question.

Here's my deal: I have been smoking off and on for 40 years. But at this point I use a very small amount per day, I have a medical marijuana "prescription" (recommendation from doctor) and have only used a vaporizer once - the Volcano. Loved it but can't afford it and it seems to require a bigger quantity of mj than I prefer to use.

I can afford up to $225 or so but would prefer to spend much less if possible.

I currently smoke the tiniest bit of mj in a tiny bowl in a water pipe. I mean I use so little that most users laugh at me like, "Are you serious? You can't get high off of that!" :D I use what is probably about a 30th (?) of a gram or so per session. One medium sized hit (smoking) usually does me just fine and I generally just have one - sometimes 2 hits - in the evening.

So my main concern - beyond health factors like no toxic substances in the vaporizer's construction - is that it will work well with a TINY amount of herb. When I used the Volcano I had to put way more in it than I wanted - the guy at the dispensary said it needed like 1/10 of a gram. So that's more than twice - maybe 3 times the amount I normally use. I got like 4 big hits out of it but I really only want one or two...

The Purple Days sounds great BUT I don't want a half an hour warm up time, and I don't use it enough to warrant leaving it ON all day.

I liked the Silver Surfer reviews but it sounds like (?) it requires more quantity to be loaded in than I want to use.

I was thinking of a Genie but does that give a TRUE vapor experience? I've heard some say it often burns the mj and tastes like burnt popcorn. Otherwise, if it were a really GOOD vaporizer that would be a good choice for me probably. No?

Also I've read issues like some of the vaporizers can have the mj fall down into it and I don't want one like that.

Maybe there's one out there I have not yet heard about that would be perfect for my needs. So that's why I'm asking here...

So I guess EFFICIENCY and SAFETY of materials are the main concern. For example, one question I have about safety is the Whips. I have been reading about how terrible vinyl is and not sure I want to suck vapor through vinyl, "food grade" or not... I'm more comfortable with avoiding Vinyl altogether.

I guess if the Purple Days didn't have a 30 min. warmup I would highly consider it. It does work well with very small amounts, right? But the 30 min. warmup is a deal breaker for me, I think.

Thanks for reading this and thanks for any specific recommendations or further info!

MoeOnTheMoon,

leozdad

Leaving the PD on 24/7 only uses the amount of electric that a nightlight uses and at .025g per stem, the herb savings alone pays for the electric bill. And besides when not in use you can use the diffuser cup to make your space smell nice, so you aren't really wasting electric. I highly recommend a PD for your needs :2c: :peace:

leozdad,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I would 2nd Leozdad! The PD really does use such tiny amounts that it would work very well for your needs I think. You can also plug it into a timer so it is only on during certain hours. There is no learning curve.

If the PD is still not calling your name... What about the Magic Flight Launch Box? You don't have to load the trenches very full so you could use very small amounts. It might take a tiny bit of learning curve, i.e. when to pull the battery, etc. but it is an effective little device.

I still would say the PD but gotta have options :) Good luck!

Lo,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
leozdad said:
Leaving the PD on 24/7 only uses the amount of electric that a nightlight uses and at .025g per stem, the herb savings alone pays for the electric bill. And besides when not in use you can use the diffuser cup to make your space smell nice, so you aren't really wasting electric. I highly recommend a PD for your needs :2c: :peace:
Thanks to all, for the quick answers. I really do love the design of the PD, as far as the way it looks and it seems he has the safety issues covered. A bit more than I WANT to spend but maybe worth it?

As to the Iolite, it's a bit too far over my budget... So far you're convincing me the PD is worth it... The only thing that bothers me is if I don't leave it on all the time and want to do my thing and then have to WAIT half an hour! Ugh! So I guess I'd just HAVE to leave it on...

And leaving it on day after day after day does not wear out the heating element? (I would probably get a timer and have it turn itself on in the evening and off at night.

I have already ordered a genie but am thinking of sending it back before I open it, I just feel like I'd rather have something that doesn't require a lighter.

MoeOnTheMoon,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
Uh oh... The final deal breaker on the PD:
There is a WAITING LIST OF 9+ weeks on it right now! Hell, that's a life time! Sounds like they need to get some help making these things!

So... ??

