philosophy thread

mlid

hey just thought about making this thread. i love talking about philosophical things and seeing peoples perspective on things. So first do you guys think we have a purpose? or were just here and thats that?

mlid,

bcleez

No purpose other than reproduction. We are here just like the 1 celled organism is here. Evolution. Still evolving.

bcleez,

mlid

yep thats what i think. i don't believe in a greater cause only science. its weird to think that were in the process of natural selection .

mlid,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
Whoah philosophy. Cool. I got a degree in that 15 years ago.

I know you're talking about something else but I had the time, money and a boss that would let me work whatever hours I wanted as a lab tech (as long as the job got done) so I could get a second degree.

Tom

tdavie,

bcleez

This might sound very cold-hearted but natural selection really isn't happening with homosapiens any more and that is a big problem.

One of our main goals as humans should be space exploration and spreading ourselves throughout the universe. The clock is really ticking on our time on Earth. There are not enough resources for 10 or 20 BILLION people. Estimates are around 10 billion by 2050! Here come the water wars.

bcleez,

indigal

Amongst the corn
Agreed that we wonderfully evolved this consciousness, which allows us to have the empathic abilities & self serving motives to form (mostly) functional societies. I don't believe we have a purpose, other than what we individually & collectively impose. However, that outlook doesn't preclude me from experiencing awe.

One of my feelings is that we are individuals and a society, the only purpose we have is ours and the purpose the collective unconscious gives us. If you grok that sort of stuff..

indigal,

bcleez

Yes our societies are kind of based on how cruel we can be to each other, and our fear of true human nature. So we created these rules to protect us from ourselves.

bcleez,

indigal

Amongst the corn
bcleez said:
This might sound very cold-hearted but natural selection really isn't happening with homosapiens any more and that is a big problem.

One of our main goals as humans should be space exploration and spreading ourselves throughout the universe. The clock is really ticking on our time on Earth. There are not enough resources for 10 or 20 BILLION people. Estimates are around 10 billion by 2050! Here come the water wars.
To the first part- perhaps maybe we are. With all the chemical assaults and whatnot, like roaches, we may be weeding out the genetically weaker to end up a species that can survive.

The second part- I think an unsteady, possibly unpleasant balance will be maintained on earth either through natural or man made catastrophes. On the space thoughts, I've always been intrigued with the thought- but who realistically will be the ones to be the pioneers and settlers in the new worlds? The fittest, smartest? Richest?

indigal,

indigal

Amongst the corn
bcleez said:
Yes our societies are kind of based on how cruel we can be to each other, and our fear of true human nature. So we created these rules to protect us from ourselves.
I see it as more of a troop of monkeys or birds. Together in an organized society we reap the benefits of one anothers work and resources, and derive a sort of uneasy protection from the social "norms" that are observed to keep the peace.

indigal,
Kurt Vonnegut Jr. wrote some pretty amazing shit and his treatments of religion and societal norms are pretty well documented. One thing has stuck with me for decades since reading "The Sirens Of Titan." In it, the main religion on Earth is the "Church of God the Utterly Indifferent." One of the liturgies is "I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all..."

I frickin' love that.

Howie Feltersnatch,

bcleez

Indigal. The fittest & The smartest that enter the military will be the ones who get to populate the moon and mars. That is how most countries pick their astronauts. Sure they will need to pick some specialized people and shit, by the time we leave our solar system if we can make it that far, we will actually need to manipulate our DNA.

bcleez,

lwien

mlid said:
So first do you guys think we have a purpose?
There seems to be an instinct to leave this world a bit better than what it was when we first entered it, and that can manifest itself in many forms, from being Mother Theresa incarnate, to building a better computer, to finding a cure for AIDS, to raising a child that has the potential to make a positive difference, or simply, to smile at a stranger.

Which brings up something else that really intrigues me. Did ya ever think about what kind of very simple acts that you may do that may have a dramatic affect on someone else's life and how that can spin off into directions that you never ever thought possible. That that simple smile to that stranger walking down the street may have caused him/her to think about something that they haven't thought about in a long time, and how that could possibly affect someone else, and what are the possible monumental results of that?

lwien,

jumpoff_the_planet

I think that our purpose here on earth is to eat, drink, sleep and make babies.

Our minds like to think we have a greater purpose and I think that is a great thing that we aquired through evolution.

We have the power to create a greater purpose for ourselves and I don't believe many (if any) animals can do this.

I think different people can create different purpose's for themselves and everyone can be right as long as that purpose doesn't hurt others or is completely self-serving.

I believe we all must make sacrifices for the good of humanity as a whole and that is the only way we will be able to colonize the universe.

Bcleez: def agree with what you said about space exploration and population and water wars!

I used to want kids but now I'm not so sure because what kind of life will they have in 40 years??

:2c:

:peace:

jumpoff_the_planet,

Mckdenton

lwien said:
Which brings up something else that really intrigues me. Did ya ever think about what kind of very simple acts that you may do that may have a dramatic affect on someone else's life and how that can spin off into directions that you never ever thought possible. That that simple smile to that stranger walking down the street may have caused him/her to think about something that they haven't thought about in a long time, and how that could possibly affect someone else, and what are the possible monumental results of that?
My pals and I just had a pretty intense convo about this exact topic the other day. "What if" scenarios are always interesting. Ohhhh the butterfly effect. :peace:

Mckdenton,

mlid

i hate that are society has turned every thing to money and material objects. Its always is " work work work" and "make money". I would be fine in life if a was living in a shack as long i was happy and with people i loved. but instead we make are selfs go through stress and get up every day and go to work and things. And the worst part is that no matter what i say an think i know that i will still have to get up and do these things. We can never break away from the trajetory path of everything :/

mlid,

mlid

oh and has anybody read the book ishmael? its great, it has some every interesting concepts its by Daniel Quinn. i recommend it

mlid,

lwien

mlid said:
i hate that are society has turned every thing to money and material objects. Its always is " work work work" and "make money". I would be fine in life if a was living in a shack as long i was happy and with people i loved. but instead we make are selfs go through stress and get up every day and go to work and things. And the worst part is that no matter what i say an think i know that i will still have to get up and do these things. We can never break away from the trajetory path of everything :/
I believe the idea is to find something that you have a passion for doing and do that, for if you do, you will have a very good chance of being very successful in that endeavor and find it pretty difficult to call it "work" rather than "play".

lwien,

nasti

in pursuit of happiness is the purpose of life.

if there were no potential of any happiness in anything we did, we will not do it.

but there are many misconceptions of happiness, and in fact its often mistaken for look-alikes.... such as thinking happiness is always being in a state of pleasure or joy....

I kinda forget my point.....

ok there are 2 worlds...
1 is on the global aspect, big world... politics, economies, nationalism and history and 2 is on a personal aspect, small world. family life, fds, stuff..
The answer to the question depends on which context you are asking from. which world are you currently concerned with?....

nasti,

vapirtoo

Iwien got it right ,our society exists between individual interactions. Improve your interactions and society improves. Look at the back of your launch box.
Peace out

vapirtoo,

nasti

I have another question.

Will you choose the red or blue pill.

choose to live life as you know it. or pursue the truth?

nasti,

lwien

nasti said:
Will you choose the red or blue pill.
What about the little white ones, the big white ones, and the yellow ones, and the red and blue caps, and the black caps. Fuck, now where in the hell is my PDR. :|

lwien,
Top Bottom