PHASE3 MAKO Cooling Stem for Dynavap

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
seawatch_mako_shark.jpg

Howdy FC friends and family!
Introducing MAKO, the new budget friendly cooling stem by PHASE3!

Designed to accommodate your favorite Dynavap tips, and with zero moving parts or instruction manuals necessary, MAKO features a plurality of internal cooling fins to produce an extremely high surface area, and provide powerful cooling in a low maintenance stem.

Tapered, flattened mouthpiece for improved ergonomics.
MAKO is fabricated from 100% medical grade 316L stainless steel and is 62MM in length.

3657962469.jpg

3657980134.jpg

3657962474.jpg

3657551668.jpg

3657520949.jpg

3657520944.jpg

The MAKO is available for purchase right now in limited quantities for an introductory price of just $30 USD.

Thank you kindly for the opportunity to create these products!

💜 - your friendly neighborhood phase change experts
www.gophase3.com

Last edited:

someguy

Is it cast metal? It has that rough surface finish I associate with cast metal.
Are the internal fins removable for cleaning?

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
That looks fantastic buddy, if I still used my DV I'd jump right on this for sure.

Cheers my friend!!

Is it cast metal? It has that rough surface finish I associate with cast metal.
Are the internal fins removable for cleaning?

These are 3D printed. Not removable, just drop the whole thing in alcohol.

I apologize for the poor photos, I need a new phone bad!

Tried to take a few new pics showing off the shark fins, truly a massive amount of surface area for its small size.

3657962469.jpg

3657980134.jpg

3657962474.jpg

Last edited:

InhaleExhale

Bought on a whim since it's only $30! I've never used anything beyond native Dynavap stems before so this was my first venture into something new. The hard thing for me has been to find time to try it out since I'm so in love with my Phase3 ZX experience! :love:

My limited observations is that the stem does a fantastic amount of cooling for it's short length. I have a 2017 "short" Omni which is similar in length and it's way more hot/harsh (and so hasn't been used much) when used natively. There is no fiddle factor, just connect the head, load your bud and cap it, and drop into your favorite IH. I'm using standard (non-armored) caps.

I ISO washed it once I received it and rinsed heavily, cannot run a Q-tip through because of the fins. Haven't noticed any extra taste from the stainless. After 3rd heat cycle the body starts to get hot (as expected).

Only cons I have is that it's a little hard to find the carb and that Dynvap heads aren't uniform. For the carb I have to visually locate it between the IH and my mouth. It's closer to the mouthpiece than the standard DV airport, there is no physical reference to finding it. For the DV head issue I received an unknown-year stainless tip when I ordered a Wand for Black Friday last year and it doesn't fit, the neck of the tip is slightly too wide to fit in the Mako stem. I instead put in a Ti tip/cap from a DV I purchased in 2017 instead, and also tried a 22 Ti stem - both fit fine. That stainless tip is the only stainless tip I have as everything else I've purchased from DV is Ti, so I cannot try another. Everyone who follows DV knows their parts don't always mate - my friend once got a Ti tip that was similarly too large for an old-style Vong body. Neither are major con, but worth mentioning.

I'm about to head off the radar for a few weeks (no ZX :uhoh:) and the Mako stem is coming along instead of an Omni stem!

Hope you are able to sell more of these since the DV market appears to have slowed down recently!

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Would you be able to do a larger one for the Dani too? Seems like the heat from those overpowers a lot of the smaller stems.

Sorry for missing this post, I was asked to do some in 9MM so it's definitely possible, though realistically these were designed for Dynavap which heats up fast. Anything that takes a long time to heat up is going to dump a lot of heat into the system and would probably work better in a redesign focused around that.

Bought on a whim since it's only $30! I've never used anything beyond native Dynavap stems before so this was my first venture into something new. The hard thing for me has been to find time to try it out since I'm so in love with my Phase3 ZX experience! :love:

My limited observations is that the stem does a fantastic amount of cooling for it's short length. I have a 2017 "short" Omni which is similar in length and it's way more hot/harsh (and so hasn't been used much) when used natively. There is no fiddle factor, just connect the head, load your bud and cap it, and drop into your favorite IH. I'm using standard (non-armored) caps.