MoeOnTheMoon,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
get yourself a PD, and a vaporgenie for the time spent while you wait for the PD... :D
the long wait is worth it for the PD.... i rarely use my iolite anymore, just my PD and my lighter based vapes

DevoTheStrange,

lwien

MoeOnTheMoon said:
And leaving it on day after day after day does not wear out the heating element?
Nope. Actually, having the heating element heat up and then cool down probably puts more stress on it than keeping it at a relatively constant temp. Tom has some of his originals that he has never turned off and they are doing just fine..............years later.

lwien,

dadesign

pd it is even suggested to put it on a timer if you are concerned with the 4 wats per hour usageby leaving it plugged in 24/7

a bowl or stem uses about the same amount as you might waste by dropping it on the floor when loading a bong. a true pinch really. even if you pack it full you can use it through out the day

dadesign,

reece

The PD is designed to operate 24/7. When it isn't needed for medication, leave the diffuser cup on top. It doesn't use much electricity at all.

You could use silicone tubing instead of vinyl.

As for vapes with larger bowls, you don't have to take any more hits than you want to. That said, I can't seem to accomplish this seemingly simple task. I tell myself I'm done. Next thing you know the whole bowl is finished and I'm way more medicated than I set out to be.

Have you checked out the Magic Flight Launch Box? It is rechargeable-battery powered but they are working on a home unit to power the box without batteries. It is very efficient and I have used tiny amounts, that one would not be able to use with a PD. Warm up time is a few seconds. You can put it in your pocket and it fits in the palm of your hand. Lifetime warranty. It shouldn't be used with oils or kif, but they also have another product, the Launch Tube, that does.

Good luck.

reece,

MK

If you are worried about the wait time on the PD, check out the Myrtlezap. Similar design and function, but will be at your doorstep in a bit over a week after ordering.

MK,

lwien

MK said:
If you are worried about the wait time on the PD, check out the Myrtlezap. Similar design and function, but will be at your doorstep in a bit over a week after ordering.
Similar but not the same. Both good vapes though. Just make sure you read up on both so you understand what the differences are.

lwien,

josh

It sounds like the MFLB would benefit your situation. I still recommend the PD though.

josh,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Either the Lb or PD/MZ would suit you well. I own both.

PD/MZ Plugged in or on timer, always ready to go, and the bowl is the exact size you requested.

LB can always be ready to go and works well with small amounts.

LB and MZ might need to be researched by you so you can make a informed decision on what is inside these guys. That being said, I have no issues with either of them, for occasional use like you need it. My :2c:

IAmKrazy2,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
Thanks for all the suggestions...

I looked into the myrtlezap and even though it probably is true what is said about the lead not being an issue in the brass because it doesn't heat enough, I just don't like the idea of it. Probably silly but maybe they need to think about changing that just to make paranoid consumers "feel better" about it...? Also, I do not like the 90 day warranty. If they really believe in their warranty and are only worried about a few people returning them becuase "they don't like it", then I say make the returns and extend the warranty to match the PD. I think they'd sell more if they made the above 2 changes. But who am I? Just my humble opinion and suggestion based on my own "feelings" about that product.

I don't want to spend that much on the Iolite so I guess it's now between:
a) the launch box
b) the genie
c) the PD 9+? weeks from now

I'm still open to other suggestions but based on the above, this is my choice so far. I'll probably decide after I get my genie in a day or two. If I am happy with it (after the learning curve) then I will probably just decide to order and wait patiently (?) on the PD. If I don't like the genie and need something quick, then it's back to the drawing board.

Appreciate all the suggestions.

MoeOnTheMoon,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
reece said:
The PD is designed to operate 24/7. When it isn't needed for medication, leave the diffuser cup on top. It doesn't use much electricity at all.

You could use silicone tubing instead of vinyl.

As for vapes with larger bowls, you don't have to take any more hits than you want to. That said, I can't seem to accomplish this seemingly simple task. I tell myself I'm done. Next thing you know the whole bowl is finished and I'm way more medicated than I set out to be.

Have you checked out the Magic Flight Launch Box? It is rechargeable-battery powered but they are working on a home unit to power the box without batteries. It is very efficient and I have used tiny amounts, that one would not be able to use with a PD. Warm up time is a few seconds. You can put it in your pocket and it fits in the palm of your hand. Lifetime warranty. It shouldn't be used with oils or kif, but they also have another product, the Launch Tube, that does.

