Phase3 Vaporizers

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I can't remember all the designs from this thread but have you thought about a better Elev8R?

It seems like spiked glass already works well, it just needs to be designed with a coil in mind rather than as an afterthought. It also seems like it would be easier to manufacture than something that requires machining to close tolerances :shrug:

That’s sort of what the 1.7 was positioned as, a purpose built ball head for coils. IMHO the dimples have little benefit in an enail coil setup though as the dimpling affects the roundness of the part which affects the coil contact/heat transfer.

I might just bring back the 1.7 with some minor modifications to eliminate the CNC component. I was thinking maybe slot or grid some inlets on top in lieu of the 7x holes. I had considered doing it that way with the CNC a while back, like two or three slotted inlets.

I came up with a novel way of heating a longer spiked tube in an even manner, which I think would be very effective, but it would have to be sized more for a completed consumer product, like an Evo type device.

On the other hand, I also have some possible improvements for the next generation of my Sand Castle Vapor Wand.

Its currently a DIY based on off the shelf parts like a quartz joint and beads, but I’ve had a dream to complete it into one unibody quartz heater with a CNC machined tip. IMHO the vapor wand has some real usability upgrades over other similar stored heat torch vapes by being much easier to get into the bowl, but I’ve been wanting to add a few more finishing touches to bump up the aesthetics. I realized the heater concept I posted a page ago should also work great for my SCVW. It also inspired a re-design of my InVection concept I’ve been tinkering with for a while.
Yeah I’m high-polar.... 😌 interestingly, even though it sounds like I have all these concepts, it’s really just a small handful of ideas, spread out across 400 iterations 😂
your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

They were definitely talking about the next generation Vapor Wand! 😇😇😇

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Been rocking the ole’ 1.5 lately, and it’s cool, but I decided to plug in my broken InV1.7... damn! - You can really feel it spooling up 🌪🌪🌪

I’m gonna have to get that fucker replaced!! Effortless big rips, the 1.5 airflow just can’t compare.

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
Sorry for not posting this sooner, I really should have done it by now!

So I've been enjoying my inVersion 1.7 very much indeed for about 2.5 to 3 weeks. I've put a hell of a lot of heat cycles into it, and so far no complaints regarding longevity.

It arrived packaged in a ring box (inventive and it made me laugh) with a couple of screens. I ordered some 3mm rubies to fill the heater, it's got about 4 grams in there at the moment, I think I could fit a few more in there but I haven't tried yet. I should try this soon as I've not put in as many rubies as I was advised!

IMG_20211104_145751_copy_1280x590.jpgIMG_20211104_145756_copy_1280x590.jpgIMG_20211104_145810_copy_1280x590.jpg

I had a 16mm coil sitting around, and an auber PID to pair it with. The coil needed rewiring but no big deal. The first time I fitted the coil exactly as it came from China. This was a mistake. I didn't get a very good contact and had to turn the PID up a lot higher than I should have needed. I then had the heater fall out of the coil when hot (shhh @Shadooz 😉), it only fell a couple of inches onto some bubble wrap so no damage but it did get quite messy! I gave it a clean up and left it for a day or two. Next attempt at fitting the coil was much much better! I spread the windings out a bit and this made it so much easier to get snug all the way up the inVersion. I have tried a number of times to get the heater to fall out and it won't happen, at least at the much lower temp I ended up at.

Now onto performance... So I grabbed my j hook and elev8r bowl, and filled it with some zkittlez. I put the usual amount I would use with the torch driven elev8r. First hit, oooh! Supremely tasty and pretty dense for hit number 1. Exhale, stir, hit again. Wow! Vapour starts to build instantly this time, it's very dense, super tasty, and holy shit that was a lungful on the exhale! This one knocks the wind of of me slightly... Stir again, replace the heater for hit 3. This one takes me by surprise, it's absolutely massive again and makes me cough a little. Flavour still surprisingly good. Final stir and cleanup hit, flavour is pretty much spent by now, but holy crap that final hit was way bigger than I was expecting. Empty the bowl, put inV back on the stand. As I sit back and the last couple of hits start kicking in it feels like I just had a dab that was a bit too big! I had to sit back stunned for a good 30 secs. I have never experienced this from flower, not once, up until now!

A little while later, after some recovery time I went in again... Exactly the same experience! This thing is so hard hitting I've had to reduce the bowl size by about a third so that I don't go over the top too frequently lol!

I've settled on a PID temp of 515f for now. It's on the hot side but doesn't scorch. The recovery time is about as long as it takes to exhale ensuring maximum absorption, and stir the bowl. Once the load is hot you can draw on it as hard as you want, it will just keep pumping out the vapour until the load is finished or you run out of breath. You can take it a bit easier too for a slightly denser hit, but really, no matter how you draw the vapour will get thick quick.

IMG_20211104_145742_copy_1280x590.jpg

To conclude, the vapour from the inVersion 1.7 is the densest convection vapour I've ever experienced. It's super tasty, and surely delivers the effects, pretty much effortlessly. All my other vapes have been neglected since I got the 1.7 up and running, everything considered, it's hardly surprising!

