Pirates and what to do with them

Purple-Days

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8675978.stm

Poor old pirates stole more chain than they could swim with. :cool:

When I heard they had a Russian ship and the Russian Navy was on the way, I said to Pam, "this won't go good for the pirates."

Then they just let them go? Uhh, didn't sound Russian till I heard this final report. :lol: :2c:

Purple-Days,

Ammonite310

All captured pirates (specifically those who are armed and captured after having boarded a ship) should be executed, plain and simple.

Can anyone give a logical reason why the taxpayers of any nation should be forced to pay for a trial and housing (prison) for these criminals?

They contribute nothing to their nation, to the international community, or to their own people. They seek only to further their own status at the expense of others. There is no room for that kind of selfishness, particularly when their country of origin is as war-ravaged as it is.

That being said, more money and military aid needs to be sent to Somalia's Transitional Federal Government (TFG) to help them destroy al-Shabab and Hizbul Islam. The TFG may be Islamists as well but they are of a more moderate strain.

Also, the overfishing/toxic waste dumping that is done on Somalia's coastlines by foreign ships needs to end. Persons caught in the act should have their ships confiscated and be stranded on the Somali mainland, or they should meet the same fate as the pirates, it doesn't matter to me. Garbage in, garbage out.

Ammonite310,

quomist

Rock the Casbah
Good idea. Leave them in an inflatable boat and let scurvy finish them off....Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

quomist,

lwien

Do ya think that they may have punctured a hole in that inflatable before setting them adrift? :cool:

lwien,

Purple-Days

"Dos vedanya, Tovarisch!". I bet the word is out that you don't touch a Russian ship.

For some real seamanship, check this guy out:
http://1000days.net/home/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1
He hasn't seen land for 1400+ days. Getting a bit crazy maybe, but that's OK, he's heading home, if he can catch some wind... His whole story is neat including how he built his own boat for this adventure. He has been capsized and had other difficulties, but has made it un-re-supplied. :cool:

Purple-Days,

flanman

there's a rumor going around that the commando's executed the pirates point blank and then put them back in the boat. i'll see if i can find where i read it

flanman,

steiner666

Serial vapist
I think their decision was fair, pretty much the modern version of having them walk the plank. They knew the risks of what they were doing when they boarded the ship.

steiner666,

SSS

mmj patient under siege by the obama admin
Purple-Days said:
"Dos vedanya, Tovarisch!". I bet the word is out that you don't touch a Russian ship.

For some real seamanship, check this guy out:
http://1000days.net/home/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1
He hasn't seen land for 1400+ days. Getting a bit crazy maybe, but that's OK, he's heading home, if he can catch some wind... His whole story is neat including how he built his own boat for this adventure. He has been capsized and had other difficulties, but has made it un-re-supplied. :cool:
great link. i'm surprised that i somehow missed this in wired magazine. thanks!

SSS,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
I say remove an eyeball of theirs with a spoon. Then chop off one of their legs at the knee.

This would give them an excuse to wear an eye patch and a peg leg (before we make them walk the plank)

You wanna be 'pirates'? We will treat you like pirates.

AGBeer,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
StickyShisha said:
Do they also need a hook?
Yeah, as long as its their left hand. (If youve ever been to one of these countries you would know what I speak of)

AGBeer,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Well, its people like this who are actually committing acts of violence at the expense of others that piss me off. I spent a good deal of time in the gulf working ops in which we stopped smugglers of embargoed countries/states. Most of these people were just regular family folk doing what they could to provide (albeit at a great risk) nothing was violent - at least when I was boarding/driving these ships. I guess as tensions rose we had the incident with the USS Peterson sailors (RIP My fellow Shipmates) But still, these smugglers (while doing something 'wrong') never did shit that was violent and tried to capitalize at someone elses expense. (With violence that is)

AGBeer,

SmokieMcP

AGBeer
Zuckin Footed

I am new. That's the first time I saw that title and it caused a coughing fit. Thanks a lot, asshole. LMAO.

SmokieMcP,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
SmokieMcP said:
AGBeer
Zuckin Footed

I am new. That's the first time I saw that title and it caused a coughing fit. Thanks a lot, asshole. LMAO.
My pleasure :)

Welcome to the fam bud.

AGBeer,
Top Bottom