Good luck.
Thanks for the tip re silicon instead of vinyl. I'm really not familiar with the difference between vinyl and "food grade vinyl". Maybe by being food grade there is no danger to health? When it comes to FDA issues I am always a little skeptical of what they insure us is "safe". The FDA has a long history of making mistakes and later - after people get sick and die - they say, "Oops! Sorry!" Or as in the case with many things currently approved, that are not safe, they just insist they're right because the proof isn't quite there yet. So if there's ANY question about it and there are safer alternatives, I go for the alternatives.

I am leaning towards the launch box at this point. But I have a genie on the way so I'll see if it is suitable for me. I now regret ordering it but I had not discovered this forum yet.

MoeOnTheMoon,

josh

You haven't used it yet so you may be able to return it. Not sure where you got it from but they might also sell the LB. If not there is a reseller thread you can post it in or try to ebay it or sell it to a friend or keep it for a back-up in case you ever lose power for an extended period of time. The reason I kept mine in fact. I figure if we get a hurricane and power is out for a long time I can frustrate myself to death trying to get high with the damn thing. The main thing I don't like about the VG is you have to get the flame right. I am not able to get consistently good hits but there are many who can. With the PD and the LB there is less of a learning curve IMO, way less with the PD. The LB will do you right as long as you have good batteries. The ones they send are nice, but the energizers I have suck. There are several other after-market batteries that work well also.

josh,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
josh said:
You haven't used it yet so you may be able to return it. Not sure where you got it from but they might also sell the LB. If not there is a reseller thread you can post it in or try to ebay it or sell it to a friend or keep it for a back-up in case you ever lose power for an extended period of time. The reason I kept mine in fact. I figure if we get a hurricane and power is out for a long time I can frustrate myself to death trying to get high with the damn thing. The main thing I don't like about the VG is you have to get the flame right. I am not able to get consistently good hits but there are many who can. With the PD and the LB there is less of a learning curve IMO, way less with the PD. The LB will do you right as long as you have good batteries. The ones they send are nice, but the energizers I have suck. There are several other after-market batteries that work well also.
I've had some experience vaporizing other substances with flames in the past so I am pretty sure I'll be able to do it. So I'll probably keep the genie just to use if I go camping or visit a friend or otherwise need a portable. IF I could have exchanged it for a launch box I might have done so... I think I can only return it for an EXCHANGE and the site I bought it at does not sell the launch box so I'm screwed there. I could take a loss and re-sell it I guess, IF someone would buy it... Have to consider this option...

Question: with the launch box, it uses AA batteries, right? So, wouldn't rechargeable NIMh batteries work? Or no?

I am about ready to accept the wait (I HATE waiting!) and order a PD... I mean, jeez, NINE weeks, that's outrageous. I could see 4 weeks or so, but... Nine weeks takes us up to CHRISTMAS! And though they say 9 weeks, who knows, it could be 12 or 16...

MoeOnTheMoon,

ExactlyWrong

Very satisfied genie user here to add a little to this discussion. I have used my genie for close to a year now and I can't tell you how much i love it. I can take it anywhere. My summer consisted of many vaping sessions on the go. Me and a few select friends (friends that also had genies) would always go hiking or longboarding and vape on trails, back roads, wherever. It doesn't matter with the genie. There was a learning curve and yes, my few first times resulted in burnt popcorn or no hit at all, but that did not last long. I now consistently get large hits and don't remember the last time i burnt my herb. I personally really enjoy the taste from the genie.

With all this said the PD does sound better for your needs. Just don't throw the genie down the river. You may just enjoy it.

ExactlyWrong,

lwien

The Genie was my very first vape, but when I got the PD, there were two differences that became very obvious to me.

The PD tasted a bunch better than the Genie
and
The PD is twice as efficient as the Genie

lwien,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
dadesign, you mean you can vape the stuff left over in the VG, with the PD? or you vape the stuff left over in the PD, with the VG? (The answer is probably obvious to anyone but a newbie. Sorry.)

MoeOnTheMoon,

dadesign

yeah sorry you can vape the ABV with the vaporgenie but here it takes some practice.. still I hear it compliments it well plan on getting one soon for just that reason

dadesign,
Top Bottom