I ISO washed it once I received it and rinsed heavily, cannot run a Q-tip through because of the fins. Haven't noticed any extra taste from the stainless. After 3rd heat cycle the body starts to get hot (as expected).

Only cons I have is that it's a little hard to find the carb and that Dynvap heads aren't uniform. For the carb I have to visually locate it between the IH and my mouth. It's closer to the mouthpiece than the standard DV airport, there is no physical reference to finding it. For the DV head issue I received an unknown-year stainless tip when I ordered a Wand for Black Friday last year and it doesn't fit, the neck of the tip is slightly too wide to fit in the Mako stem. I instead put in a Ti tip/cap from a DV I purchased in 2017 instead, and also tried a 22 Ti stem - both fit fine. That stainless tip is the only stainless tip I have as everything else I've purchased from DV is Ti, so I cannot try another. Everyone who follows DV knows their parts don't always mate - my friend once got a Ti tip that was similarly too large for an old-style Vong body. Neither are major con, but worth mentioning.

I'm about to head off the radar for a few weeks (no ZX :uhoh:) and the Mako stem is coming along instead of an Omni stem!

Hope you are able to sell more of these since the DV market appears to have slowed down recently!

Thanks sooooo much for the stellar feedback and rocking with PHASE3, that means a lot!

This is meant to be used without a condenser, correct? The fins run the whole length of the body inside?

Correct! No condenser, the entire stem is the condenser here!

I'm sold out of these for right now, it was just a small sample run for evaluation. I could order more if there's enough interest.

One owner on Discord said they didn't feel like it did any cooling, everyone else I've heard from had pretty good feedback and said it worked great and had nice airflow compared to other stems. I'm definitely open to making more if the demand is there. Maybe I'll run a preorder to actually gauge interest. I think the rougher texture probably scared some folks away, I could make the next ones much smoother, though it would raise the price to do so as the polishing process is fairly expensive.

coolbreeze

Sorry for missing this post, I was asked to do some in 9MM so it's definitely possible, though realistically these were designed for Dynavap which heats up fast. Anything that takes a long time to heat up is going to dump a lot of heat into the system and would probably work better in a redesign focused around that.

Thanks sooooo much for the stellar feedback and rocking with PHASE3, that means a lot!

Correct! No condenser, the entire stem is the condenser here!

I'm sold out of these for right now, it was just a small sample run for evaluation. I could order more if there's enough interest.

One owner on Discord said they didn't feel like it did any cooling, everyone else I've heard from had pretty good feedback and said it worked great and had nice airflow compared to other stems. I'm definitely open to making more if the demand is there. Maybe I'll run a preorder to actually gauge interest. I think the rougher texture probably scared some folks away, I could make the next ones much smoother, though it would raise the price to do so as the polishing process is fairly expensive.
I somehow missed this but I'm in for the next batch! :clap::tup::rockon:

InhaleExhale

Been using this stem w/Dynavap exclusively while traveling (and away from my beloved ZX 😭) and have a few more long-term items to add to my earlier review:
  • Pro: Very smooth vapor. The smoothness does come at the expense of flavor, but the results are as expected/desired. :tup:
  • Con: I can't get more than 4 heat cycles off a bowl before the stem body starts to get to be too hot to handle. With a DV multiple heat cycles are kind of expected. I like to hit the DV "while hot" (~30 seconds after the cool-down click) without a lengthy cool-down period since it helps with vapor production.
Some degree of insulation or maybe a thicker portion of stem near the mouthpiece might further help with the heat dissipation. Or maybe something to insulate the DV head from the SS Mako body; or add some length to the stem to help insulate with heat transfer. Of course these things would affect cost - for $30 the amount of cooling is astonishing!

No regrets with buying, will continue to use this stem when my ZX isn't available.

Top Bottom