Now, to be totally selfish, anyone who thinks they might want one of these should get in touch with @invertedisdead somehow and pester him hard! I want him to make some more so I can buy a spare! 🤣 G'wan man, you know it makes sense! 😁

arb

Semi shaved ape
What an excellent testimonial, truly sweet music to my ears @Cheebsy 🎻🎻🎺🎷
It’s really great to hear that you are enjoying it, that makes me smile! 😁

And it looks setup and dialed in perfectly!
I would like to get some more going to replace mine and get more in people’s hands!
I would like to get back in line myself...........I swear THIS time I won't break it.
😩

I miss that muff.............herd.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Old one CIRCA 2020
Funny how it had my other bowl style I’m thinking of moving to... 😂 hindsight, does it even exist? 🧐

9-D33566-F-7802-4182-8-D2-A-589-D003614-C1.jpg

Back when I was thinking of bringing the GS back and just dropping a cartridge in the bead body and skipping Jojo’s glass thermometer housing for improved heat transfer...!

I might order a few of these to build, seems fun. I feel like this is a cool form factor, I think Bud was one onto something there. I like that you don’t have to flip the heater over like a log. And now that the vape community is into DIY kits, could even send some out like that if someone else wanted to play along.
Might dimension this out and send this to my original glass blower who built my first parts. No CNC capabilities there but the work was excellent quality.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Hi

Are these available to buy? Where can I order one?

I have tried the elev8r and I'd like to give this one a try too.

David

What’s up David,

Im out of the 1.7 but I have two of my 20mm 1.5’s available, they’re both prototypes and have been used so I would sell them for a modest price.

Here’s my 1.5 loaded with 4mm sapphires; it’s rarely ever powered off.
4-ED09090-69-F0-4-C13-B766-05-C92-A8-CFCC7.jpg

I’ll be ordering some newer stuff real soon.

Seems like most of the other concepts I post haven’t gone over that well so I’ll probably just keep doing what I’ve been doing. I’m not sure why I even try to do anything different, these all work great.

I think my next InVerzion Vaporizer will be like a blend of 1.5 and 1.7, based around my smaller 18mm bowl platform I’ve been thinking about.

Last edited:

arb

Semi shaved ape
Peter was allowed to cry Wolf twice you know. Don't bind yourself to anything just yet.

You may have more room for weasle and exploit! 😀
I think you may be on to something butt there's a bit more wiggle left in the old diggle yet.
💗
What’s up David,

Im out of the 1.7 but I have two of my 20mm 1.5’s available, they’re both prototypes and have been used so I would sell them for a modest price.

Here’s my 1.5 loaded with 4mm sapphires; it’s rarely ever powered off.
4-ED09090-69-F0-4-C13-B766-05-C92-A8-CFCC7.jpg

I’ll be ordering some newer stuff real soon.

Seems like most of the other concepts I post haven’t gone over that well so I’ll probably just keep doing what I’ve been doing. I’m not sure why I even try to do anything different, these all work great.

I think my next InVerzion Vaporizer will be like a blend of 1.5 and 1.7, based around my smaller 18mm bowl platform I’ve been thinking about.
Sounds like this ones playing my song..........it's got a great beat and I think I can dance to it.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
@madhockeydad @Green Kiwi
Most definitely! :rockon:

butt there's a bit more wiggle left in the old diggle

Save some for your mixtape! 😂

Okay this is all making sense again where this project needs to go!

I’ll make it so the next InVerzion has DUAL FUEL flexibility like that new Hyundai. Externally with a 20MM XLR coil and a PID
OR
Internally with a cartridge heater and VVPS

I’ll bring back the “coil arm“ used on all previous versions besides 1.7 for safer and easier securing of the coil through the coil clip “suspension system”, eliminating the direct friction fit; or if heated internally, the coil arm would function as a handle.

I will take the airflow pattern from my 1.7 and enlarge it slightly, to match the increased mass of the slightly larger 20mm body. And it will be filled with my sapphire packing.

And it will use a new (but familiar) 18mm gong bowl system which sits inside the heater for better airflow distribution. The idea is being sized down a bit to microdose easily off small amounts and still pull dense clouds, but also big enough to hold ~.25g or more with a very minor tamp. Basically a dosing capsule and a half’s worth... maybe a little more.

51870-E8-C-6069-4-BEB-9-EF9-B36-F40922-B5-E.jpg

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Im still camping and waiting!

How long till the 1.7 is back and available again? I may have missed the price also….

edit: I just read the above post again and it seems you are designing the next iteration after 1.7?

What's up dude!

Yeah the 1.7 is very likely (price pertaining) being converted over to the 1.777 design above.

