Perlite, or something else?

Vapor Duff

A week ago, my friend got a hold of of some OK stuff and split it with me. Now that I've been vaping on it for the past week, I've noticed upon further inspection, little white rocks once it's ran through a grinder. They're roughly the size of a ballpoint pinhead, are semi translucent and milky-white in color, have a neutral taste and smell, and disintegrates into a soapy residue when rubbed between my index finger and thumb. Searching online brought me to one answer: the rock perlite, commonly used in indoor grows and cheap ceilings. I have a few questions:

1. Is perlite what I'm describing? (sorry, but I cannot provide pictures)

2. Should I trash this stash, or it it safe? If not, could I potentially cook with it?

3. How harmful is it if it's continuously used?

Thanks in advance!

Vapor Duff,

max

Out to lunch
Hammerzeit said:
Can you post some pictures? :/
Did you read the whole post? He said he can't.

Is perlite what I'm describing?
Could be. I'm no expert though. Vermiculite seems similar. A big difference is that perlite doesn't retain much water and vermiculite does. They're often used in conjunction. The bad thing about perlite is that the dust is said to be bad for your lungs. Doesn't sound like something a responsible mj grower should be using.

max,

Vapor Duff

I managed to snag my brother's laptop to take a rather low-quality picture:

(taken down)

I also discovered we had some poinsettia's growing that have what I believe is perlite in the soil. Comparatively, the stuff in the plant soil is very chalky upon disintegration, while the stuff I found is very slick and soapy feeling.

Vapor Duff,

Snafu

time to start growing your own :( that stuff might be soap stone to make it weigh more or could just have been something that was smooshed in the nugs before making their way from another state/country

what ever it may be i wouldnt trust it in my lungs :):2c:

Snafu,

Beezleb

I looked up perlite. Seems like a material used in growing plants, seems commonly used to make the soil have more air. Said the dust was bad.

I could not tell but seems like it would be very light and as such it would not make sense to put on bud for weight. Does it float? Perlite should float I guess.

Anyways, thats nasty and I would certainly look for another source. I cannot for the life of me think of way where its ok for any type of little rocks to be in the plant material. Well, perhaps but a stretch in attempt to make it more look more sugary maybe? Still bizarre.

I would bet its some material with the intent of adding weight.

Beezleb,

Hammerzeit

max said:
Hammerzeit said:
Can you post some pictures? :/
Did you read the whole post? He said he can't.

No idea how but I missed that part. :/

Could they be insect eggs or something? I have no idea how growing medium would end up in the harvested product...

Hammerzeit,

midnight rider

pretty sure perlite doesn't break up into soapy stuff, would also suspect soapstone to add weight like a previous poster suggested. either way you may not want to patronize folks who would pull either lame ass stunt on you, i wouldn't. be safe and let us know if you find out more

midnight rider,

Nycdeisel

either way, insect eggs or otherwise, its disgusting. I was kinda dealing with the same thing(not that exactly^ but problems like this) its the damn black market :mad: :disgust:

I wish I could grow my own :cry:

Nycdeisel,
Top Bottom