PID controllers tripping GFCI outlet breakers?

staircase slight of hand

Anyone else has any issues with PID controller tripping their outlet breakers? My new Crossing Tech controller is causing the breaker to trip when left on for more than 10 minutes or so, and I’m curious as to whether this is a known phenomena with a fix or if i should be calling my electrician.

staircase slight of hand,

Easywider

Simple is the way
I had this issue a cpl times, each time it was my coil going bad. Swapping out the coil solved it.

1st time it happened it would trip during heat up, could not get past 400f before it tripped.

2nd time the coil would get to temp but them trip GFI after 4-5mins.

Finessseee

You in a new house / apartment? Had the same issue in my new apartment. PS5 kept tripping my breaker too so I returned it lol. Eventually requested maintenance to come out and replace the breaker switch itself and haven’t had a single trip since.

Finessseee,
Reactions: Easywider

Easywider

Simple is the way
You in a new house / apartment? Had the same issue in my new apartment. PS5 kept tripping my breaker too so I returned it lol. Eventually requested maintenance to come out and replace the breaker switch itself and haven’t had a single trip since.

Yeah I've had this happen in a cottage rental as well, only one outlet in the place would work due to some electrical wiring issues.

Easywider,

staircase slight of hand

You in a new house / apartment?

Nope, but it’s a porch outlet that we’ve rarely used. The thing that surprised me about it is that we let our condo’s construction team use it for some high powered tools a few months ago and it seemed to work fine for them, and it seems like their tools would have been applying at least as much load as a single coil.

staircase slight of hand,
Reactions: Finessseee

Finessseee

Nope, but it’s a porch outlet that we’ve rarely used. The thing that surprised me about it is that we let our condo’s construction team use it for some high powered tools a few months ago and it seemed to work fine for them, and it seems like their tools would have been applying at least as much load as a single coil.
Maybe they overheated the circuit? What happened with ours is that we basically fried the circuit using an electric fireplace and then kept having breaker flipping issues until it was replaced

Finessseee,

Madtater

Could be the gfi outlet going bad as well.

I had one that popped all the time when in use. Changed the outlet and didnt happen anymore.

Electrical outlets in general do not last forever.

fubar

Ancient and opiniated inhaler
The thing that surprised me about it is that we let our condo’s construction team use it for some high powered tools a few months ago and it seemed to work fine for them
GFCI outlets can trip for two very different reasons.
Like ordinary breakers, they flip when there's too much current draw = overloaded circuit.
Their special sauce is detecting current "leaking" to earth - a so called ground fault - the GF in GFCI - that could be your feet on bare earth while you hold some live wires for example :doh: - designed to save your life by turning the circuit off at the switchboard.

Your construction workers probably have regularly inspected gear that doesn't have either leakage or overload so no reason for the GFCI to trip.

OTOH, the PID switches the coil directly in and out of the 110v (or 240v in my case in Australia) circuit. When the resistance coil is hot, it draws a little more current but I'd guess it's probably not overloading the circuit because they usually only draw a few hundred watts at most.

More likely some residual current leaking to earth tripping the GFCI - either from the coil itself or the electro-mechanical relays and controllers of the PID. If you can swap a known good coil or PID you may be able to figure out which is leaking.

tl;dr might be a faulty earth leaking coil or controller - whatever it is, best find one that does not leak for your safety.

Last edited:
Top Bottom