So this new design isn't actually too new - I was going to move to this style for the last version, but ultimately decided to stay with the same bowl and built InV1.7 instead. I think I posted a green drawing of it some number of pages back, the main difference is that one had two glass screens to house the beads, and used my "pearl loading hole" idea which was ultimately too complicated to build. By just sticking to the metal bottom screen the design should be more cost effective again since its designed to be built in less steps.

For me the performance of 1.7 was an improvement over previous versions, and my hypothesis on heater size and airflow matched my expectations, which was awesome. IMO the balance between draw restriction and flow rate is very nice.

Ultimately I didn't love the fitment compared to my coil armed versions, which was all of them but 1.7 - the reason the coil arm was omitted on 1.7 is because it was sized down to 16mm, and wouldn't be possible to slip the coil on. I did consider dropping a cartridge heater in there, which would work, as thats basically the same platform the G was built on - a 19mm male joint. The coil arm makes it easy to remove for full deep cleaning, and just makes installing to a coil simpler, especially when the coils and heaters aren't specifically being paired together here. The friction fit is more reliable when you can pair both parts for an ideal tolerance.

The idea with 1.777 is to keep the design simple enough to not cost too much to build (the 1.7 was a breakthrough in this department) while retaining all the improvements learned from every other version.

I believe this bowl system is going to make this one stand out from my others. I'm expecting even quicker, denser vapor, but with a bit more efficiency gained. And reduced or (hopefully) eliminated stirring. Plus it will be able to sit on the bowl again which should make it simpler for some folks who are otherwise intimated by holding the vape to the bowl like a lighter.

The potential to run off an XLR coil or a cartridge heater from the same housing is pretty epic. As an open source centric platform I think that makes a lot of sense, more versatility, more room for folks to tinker and experiment. Seems to better fit the original nature of this concept which I think is really cool!

madhockeydad

Art is beauty
Hi

I like having the vape fit to the bowl. It's not just convenience. For some people they may not be able to do it or not do it safely. Plus - just thinking about - if everyone holds it there is always going to be some variation of angle that may affect the results. I think having a fitted joint would be one approach to more precisely aligning the geometry. What do you think? I've never built a vape before but logically that seems important.

D

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I really like this concept and the dual heating options. Do you have any feelings as to how the experience with differ with the different heaters?

Not really! :lol:

From a thermodynamics perspective, internal heating is theoretically better since there's no radiant heat wasted.

But you actually get more "heated surface area" by heating externally (since there's more room for beads) and realistically, the coils really don't emit much radiant heat at working temps - a single jet torch has worlds more radiant heat energy.

From a puritan perspective, external heat source is probably unparalleled for "cleanliness"

Internal has a "safer" vibe to it, and should actually be, since the quartz will act as an insulator in that role, instead of a heatsink when hooked to a coil.

I can appreciate dainty little things so the internal one might be more fun to play with, grabbing the little handle and putting it on your bowl like the old school smoke ritual.

I would expect airflow to be pretty similar

I have one 1.5 housing left here (thank you, anonymous shopper!) that I could probably load one in.

Then each heater option sort of gets into PID vs VVPS - IMO no real contest, PID is superior, but, external heating isn't as responsive ; and the heat capacity is already so high with the gems and quartz that I'm not sure all of the benefits of the PID truly translate with this mass. Now a cartridge heater with a thermocouple could be run off a PID and would be preferable, that's what the Glass Symphony used - but those seem tricky to find in this length. Pair that with a low mass bead pack and heatup from cold would be quite fast.

Hi

I like having the vape fit to the bowl. It's not just convenience. For some people they may not be able to do it or not do it safely. Plus - just thinking about - if everyone holds it there is always going to be some variation of angle that may affect the results. I think having a fitted joint would be one approach to more precisely aligning the geometry. What do you think? I've never built a vape before but logically that seems important.

D

Yeah it has to be a simple seal to make it easy for people to use it comfortably; the 1.7 had a trimmed down joint so it still seals in a glass adapter/bowl, though the quality of the fit can depend on the adapter: my high quality scientific ones fit better than the cheapo import ones, I guess you get what you pay for. I'm down to my last good one too so I shouldn't even be talking about it in case of voodoo 😄

The problem with fitted joints is various issues, with this design its joining the 16mm tube the joint is formed on to the 20mm tubing. It's not hard to do but it's hard to do and keep the distance minimized which matters with this design as the dimensions are pretty important to the balance of the heater. This new design seals the heater to the bowl by sitting in the taper where the joint expands, as a simple seal that wont bind up like ground glass can. Plus the idea with this new bowl is hot air on the perimeter should slam into the top circumference of the bowl, causing extra turbulent eddys to form and mix hot air towards the edges of the bowl for even heating / baking. Well that's the idea anyway!

In other news, rummaged through my toy box last night, pulled out another concept from earlier this year, holy cow this thing instantly whitewalls a tube. Got so medicated I redesigned the whole thing last night, maybe I'll pursue that one further at some point. But it sorts of ties in to a goal Ive always sorta had this whole time which is to make "the closest vape to doing an old school bong hit as possible" type thing.

Here's a little clip!

Top Bottom